✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
---- UPDATED (24/12/14) REVIEW BEGINS ----...
Published 16 months ago by DARKcell

2.0 out of 5 stars Existing TomTom users prepare for disappointment
Published 17 months ago by Buzbox

2.0 out of 5 stars Existing TomTom users prepare for disappointment, 3 July 2013
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
If you are someone who already owns a TomTom SatNav, and if you are someone who loves the TomTom user interface design with its many features and customisations, you need to think very carefully before you cough up your cash for the new Go experience. Unfortunately it is all too easy to be swayed by the "free" headlines and the lovely map images appearing in the product marketing photos. Behind this sexy exterior, which does genuinely look nice, lies a complete concept revamp that is a hard pill to swallow to the TomTom converted.

The first major shock to overcome is the realization that this is a very stripped-down device which delivers navigation in one way only - and if you don't like it, that's tough. There is a notable absence of the many customisations that have made TomToms deliver what you want the way you want it, visually and functionally. I would guess that 90% (I joke not) of the menus you'd have found on say a TomTom Go Live 1005, are simply nowhere to be seen on the new Go 500, not even in some other incarnation. Of course that's a double-edge sword because I suspect even the TomTom officiando will admit there were many more menus than they could find the time to use and these could make the device seem a little complicated, but in TomTom's attempt to strip this SatNav down to basics, I think they've gone way too far and now omitted frequent customisations that previously made TomToms stand out above their rivals. I think TomTom are trying to appeal to the less demanding, vanilla ice cream, perhaps even slightly techno-phobic user.

Let's start with the 3D ("road view") map display. An unusual choice of colours you'll probably think. So you'll try to change it to something more familiar. Tough! I'm afraid the default colour scheme is the ONLY colour scheme. And it's a pretty rubbish scheme at that. In 3D view practically every road which is not on your blue selected route is a dark gray colour, be that a motorway, an A, B or C-road (it seems only minor roads have the privilege of being white). So at a glance, especially when you come up to a complex junction, your screen becomes a mess of dark lines making it very hard to identify that A-road that you know must be somewhere off to the right. And as for those fancy pseudo-3D rendered buildings appearing in all of the marketing shots that give you the "Ooooo" feeling when you first set eyes upon them... Well, unless you happen to live in a major city you'll really not see a single 3D building anywhere.

Another simple but subtle change: Speed cameras no longer appear alongside the road where they were so easy to spot. Now they're off to the right of the screen in the traffic info area forcing you to follow the countdown distance to work out where they might be. Doh! Why-o-why make this silly change?

Then there's the automatic route scaling (which I had disabled on my previous device because I found it very annoying) - this is forced ON with no option to change it.

Overall, regarding the 3D display, it's such a shame. You spend 90% of your time in the main 3D display and now it really looks bad - nothing like the shots that grab your attention in the marketing photos and which probably lure the prospective customer to hit "Buy". A deliberate tactic? I don't know but I personally find it at best misleading of TomTom not to include a "normal" view in their marketing photos because that's what you'll see 99% of the time.

Another item I liked was to be asked whether I preferred to take the fastest route, shortest route or to avoid motorways (etc) each time I plotted a route. No, that's tough. You will get the fastest route which you must then change once the route is plotted. Seems clunky.

In an earlier version of this review I had complained at the poor implementation of POIs, as others had also noted. Following some feedback from TomTom I can see that these do exist via a slightly different concept. I don't prefer it but I'll accept that I can't be quite as negative as I was before. Nevertheless, I still had the issue that the way POIs are displayed, especially regarding my local petrol stations and car parks, were misleading.

Unfortunately there are so many examples of change, big and small, that I now barely recognize it as a TomTom at all.

The other potentially very big "gotcha" that is nowhere mentioned in TomTom's marketing blurb is the precise requirements necessary to get your live traffic updates - a brilliant feature of the Live series TomToms and far superior to competitor offerings. With this SatNav these live services are obtained only by connecting to a data service through your mobile phone. But that's OK you think (as I did) because most mobiles these days come with a data contract and most have Bluetooth connectivity. However what they fail to spell out is that your SatNav needs to be "tethered" to your mobile and use it as a hotspot. For me, I have now discovered that my iPhone has had this feature disabled by the provider who is unable to change that arrangement due to some politics between BT and Vodafone. So having bought the SatNav 95% on the availability of free live traffic via my mobile (I was OK with this concept), I am now unable to use it unless I buy a separate mobile phone with a different contract. Of course if your phone does support tethering you are fine, so this need not be a problem for all. But for me, I now have a £200 SatNav that looks very pretty, has up to date maps (that's good), but no traffic. BE CAREFUL.

