5.0 out of 5 stars Secure storage for those valuable photos and docs
A RAID drive like this uses two separate hard discs with the same data duplicated on each, so if one fails there is still a copy. I bought the DS212J DiskStation populated with the two Samsung HD103SI 1TB drives in the bays supplied by the vendor. System set-up was simple after reading the Synology instructions.

I chose to follow this solution for my...
Published on 21 Jun. 2012 by R. F. Stevens

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy with bundled HDDs
This is more of a warning than a review, for reviews I would suggest looking at the DS212j on Amazon without any HDDs installed. I decided to buy the DS212j/6Tb rather than buy HDDs separately, even though it worked out slightly more expensive to do so, as I believed the HDDs would be those most suitable for use in this device.

As always my order was seamless...
Published on 24 April 2012 by Andrew Hollingshead

5.0 out of 5 stars Secure storage for those valuable photos and docs, 21 Jun. 2012
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

I chose to follow this solution for my first-line backups this after the single drive in my supposedly ultra-reliable Western Digital NetStore suffered component failure on the drive's control card and it cost me a small fortune to recover the data from the undamaged hard disk platter.

The Synology is not quite as fast on the 100/1000 LAN as the unit it replaces, and the two 1TB drives combine to only give me 912GB of actual formatted storage, but the peace of mind is immeasurable.

I have designated user areas on the drive (this is not partitioning) for specific purposes, eg Music, Pics, Docs, Backups. The drive allocates space as required and the only limit on any one section is the full capacity of the system. The user areas can have their own access passwords, usually the same as the user passwords on the machines talking to it.

I've not used any of the custom software that came with it apart from the Synology Assistant to get it up and running, which took about ten minutes, most of which was the reading of instructions and checking I was not doing anything silly, and of course the Anti-Virus. System updates are offered on a regular basis, but I choose to apply them manually, and again only for the software I am actually using.

I have carefully not allowed my "Smart" TV or anything else on the LAN to Share the files, because I regard this as a secure store for precious stuff. I have kept it simple and only scanned though the supplied software - all accessible via the PC's web browser after logging in as the DiskStation's administrator.

Power consumption is low and it has options for reducing it further.

The system has fantastic possibilities as an intelligent server for a website or small business, but I don't expect to even touch one percent of them since this for me is purely an archiving system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to setup, 31 Dec. 2013
Basically everything I expected and more. Even has an app to monitor my IP cameras. Easy access of media server from mobile devices.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy with bundled HDDs, 24 April 2012

As always my order was seamless and it arrived the very next day. I opened the NAS to see what HDDs were installed, and then checked them against the list of approved compatible drives on the manufactures website, and was surprised to find they were not listed. I queried this with Synology and they advised that they do not bundle HDDs with any of their products and that the HDDs would have been installed by Amazon or one of their suppliers.

So I raised an incident with Amazon, asking why drives not listed as compatible were installed in this device, and what that means in terms of support. I don't feel fully comfortable storing my data on a device with non-approved HDDs installed. I was advised that I would get a response within a week. After a week I got a reply saying it was still being looked into and I would a response within a few days. After another week passed, I was advised that my details would be passed on to the manufacturer and they would get in touch (I replied explaining again that the manufacturer doesn't bundle the HDDs). After *another* week, Amazon confirmed that they used only drives that are Synology's supported list. At this point I started to get angry and pointed out again, for the third time, that the drives were NOT on Synologys supported list. The issue was eventually escalated and someone from Amazons supply company called and within a couple of hours was able to confirm that the wrong HDDs had been installed in the device. They have offered to replace the HDDs and advised I could return the product and they would swap them out, or they could arrange for a courier to drop off new HDDs and collect the old ones. The problem is my previous NAS was failing and in the 3-4 weeks that passed I had to start using my DS212j. Yes, I should have a backup even if I'm using RAID1 setup, but I don't have this in place at the moment and so now I'm stuck with data on compatible HDDs in my DS212j. The whole experience has been very disappointing.

I cannot recommend enough buying this without HDDs installed, and buying your own HDDs separately. Go to the Synology website and in the Support section there is a list of numerous HDDs you can use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and good software support , phone apps are brilliant!, 25 July 2014
I am pleased with the unit as it runs quiet and cool in the background. It could have done with more instructions and there is a lot to learn as someone new to NAS units. I find some of the software to be less obvious to use than others but am happy with it as a media server and backup device. I have not used it for CCTV cameras. It arrived well packaged and with both drives installed well. I would have given it five stars if there had been a few more tips on software installation and use. Well pleased overall!

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb NAS server, 17 Dec. 2011
A. Stanley (UK) - See all my reviews
There are lots of NAS servers about and this one seemed the get the best reviews where other are less stable, dropping connections, HDDs dieing and so on. I got this mainly to back up my PC and to allow remote access to my music collection.

As HDDs get bigger it seems they are getting less reliable and definitely a consumable item, therefore If you are going to use HDDs for backup, they need to be fault tolerant requiring at least raid 1 configuration. You can get enterprise drives and they will last longer but still have a finite life.

I was a bit disappointed that I had to finish the product as no software was installed, however the process worked ok, and then updated to the latest version.

There are many functions and ways of using this unit, so its operation is complex to say the least. It does seem to be aimed at professional users. I am fairly knowledgeable PC-wise but found it difficult to understand what way the product should be used, I had to resort to reading the manual alot, and its not that clear. I also had alot of false starts because the browser file management requires the latest java in the client to work.

