---- UPDATE - 27/06/14 ----

This update focusses on features that are yet to come to the GO series of sat-navs, as well as a few of my new-found annoyances. Some I've stumbled across, others have been brought to my attention by communication from other customers in the comments section below.

- 'Avoid road block' still isn't a feature. There is a...
Published 16 months ago by DARKcell

2.0 out of 5 stars Existing TomTom users prepare for disappointment
Published 17 months ago by Buzbox

2.0 out of 5 stars Existing TomTom users prepare for disappointment, 3 July 2013
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
If you are someone who already owns a TomTom SatNav, and if you are someone who loves the TomTom user interface design with its many features and customisations, you need to think very carefully before you cough up your cash for the new Go experience. Unfortunately it is all too easy to be swayed by the "free" headlines and the lovely map images appearing in the product marketing photos. Behind this sexy exterior, which does genuinely look nice, lies a complete concept revamp that is a hard pill to swallow to the TomTom converted.

The first major shock to overcome is the realization that this is a very stripped-down device which delivers navigation in one way only - and if you don't like it, that's tough. There is a notable absence of the many customisations that have made TomToms deliver what you want the way you want it, visually and functionally. I would guess that 90% (I joke not) of the menus you'd have found on say a TomTom Go Live 1005, are simply nowhere to be seen on the new Go 500, not even in some other incarnation. Of course that's a double-edge sword because I suspect even the TomTom officiando will admit there were many more menus than they could find the time to use and these could make the device seem a little complicated, but in TomTom's attempt to strip this SatNav down to basics, I think they've gone way too far and now omitted frequent customisations that previously made TomToms stand out above their rivals. I think TomTom are trying to appeal to the less demanding, vanilla ice cream, perhaps even slightly techno-phobic user.

Let's start with the 3D ("road view") map display. An unusual choice of colours you'll probably think. So you'll try to change it to something more familiar. Tough! I'm afraid the default colour scheme is the ONLY colour scheme. And it's a pretty rubbish scheme at that. In 3D view practically every road which is not on your blue selected route is a dark gray colour, be that a motorway, an A, B or C-road (it seems only minor roads have the privilege of being white). So at a glance, especially when you come up to a complex junction, your screen becomes a mess of dark lines making it very hard to identify that A-road that you know must be somewhere off to the right. And as for those fancy pseudo-3D rendered buildings appearing in all of the marketing shots that give you the "Ooooo" feeling when you first set eyes upon them... Well, unless you happen to live in a major city you'll really not see a single 3D building anywhere.

Another simple but subtle change: Speed cameras no longer appear alongside the road where they were so easy to spot. Now they're off to the right of the screen in the traffic info area forcing you to follow the countdown distance to work out where they might be. Doh! Why-o-why make this silly change?

Then there's the automatic route scaling (which I had disabled on my previous device because I found it very annoying) - this is forced ON with no option to change it.

Overall, regarding the 3D display, it's such a shame. You spend 90% of your time in the main 3D display and now it really looks bad - nothing like the shots that grab your attention in the marketing photos and which probably lure the prospective customer to hit "Buy". A deliberate tactic? I don't know but I personally find it at best misleading of TomTom not to include a "normal" view in their marketing photos because that's what you'll see 99% of the time.

Another item I liked was to be asked whether I preferred to take the fastest route, shortest route or to avoid motorways (etc) each time I plotted a route. No, that's tough. You will get the fastest route which you must then change once the route is plotted. Seems clunky.

In an earlier version of this review I had complained at the poor implementation of POIs, as others had also noted. Following some feedback from TomTom I can see that these do exist via a slightly different concept. I don't prefer it but I'll accept that I can't be quite as negative as I was before. Nevertheless, I still had the issue that the way POIs are displayed, especially regarding my local petrol stations and car parks, were misleading.

Unfortunately there are so many examples of change, big and small, that I now barely recognize it as a TomTom at all.

The other potentially very big "gotcha" that is nowhere mentioned in TomTom's marketing blurb is the precise requirements necessary to get your live traffic updates - a brilliant feature of the Live series TomToms and far superior to competitor offerings. With this SatNav these live services are obtained only by connecting to a data service through your mobile phone. But that's OK you think (as I did) because most mobiles these days come with a data contract and most have Bluetooth connectivity. However what they fail to spell out is that your SatNav needs to be "tethered" to your mobile and use it as a hotspot. For me, I have now discovered that my iPhone has had this feature disabled by the provider who is unable to change that arrangement due to some politics between BT and Vodafone. So having bought the SatNav 95% on the availability of free live traffic via my mobile (I was OK with this concept), I am now unable to use it unless I buy a separate mobile phone with a different contract. Of course if your phone does support tethering you are fine, so this need not be a problem for all. But for me, I now have a £200 SatNav that looks very pretty, has up to date maps (that's good), but no traffic. BE CAREFUL.

