---- UPDATE - 27/06/14 ----

This update focusses on features that are yet to come to the GO series of sat-navs, as well as a few of my new-found annoyances. Some I've stumbled across, others have been brought to my attention by communication from other customers in the comments section below.

- 'Avoid road block' still isn't a feature. There is a...
Published 12 months ago by DARKcell

2.0 out of 5 stars Review after several months of ownership
I've always used TomTom for my sat nav devices, this is by far the worst I've used.

1. Traffic through my phone connection. For months my iPhone would not connect to give me traffic updates despite my phone saying it was connected while TomTom said it could not find my device (iPhone 5s). A recent firmware update does seem to have resolved that issue...
Published 4 months ago by Mr. A. Josling

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Apple sat-nav, the iGO. Toyota won't be happy. Wait, it's made by who?..., 14 Aug 2013
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
---- UPDATE - 27/06/14 ----

- 'Avoid road block' still isn't a feature. There is a work around by zooming out on the map and selecting a waypoint. This hasn't been a major issue for myself, but is for a considerable amount of people, so worth a mention. As of 27/06/14, you can choose an 'alternative route', I'm yet to test this out with regards to trying to avoid closed roads etc, so can't speak to its effectiveness.
- There is a more noticeable lag than when it was new. This can sometimes cause you to press again thinking it hasn't registered your initial press, only for it take your second press and apply it to the next screen, causing you to bounce around menus annoyingly. Doesn't happen a whole lot, but enough to warrant a mention.
- An option of a mute button on the main navigation screen would be great.
- The four dots at the bottom left to get you to the main menu are just too small to use when driving.
- There is still no clock showing the current time. Probably not a huge issue for most, but I regularly use this device in a vehicle where the clock has been removed, so the option would be nice.
- Still no battery/charge indicator on the main navigation screen.

---- SOFTWARE UPDATES - 27/06/14 ----

There have been a number of software updates to the GO series of sat-navs since my purchase. To see the full list of updates, visit the TomTom website here [...]. Below (starting with the most recent) is a list of some of the main features that have been added/changed. Any of my own comments regarding the updates, will be marked clearly with '*****' above and below my opinions :

VERSION 13.057:
- New map colours. You can change to new map colours with better contrast.
- Quick menu. Tap the speed panel or the arrow showing your current location to show the quick menu. From here you can; report speed camera, mark location, change speed limit.
- Wider route bar. The wider route bar shows exit information, amenities, additional fuel station information, rest areas, and much more.
- Alternative route planning. After planning your route, select it to get a pop up menu button; open the menu and select Alternative route, then find Alternative route.
- Accent Colours. You can now customise the display of your device with different colour schemes.
- Share changes to the map. It is now possible to share changes to the map with the TomTom Map Share community.

New map colours:
- As far as I can tell, this is linked with the accent colours. I have chosen the brightest green accent colour. This means that my menus have dabs of the bright green here and there. This colour carries though to your route, during navigation, and also your 'current location' arrow. I don't believe you can actually change the background colours of the map however.
Quick menu:
- Really handy to be able to mark your current location, so you can go back to it later and rename it etc.
Wider route bar:
- This is worth a big mention from me, as you can now view both the time remaining AND distance remaining at the same time. It's been a while coming, but it's finally here! Another big addition to the route bar, is the ability to quickly see the status of LIVE services.
Alternative routes:
- I like this a lot. You get to see the good old fashioned three route option, showing you how much longer the extra two routes will take.
Accent colours:
- This customises the menus, current location arrow, and route etc, not the actual map colour.

VERSION 13.051:
- Voice control has now been added

*****
There are two ways of getting the TomTom to start listening to you. 1) Go the main menu and press 'Voice Control'; 2) Say, "Hey, TomTom". Once the sat-nav is listening to you, you can tell it to do practically anything. My issue is with the "Hey, TomTom" feature. With this feature turned on, the sat-nav is constantly listening, waiting for you to say the magic words. Saying "Hey, TomTom", is all well and good, but on a recent 2hr journey, it kept thinking I was saying it, when I was actually just listening to the radio. After half a dozen wrongful activations, I got fed up and switched it off. Not a massive issue for me, as I've never got on with voice control on any device, so it's an added feature that I'm sure many will love, but I'll happily keep off.