Despite my disappointment, there are definitely SOME positives of the device. The 2D map and route planning view is extremely nicely rendered. The pinching, scrolling and tapping are intuitive and reliable. And the operation of all the menus is much faster than I've had on any TomTom previously. The routing is quick as well and the overview clear. But these niceties sadly fail to make up for some simple but important shortcomings. After 5 days of frustrated use, I've decided to return mine to TomTom.

Overall, for many reasons I cannot give the new TomTom Go 500 more than a 2 star. But that's me - I am a TomTom lover. Well, I was. I am all for TomTom trying to make things a bit more simple but I am really disappointed with some of the radical decisions TomTom have taken with this stripped-down device which will likely take other TomTom enthusiasts by surprise in the wrong direction. Ironic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Apple sat-nav, the iGO. Toyota won't be happy. Wait, it's made by who?..., 9 Aug 2013
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
---- UPDATED (24/12/14) REVIEW BEGINS ----
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

*** I try to update this review regularly, but to see the full list of software updates, visit the TomTom website here http://bit.ly/VtrbFW. ***

This is an in depth product review (updated after almost 18 months use) for TomTom's premium navigation device, the GO 6000 (but will also largely apply to any of the GO X0, GO X00 and GO X000 devices - for this reason, I have also placed this review within their respective pages). My aim is to provide an honest viewpoint that will help you make a decision about purchasing, whether you're a complete newcomer to sat-navs, or use them on a daily basis. In certain aspects, I will compare this device to my previous sat-nav, a TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World. In recent reviews of TomTom's latest sat-navs I have seen a worrying trend of consumers buying a product without really realising what that specific model can, and more importantly can't do. I will attempt to enlighten you all.

---- TOMTOM GO X0/X00/X000 PRODUCT RANGE DIFFERENCES ----

Let's get this out the way.
There are essentially three separate ranges of the TomTom GO series, the X0, X000 and X000. All of these sat-navs have screen sizes designated by their first number (e.g. GO 50 and GO 5000 have a 5" screen, GO 600 and GO 6000 have a 6" screen). If you're comparing sat-navs with the same number of '0's after the screen size number, then as far as I'm aware, the only differences are going to be screen size and screen resolution (resolution improving as you go up screen sizes). All of the GO sat-navs have the same software within them, and all come with lifetime TomTom map updates (that's not your lifetime!).

GO 40, 50 and 60 :
This is the newest range (and cheapest) of the series. They are entry level sat-navs. The major (with a capital 'M') feature that differentiates these devices from the other GO sat-navs, is that they have a resistive screen. The GO X00 and GO X000 sat-navs all have capacitive screens. A resistive screen registers pressure on the screen, so it's older technology, therefore costing less. Capacitive screens are what you'll find on all modern smartphones; smooth glass that require no actual pressure on the screen to register input. Capacitive is more modern, and better in my opinion, therefore costing more. Connection to Live services (i.e. traffic) is done via a smartphone (explained further just below).

GO 500 and 600 (There used to be a GO 400, but that has been discontinued by TomTom) :
These mid-range GO sat-navs use capacitive screens, so in my opinion are better than the above range. This range (X00) compares directly to the X000 below, but differs in one major way - connectivity. The X00 range connects to TomTom Live services (i.e. traffic) via a smartphone. This simply means that you need a smartphone (I believe only iPhone or Android) with you at all times if you want to get traffic updates, which you do. To find out if your phone is compatible: http://goo.gl/KQx346. Keep in mind you will be using up data on your phone, so review your contract etc before purchase.

GO 5000 and 6000 :
These are the premium sat-navs from TomTom. They have a capacitive screen, and are 'always connected'. Simply put, they get traffic updates automatically, as they have a sim-card inside. There is no need to connect your phone to it ever, or even have your phone with you.

---- AESTHETICS AND ACCESSORIES ----

It's beautiful. Simple.
I liked the look of my previous sat-nav, but in my opinion this is even more attractive. The corners are more rounded and I prefer the grey plastic on the front as opposed to the black. The 6 inch model is massive, but then it was always going to be. With a recent software update, you can now change the size of text and buttons; small, medium or large. I prefer the small, but I imagine people with eyesight issues will be glad of this enlarging ability.
Bottom line, I love the size of the 6" sat-nav and don't regret it. If justification to the wife for forking out extra for a bigger screen is needed, then you can always claim it's safer!