Despite my disappointment, there are definitely SOME positives of the device. The 2D map and route planning view is extremely nicely rendered. The pinching, scrolling and tapping are intuitive and reliable. And the operation of all the menus is much faster than I've had on any TomTom previously. The routing is quick as well and the overview clear. But these niceties sadly fail to make up for some simple but important shortcomings. After 5 days of frustrated use, I've decided to return mine to TomTom.

Overall, for many reasons I cannot give the new TomTom Go 500 more than a 2 star. But that's me - I am a TomTom lover. Well, I was. I am all for TomTom trying to make things a bit more simple but I am really disappointed with some of the radical decisions TomTom have taken with this stripped-down device which will likely take other TomTom enthusiasts by surprise in the wrong direction. Ironic.

2.0 out of 5 stars If all you want is A to B, it's Ok-ish, 27 April 2014
If you're reading this, you've probably also read many other reviews and have mixed feelings about making this purchase.

If you have a smartphone, my advice is to buy a cheap satnav app for now, then come back here in 6-12 months to see if things have improved.

The Go400 (and 500/600) is OK to get you from A to B, but it fails to make this an easy experience when things go wrong, or when you're not entirely sure of the journey.

First off, the display. The photos on this page are disingenuous - the black bar at the top of the display hides a lot of the road ahead - the very roundabout or junction that you're about to navigate. Sometimes this is hidden with less than 200 metres to go. The 3D display is not really 3D at all - it's a 2D display with a slight angle of distance.

You can't plan alternative routes - the one given is the only one. Much of the display is covered with side panels and frankly irrelevant touch points while driving (why would I want a zoom in/out panel when (a) I can pinch to zoom in/out and (b) I'm driving?)

The info bar on the right-hand side gets cluttered with icons which sit one on top of the other, making it difficult to work out what's actually happening. Fuel stops are shown as well. This would be useful if it had been designed properly (e.g. let me enter my standard "fill up" distance, then have an "I've filled up" button so that fuel stops are shown when I've travelled most of my fill-up distance). However, only the first two fuel points are displayed - pointless.

The touch screen is infuriating. In older models, you simply had to splat your finger anywhere on the display to get to the main options. Now you have to try and hit that tiny three-dot thing in the bottom left-hand corner. This is no fun when you're driving on your own, and I would suggest is almost dangerous. Touching the screen anywhere else brings up a little menu which allows you to remember the location, or drive there. Again, not really useful when driving, but can be handy when you want to set up a route in advance.

The correct approach to the screen would have been to use a short tap anywhere to bring up the main options, and a press-and-hold to bring up the small menu. This would make the device safer to use when driving.

It's slow to respond to screen presses too.

Check that your mobile phone is compatible - it uses Bluetooth tethering rather than the more usual Bluetooth device connection - I had to upgrade my phone to get it to work.

It's difficult to see if you're currently connected - you have to go into the main options to see the little icons in the top right corner. Again, a problem when you're driving.

There's no instant option to say "road ahead blocked". TomTom say that the live traffic info takes care of this. Except if an event has only just happened, live traffic doesn't know! And even then, it only re-routes if it can find an alternative that is marginally quicker. Unfortunately, turning around and retracing steps for a mile or two to take a different route doesn't figure. So the "route blocked" option is the answer, but there isn't one.

The TomTom representative who answers some of these reviews mentions forthcoming updates. You should bear in mind that there have been few updates as yet, mostly tinkering with things that don't actually resolve the fundamental problems with usability. Ok, they've added "My Routes", which is good, but "the ability to delete phones"? Perlease!! Get some perspective!

I seriously wish that TomTom would allow me to use the lifetime maps option with my old 720. But you can't even register two devices with one account on their web site! You have to have two accounts with different emails.