VERSION 13.030:
- My Routes - (We have added My Routes to the GO. You can use My Routes to save, retrieve, edit and delete routes, including itineraries with multiple stops).
- Reorder stops (itinerary planning) - (When you have planned a route with multiple stops, you can now adjust the order of the stops).
- Drive to a route - (When you have planned a route from a starting point that is not your current location, you can now drive to the start of that route. SelectDrive via here, to plan a route from your current location to the starting point of the route, and start following the route).
- Navigate to latitude longitude coordinates - (In the search box, you can now enter a specific set of latitude longitude coordinates).
- Warning sounds when speeding - (You can now both see a visual warning and hear a warning sound when speeding).
- 0-5 km/h too fast: the speed panel turns orange. > 5 km/h too fast: the speed panel turns red.
-Now you can also choose to hear a warning sound when speeding: > 5 km/h too fast: you hear three beeps. The warning sound can be turned on and off in the Main Menu.
- Time-dependent speed limits - (We now offer time-dependent speed limits in the following European countries: Germany, Poland, Sweden and the Netherlands (requires map version 9.20 or higher, which will be released in the near future)). If you are driving in these countries, the speed limit in the speed panel changes depending on the time of day.
- Other bug fixes and improvements
- Improved route re-calculation - (We have optimised the re-calculation of routes)

VERSION13.020:

- You can now plan a route in advance by choosing a start point and a destination.
- You can now search using single-street or area postcodes.
- You can now report speed cameras.
- In the 3D guidance view you can now pinch to zoom.
- An icon in the main menu and notifications in the driving view now tell you about the connectivity status of TomTom services.
- On the GO 400, GO 500 and GO 600 you can now delete smartphones from the TomTom Traffic & Speed Cameras menu.
- The route bar now shows speed cameras and the first two fuel stations on your route.
- Speed cameras on your route are now shown in the map view and in the guidance view.
- We have improved road signs and speed limits for Australia and New Zealand.
- You can now download premium voices using MyTomTom.
- The keyboard has been improved for entering passwords and email addresses.
- The search interface has been improved.

---- UPDATES END ----
---- UPDATED (27/06/14) REVIEW BEGINS ----
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

This is an in depth product review (updated here and there after almost 11 months use) for TomTom's premium navigation device, the GO 6000 Europe (but will also largely apply to any of the GO X00 and GO X000 devices - for this reason, I have also placed this review within their respective pages). My aim is to provide an honest viewpoint that will help you make a decision about purchasing, whether you're a complete newcomer to sat-navs, or use them on a daily basis. In certain aspects, I will compare this device to my previous sat-nav, a TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World. In recent reviews of TomTom's latest sat-navs I have seen a worrying trend of consumers buying a product without really realising what that specific model can, and more importantly can't do. I will attempt to enlighten you all.

---- TOMTOM GO X00/X000 PRODUCT RANGE DIFFERENCES ----

Let's get this out the way. The GO 400/500/600 products (only difference being screen size and resolution - 400/500 have a resolution of 480x272 and the 600 a resolution 800x480 [Thanks to 'Bill Roberts' for this correction about resolution]) all connect to LIVE services (i.e. traffic) via a smartphone. This simply means that you need a smartphone (I believe only iPhone or Android) with you at all times if you want to get traffic updates, which you do. To find out if your phone is compatible, [...]. Keep in mind you will be using up data on your phone, so review your contract etc before purchase. The GO 5000/6000 (again only difference between each other is screen size and resolution, the 5000 being 480x272 and the 6000, 800x480) are "always connected". Simply put, they get traffic updates automatically, without having to connect your phone every time.

---- AESTHETICS AND ACCESSORIES ----

It's beautiful. Simple.
I liked the look of my previous sat-nav, but in my opinion this is even more attractive. The corners are more rounded and I prefer the grey plastic on the front as opposed to the black. The 6 inch model is massive, but then it was always going to be. If you're considering the 6 inch model to make text easier to read, don't. The text is the same size as the other models, which to me, makes sense. Bottom line, I love the size and don't regret it. If justification to the wife for forking out extra for a bigger screen is needed, then you can always claim it's safer!
The supplied window mount is just like the one provided with the GO LIVE 1005, only better. I had a few issues with the old one where I'd slot the device into the mount, and just presume it was charging, only for it to die at the most inopportune moment. This time, the charging cable (micro-USB & same length as previous) plugs directly into the back of the mount, never touching the actual sat-nav. The magnet holding the device in place is also stronger than previously, as anything less than a firm pull will simply tilt the mount. To date, this is the best window mount for any sat-nav I have owned/used, it just works.
None of the new GO range come with a case. I have purchased TomTom's own universal case for 6 inch sat-navs for 20 from Amazon. I'm not massively impressed. It's a tight fit, I mean very tight. Once open you can hold it upside down and the sat-nav won't budge. This might be a plus for some, but for me it's already a pain to put in and out, something that will surely push the security-stupid to leave it on show. The case will provide protection from scratches, very minor spills and being bumped around in the glove box. I would NOT want to drop it from normal holding height, even onto carpet. The interior of the case is designed in such a way that forces me to put the sat-nav in backwards, avoiding the risk of the ridiculously placed positioning material scratching the screen (not the touch screen part, but still the glass surrounding it). Clearly designed late on a Friday afternoon! My leather case for my old 5 inch sat-nav was a lot better in my opinion, if they ever sell one for my new 6 incher, I'll definitely get one. TomTom also do a huge case that I've never used/seen that can hold accessories, as well as varying cases for smaller devices.

