✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
---- UPDATED (24/12/14) REVIEW BEGINS ----...
Published 19 months ago by DARKcell

2.0 out of 5 stars Review after several months of ownership
I've always used TomTom for my sat nav devices, this is by far the worst I've used.

1. Traffic through my phone connection. For months my iPhone would not connect to give me traffic updates despite my phone saying it was connected while TomTom said it could not find my device (iPhone 5s). A recent firmware update does seem to have resolved that issue...
Published 12 months ago by Mr. A. Josling

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Apple sat-nav, the iGO. Toyota won't be happy. Wait, it's made by who?..., 14 Aug. 2013
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 UK & Ireland - 5" Sat Nav with Full UK & Ireland Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Smartphone Connected and Interactive Screen (Electronics)
---- UPDATED (24/12/14) REVIEW BEGINS ----
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

*** I try to update this review regularly, but to see the full list of software updates, visit the TomTom website here http://bit.ly/VtrbFW. ***

This is an in depth product review (updated after almost 18 months use) for TomTom's premium navigation device, the GO 6000 (but will also largely apply to any of the GO X0, GO X00 and GO X000 devices - for this reason, I have also placed this review within their respective pages). My aim is to provide an honest viewpoint that will help you make a decision about purchasing, whether you're a complete newcomer to sat-navs, or use them on a daily basis. In certain aspects, I will compare this device to my previous sat-nav, a TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World. In recent reviews of TomTom's latest sat-navs I have seen a worrying trend of consumers buying a product without really realising what that specific model can, and more importantly can't do. I will attempt to enlighten you all.

---- TOMTOM GO X0/X00/X000 PRODUCT RANGE DIFFERENCES ----

Let's get this out the way.
There are essentially three separate ranges of the TomTom GO series, the X0, X000 and X000. All of these sat-navs have screen sizes designated by their first number (e.g. GO 50 and GO 5000 have a 5" screen, GO 600 and GO 6000 have a 6" screen). If you're comparing sat-navs with the same number of '0's after the screen size number, then as far as I'm aware, the only differences are going to be screen size and screen resolution (resolution improving as you go up screen sizes). All of the GO sat-navs have the same software within them, and all come with lifetime TomTom map updates (that's not your lifetime!).

GO 40, 50 and 60 :
This is the newest range (and cheapest) of the series. They are entry level sat-navs. The major (with a capital 'M') feature that differentiates these devices from the other GO sat-navs, is that they have a resistive screen. The GO X00 and GO X000 sat-navs all have capacitive screens. A resistive screen registers pressure on the screen, so it's older technology, therefore costing less. Capacitive screens are what you'll find on all modern smartphones; smooth glass that require no actual pressure on the screen to register input. Capacitive is more modern, and better in my opinion, therefore costing more. Connection to Live services (i.e. traffic) is done via a smartphone (explained further just below).

GO 500 and 600 (There used to be a GO 400, but that has been discontinued by TomTom) :
These mid-range GO sat-navs use capacitive screens, so in my opinion are better than the above range. This range (X00) compares directly to the X000 below, but differs in one major way - connectivity. The X00 range connects to TomTom Live services (i.e. traffic) via a smartphone. This simply means that you need a smartphone (I believe only iPhone or Android) with you at all times if you want to get traffic updates, which you do. To find out if your phone is compatible: http://goo.gl/KQx346. Keep in mind you will be using up data on your phone, so review your contract etc before purchase.

GO 5000 and 6000 :
These are the premium sat-navs from TomTom. They have a capacitive screen, and are 'always connected'. Simply put, they get traffic updates automatically, as they have a sim-card inside. There is no need to connect your phone to it ever, or even have your phone with you.

---- AESTHETICS AND ACCESSORIES ----

It's beautiful. Simple.
I liked the look of my previous sat-nav, but in my opinion this is even more attractive. The corners are more rounded and I prefer the grey plastic on the front as opposed to the black. The 6 inch model is massive, but then it was always going to be. With a recent software update, you can now change the size of text and buttons; small, medium or large. I prefer the small, but I imagine people with eyesight issues will be glad of this enlarging ability.
Bottom line, I love the size of the 6" sat-nav and don't regret it. If justification to the wife for forking out extra for a bigger screen is needed, then you can always claim it's safer!