What can I say that's positive? Well, it does get you from A to B, with a single colour scheme. But if you're an existing TomTom user, be prepared for a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Apple sat-nav, the iGO. Toyota won't be happy. Wait, it's made by who?..., 9 Aug 2013
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
---- UPDATE - 27/06/14 ----

- 'Avoid road block' still isn't a feature. There is a work around by zooming out on the map and selecting a waypoint. This hasn't been a major issue for myself, but is for a considerable amount of people, so worth a mention. As of 27/06/14, you can choose an 'alternative route', I'm yet to test this out with regards to trying to avoid closed roads etc, so can't speak to its effectiveness.
- There is a more noticeable lag than when it was new. This can sometimes cause you to press again thinking it hasn't registered your initial press, only for it take your second press and apply it to the next screen, causing you to bounce around menus annoyingly. Doesn't happen a whole lot, but enough to warrant a mention.
- An option of a mute button on the main navigation screen would be great.
- The four dots at the bottom left to get you to the main menu are just too small to use when driving.
- There is still no clock showing the current time. Probably not a huge issue for most, but I regularly use this device in a vehicle where the clock has been removed, so the option would be nice.
- Still no battery/charge indicator on the main navigation screen.

---- SOFTWARE UPDATES - 27/06/14 ----

There have been a number of software updates to the GO series of sat-navs since my purchase. To see the full list of updates, visit the TomTom website here http://bit.ly/VtrbFW. Below (starting with the most recent) is a list of some of the main features that have been added/changed. Any of my own comments regarding the updates, will be marked clearly with '*****' above and below my opinions :

VERSION 13.057:
- New map colours. You can change to new map colours with better contrast.
- Quick menu. Tap the speed panel or the arrow showing your current location to show the quick menu. From here you can; report speed camera, mark location, change speed limit.
- Wider route bar. The wider route bar shows exit information, amenities, additional fuel station information, rest areas, and much more.
- Alternative route planning. After planning your route, select it to get a pop up menu button; open the menu and select Alternative route, then find Alternative route.
- Accent Colours. You can now customise the display of your device with different colour schemes.
- Share changes to the map. It is now possible to share changes to the map with the TomTom Map Share community.

New map colours:
- As far as I can tell, this is linked with the accent colours. I have chosen the brightest green accent colour. This means that my menus have dabs of the bright green here and there. This colour carries though to your route, during navigation, and also your 'current location' arrow. I don't believe you can actually change the background colours of the map however.
Quick menu:
- Really handy to be able to mark your current location, so you can go back to it later and rename it etc.
Wider route bar:
- This is worth a big mention from me, as you can now view both the time remaining AND distance remaining at the same time. It's been a while coming, but it's finally here! Another big addition to the route bar, is the ability to quickly see the status of LIVE services.
Alternative routes:
- I like this a lot. You get to see the good old fashioned three route option, showing you how much longer the extra two routes will take.
Accent colours:
- This customises the menus, current location arrow, and route etc, not the actual map colour.

VERSION 13.051:
- Voice control has now been added

*****
There are two ways of getting the TomTom to start listening to you. 1) Go the main menu and press 'Voice Control'; 2) Say, "Hey, TomTom". Once the sat-nav is listening to you, you can tell it to do practically anything. My issue is with the "Hey, TomTom" feature. With this feature turned on, the sat-nav is constantly listening, waiting for you to say the magic words. Saying "Hey, TomTom", is all well and good, but on a recent 2hr journey, it kept thinking I was saying it, when I was actually just listening to the radio. After half a dozen wrongful activations, I got fed up and switched it off. Not a massive issue for me, as I've never got on with voice control on any device, so it's an added feature that I'm sure many will love, but I'll happily keep off.

VERSION 13.030:
- My Routes - (We have added My Routes to the GO. You can use My Routes to save, retrieve, edit and delete routes, including itineraries with multiple stops).
- Reorder stops (itinerary planning) - (When you have planned a route with multiple stops, you can now adjust the order of the stops).
- Drive to a route - (When you have planned a route from a starting point that is not your current location, you can now drive to the start of that route. SelectDrive via here, to plan a route from your current location to the starting point of the route, and start following the route).
- Navigate to latitude longitude coordinates - (In the search box, you can now enter a specific set of latitude longitude coordinates).
- Warning sounds when speeding - (You can now both see a visual warning and hear a warning sound when speeding).
- 0-5 km/h too fast: the speed panel turns orange. > 5 km/h too fast: the speed panel turns red.
-Now you can also choose to hear a warning sound when speeding: > 5 km/h too fast: you hear three beeps. The warning sound can be turned on and off in the Main Menu.
- Time-dependent speed limits - (We now offer time-dependent speed limits in the following European countries: Germany, Poland, Sweden and the Netherlands (requires map version 9.20 or higher, which will be released in the near future)). If you are driving in these countries, the speed limit in the speed panel changes depending on the time of day.
- Other bug fixes and improvements
- Improved route re-calculation - (We have optimised the re-calculation of routes)