---- NAVIGATION, TRAFFIC, MAPS AND SPEED CAMERAS ----

After almost 11 months of use, I can confidently say this sat-nav is accurate in terms of arrival times and distances. I doubt the stuff under the hood that calculates these things has changed from my old model, so I'll state what that could do, for reference, if nothing else. The GO LIVE 1005 has been to the minute accurate (on arrival times) for a + 100 mile trip, and within 5-10 minutes for a 400 mile journey. The GO series provides similar levels of accuracy.
The speed at which it finds your route is better than any sat-nav I have used before. I just performed a speed test. From the main map screen through to it having properly started navigating me for a 100 mile journey, took exactly 20 seconds. That included me typing in the address. The destination was new to the sat-nav, and was not stored in my favourites, or as they are now called 'Places'. Re-routing is fast. Not instant, but an average of 2-5 seconds and it realises what's going on. On previous models I have experienced lag round corners and roundabouts where it thinks I'm still an exit behind. Even while driving at speed, the new sat-nav keeps up on the majority of occasions.
When arriving at a destination, it informs you of which side of the road the address is on and where the house number is. It is either exact, very close, or wildly off. When tested against Google Maps on my phone however, I get very similar results, with certain house number/road name combinations confusing it massively. On the whole, it is generally rather close to the house number you have entered.
- TRAFFIC -
TomTom in my opinion and experience provide better traffic updates than any other manufacturer. Now with these new models, you get lifetime (the lifetime of the product) traffic for free. Can't complain. You again have the option of it automatically re-routing you, asking you what to do, or just ploughing on into known traffic.
- MAPS -
You now get lifetime (of the product) free map updates which results in at least four downloads a year.
- SPEED CAMERAS -
With the new GO range, you get three months free speed cameras, at which point you can either try and spot those yellow ******** built deliberately behind trees with your own eyes, or pony up 20/year. Logically, 20 is a lot less than what you would pay having got caught. Fine, points, insurance boost etc. But that's how they get you; there are other options. I use a combination of TomTom speed cameras in my GO sat-nav, alongside my phone running the app 'CamerAlert', with the database from the guys at PGPSW.