The supplied window mount is just like the one provided with my old GO LIVE 1005, only better. I had a few issues with the old one where I'd slot the device into the mount, and just presume it was charging, only for it to die at the most inopportune moment. This time, the charging cable (micro-USB & same length as previous) plugs directly into the back of the mount, never touching the actual sat-nav. The magnet holding the device in place is also stronger than previously, as anything less than a firm pull will simply tilt the mount. To date, this is the best window mount for any sat-nav I have owned/used, it just works.

18 months ago, none of the GO series came with a case. I purchased TomTom's own universal case for 6 inch sat-navs for £20 from Amazon (I believe the one currently being offered with the GO 50 'Winter Edition'). I wasn't massively impressed. In the first six months, it was a tight fit; I mean very tight. Once opened you could hold it upside down and the sat-nav wouldn't budge. This might be a plus for some, but for me it became a pain to put in and out, something that would surely push the security-stupid to leave it on show. The case provides protection from scratches, very minor spills and being bumped around in the glove box. I would NOT want to drop it from normal holding height, even onto carpet. The interior of the case is designed in such a way that forces me to put the sat-nav in backwards, avoiding the risk of the ridiculously placed positioning material scratching the screen (not the touch screen part, but still the glass surrounding it). Clearly designed late on a Friday afternoon! My leather case for my old 5 inch sat-nav was a lot better in my opinion, if they ever sell one for my GO 6000, I'll definitely get one. TomTom also do a huge case that I've never used/seen that can hold accessories, as well as varying cases for smaller devices.
All of this said, after around six months of use, the case has loosened somewhat, and has become slightly easier to live with. I'd still prefer my old case back however!

---- NAVIGATION, TRAFFIC, MAPS AND SPEED CAMERAS ----

After almost 18 months of use, I can confidently say this sat-nav is accurate in terms of arrival times and distances. I doubt the stuff under the hood that calculates these things has changed from my old model, so I'll state what that could do, for reference, if nothing else. The GO LIVE 1005 has been to the minute accurate (on arrival times) for a + 100 mile trip, and within 5-10 minutes for a 400 mile journey. I can confirm that in my experiences, the GO series provides similar levels of accuracy.

The speed at which it finds your route is better than any sat-nav I have used before. I just performed a speed test. From the main map screen through to it having properly started navigating me for a 100 mile journey, took exactly 20 seconds. That included me typing in the address. The destination was new to the sat-nav, and was not stored in my favourites, or as they are now called 'Places'. Re-routing is fast. Not instant, but an average of 2-5 seconds and it realises what's going on. On previous models I have experienced lag round corners and roundabouts where it thinks I'm still an exit behind. Even while driving at speed, the GO series of sat-navs keeps up on the majority of occasions.

- THINGS YOU CAN DO TO YOUR CURRENT ROUTE -
- Clear route
- Find alternative
- Avoid blocked road (yes sports fans, it's finally here - not that I've ever needed it!)
- Avoid toll roads and more
- Add stop to route
- Add to my routes (save the route to your favourites effectively)
- Change route type (fastest, shortest, eco, avoid motorways, walking, cycling)
- Reorder stops
- Drive to route
- Play route preview (watch a sped-up version of your upcoming route)

When arriving at a destination, it informs you of which side of the road the address is on and where the house number is. It is either exact, very close, or wildly off. When tested against Google Maps on my phone however, I get very similar results, with certain house number/road name combinations confusing it massively. On the whole, it is generally rather close to the house number you have entered.

- TRAFFIC -
TomTom in my opinion and experience provide better traffic updates than any other manufacturer. As mentioned previously, with all of the GO sat-navs, you get lifetime (the lifetime of the product) traffic for free. Can't complain. You again have the option of it automatically re-routing you, asking you what to do, or just ploughing on into known traffic.