VERSION13.020:

- You can now plan a route in advance by choosing a start point and a destination.
- You can now search using single-street or area postcodes.
- You can now report speed cameras.
- In the 3D guidance view you can now pinch to zoom.
- An icon in the main menu and notifications in the driving view now tell you about the connectivity status of TomTom services.
- On the GO 400, GO 500 and GO 600 you can now delete smartphones from the TomTom Traffic & Speed Cameras menu.
- The route bar now shows speed cameras and the first two fuel stations on your route.
- Speed cameras on your route are now shown in the map view and in the guidance view.
- We have improved road signs and speed limits for Australia and New Zealand.
- You can now download premium voices using MyTomTom.
- The keyboard has been improved for entering passwords and email addresses.
- The search interface has been improved.

---- UPDATES END ----
---- UPDATED (27/06/14) REVIEW BEGINS ----
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

This is an in depth product review (updated here and there after almost 11 months use) for TomTom's premium navigation device, the GO 6000 Europe (but will also largely apply to any of the GO X00 and GO X000 devices - for this reason, I have also placed this review within their respective pages). My aim is to provide an honest viewpoint that will help you make a decision about purchasing, whether you're a complete newcomer to sat-navs, or use them on a daily basis. In certain aspects, I will compare this device to my previous sat-nav, a TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World. In recent reviews of TomTom's latest sat-navs I have seen a worrying trend of consumers buying a product without really realising what that specific model can, and more importantly can't do. I will attempt to enlighten you all.

---- TOMTOM GO X00/X000 PRODUCT RANGE DIFFERENCES ----

Let's get this out the way. The GO 400/500/600 products (only difference being screen size and resolution - 400/500 have a resolution of 480x272 and the 600 a resolution 800x480 [Thanks to 'Bill Roberts' for this correction about resolution]) all connect to LIVE services (i.e. traffic) via a smartphone. This simply means that you need a smartphone (I believe only iPhone or Android) with you at all times if you want to get traffic updates, which you do. To find out if your phone is compatible, http://goo.gl/KQx346. Keep in mind you will be using up data on your phone, so review your contract etc before purchase. The GO 5000/6000 (again only difference between each other is screen size and resolution, the 5000 being 480x272 and the 6000, 800x480) are "always connected". Simply put, they get traffic updates automatically, without having to connect your phone every time.

---- AESTHETICS AND ACCESSORIES ----

It's beautiful. Simple.
I liked the look of my previous sat-nav, but in my opinion this is even more attractive. The corners are more rounded and I prefer the grey plastic on the front as opposed to the black. The 6 inch model is massive, but then it was always going to be. If you're considering the 6 inch model to make text easier to read, don't. The text is the same size as the other models, which to me, makes sense. Bottom line, I love the size and don't regret it. If justification to the wife for forking out extra for a bigger screen is needed, then you can always claim it's safer!
The supplied window mount is just like the one provided with the GO LIVE 1005, only better. I had a few issues with the old one where I'd slot the device into the mount, and just presume it was charging, only for it to die at the most inopportune moment. This time, the charging cable (micro-USB & same length as previous) plugs directly into the back of the mount, never touching the actual sat-nav. The magnet holding the device in place is also stronger than previously, as anything less than a firm pull will simply tilt the mount. To date, this is the best window mount for any sat-nav I have owned/used, it just works.
None of the new GO range come with a case. I have purchased TomTom's own universal case for 6 inch sat-navs for £20 from Amazon. I'm not massively impressed. It's a tight fit, I mean very tight. Once open you can hold it upside down and the sat-nav won't budge. This might be a plus for some, but for me it's already a pain to put in and out, something that will surely push the security-stupid to leave it on show. The case will provide protection from scratches, very minor spills and being bumped around in the glove box. I would NOT want to drop it from normal holding height, even onto carpet. The interior of the case is designed in such a way that forces me to put the sat-nav in backwards, avoiding the risk of the ridiculously placed positioning material scratching the screen (not the touch screen part, but still the glass surrounding it). Clearly designed late on a Friday afternoon! My leather case for my old 5 inch sat-nav was a lot better in my opinion, if they ever sell one for my new 6 incher, I'll definitely get one. TomTom also do a huge case that I've never used/seen that can hold accessories, as well as varying cases for smaller devices.