---- LAYOUT & FEATURES ----

Let's address the elephant in the room. The new GO series is lacking a decent amount of features compared to the previous GO LIVE 1005. There, I feel better. That said, and I am being completely honest here, I don't care. I simply never used them. I never used bluetooth hands free calling, I never created my own POI's, I never used the 'Help Me' menu, the list goes on. I fully realise that many, many people will have strong opinions about these missing features (and all the others), but at the end of the day, that's why there's more than one company that makes sat-navs.
I simply cannot list all of the features that have been left out, Amazon don't have enough server space. Instead I will talk about a few things that I like and dislike about the layout and features.
---The navigation screen is super clean. No clutter. That's good. To the point where you find yourself looking for things. That's bad. There is no clock or battery meter on the main screen, even when charging (whether in navigation mode or not). For these you must press once and go to the main menu. The only way to figure out if the device is actually charging is by the tiny lightning bolt inside the battery, on the main menu. The vertical cylindrical shaped icon on the navigation screen for the + and - zoom buttons could simply be filled (transparently) up with colour when the battery is full, and have the colour slowly drain down. Simple, effective, no extra clutter, and it would look great. That took me around 20 seconds of staring at the screen to come up with, come on TomTom!
-- With the new (as of 27/06/14) 'dynamic route bar', you can now have both the remaining time and distance, showed at the same time. Finally! This is only available if you actually activate the dynamic route bar, which simply put, makes it wider. It's still transparent, so you're not loosing any of your screen real estate. This wider route bar provides the perfect space (and there is a perfect space), to put a clock showing the current time on the screen, or at least the option to show one. If you choose to have the thinner route bar, then you can't view the remaining time/distance at the same time. You are instead forced to choose between one, or have them change every three seconds. Which is not only my new worst feature on any device, ever, but difficult to understand at a glance. They have improved it by having 'mi' or 'min' now displayed in a contrasting white colour, which makes it easier to read, but still. At a glance it's easy to confuse them, which makes you stare at it for three straight seconds, which could create some issues! My advice is to have it on time remaining only. The distance until the next hazard/traffic/roadworks etc is already on the screen inside the route bar. If you're lucky enough to have a clear run, this will be your total remaining mileage.
--- Typing in addresses is finally enjoyable. The speed at which the letters respond to your touch is akin to an iPhone 5s. Gone are the days when you had to enter the city first. Just type in the road name, and boom, it sorts it out.
-- As far as I can tell you still can't change the actual map colours. However, with the new (as of 27/06/14) 'Accent Colours' setting, you can change the colour of your route, your current position arrow, and a few highlights dotted around all the menus. I like the way the maps look, especially now I can have a bright green line showing my route, it stands out and looks good. Simple.
--- Pinch to zoom is good. Not on the same level as an iPhone 5s, but it's getting there slowly.
--- Your current speed goes orange if slightly over the speed limit, and red if 5mph or more over.
--- Liked customisation ability and multiple menu options on previous TomTom sat-navs? Shop around. There is very little to customise (save for the new 'Accent Colours', but this won't satiate everyone) and the bare minimum of menus/options. On my old GO LIVE 1005, in the settings menu, there were 36 different further icons to click on, on the new GO series, there are around 10. And no, they haven't just condensed them extraordinarily well!

---- CONNECTING DEVICE TO COMPUTER ----

The main issue I had was to discover the computer didn't recognise the sat-nav when it was sat in the window mount, even though it registered as charging. Plug the micro-USB directly into the sat-nav and it connects straight away. I added my new device into my old account with very little trouble at all. The issues of the past are all but gone with the new MyDrive website from TomTom. It looks great, is very clear, and gets the job done.

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

---- CONCLUSION ----

This has been a ridiculously long review, and if you've made it this far I applaud you, as well as apologise. I do hope you've found it helpful.

The TomTom GO series of sat-navs is definitely an acquired taste. In my opinion this is what the first dedicated Apple sat-nav would be like. Attractive, minimalistic, speedy, with very few options. For what I require it to do, it does it, flawlessly. I can't remove stars for features that I wouldn't use, and for that reason, I initially gave it 4 stars, (now upgraded to 4.5 stars as explained below).

In the 11 months I've used this device, the impressively regular software updates has meant that I'm raising this review to 4.5 stars. If they keep up with them, and fix a few of the little niggles I've mentioned then, for me at least, this will be a 5 star navigation device.

Parts of this review will come across as negative, so let me say this - I love my TomTom GO. It's an intuitive, helpful, speedy, intelligent, impressive and downright beautiful navigation device that would look at home on any windscreen. The decision to purchase, as with most things, but even more so with these devices, is a very personal one. Simply put, it will either suit your needs or it won't. In which case I'd suggest you look at older TomTom's or even show your distaste by giving a Garmin a go. Say that quickly over and over again. I dare you.

OVERVIEW
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, needs dependent
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
+ Beautiful screen
+ Premium look and feel
+ Window mount
+ Traffic is best around
+ Route planning accuracy and speed
+ Ease of use
+ Typing speed

CONS (not necessarily for me):
- Decent lack of features compared to previous devices
- Placement of time and battery indicator and other fairly basic stuff

NB:
- Check to see if you can live without the missing features
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...

2.0 out of 5 stars Review after several months of ownership, 2 April 2014

2. The battery life is non-existent. To the point that even though my device is in it's dock pretty much all the time and plugged in to the charging port of my car, if I take it into the house of office to put in an address and plan a new route, the battery will go dead and the TomTom shuts down. I can now regularly be found on cold dark mornings sat in my car entering locations that I am heading to that day.

3. After the update that I refer to in point 1, my TomTom now has lost all the saved locations that I had. Ok, I had a back-up that I can restore from, but this must be the only product in the world that does not re-install your personal settings after an update.