The supplied window mount is just like the one provided with my old GO LIVE 1005, only better. I had a few issues with the old one where I'd slot the device into the mount, and just presume it was charging, only for it to die at the most inopportune moment. This time, the charging cable (micro-USB & same length as previous) plugs directly into the back of the mount, never touching the actual sat-nav. The magnet holding the device in place is also stronger than previously, as anything less than a firm pull will simply tilt the mount. To date, this is the best window mount for any sat-nav I have owned/used, it just works.

18 months ago, none of the GO series came with a case. I purchased TomTom's own universal case for 6 inch sat-navs for £20 from Amazon (I believe the one currently being offered with the GO 50 'Winter Edition'). I wasn't massively impressed. In the first six months, it was a tight fit; I mean very tight. Once opened you could hold it upside down and the sat-nav wouldn't budge. This might be a plus for some, but for me it became a pain to put in and out, something that would surely push the security-stupid to leave it on show. The case provides protection from scratches, very minor spills and being bumped around in the glove box. I would NOT want to drop it from normal holding height, even onto carpet. The interior of the case is designed in such a way that forces me to put the sat-nav in backwards, avoiding the risk of the ridiculously placed positioning material scratching the screen (not the touch screen part, but still the glass surrounding it). Clearly designed late on a Friday afternoon! My leather case for my old 5 inch sat-nav was a lot better in my opinion, if they ever sell one for my GO 6000, I'll definitely get one. TomTom also do a huge case that I've never used/seen that can hold accessories, as well as varying cases for smaller devices.
All of this said, after around six months of use, the case has loosened somewhat, and has become slightly easier to live with. I'd still prefer my old case back however!

---- NAVIGATION, TRAFFIC, MAPS AND SPEED CAMERAS ----

After almost 18 months of use, I can confidently say this sat-nav is accurate in terms of arrival times and distances. I doubt the stuff under the hood that calculates these things has changed from my old model, so I'll state what that could do, for reference, if nothing else. The GO LIVE 1005 has been to the minute accurate (on arrival times) for a + 100 mile trip, and within 5-10 minutes for a 400 mile journey. I can confirm that in my experiences, the GO series provides similar levels of accuracy.

The speed at which it finds your route is better than any sat-nav I have used before. I just performed a speed test. From the main map screen through to it having properly started navigating me for a 100 mile journey, took exactly 20 seconds. That included me typing in the address. The destination was new to the sat-nav, and was not stored in my favourites, or as they are now called 'Places'. Re-routing is fast. Not instant, but an average of 2-5 seconds and it realises what's going on. On previous models I have experienced lag round corners and roundabouts where it thinks I'm still an exit behind. Even while driving at speed, the GO series of sat-navs keeps up on the majority of occasions.

- THINGS YOU CAN DO TO YOUR CURRENT ROUTE -
- Clear route
- Find alternative
- Avoid blocked road (yes sports fans, it's finally here - not that I've ever needed it!)
- Avoid toll roads and more
- Add stop to route
- Add to my routes (save the route to your favourites effectively)
- Change route type (fastest, shortest, eco, avoid motorways, walking, cycling)
- Reorder stops
- Drive to route
- Play route preview (watch a sped-up version of your upcoming route)

When arriving at a destination, it informs you of which side of the road the address is on and where the house number is. It is either exact, very close, or wildly off. When tested against Google Maps on my phone however, I get very similar results, with certain house number/road name combinations confusing it massively. On the whole, it is generally rather close to the house number you have entered.

- TRAFFIC -
TomTom in my opinion and experience provide better traffic updates than any other manufacturer. As mentioned previously, with all of the GO sat-navs, you get lifetime (the lifetime of the product) traffic for free. Can't complain. You again have the option of it automatically re-routing you, asking you what to do, or just ploughing on into known traffic.

- MAPS -
You now get lifetime (of the product) free map updates which results in at least four downloads a year.

- SPEED CAMERAS -
You get three months free speed cameras, at which point you can either try and spot those yellow ******** built deliberately behind trees with your own eyes, or pony up £20/year. Logically, £20 is a lot less than what you would pay having got caught. Fine, points, insurance boost etc. But that's how they get you; there are other options. I use a combination of TomTom speed cameras in my GO sat-nav, alongside my phone running the app 'CamerAlert', with the database from the guys at PGPSW; which from memory is a similar price.