- MAPS -
You now get lifetime (of the product) free map updates which results in at least four downloads a year.

- SPEED CAMERAS -
You get three months free speed cameras, at which point you can either try and spot those yellow ******** built deliberately behind trees with your own eyes, or pony up £20/year. Logically, £20 is a lot less than what you would pay having got caught. Fine, points, insurance boost etc. But that's how they get you; there are other options. I use a combination of TomTom speed cameras in my GO sat-nav, alongside my phone running the app 'CamerAlert', with the database from the guys at PGPSW; which from memory is a similar price.

---- LAYOUT & FEATURES ----

At launch, the GO series was lacking a huge amount of features compared to its rivals; it was the very large, very pink, elephant in the room. I never really cared though, as they were features I never used. I never used bluetooth hands free calling, I never created my own POI's, I never used the 'Help Me' menu, the list goes on. I fully realise that many, many people will have strong opinions about certain missing features, but at the end of the day, that's why there's more than one company that makes sat-navs. TomTom has decided that this is the direction they wish to take their company, so either hop-on-board, or jump-ship.

Below is a non-exhaustive list in no particular order (broken into twos for ease of reading), of things I like, things I don't like, and things I think you may find helpful, regarding the layout and features:

-- The navigation screen is super clean. No clutter. That's good. To the point where you find yourself looking for things. That's not so good. Only recently has the clock found its way to the navigation screen, and this is ONLY when you actually have a route input. If you're just driving around without a route, then no time is visible. This probably isn't a huge issue for most, but I regularly use this device in a vehicle where the clock has been removed, so the option of having a clock on at all times would be nice.
-- There is also no battery meter on the main screen, irrelevant of whether or not a route has been plotted or if the device is charging. It's simply not there. You must press the four little dots at the bottom left to go to the main menu to see your battery. If you are charging the device, then you can't actually see how much of a charge is actually remaining, without unplugging the sat-nav. Over a year ago I suggested that the vertical cylindrical shaped icon on the navigation screen for the + and - zoom buttons could simply be filled (transparently) up with colour when the battery is full, and have the colour slowly drain down when the battery does. Simple, effective, no extra clutter, and it would look great. Recently a TomTom employee commented and said it was a good idea, so let's hope we see that, or something similar in the coming months.

-- Another battery related issue is that no matter how good the wired connection is, at times (through either a slightly faulty wire or a nudge with my knee), the device stops charging. If you're staring intently at the screen, then this is shown with the screen getting slightly darker. If you're not looking at the screen (which chances are, you won't be!), then it's basically impossible to tell. Meaning the sat-nav can die part way through a long journey as it hasn't been charging for hours. I'd like a visual and/or auditory (user selected) warning, letting me know that the device has been unplugged. Something that means that either immediately as it's unplugged, or when I glance at it 5 mins later, it's clear that it's not charging!
-- With the new (as of 27/06/14) 'dynamic route bar', you can now have both the remaining time and distance, showed at the same time. Finally! This is only available if you actually activate the dynamic route bar from within the settings, which simply put, makes it wider. It's still transparent, so you're not really losing any of your screen real estate. If you choose to have the thinner route bar, then you can't view the remaining time/distance at the same time. You are instead forced to choose between one, or have them change every three seconds. Which is not only a personal hate of mine, but also difficult to understand at a glance. They have improved it by having 'mi' or 'min' now displayed in a contrasting white colour, which makes it easier to read, but still. At a glance it's easy to confuse them, which makes you stare at it for three straight seconds, which could create some issues! My advice (if you're just using the thinner, non-dynamic route bar) is to have it on time remaining only. The distance until the next hazard/traffic/roadworks etc is already on the screen inside the route bar. If you're lucky enough to have a clear run, this will be your total remaining mileage.