4. Having realised my saved locations had been lost, I plugged my device into my PC this morning to attempt to retrieve them all. My device is connected via USB to my PC and confirms that it is connected to my PC. The TomTom software however tells me that I need to register a device to my account (already been done) and that there is no device currently connected (clearly not the case)

In summary, when it works it is everything I expect from TomTom. Unfortunately there are just too many "niggles" that should not be happening, it is a poor product and not recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs vast improvement, 19 Nov 2013
I wanted to like this product. The screen is bright and easy to operate with a refreshing UI. But it's severley let down by very poor software and limited features that feel like they've really gone for style over substance here. I've used various TomTom sat navs for years and yes their software and especially support has always been poor, but when they worked, they worked brilliantly with traffic rerouting being one of their strongest areas. However this iteration is a huge step backwards to the point of unusability. So I've returned mine and stuck with an older model while I look at other options.

Pros:
- speed and responsiveness. Now moves in almost real time with the car. No lag.
- UI is great and makes others look really dated.

Cons:
- you need to 'tether' your mobile, they don't make this clear. This means turning on Personal Hotspot for iPhone (other smartphones have a similar function) as well as Bluetooth. This drains battery and is also subject to restrictions of your network as some phone companies disable it or charge extra to turn it on.
- very buggy software (e.g. current version doesn't allow you to connect an iphone so no live traffic and it also reboots randomly far too often)
- lots of useful features removed from previous models (no avoid road block option etc)
- you'll have to wait for future updates to reintroduce features, if at all.
- TomTom support; as useful as a chocolate teapot.

If they manage (and it's a BIG if) to restore features and fix the software then I might return to TomTom, but for now you must avoid this current crop of models. Pick up one of their Via or previous year's model instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pain getting it connected to a smart phone but good when it is working, 1 Oct 2013
I needed to get a new phone to get it connected for the traffic then it is hard to get it connected, I needed find a message on my phone then hit 2 buttons very fast that is after I have turned on the bluetooth teathering and data. When I got it working the traffic was good most of the time until I hit a road closed that is not on the roadworks.org website as the avoid and road block buttons are not on this TomTom. My TomTom go 500 stopped working after 5 weeks. Out of stock in Amazon so I got a full refund. I will not be buying another Go 500 or a Go 400 as the mount is crap on the 400. I may get a Go 5000 later if the price goes down. Just turn it on and go no messing around getting connected and using my smart phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sat Nav for all ages., 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: TomTom GO 600 UK & Ireland - 6" Sat Nav with Full UK & Ireland Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Smartphone Connected and Interactive Screen (Electronics)
These Sat navs are fantastic for all ages. They are simple to set up & so easy to use, bearing in mind TomTom strive to update & improve on what already is a fantastic unit.
I purchased the Go live 600 Euro about a month ago & I worked it out that using my Galaxy S 3 over a 2 hour journey it used 7mb of data which kept my sat nav updated with the latest camera's & any traffic jams etc. The phone was so easily set up & paired to this unit & worked brilliantly. The 6" screen sits well on a very sturdy bracket all the information is easy to read & a touch of the finger tips sets up ready to go.
Mine took approximately 5 hours to update with new map & all other updates but once that was done its just great. Free Maps for life are a bonus. Camera subscriptions expire after 3 months. 12 months subscription range from 19-95 to 24-95 depending on which you require.
Pros. Clear 6" easy read screen........ Map updates for the life of the unit.......... Sturdy bracket......... very accurate map coverage.... minimal data usage........ updates that improve elements of the driving experience......... Price is very competitive against other makes...... My drive is so easy to use & understand when needing to update. ......A wealth of forum/technical advice.
Now??? I have used TOMTOMS since the days of Tomtom 1. This is the best that I have ever used without a single glich, This 1 I have just purchased is for our Son that lives in a city I know that he will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars old stock, 27 Jun 2014
F. Heath (Nuneaton.England) - See all my reviews
I ordered this tomtom go 600 on the 20th of june 2014, it came within a couple of days, my only disappointment was the fact that on tomtom's website the go 600 has voice control,but the tomtom go 600 that amazon sent me was manufactured in 2013 and has not got this,the picture on amazon is the later 2014 model that has the small square cut out between the screen and grey case on the right hand side where the microphone is housed, I was on the verge of sending this back to amazon for a refund when I decided the only way to be sure of getting this feature would be to buy directly from tomtom for 219.99 , but then I thought about the extra cost and decided i would have to live without voice control , so I have decided to keep it , apart from this I love everything about it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review from a long term TomTom user, 19 Feb 2014
K. D. Driver (UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this unit for several weeks now and I find that I much prefer my old TomTom Go710 unit to this as it's much less complicated and very easy to use, even if it's screen is only 4". And it still works after many years.