---- LAYOUT & FEATURES ----

At launch, the GO series was lacking a huge amount of features compared to its rivals; it was the very large, very pink, elephant in the room. I never really cared though, as they were features I never used. I never used bluetooth hands free calling, I never created my own POI's, I never used the 'Help Me' menu, the list goes on. I fully realise that many, many people will have strong opinions about certain missing features, but at the end of the day, that's why there's more than one company that makes sat-navs. TomTom has decided that this is the direction they wish to take their company, so either hop-on-board, or jump-ship.

Below is a non-exhaustive list in no particular order (broken into twos for ease of reading), of things I like, things I don't like, and things I think you may find helpful, regarding the layout and features:

-- The navigation screen is super clean. No clutter. That's good. To the point where you find yourself looking for things. That's not so good. Only recently has the clock found its way to the navigation screen, and this is ONLY when you actually have a route input. If you're just driving around without a route, then no time is visible. This probably isn't a huge issue for most, but I regularly use this device in a vehicle where the clock has been removed, so the option of having a clock on at all times would be nice.
-- There is also no battery meter on the main screen, irrelevant of whether or not a route has been plotted or if the device is charging. It's simply not there. You must press the four little dots at the bottom left to go to the main menu to see your battery. If you are charging the device, then you can't actually see how much of a charge is actually remaining, without unplugging the sat-nav. Over a year ago I suggested that the vertical cylindrical shaped icon on the navigation screen for the + and - zoom buttons could simply be filled (transparently) up with colour when the battery is full, and have the colour slowly drain down when the battery does. Simple, effective, no extra clutter, and it would look great. Recently a TomTom employee commented and said it was a good idea, so let's hope we see that, or something similar in the coming months.

-- Another battery related issue is that no matter how good the wired connection is, at times (through either a slightly faulty wire or a nudge with my knee), the device stops charging. If you're staring intently at the screen, then this is shown with the screen getting slightly darker. If you're not looking at the screen (which chances are, you won't be!), then it's basically impossible to tell. Meaning the sat-nav can die part way through a long journey as it hasn't been charging for hours. I'd like a visual and/or auditory (user selected) warning, letting me know that the device has been unplugged. Something that means that either immediately as it's unplugged, or when I glance at it 5 mins later, it's clear that it's not charging!
-- With the new (as of 27/06/14) 'dynamic route bar', you can now have both the remaining time and distance, showed at the same time. Finally! This is only available if you actually activate the dynamic route bar from within the settings, which simply put, makes it wider. It's still transparent, so you're not really losing any of your screen real estate. If you choose to have the thinner route bar, then you can't view the remaining time/distance at the same time. You are instead forced to choose between one, or have them change every three seconds. Which is not only a personal hate of mine, but also difficult to understand at a glance. They have improved it by having 'mi' or 'min' now displayed in a contrasting white colour, which makes it easier to read, but still. At a glance it's easy to confuse them, which makes you stare at it for three straight seconds, which could create some issues! My advice (if you're just using the thinner, non-dynamic route bar) is to have it on time remaining only. The distance until the next hazard/traffic/roadworks etc is already on the screen inside the route bar. If you're lucky enough to have a clear run, this will be your total remaining mileage.

-- Typing in addresses is finally enjoyable. The speed at which the letters respond to your touch is just (fractionally) shy of the iPhone 6 Plus (my only real benchmark), which is far better than any sat-nav I've owned in the past. Gone are the days when you had to enter the city first. Just type in the road name, and boom, it sorts it out.
-- As far as I can tell you still can't change the actual map colours. However, with the new (as of 27/06/14) 'Accent Colours' setting, you can change the colour of your route, your current position arrow, and a few highlights dotted around all the menus. I like the way the maps look, especially now I can have a bright green line showing my route, it stands out and looks good. Simple.

-- Pinch to zoom is good. Not on the same level as the iPhone 6 Plus, but it's getting there; slowly.
-- Your current speed goes orange if slightly over the speed limit, and red if 5mph or more over. You can also decide if you want the sat-nav start making aggresive noises if you're driving too fast!

-- Liked customisation ability and multiple menu options on previous TomTom sat-navs? Shop around. There is very little to customise (save for the new 'Accent Colours', but this won't satiate everyone) and the bare minimum of menus/options. On my old GO LIVE 1005, in the settings menu, there were 36 different further icons to click on, on the new GO series, there are around eight. And no, they haven't just condensed them extraordinarily well!
-- The navigation screen goes from day to night mode automatically at a certain time of day (I think relating to the sunset time, but I could be mistaken). This is a feature I really enjoy.