---- NAVIGATION, TRAFFIC, MAPS AND SPEED CAMERAS ----

After almost 11 months of use, I can confidently say this sat-nav is accurate in terms of arrival times and distances. I doubt the stuff under the hood that calculates these things has changed from my old model, so I'll state what that could do, for reference, if nothing else. The GO LIVE 1005 has been to the minute accurate (on arrival times) for a + 100 mile trip, and within 5-10 minutes for a 400 mile journey. The GO series provides similar levels of accuracy.
The speed at which it finds your route is better than any sat-nav I have used before. I just performed a speed test. From the main map screen through to it having properly started navigating me for a 100 mile journey, took exactly 20 seconds. That included me typing in the address. The destination was new to the sat-nav, and was not stored in my favourites, or as they are now called 'Places'. Re-routing is fast. Not instant, but an average of 2-5 seconds and it realises what's going on. On previous models I have experienced lag round corners and roundabouts where it thinks I'm still an exit behind. Even while driving at speed, the new sat-nav keeps up on the majority of occasions.
When arriving at a destination, it informs you of which side of the road the address is on and where the house number is. It is either exact, very close, or wildly off. When tested against Google Maps on my phone however, I get very similar results, with certain house number/road name combinations confusing it massively. On the whole, it is generally rather close to the house number you have entered.
- TRAFFIC -
TomTom in my opinion and experience provide better traffic updates than any other manufacturer. Now with these new models, you get lifetime (the lifetime of the product) traffic for free. Can't complain. You again have the option of it automatically re-routing you, asking you what to do, or just ploughing on into known traffic.
- MAPS -
You now get lifetime (of the product) free map updates which results in at least four downloads a year.
- SPEED CAMERAS -
With the new GO range, you get three months free speed cameras, at which point you can either try and spot those yellow ******** built deliberately behind trees with your own eyes, or pony up £20/year. Logically, £20 is a lot less than what you would pay having got caught. Fine, points, insurance boost etc. But that's how they get you; there are other options. I use a combination of TomTom speed cameras in my GO sat-nav, alongside my phone running the app 'CamerAlert', with the database from the guys at PGPSW.

---- LAYOUT & FEATURES ----

Let's address the elephant in the room. The new GO series is lacking a decent amount of features compared to the previous GO LIVE 1005. There, I feel better. That said, and I am being completely honest here, I don't care. I simply never used them. I never used bluetooth hands free calling, I never created my own POI's, I never used the 'Help Me' menu, the list goes on. I fully realise that many, many people will have strong opinions about these missing features (and all the others), but at the end of the day, that's why there's more than one company that makes sat-navs.
I simply cannot list all of the features that have been left out, Amazon don't have enough server space. Instead I will talk about a few things that I like and dislike about the layout and features.
---The navigation screen is super clean. No clutter. That's good. To the point where you find yourself looking for things. That's bad. There is no clock or battery meter on the main screen, even when charging (whether in navigation mode or not). For these you must press once and go to the main menu. The only way to figure out if the device is actually charging is by the tiny lightning bolt inside the battery, on the main menu. The vertical cylindrical shaped icon on the navigation screen for the + and - zoom buttons could simply be filled (transparently) up with colour when the battery is full, and have the colour slowly drain down. Simple, effective, no extra clutter, and it would look great. That took me around 20 seconds of staring at the screen to come up with, come on TomTom!
-- With the new (as of 27/06/14) 'dynamic route bar', you can now have both the remaining time and distance, showed at the same time. Finally! This is only available if you actually activate the dynamic route bar, which simply put, makes it wider. It's still transparent, so you're not loosing any of your screen real estate. This wider route bar provides the perfect space (and there is a perfect space), to put a clock showing the current time on the screen, or at least the option to show one. If you choose to have the thinner route bar, then you can't view the remaining time/distance at the same time. You are instead forced to choose between one, or have them change every three seconds. Which is not only my new worst feature on any device, ever, but difficult to understand at a glance. They have improved it by having 'mi' or 'min' now displayed in a contrasting white colour, which makes it easier to read, but still. At a glance it's easy to confuse them, which makes you stare at it for three straight seconds, which could create some issues! My advice is to have it on time remaining only. The distance until the next hazard/traffic/roadworks etc is already on the screen inside the route bar. If you're lucky enough to have a clear run, this will be your total remaining mileage.
--- Typing in addresses is finally enjoyable. The speed at which the letters respond to your touch is akin to an iPhone 5s. Gone are the days when you had to enter the city first. Just type in the road name, and boom, it sorts it out.
-- As far as I can tell you still can't change the actual map colours. However, with the new (as of 27/06/14) 'Accent Colours' setting, you can change the colour of your route, your current position arrow, and a few highlights dotted around all the menus. I like the way the maps look, especially now I can have a bright green line showing my route, it stands out and looks good. Simple.
--- Pinch to zoom is good. Not on the same level as an iPhone 5s, but it's getting there slowly.
--- Your current speed goes orange if slightly over the speed limit, and red if 5mph or more over.
--- Liked customisation ability and multiple menu options on previous TomTom sat-navs? Shop around. There is very little to customise (save for the new 'Accent Colours', but this won't satiate everyone) and the bare minimum of menus/options. On my old GO LIVE 1005, in the settings menu, there were 36 different further icons to click on, on the new GO series, there are around 10. And no, they haven't just condensed them extraordinarily well!