-- Typing in addresses is finally enjoyable. The speed at which the letters respond to your touch is just (fractionally) shy of the iPhone 6 Plus (my only real benchmark), which is far better than any sat-nav I've owned in the past. Gone are the days when you had to enter the city first. Just type in the road name, and boom, it sorts it out.
-- As far as I can tell you still can't change the actual map colours. However, with the new (as of 27/06/14) 'Accent Colours' setting, you can change the colour of your route, your current position arrow, and a few highlights dotted around all the menus. I like the way the maps look, especially now I can have a bright green line showing my route, it stands out and looks good. Simple.

-- Pinch to zoom is good. Not on the same level as the iPhone 6 Plus, but it's getting there; slowly.
-- Your current speed goes orange if slightly over the speed limit, and red if 5mph or more over. You can also decide if you want the sat-nav start making aggresive noises if you're driving too fast!

-- Liked customisation ability and multiple menu options on previous TomTom sat-navs? Shop around. There is very little to customise (save for the new 'Accent Colours', but this won't satiate everyone) and the bare minimum of menus/options. On my old GO LIVE 1005, in the settings menu, there were 36 different further icons to click on, on the new GO series, there are around eight. And no, they haven't just condensed them extraordinarily well!
-- The navigation screen goes from day to night mode automatically at a certain time of day (I think relating to the sunset time, but I could be mistaken). This is a feature I really enjoy.

-- There is only one voice that comes standard, that is capable of reading aloud street names. There are many other voices however.
-- A fairly recent addition is the voice control. There are two ways of getting the TomTom to start listening to you; 1) Go the main menu and press 'Voice Control'; 2) Say, "Hey, TomTom". Once the sat-nav is listening to you, you can tell it to do practically anything. My issue is with the "Hey, TomTom" feature. With this feature turned on, the sat-nav is constantly listening, waiting for you to say the magic words. Saying "Hey, TomTom", is all well and good, but on a recent 2hr journey, it kept thinking I was saying it, when I was actually just listening to the radio. After half a dozen wrongful activations, I got fed up and switched it off. Not a massive issue for me, as I've never got on with voice control on any device; so it's an added feature that I'm sure many will love, but I'll happily keep off.

-- Another fairly recent addition is the sat-nav can read aloud warnings. So instead of just beeping, it will beep and shout at you to warn you of an approaching speed camera for example.
-- You can turn screen touch sounds on or off - I actually rather like them on.

-- From the main navigation screen, you can FINALLY, at-a-glance see if Live services have dropped out. A much needed feature, as annoyingly, it drops out more than I'd like - resetting the sat-nav quite often solves this, but again annoyingly, not always.
-- Tapping on your current-location arrow, brings up a quick menu allowing you to; report speed camera, mark location, change speed limit or avoid blocked road.

-- In 2D mode, tapping the highlighted route brings up another route-specific quick menu, allowing you to; clear route, find alternative route, change route type, add stop to route, manage route. Recently I had around a dozen different addresses to attend all within the same medium-sized city. I plugged them all in, by tapping on the current highlighted route, and clicking 'add stop to route'. These were in the wrong order, so after inputting them all, I selected 'reorder stops'. This brings up a very clear 2D map showing where you are, and every stop that you have inputted. You simply tap them in the order you wish to visit, ending up with your finish location. It's super quick, and super easy. I was seriously impressed.
-- Alternative routes. I like this a lot. You get to see the good old fashioned three route option, showing you how much longer the extra two routes will take.

---- CONNECTING DEVICE TO COMPUTER ----

The main issue I had was to discover the computer didn't recognise the sat-nav when it was sat in the window-mount, even though it registered as charging. Plug the micro-USB directly into the sat-nav and it connects to the computer straight away. I added my new device into my old TomTom account with very little trouble at all. The issues of the past are all but gone with the current MyDrive website from TomTom. It looks great, is very clear, and gets the job done smoothly.

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

---- CONCLUSION ----

This has been a ridiculously long review, and if you've made it this far I applaud you, as well as apologise. I do hope you've found it helpful!