-- There is only one voice that comes standard, that is capable of reading aloud street names. There are many other voices however.
-- A fairly recent addition is the voice control. There are two ways of getting the TomTom to start listening to you; 1) Go the main menu and press 'Voice Control'; 2) Say, "Hey, TomTom". Once the sat-nav is listening to you, you can tell it to do practically anything. My issue is with the "Hey, TomTom" feature. With this feature turned on, the sat-nav is constantly listening, waiting for you to say the magic words. Saying "Hey, TomTom", is all well and good, but on a recent 2hr journey, it kept thinking I was saying it, when I was actually just listening to the radio. After half a dozen wrongful activations, I got fed up and switched it off. Not a massive issue for me, as I've never got on with voice control on any device; so it's an added feature that I'm sure many will love, but I'll happily keep off.

-- Another fairly recent addition is the sat-nav can read aloud warnings. So instead of just beeping, it will beep and shout at you to warn you of an approaching speed camera for example.
-- You can turn screen touch sounds on or off - I actually rather like them on.

-- From the main navigation screen, you can FINALLY, at-a-glance see if Live services have dropped out. A much needed feature, as annoyingly, it drops out more than I'd like - resetting the sat-nav quite often solves this, but again annoyingly, not always.
-- Tapping on your current-location arrow, brings up a quick menu allowing you to; report speed camera, mark location, change speed limit or avoid blocked road.

-- In 2D mode, tapping the highlighted route brings up another route-specific quick menu, allowing you to; clear route, find alternative route, change route type, add stop to route, manage route. Recently I had around a dozen different addresses to attend all within the same medium-sized city. I plugged them all in, by tapping on the current highlighted route, and clicking 'add stop to route'. These were in the wrong order, so after inputting them all, I selected 'reorder stops'. This brings up a very clear 2D map showing where you are, and every stop that you have inputted. You simply tap them in the order you wish to visit, ending up with your finish location. It's super quick, and super easy. I was seriously impressed.
-- Alternative routes. I like this a lot. You get to see the good old fashioned three route option, showing you how much longer the extra two routes will take.

---- CONNECTING DEVICE TO COMPUTER ----

The main issue I had was to discover the computer didn't recognise the sat-nav when it was sat in the window-mount, even though it registered as charging. Plug the micro-USB directly into the sat-nav and it connects to the computer straight away. I added my new device into my old TomTom account with very little trouble at all. The issues of the past are all but gone with the current MyDrive website from TomTom. It looks great, is very clear, and gets the job done smoothly.

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

---- CONCLUSION ----

This has been a ridiculously long review, and if you've made it this far I applaud you, as well as apologise. I do hope you've found it helpful!

The TomTom GO series of sat-navs is definitely an acquired taste. In my opinion this is what the first dedicated Apple sat-nav would be like. Attractive, minimalistic, speedy, with very few options for customisation. For what I require it to do, it does it, practically flawlessly. I can't remove stars for features that I wouldn't use, and for that reason, I initially gave it 4 stars, (now upgraded to 4.5 stars as explained below).

In the 18 months I've used this device, the impressively regular software updates has meant that I'm raising this review to 4.5 stars. If they keep up with them, and fix a few of the little niggles I've mentioned then, for me at least, this will be a 5 star navigation device.

Parts of this review may come across as a little negative, so let me say this - I love my TomTom GO. It's an intuitive, helpful, speedy, intelligent, impressive and downright beautiful navigation device that would look at home on any windscreen. The decision to purchase, as with most things, but even more so with these devices, is a very personal one. Simply put, it will either suit your needs or it won't. In which case I'd suggest you look at older TomToms or even show your distaste by giving a Garmin a go. Say that quickly over and over again. I dare you.

OVERVIEW
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, needs dependent
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
✓ Beautiful screen
✓ Premium look and feel
✓ Window mount
✓ Traffic is best around
✓ Route planning accuracy and speed
✓ Ease of use
✓ Typing speed
✓ Handy features that are easy to use
✓ Regular software updates

CONS (not necessarily for me):
✗ Lack of features compared to previous devices
✗ Placement of time and battery indicator and other fairly basic stuff

NB:
- Check to see if you can live without the missing features
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...