---- CONNECTING DEVICE TO COMPUTER ----

The main issue I had was to discover the computer didn't recognise the sat-nav when it was sat in the window mount, even though it registered as charging. Plug the micro-USB directly into the sat-nav and it connects straight away. I added my new device into my old account with very little trouble at all. The issues of the past are all but gone with the new MyDrive website from TomTom. It looks great, is very clear, and gets the job done.

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

---- CONCLUSION ----

This has been a ridiculously long review, and if you've made it this far I applaud you, as well as apologise. I do hope you've found it helpful.

The TomTom GO series of sat-navs is definitely an acquired taste. In my opinion this is what the first dedicated Apple sat-nav would be like. Attractive, minimalistic, speedy, with very few options. For what I require it to do, it does it, flawlessly. I can't remove stars for features that I wouldn't use, and for that reason, I initially gave it 4 stars, (now upgraded to 4.5 stars as explained below).

In the 11 months I've used this device, the impressively regular software updates has meant that I'm raising this review to 4.5 stars. If they keep up with them, and fix a few of the little niggles I've mentioned then, for me at least, this will be a 5 star navigation device.

Parts of this review will come across as negative, so let me say this - I love my TomTom GO. It's an intuitive, helpful, speedy, intelligent, impressive and downright beautiful navigation device that would look at home on any windscreen. The decision to purchase, as with most things, but even more so with these devices, is a very personal one. Simply put, it will either suit your needs or it won't. In which case I'd suggest you look at older TomTom's or even show your distaste by giving a Garmin a go. Say that quickly over and over again. I dare you.

OVERVIEW
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, needs dependent
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
+ Beautiful screen
+ Premium look and feel
+ Window mount
+ Traffic is best around
+ Route planning accuracy and speed
+ Ease of use
+ Typing speed

CONS (not necessarily for me):
- Decent lack of features compared to previous devices
- Placement of time and battery indicator and other fairly basic stuff

NB:
- Check to see if you can live without the missing features
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

1.0 out of 5 stars Check this one carefully before you part with your cash!, 2 July 2013
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
The new GO series will get you from A to B, but then so will any satnav from £50 upwards. So why do some people spend three to four times as much? (I should add I have owned a Go 730 for some years and am looking for an upgrade.)

Well, any TomTom satnav has several features which for me are critical, and prevent me from looking anywhere else. One is iQroutes and another is the live traffic. I don't want to just get from A to B, I want to get there on time. And choosing the best route is what makes all the difference. iQroutes works on the real speeds that real drivers (i.e. you and me) achieve, not the notional speed limit on the roads (Tomtom have this patented I believe, so you can't get it elsewhere). Add in live traffic, and you can be confident of using the fastest route - and if you still don't get there on time, then you have the comfort of knowing that no faster route was available.

So, back to the GO 500 (or 400 or 600 which only appear to differ on screen size). It does have both iQroutes and live traffic - good. They even get free "lifetime updates" - that's the product's lifetime, not yours!

So, what's not to like? Its the other features included in previous/other models, that are now missing - that's the problem. Here's a list:

1. No facility to add your own "points of interest". So you can't add shops, hotels, pubs, etc. Worse, you can't add traffic cameras - that's only available from Tomtom for about £20p.a. after the first three months.