The TomTom GO series of sat-navs is definitely an acquired taste. In my opinion this is what the first dedicated Apple sat-nav would be like. Attractive, minimalistic, speedy, with very few options for customisation. For what I require it to do, it does it, practically flawlessly. I can't remove stars for features that I wouldn't use, and for that reason, I initially gave it 4 stars, (now upgraded to 4.5 stars as explained below).

In the 18 months I've used this device, the impressively regular software updates has meant that I'm raising this review to 4.5 stars. If they keep up with them, and fix a few of the little niggles I've mentioned then, for me at least, this will be a 5 star navigation device.

Parts of this review may come across as a little negative, so let me say this - I love my TomTom GO. It's an intuitive, helpful, speedy, intelligent, impressive and downright beautiful navigation device that would look at home on any windscreen. The decision to purchase, as with most things, but even more so with these devices, is a very personal one. Simply put, it will either suit your needs or it won't. In which case I'd suggest you look at older TomToms or even show your distaste by giving a Garmin a go. Say that quickly over and over again. I dare you.

OVERVIEW
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, needs dependent
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
✓ Beautiful screen
✓ Premium look and feel
✓ Window mount
✓ Traffic is best around
✓ Route planning accuracy and speed
✓ Ease of use
✓ Typing speed
✓ Handy features that are easy to use
✓ Regular software updates

CONS (not necessarily for me):
✗ Lack of features compared to previous devices
✗ Placement of time and battery indicator and other fairly basic stuff

NB:
- Check to see if you can live without the missing features
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...

2.0 out of 5 stars Review after several months of ownership, 2 April 2014

2. The battery life is non-existent. To the point that even though my device is in it's dock pretty much all the time and plugged in to the charging port of my car, if I take it into the house of office to put in an address and plan a new route, the battery will go dead and the TomTom shuts down. I can now regularly be found on cold dark mornings sat in my car entering locations that I am heading to that day.

3. After the update that I refer to in point 1, my TomTom now has lost all the saved locations that I had. Ok, I had a back-up that I can restore from, but this must be the only product in the world that does not re-install your personal settings after an update.

4. Having realised my saved locations had been lost, I plugged my device into my PC this morning to attempt to retrieve them all. My device is connected via USB to my PC and confirms that it is connected to my PC. The TomTom software however tells me that I need to register a device to my account (already been done) and that there is no device currently connected (clearly not the case)

In summary, when it works it is everything I expect from TomTom. Unfortunately there are just too many "niggles" that should not be happening, it is a poor product and not recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs vast improvement, 19 Nov. 2013
I wanted to like this product. The screen is bright and easy to operate with a refreshing UI. But it's severley let down by very poor software and limited features that feel like they've really gone for style over substance here. I've used various TomTom sat navs for years and yes their software and especially support has always been poor, but when they worked, they worked brilliantly with traffic rerouting being one of their strongest areas. However this iteration is a huge step backwards to the point of unusability. So I've returned mine and stuck with an older model while I look at other options.

Pros:
- speed and responsiveness. Now moves in almost real time with the car. No lag.
- UI is great and makes others look really dated.

Cons:
- you need to 'tether' your mobile, they don't make this clear. This means turning on Personal Hotspot for iPhone (other smartphones have a similar function) as well as Bluetooth. This drains battery and is also subject to restrictions of your network as some phone companies disable it or charge extra to turn it on.
- very buggy software (e.g. current version doesn't allow you to connect an iphone so no live traffic and it also reboots randomly far too often)
- lots of useful features removed from previous models (no avoid road block option etc)
- you'll have to wait for future updates to reintroduce features, if at all.
- TomTom support; as useful as a chocolate teapot.

If they manage (and it's a BIG if) to restore features and fix the software then I might return to TomTom, but for now you must avoid this current crop of models. Pick up one of their Via or previous year's model instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish - Not worth the frustration., 22 Aug. 2014
Do not waste your money on this. The new operating system is full of bugs and the new interface is counter-intuitive.

There are other reviews on this item that are well written and clearly describe the faults. From my experience, they are informative and balanced. TomTom clearly haven't bothered to read them.