2.0 out of 5 stars If all you want is A to B, it's Ok-ish, 27 April 2014
If you're reading this, you've probably also read many other reviews and have mixed feelings about making this purchase.

If you have a smartphone, my advice is to buy a cheap satnav app for now, then come back here in 6-12 months to see if things have improved.

The Go400 (and 500/600) is OK to get you from A to B, but it fails to make this an easy experience when things go wrong, or when you're not entirely sure of the journey.

First off, the display. The photos on this page are disingenuous - the black bar at the top of the display hides a lot of the road ahead - the very roundabout or junction that you're about to navigate. Sometimes this is hidden with less than 200 metres to go. The 3D display is not really 3D at all - it's a 2D display with a slight angle of distance.

You can't plan alternative routes - the one given is the only one. Much of the display is covered with side panels and frankly irrelevant touch points while driving (why would I want a zoom in/out panel when (a) I can pinch to zoom in/out and (b) I'm driving?)

The info bar on the right-hand side gets cluttered with icons which sit one on top of the other, making it difficult to work out what's actually happening. Fuel stops are shown as well. This would be useful if it had been designed properly (e.g. let me enter my standard "fill up" distance, then have an "I've filled up" button so that fuel stops are shown when I've travelled most of my fill-up distance). However, only the first two fuel points are displayed - pointless.

The touch screen is infuriating. In older models, you simply had to splat your finger anywhere on the display to get to the main options. Now you have to try and hit that tiny three-dot thing in the bottom left-hand corner. This is no fun when you're driving on your own, and I would suggest is almost dangerous. Touching the screen anywhere else brings up a little menu which allows you to remember the location, or drive there. Again, not really useful when driving, but can be handy when you want to set up a route in advance.

The correct approach to the screen would have been to use a short tap anywhere to bring up the main options, and a press-and-hold to bring up the small menu. This would make the device safer to use when driving.

It's slow to respond to screen presses too.

Check that your mobile phone is compatible - it uses Bluetooth tethering rather than the more usual Bluetooth device connection - I had to upgrade my phone to get it to work.

It's difficult to see if you're currently connected - you have to go into the main options to see the little icons in the top right corner. Again, a problem when you're driving.

There's no instant option to say "road ahead blocked". TomTom say that the live traffic info takes care of this. Except if an event has only just happened, live traffic doesn't know! And even then, it only re-routes if it can find an alternative that is marginally quicker. Unfortunately, turning around and retracing steps for a mile or two to take a different route doesn't figure. So the "route blocked" option is the answer, but there isn't one.

The TomTom representative who answers some of these reviews mentions forthcoming updates. You should bear in mind that there have been few updates as yet, mostly tinkering with things that don't actually resolve the fundamental problems with usability. Ok, they've added "My Routes", which is good, but "the ability to delete phones"? Perlease!! Get some perspective!

I seriously wish that TomTom would allow me to use the lifetime maps option with my old 720. But you can't even register two devices with one account on their web site! You have to have two accounts with different emails.

What can I say that's positive? Well, it does get you from A to B, with a single colour scheme. But if you're an existing TomTom user, be prepared for a disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Check this one carefully before you part with your cash!, 2 July 2013
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
The new GO series will get you from A to B, but then so will any satnav from £50 upwards. So why do some people spend three to four times as much? (I should add I have owned a Go 730 for some years and am looking for an upgrade.)

Well, any TomTom satnav has several features which for me are critical, and prevent me from looking anywhere else. One is iQroutes and another is the live traffic. I don't want to just get from A to B, I want to get there on time. And choosing the best route is what makes all the difference. iQroutes works on the real speeds that real drivers (i.e. you and me) achieve, not the notional speed limit on the roads (Tomtom have this patented I believe, so you can't get it elsewhere). Add in live traffic, and you can be confident of using the fastest route - and if you still don't get there on time, then you have the comfort of knowing that no faster route was available.

So, back to the GO 500 (or 400 or 600 which only appear to differ on screen size). It does have both iQroutes and live traffic - good. They even get free "lifetime updates" - that's the product's lifetime, not yours!

So, what's not to like? Its the other features included in previous/other models, that are now missing - that's the problem. Here's a list:

1. No facility to add your own "points of interest". So you can't add shops, hotels, pubs, etc. Worse, you can't add traffic cameras - that's only available from Tomtom for about £20p.a. after the first three months.