2. No route planning.

3. Voice commands not available - and I believe will never be because no microphone is fitted.

4. As for 3, the old facility to use the satnav as a handsfree interface to your phone is not available. So to use my phone I have to carry yet more bits and pieces....

5. The facility to add blocked roads, alter routes, etc is missing.

Reading the Tomtom website suggests some of these might get addressed in future software updates. Trouble is that Tomtom have a poor track record of actually keeping such promises......

Things you do get are "3D maps" and a full touch screen, e.g. pinch and zoom. Haven't tried the 3D maps, because there was no data for the town I live in. I am indifferent to the pinch and zoom - I don't care too much about refinements like this, when features such as the above are missing.

So I have been an owner of a Tomtom GO 500 for 1 day, and its now on its way back to Amazon for a refund. Not fit for purpose is my conclusion. Alternatives are the Tomtom Go Live 825/1005, which I am now considering.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 3 Mar 2014
I bought this sat nav to use for work, and it's one of the worst sat navs i have ever used. It's forever freezing up when I put postcode in sometimes it takes me to the postcode other times it will just take me to the road the post code is on. E.g. I put a postcode in that's somewhere on the A90 It will take me to the A90 and tell me I have arrived even thought the destination is 20miles along the road. The input for the address is also shocking if you put a street number in and tom tom does not have the numbers for that street you have to type the full address in to find it. The old
Tom Tom was much easier put in a postcode and a number an it takes you there

2.0 out of 5 stars Still a major feature missing despite numerous requests in TomTom's own forums., 5 July 2014
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
It's been over a year now and even with the very latest major update from TomTom (July 2014) they have still left out two key features that folks have continuously asked for in their forums since the start of this new series. These are custom POIs and 'Avoid roadblock ahead'. The latter is absolutely crucial and was on all the older TomTom's, so none of us can work out why after a year it's still not on this new version.

Why is it so important? Well when an accident has just happened and the services are blocking the road ahead there's a very good chance you will need to find a new route or you'll be stuck exactly where you are until everything is sorted out/cleared. So what do you do? In the past you used the 'Avoid roadblock ahead' feature... which did what you might expect, reroute you around the blockage at the very next turn or exit. Now all you can do is use the 'find alternative route' option (just added in the July 2014 update). You might think this will do the same job, but it won't. On most occasions the alternative routes offered (usually 3) will involve you driving along the next 500m of road (if not further)... and that's right where the road block is. Come on TomTom this is like selling someone a car with no spare tyre.... when you finally need it you're completely up the proverbial creek!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you aren't a tweaker, 11 April 2014
Brian Clegg "Brian Clegg" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
If you are confused by the mix of really good and really bad reviews, it's simple. If you are the kind of person who likes to tweak everything on a device to make it exactly the way you want it, the 500 is very bad, because the tweaking is very limited. If, however, you tend to just take something out of the box and use it (like me), it's great.

The display is very clear, routes are found extremely quickly, the guidance is good and the Bluetooth traffic warnings are great. It looks good and the touchscreen interface is miles ahead of previous TomTom 730.

The only negative for the non-tweaker is the lack of ability to say the road ahead is blocked. To be fair, in my experience with the previous device, half the time you tried this it was useless, but I can't understand why there isn't a provision for it. The traffic warnings will sometimes reroute around a blockage, but they have to know about it. This omission loses it one star, but otherwise I have been delighted with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars First class navigation, 13 July 2014
A wonderful development. I had an older TomTom and this is a revolution. I hesitated when I read some reviews about the limited menus. The menus are simple and time saving. The address search is quick and shows the points of interest at the same time.
The only negative point is calculating distances between cities along the route is hugely underestimated, when you do actual road planning, the result is much higher mileage. Looked like an estimated air dustance!!. You can't you don't need to tweak colours as the display is superb. Traffic news are welcome and they are for life. Speed cameras warning function is useful but free for 3 months as TomTom are always after a regular income from users, so, forget it. Just stick to the speed limit and save the subscription and fuel!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like, 21 Aug 2013
Angela - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Prior to owning this model I was using a TomTom Via 130 4.3" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (45 Countries), and to cut to the chase (and go against the grain of many of the reviews here ) I much prefer the experience of using this device. TomTom have, it's true, pared down the options and the degree to which you can configure the satnav but I find the result to be a device which is much simpler and more intuitive to use; the features they have removed (compared to my older satnav) such as voice recognition and hands free calling were either superfluous to me or frustrating to use.