I have been using the 500 in the same car/environment as an old(er) 730 Live as I was considering replacing it (the 730) with the GO 500 or similar.

On 3 recent trips - with different start and stop locations - it has failed to find the satellites quickly and determine its position on all of them. For two of the trips - each in excess of an hour - it failed to find its position for the entire trip, on the other it took about 10 minutes. Following each trip, I made sure that the unit had the latest software, GPS positions and map updates.

During the latest trip, after much fiddling we managed to confuse enough to find its location and track our progress. However, when we were driving along the M6, the GO 500 would frequently lose our position and place us on the other side of the motorway. As we turned off at our junction on the M6, it told me to go back round the roundabout again...

This is clearly a company that doesn't have the correct levels of QA and Software Development. For reference, the software for this device has had multiple updates in the past 12 months. A clear sign that they’re struggling to get it right.

My recommendation would be to hang on to your existing TomTom until they fix the bugs, or - if you really have to change - look at the alternatives because you'll be smashing this one to bits in frustration!

1.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom take away most important features on new models, 17 Aug. 2013
I have always bought Tom Tom never considering any other product from the opposition, I purchased this to replace my ageing XL model, being a long distance truck driver I'm governed to 55 mph which on the XL I can set in my preferences and I know what time I'm going to arrive for any journey, all the new models have had this feature taken away along with many others, sold it straight away on EBay and went back to using my old faithful. All my fellow truckers have the same view, won't be purchasing anything from Tomtom until speed preferences is returned in the menu.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review from a long term TomTom user, 19 Feb. 2014
K. D. Driver (UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this unit for several weeks now and I find that I much prefer my old TomTom Go710 unit to this as it's much less complicated and very easy to use, even if it's screen is only 4". And it still works after many years.

Printing off the manual (no, a hard copy manual doesn't come with the Go 600 unlike the old 710), will take a half inch of A4 printed paper! Yes, I've printed the manual off.

The big screen is great but navigating through the options on the unit takes some getting used to.

It doesn't come with a mains charging lead or a protective case unlike the 710, only a USB lead which in my opinion, is a bit of a bummer for the sake of an extra couple of quid or so which I'd been happy to pay in with the cost of the unit.

Had the protective case and the charging lead not been an extra, I'd been happy to give this product 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, I just wish this had more Go 1000 features, 3 Sept. 2013
Reviewser - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The TomTom Go 500 to me has been something of a confusing device to get to review. I am a huge fan of the TomTom GO LIVE 1000 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries) - I even replaced it with a new one just a month ago after a botched battery replacement by yours truly obliterated the GPS chip - rendering the device pretty much useless.

So in my opinion the Go 500 and as an extension the TomTom GO 400 Europe and TomTom GO 600 Europe are all following in some pretty big footsteps. The Go 1000 is not perfect. Fact of the matter is that it was underpowered so it never rendered map changes very quickly which led to a framerate which would make even the most casual gamer cry. However, as a package the TomTom GO LIVE 1000 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)is still brilliant. Live traffic services, good quality maps and brilliant route planning made it pretty much unbeatable.

Which is why in my mind all the Go 500 needed was a new user-interface - as the one on the Go 100 had become very dated - and a better processor to enable the rendering of maps to be much quicker giving a more acceptable framerate. But that isn't really the way TomTom do things.

The Go 500 is a top to bottom redesign. The only think it shares with the Go 1000 is the fact that it fits in the same cradle (though the Go 1000 does not fit in the Go 500's cradle) and maps. That is literally where the comparisons end.

The Go 500 is a totally new - and as a result gorgeous looking device. Gone is the £50 a year subscription to live - it now connects - FOR FREE - via your phones data connections (although it isn't compatible with as many phones as you might hope). So far so good.

The screen is gorgeous with the resolution and brightness levels just right. The mapping data is still spot on - though it does look very different to the old version of the maps - I'm not sure the colour choices are as good.

The device still has integration with services such as camera updates but there is a nominal fee after the first 3 months.