2. No route planning.

3. Voice commands not available - and I believe will never be because no microphone is fitted.

4. As for 3, the old facility to use the satnav as a handsfree interface to your phone is not available. So to use my phone I have to carry yet more bits and pieces....

5. The facility to add blocked roads, alter routes, etc is missing.

Reading the Tomtom website suggests some of these might get addressed in future software updates. Trouble is that Tomtom have a poor track record of actually keeping such promises......

Things you do get are "3D maps" and a full touch screen, e.g. pinch and zoom. Haven't tried the 3D maps, because there was no data for the town I live in. I am indifferent to the pinch and zoom - I don't care too much about refinements like this, when features such as the above are missing.

So I have been an owner of a Tomtom GO 500 for 1 day, and its now on its way back to Amazon for a refund. Not fit for purpose is my conclusion. Alternatives are the Tomtom Go Live 825/1005, which I am now considering.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 3 Mar 2014
I bought this sat nav to use for work, and it's one of the worst sat navs i have ever used. It's forever freezing up when I put postcode in sometimes it takes me to the postcode other times it will just take me to the road the post code is on. E.g. I put a postcode in that's somewhere on the A90 It will take me to the A90 and tell me I have arrived even thought the destination is 20miles along the road. The input for the address is also shocking if you put a street number in and tom tom does not have the numbers for that street you have to type the full address in to find it. The old
Tom Tom was much easier put in a postcode and a number an it takes you there

2.0 out of 5 stars Still a major feature missing despite numerous requests in TomTom's own forums., 5 July 2014
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
It's been over a year now and even with the very latest major update from TomTom (July 2014) they have still left out two key features that folks have continuously asked for in their forums since the start of this new series. These are custom POIs and 'Avoid roadblock ahead'. The latter is absolutely crucial and was on all the older TomTom's, so none of us can work out why after a year it's still not on this new version.

Why is it so important? Well when an accident has just happened and the services are blocking the road ahead there's a very good chance you will need to find a new route or you'll be stuck exactly where you are until everything is sorted out/cleared. So what do you do? In the past you used the 'Avoid roadblock ahead' feature... which did what you might expect, reroute you around the blockage at the very next turn or exit. Now all you can do is use the 'find alternative route' option (just added in the July 2014 update). You might think this will do the same job, but it won't. On most occasions the alternative routes offered (usually 3) will involve you driving along the next 500m of road (if not further)... and that's right where the road block is. Come on TomTom this is like selling someone a car with no spare tyre.... when you finally need it you're completely up the proverbial creek!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you aren't a tweaker, 11 April 2014
Brian Clegg "Brian Clegg" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
If you are confused by the mix of really good and really bad reviews, it's simple. If you are the kind of person who likes to tweak everything on a device to make it exactly the way you want it, the 500 is very bad, because the tweaking is very limited. If, however, you tend to just take something out of the box and use it (like me), it's great.

The display is very clear, routes are found extremely quickly, the guidance is good and the Bluetooth traffic warnings are great. It looks good and the touchscreen interface is miles ahead of previous TomTom 730.

The only negative for the non-tweaker is the lack of ability to say the road ahead is blocked. To be fair, in my experience with the previous device, half the time you tried this it was useless, but I can't understand why there isn't a provision for it. The traffic warnings will sometimes reroute around a blockage, but they have to know about it. This omission loses it one star, but otherwise I have been delighted with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars First class navigation, 13 July 2014
This review is from: TomTom GO 600 - GPS receiver - automotive - display: 6" - widescreen(1FA6.002.04) (Electronics)
A wonderful development. I had an older TomTom and this is a revolution. I hesitated when I read some reviews about the limited menus. The menus are simple and time saving. The address search is quick and shows the points of interest at the same time.
The only negative point is calculating distances between cities along the route is hugely underestimated, when you do actual road planning, the result is much higher mileage. Looked like an estimated air dustance!!. You can't you don't need to tweak colours as the display is superb. Traffic news are welcome and they are for life. Speed cameras warning function is useful but free for 3 months as TomTom are always after a regular income from users, so, forget it. Just stick to the speed limit and save the subscription and fuel!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like, 21 Aug 2013
Angela - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Prior to owning this model I was using a TomTom Via 130 4.3" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (45 Countries), and to cut to the chase (and go against the grain of many of the reviews here ) I much prefer the experience of using this device. TomTom have, it's true, pared down the options and the degree to which you can configure the satnav but I find the result to be a device which is much simpler and more intuitive to use; the features they have removed (compared to my older satnav) such as voice recognition and hands free calling were either superfluous to me or frustrating to use.