Printing off the manual (no, a hard copy manual doesn't come with the Go 600 unlike the old 710), will take a half inch of A4 printed paper! Yes, I've printed the manual off.

The big screen is great but navigating through the options on the unit takes some getting used to.

It doesn't come with a mains charging lead or a protective case unlike the 710, only a USB lead which in my opinion, is a bit of a bummer for the sake of an extra couple of quid or so which I'd been happy to pay in with the cost of the unit.

Had the protective case and the charging lead not been an extra, I'd been happy to give this product 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, I just wish this had more Go 1000 features, 3 Sep 2013
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The TomTom Go 500 to me has been something of a confusing device to get to review. I am a huge fan of the TomTom GO LIVE 1000 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries) - I even replaced it with a new one just a month ago after a botched battery replacement by yours truly obliterated the GPS chip - rendering the device pretty much useless.

So in my opinion the Go 500 and as an extension the TomTom GO 400 Europe and TomTom GO 600 Europe are all following in some pretty big footsteps. The Go 1000 is not perfect. Fact of the matter is that it was underpowered so it never rendered map changes very quickly which led to a framerate which would make even the most casual gamer cry. However, as a package the TomTom GO LIVE 1000 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)is still brilliant. Live traffic services, good quality maps and brilliant route planning made it pretty much unbeatable.

Which is why in my mind all the Go 500 needed was a new user-interface - as the one on the Go 100 had become very dated - and a better processor to enable the rendering of maps to be much quicker giving a more acceptable framerate. But that isn't really the way TomTom do things.

The Go 500 is a top to bottom redesign. The only think it shares with the Go 1000 is the fact that it fits in the same cradle (though the Go 1000 does not fit in the Go 500's cradle) and maps. That is literally where the comparisons end.

The Go 500 is a totally new - and as a result gorgeous looking device. Gone is the 50 a year subscription to live - it now connects - FOR FREE - via your phones data connections (although it isn't compatible with as many phones as you might hope). So far so good.

The screen is gorgeous with the resolution and brightness levels just right. The mapping data is still spot on - though it does look very different to the old version of the maps - I'm not sure the colour choices are as good.

The device still has integration with services such as camera updates but there is a nominal fee after the first 3 months.

But perhaps it is what isn't available anymore that makes the Go 500 a far weaker proposition than I could ever have imagined.

Features such as being able to use the TomTom as a hands free kit are very much gone. No more voice calls via your TomTom which is incredibly frustrating. Having to buy a new car kit meant that this will probably just become my backup device and live out its days in my boot.

Another annoyance is the fact you can't get detailed traffic info anymore it just shows you on a slider on the side a colour for how bad the traffic is and how long it will hold you up for.

The thing is, that this isn't the only deal breaker. The user interface is very... VERY basic and no longer allows you to input if there is a roadblock ahead so it can re route you around it. Little settings keep on being missing and don't start me about the fact eco routes are set as default. I don't want to drive through a farm.. I want to get form A-B as quickly as possible!

These small niggles actually add up to a serious pain for anyone that does any real mileage. Personally I was just getting very frustrated with it. I ran it next to the Go 1000 for a week or so and they pretty much always choose the same route. Updating on traffic was a few minutes faster on the Go 500 but it is using the data connection from my 3G phone rather than the 2G connection it has built in.

So what does this all mean? Well if you are never going to delve into settings, customise or want a Bluetooth speakerphone built in, get this. It is slick, fast and well built. If you drive a lot, like customisation, want to actually know what the traffic problem is and don't need super smooth graphics get the TomTom GO LIVE 1000 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries). Yes traffic will cost more but it will work much better in the long run and they cost about 100 refurbished off Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom take away most important features on new models, 17 Aug 2013
I have always bought Tom Tom never considering any other product from the opposition, I purchased this to replace my ageing XL model, being a long distance truck driver I'm governed to 55 mph which on the XL I can set in my preferences and I know what time I'm going to arrive for any journey, all the new models have had this feature taken away along with many others, sold it straight away on EBay and went back to using my old faithful. All my fellow truckers have the same view, won't be purchasing anything from Tomtom until speed preferences is returned in the menu.

4.0 out of 5 stars Manual, 18 April 2014
I find the TomTom go 500 is a good piece of equipment. But, would have liked an instruction manual as I am finding my way around by trial and error