But perhaps it is what isn't available anymore that makes the Go 500 a far weaker proposition than I could ever have imagined.

Features such as being able to use the TomTom as a hands free kit are very much gone. No more voice calls via your TomTom which is incredibly frustrating. Having to buy a new car kit meant that this will probably just become my backup device and live out its days in my boot.

Another annoyance is the fact you can't get detailed traffic info anymore it just shows you on a slider on the side a colour for how bad the traffic is and how long it will hold you up for.

The thing is, that this isn't the only deal breaker. The user interface is very... VERY basic and no longer allows you to input if there is a roadblock ahead so it can re route you around it. Little settings keep on being missing and don't start me about the fact eco routes are set as default. I don't want to drive through a farm.. I want to get form A-B as quickly as possible!

These small niggles actually add up to a serious pain for anyone that does any real mileage. Personally I was just getting very frustrated with it. I ran it next to the Go 1000 for a week or so and they pretty much always choose the same route. Updating on traffic was a few minutes faster on the Go 500 but it is using the data connection from my 3G phone rather than the 2G connection it has built in.

So what does this all mean? Well if you are never going to delve into settings, customise or want a Bluetooth speakerphone built in, get this. It is slick, fast and well built. If you drive a lot, like customisation, want to actually know what the traffic problem is and don't need super smooth graphics get the TomTom GO LIVE 1000 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries). Yes traffic will cost more but it will work much better in the long run and they cost about £100 refurbished off Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars old stock, 27 Jun. 2014
F. Heath (Nuneaton.England) - See all my reviews
I ordered this tomtom go 600 on the 20th of june 2014, it came within a couple of days, my only disappointment was the fact that on tomtom's website the go 600 has voice control,but the tomtom go 600 that amazon sent me was manufactured in 2013 and has not got this,the picture on amazon is the later 2014 model that has the small square cut out between the screen and grey case on the right hand side where the microphone is housed, I was on the verge of sending this back to amazon for a refund when I decided the only way to be sure of getting this feature would be to buy directly from tomtom for £219.99 , but then I thought about the extra cost and decided i would have to live without voice control , so I have decided to keep it , apart from this I love everything about it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pain getting it connected to a smart phone but good when it is working, 1 Oct. 2013
I needed to get a new phone to get it connected for the traffic then it is hard to get it connected, I needed find a message on my phone then hit 2 buttons very fast that is after I have turned on the bluetooth teathering and data. When I got it working the traffic was good most of the time until I hit a road closed that is not on the roadworks.org website as the avoid and road block buttons are not on this TomTom. My TomTom go 500 stopped working after 5 weeks. Out of stock in Amazon so I got a full refund. I will not be buying another Go 500 or a Go 400 as the mount is crap on the 400. I may get a Go 5000 later if the price goes down. Just turn it on and go no messing around getting connected and using my smart phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 3 April 2014
TomTom once again proved how crappy they are. I purchased the Go 500 with the expectation it would be able to connect with my smart phone for live traffic. What they don't tell you is you will need to have a tethering connection (Wifi Hotspot) which will cost you additional money from your carrier each month. OK!!!, But even though I have an android smart phone the Go 500 could not see my phone and therefore would not connect. Yet all my other devices could see my hotspot just not the TomTom. Hence no live traffic.

So I called customer service (waste of time) for some help. I was told to find an Iphone to see if it would connect. "Hold on" I told the operator. What would you like me to do? Wander around the streets asking people if they have an IPhone for me to test my device on. It clearly states that the TomTom Go 500 connects with Android phones. Not the case as it could not see my phone even though I have the latest Android operating system requirement of 4.2.2

The features (Where are they) are very limited. No customization what so ever. You can't even change the default triangle Icon.
No bluetooth, No route planning and **very** limited software.

When I ran an update from the website it erased all of my voice spoken characters. I had to reset it to get them back and in the process I lost all of my previous saved points and places.
enough was enough.
Will never touch them again.

The T in TomTom stands for TROUBLE...........

Sent it back to Amazon for a well deserved refund.