Out of the box set up for this satnav (I own the 600 which has a 6" screen but which is, I believe, otherwise identical to the 400 and 500 but with a higher resolution screen) is simplicity itself. You must make sure you attach link your computer to the satnav via the supplied USB to the main body of the satnav and not via the input on the cradle, which is for charging only). Once the accompanying software, MyTomTom, is downloaded you are good to go. It's easily switched on via the button at its top - there is no LED to indicate whether it's on or charging however, which is a little bit of a shame, though it does make a distinctive tomtom sound on start up.

The capacitive screen is a pleasure to use - you can swipe and zoom in to the map in 2D with ease and it's a simple matter to hold your finger down on something you can see on the map and get the route calculated, it really is "click and go" as billed. You can also enter postcodes via the search menu, the onscreen keyboard is simple to use and the search function does its business as you type. It's easy to switch from 2D to 3D view and when driving with this the lanes are clear. Many reviews here talk about not being able to change the colour scheme - I've got to be honest and say this really isn't an issue to me and neither do I miss voice recognition which was very hit and miss in my experience. I really like the pared down menu and think the display for driving is actually an improvement, it's clear and not distracting and it took me very little time to get used to it. I like the muted, fairly contemporary colours, and find it overall much less "busy". The info you need is there on the screen in what seems to me a logical place. You can switch off the map to the main menu to see the time and search for nearby parking and petrol stations and there is still the option of finding nearby restaurants and the like via the search should you wish to do so.

I've found the search and satellite pick up on the TomTom both blissfully fast, and it was simplicity itself to tether this to my smartphone to make use of the lifetime traffic updates - admittedly this does rely on the data package of my phone, should this be an issue for you then it's probably best to look at the TomTom GO 6000 Europewhich is "always connected", personally I don't need this feature nor do I particularly need a bluetooth hands free call option (again not available on this satnav).

For me, an occasional user who mainly needs a satnav for the purposes of getting from A to B on family days out and the like and for some business use, this TomTom is an improvement on the one I had before and I really like it. I've found the directions spot on thus far and I like the way the street names are displayed, there are options enough for voice and the integrated back speaker is clear and plenty loud enough too. You do have to take some care mounting and taking off the device from the screen - it's a job best done with both hands, and it would be nice if it came with a case but otherwise I can't fault this TomTom, it does what it is supposed to do, the display is fantastic, the battery life seems to be about 2 hours as billed and it looks and feels good.

I'm personally a fan of the new, simpler TomTom - life for me is too short to be getting to grips with endless menus and features, not the case here and as far as I am concerned a breath of fresh air - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomtom Go 500 EU, 8 July 2014
D. Smith (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
Despite these new Tomtom Go's not getting the best feedback I decided to get one because the things people complain about are not really an issue for me. I previously had a Tomtom XL which I had for 5 years and the maps were really in need of updating so I wanted a sat nav with lifetime map updates and looks and performs more modern and slicker.

The first things you notice are the map is more interactive, the touch screen is much more responsive and it's so much faster and easier to scroll around the map. One thing I found annoying about my old XL was if you zoomed in or out it would reset back to the default position after a few seconds, also if you wanted to look at a different part of the route or map you had to mess about going through a number of pages to find the browse map option. Both these issues have thankfully been resolved, if you zoom in or out the view stays where you leave it and to scroll around the map all you have to do is touch the arrow icon on the screen. Instead of pages of icons there is now a row of 7 icons and a settings icon with sub menus but I can't say I've noticed any options or features missing that I've ever used, to me it just appears to have a more simplified layout so everything you need is easy to access.

It feels very solid and good quality, the mount is a big improvement in every way, the touch screen is very responsive, it's easier to operate and navigate, the graphics are a bit of an improvement but it's how much smoother they are that is really impressive. There is hardly any processing delay when scrolling around the map, calculating routes probably never takes any more than about 10 seconds, the sound is also much better thanks to a better speaker and improved spoken voices with the additional feature of being able to say names (streets, towns, city's etc.). My only criticism is that the map updates are very slow to make it from real world to TomTom's system. There has been a significant road layout change near me on a very busy road and it took around 3 - 4 months until the update was available, even a free sat nav app I have on my phone updated the alteration in a few weeks. On the whole though it is a brilliant sat nav and I'm very glad I bought it.