Music access from the Internet works well, but is tricky to setup. There are various wizards to help you and this product will try to configure your router for you, but it didn't recognise my Virgin 50Mb router. However I was able to configure port forwarding manually in the router and the DDNS account setup easily via the Synology unit. Unfortunately my work firewall considers the url I used as a spam source and is blocked, but I can connect using the IP address, discoverable by pinging the url.

The browser music client works but it is a bit clunky, there is a limit to the number of files shown and you have to change the page to see more. This is why I wanted to use a different client but you cannot access using a DLNA client from the internet, this is LAN only. DLNA clients are not well publicised and it took considerable effort to find one and understand the terminology. Windows media player is not a DLNA client in my book despite there being many internet reference saying it is.
There is VPN software available for unit and this might allow remote DLNA access but VPNs are quite difficult to setup and not something you can do when going to friends for a few drinks. And certainly not available on any of the modern media enabled TV and DVD players, so they really need a PC connected to the Hifi for this to work one way or another. I had a lot of fun getting my spare PC setup, audio via HDMI etc, XBMC seems a good free windows DLNA client although not totally stable.

The backup software works pretty smoothly and once setup needs no further attention.
There is even a CCTV package for IP cameras, but you have to pay for licences after the first camera.

I did want to use the drive as data store as well, and connect it as a drive, but this was troublesome. Windows should recognise it and find the shared directories, however I could not get this to work initially. This might have been because I didn't have the DLNA/UPNP stuff installed on my PC (from windows components install, networking). I used the in built web server / browser file manager to upload some files but this was extremely slow, even over my GB connection. You can also use the connection assistant (that you need to setup the unit) to connect it as a drive, but you can only do one directory at a time, and each one needs to be manually disconnected before moving to another shared system directory. This worked much faster for transferring files. Eventually after alot of messing about my PC is now seeing the shared directories under windows networking. Window networking is troublesome at the best of times, so its hard to blame the unit for this.

Since this is accessible from the internet security is important, you can setup firewalls, but I have not tried that yet. Obviously use strong passwords! There are controls to demand that in the unit, and you can setup a lockout after so many failed attempts to prevent brute force attacks. There are some bugs in the strong password setting up, it doesn't really tell you that the password is not good enough if you are the administrator, plus there is little guidance on what characters are allowed, a common problem for those using strong passwords. The random password generator is a good feature.

In summary its a solid unit, good software but good technical knowledge is needed to set it up and access it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit! You need to be a bit of a tech-head to set it up though!, 7 Oct. 2014
I love this piece of kit, but you have to be a bit of a nerd to be able to use it!

First thing I wanted to do (and I guess most people want to do) is do a simple backup from my home network. It took a fair amount of research to get to the point that I could do this. Figuring out how to setup an FTP server also took a bit of research.

My only criticism is that it's a little on the pricey side for what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and great to have files in one place, 16 Jan. 2015
I did loads of research on which brand to go with...Once I'd settled on Synology all I had to figure out was which model to go with (not as easy as you'd think!) as there are lots out there. Mainly went with this because of the software that comes with it. Checked a lot of reviews on Amazon and Google and it seemed that people found it hard to install this device. It is so simple. Unpack, scan instructions, plug everything in, attach to PC/Laptop and it's done. So easy to set up, took about 15 minutes. I haven't opened it up to have access to it outside my network yet and won't till security gets better for all NAS devices.
One down side is the IP address changes every now and then, not an issue for most devices but sometimes the DS app on my Ipad has to be reconfigured to make a connection. Doesn't take long though.
Really worth a buy. I've got almost every device in our house hooked up to our NAS and it is great to have one place to store everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synology NAS, 21 Nov. 2012
Unit was simple to set up as simple Nas storage for home use with RAID. The unit is well built although other reviews you may rerad will suggest it is flimsy before the drives are installed.

The unit was easy to set up with the Synology management software meaning that little IT expertise was required as the interface was fairly straightforward. This was worth a slight premium on price for the Synology product range.

Creating directories with appropriate access rights requires a little thought with multiple users accessing the drive to avoid having to change the file structure.

It is used to store music files for a Sonos system and works well in this application. I have not investigated the many other options and features available with the Synology system so cannot comment but based on the experience of the features I have used I have no reason to believe they would not work.

This review was written about one month after set up and so far the unit has not suffered from any problems. It is connected by ethernet cable to a BT home hub that provides wireless access. For transferring large amounts of data files on initial set up it was worth temporarily connection USB drives via the port on the device or connection the laptop to the router via cable but in normal use wireless access is fine for batches of files equivalent to a few CDs of music.

The unit was purchased from an Amazon affiliate with pre-installed hard drives. This was to minimise set up and allow the quickest delivery, it may not be the best option for all customers. It is worth using the net to find descriptions of how to switch to a single iTunes library file for all users to simplify managemnt and updating. You can of course keep individual Library files for each system user if yo don't want to add all of your partner's or kids music to your own iTunes library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for streaming music options, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Synology DS213J 6TB (2 x 3TB WD Red) 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
As per other reviews, simple to setup and use. Although I'm a bit more technically minded than other members of my family and friends, I appreciate it when a product has been well designed and thought out. I wanted mine for uploadin my large CD music collection to play with Sonos (removing the need to have my PC switched on for local music). It's been a doddle to upload and the interface through a web browser is very easy. If you can use Windows Explorer you can use this.

Virtually silent in operation, smaller footprint than I originally expected. Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Early days but seems like a good buy so far, 12 Mar. 2014
A little tricky to set up. The inital set up process failed and took my internet connection with it. Once I had restored that and found out about the need to add port forwarding things went quite well. The initial set up steps need some additional notes rather than leaving people to look on the forums for information but the actual product and DSM (Disk Management System) appear great. Very quiet and reasonable transfer speeds over a wireless link for my music set up.