Out of the box set up for this satnav (I own the 600 which has a 6" screen but which is, I believe, otherwise identical to the 400 and 500 but with a higher resolution screen) is simplicity itself. You must make sure you attach link your computer to the satnav via the supplied USB to the main body of the satnav and not via the input on the cradle, which is for charging only). Once the accompanying software, MyTomTom, is downloaded you are good to go. It's easily switched on via the button at its top - there is no LED to indicate whether it's on or charging however, which is a little bit of a shame, though it does make a distinctive tomtom sound on start up.

The capacitive screen is a pleasure to use - you can swipe and zoom in to the map in 2D with ease and it's a simple matter to hold your finger down on something you can see on the map and get the route calculated, it really is "click and go" as billed. You can also enter postcodes via the search menu, the onscreen keyboard is simple to use and the search function does its business as you type. It's easy to switch from 2D to 3D view and when driving with this the lanes are clear. Many reviews here talk about not being able to change the colour scheme - I've got to be honest and say this really isn't an issue to me and neither do I miss voice recognition which was very hit and miss in my experience. I really like the pared down menu and think the display for driving is actually an improvement, it's clear and not distracting and it took me very little time to get used to it. I like the muted, fairly contemporary colours, and find it overall much less "busy". The info you need is there on the screen in what seems to me a logical place. You can switch off the map to the main menu to see the time and search for nearby parking and petrol stations and there is still the option of finding nearby restaurants and the like via the search should you wish to do so.

I've found the search and satellite pick up on the TomTom both blissfully fast, and it was simplicity itself to tether this to my smartphone to make use of the lifetime traffic updates - admittedly this does rely on the data package of my phone, should this be an issue for you then it's probably best to look at the TomTom GO 6000 Europewhich is "always connected", personally I don't need this feature nor do I particularly need a bluetooth hands free call option (again not available on this satnav).

For me, an occasional user who mainly needs a satnav for the purposes of getting from A to B on family days out and the like and for some business use, this TomTom is an improvement on the one I had before and I really like it. I've found the directions spot on thus far and I like the way the street names are displayed, there are options enough for voice and the integrated back speaker is clear and plenty loud enough too. You do have to take some care mounting and taking off the device from the screen - it's a job best done with both hands, and it would be nice if it came with a case but otherwise I can't fault this TomTom, it does what it is supposed to do, the display is fantastic, the battery life seems to be about 2 hours as billed and it looks and feels good.

I'm personally a fan of the new, simpler TomTom - life for me is too short to be getting to grips with endless menus and features, not the case here and as far as I am concerned a breath of fresh air - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomtom Go 500 EU, 8 July 2014
D. Smith (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
Despite these new Tomtom Go's not getting the best feedback I decided to get one because the things people complain about are not really an issue for me. I previously had a Tomtom XL which I had for 5 years and the maps were really in need of updating so I wanted a sat nav with lifetime map updates and looks and performs more modern and slicker.

The first things you notice are the map is more interactive, the touch screen is much more responsive and it's so much faster and easier to scroll around the map. One thing I found annoying about my old XL was if you zoomed in or out it would reset back to the default position after a few seconds, also if you wanted to look at a different part of the route or map you had to mess about going through a number of pages to find the browse map option. Both these issues have thankfully been resolved, if you zoom in or out the view stays where you leave it and to scroll around the map all you have to do is touch the arrow icon on the screen. Instead of pages of icons there is now a row of 7 icons and a settings icon with sub menus but I can't say I've noticed any options or features missing that I've ever used, to me it just appears to have a more simplified layout so everything you need is easy to access.

It feels very solid and good quality, the mount is a big improvement in every way, the touch screen is very responsive, it's easier to operate and navigate, the graphics are a bit of an improvement but it's how much smoother they are that is really impressive. There is hardly any processing delay when scrolling around the map, calculating routes probably never takes any more than about 10 seconds, the sound is also much better thanks to a better speaker and improved spoken voices with the additional feature of being able to say names (streets, towns, city's etc.). My only criticism is that the map updates are very slow to make it from real world to TomTom's system. There has been a significant road layout change near me on a very busy road and it took around 3 - 4 months until the update was available, even a free sat nav app I have on my phone updated the alteration in a few weeks. On the whole though it is a brilliant sat nav and I'm very glad I bought it.

TomTom GO 500 Europe