5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom killer
Published 12 months ago by smilersteve

Very disappointed with this item and would not recommend it to others. This is the third GPS SatNav I've owned over the past 10 years and was hoping for much more.

I have been using this for over 2 months now and I am not confident it is taking me on the fastest route available.

Let me explain what I mean:

Example 1: This example happens...
Published 3 months ago by Sunshine Soon

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom killer, 6 Nov 2013
I have owned TomTom devices for the last 6 years and have got through 3 of them now. Appalled by the consistently poor(non-existent) service offered by TomTom and the fact that my last two devices have basically died and won't even turn on without being plugged in to a power source I decided to try something else. Believe me, this was not a decision I took lightly as I had been loyal to TomTom for years and very nearly bought the new TomTom Go 5000/6000. I tried both out extensively and decided against the new generation of TomTom device as it has been released in an appalling state of development and should never have been released - just google reviews for it to see what people have to say! There is very limited functionality and I think this new generation has gone for 'pretty' in terms of graphics rather than a proper user interface. Anyway... the Garmin nuvi 3598 is the best SatNav I have ever used by a country mile. The touchscreen is clear and responsive, the voice control works! But more than that, the interface is engaging and interactive. It has taken a little while to get used to from being a TomTom user for years but I have persevered and it has been worth it. The performance exceeds anything I have seen from TomTom in a multitude of ways. Here are just a few of them:

Real-signs are shown which actually look like the ones on the motorway
Junction numbers come up on screen and are spoken making navigation easier
The digital traffic is the best I have ever used, 30 second updates make the information meaningful and you can see delays building long in front of you, helping you make informed decisions about routing. This is far superior to TomTom traffic which I have been using for 4 years and thought theirs was good. (Much more detailed information is available: Broken down vehicle reported in lane one for example).
Place names are shown on the map.
Touch a point on the map to navigate to it.
Detailed weather information etc. available to view
Garmin Smartphone Link actually works unlike TomTom Search which was always very clunky.
There are a plethora of other features which I am still discovering two weeks after buying the device!

The only couple of minor issues I have with Garmin are that to date no manual has been released making using the 3598 a bit like 'suck it and see'. Secondly I have seen comments that the arrival time estimated can be overstated by the device. This appears to be true to a degree if the journey is very short or only on minor roads. In reality my TomTom underestimated the journey time, particularly when there was a traffic delay and ultimately I'd rather arrive early than late, therefore the Garmin wins for me on this score too!

In summary, long time Garmin customers will love it as the functionality and sheer usability of the device is fantastic. For TomTom customers, all I can say is give it a go and stick with it. It beats every TomTom I've ever owned hands down. Best tech decision I've ever made. I may never go back to TomTom unless they sort their development, support and usability issues out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent navigation with live traffic feeds, 7 Mar 2014
Having read all the reviews of most of the SatNavs on the market, I settled for the Garmin 2508LT-D.

The issue I had with all the reviews is that they are very mixed. Lots of people adore a specific SatNav, and lots of people hate the same unit! This makes it very difficult for people like me to establish which is the best to go for.

I have had an old TomTom One unit for many years, and whilst it was okay it did struggle with some of the navigation. I also spent a whole day connecting it up and getting the latest maps etc. which was a total nightmare with TomTom (something others have commented on in their reviews).

I do a lot of miles in a car, though largely on motorways and A roads. I live on the South Coast of the UK so I am frequently up the M3, the A34 to the M40, and north of Bimingham to Manchester or up to Doncaster and back.

My key requirements were: 1. Good screen that is easy to read in the daytime but also when dimmed at night/early mornings. 2. Live traffic updates. 3. Decent navigation accuracy. I have no need for voice activation as I typically put a postcode in and 3 hours later I arrive. I also have no need for integrated Bluetooth or mobile as I also have a phone installed.

In terms of the screen, this unit is really good. Clear, no fuss, nice alerts at the top of the screen, easy to setup and it worked out of the box. At night it auto-dims (or you can set the brightness manually) and I've done around 5,000 miles with it and still find it a great screen. I typically have it on mute, but you can turn the volume down to a low level and still be alerted to speed cameras etc. without intrusion (nothing worse than a SatNav constantly beeping at you - this one doesn't, and you can configure the warning sounds etc).

The best thing about this SatNav is the live traffic updates. This worked straight out of the box and has already been hugely useful. When on a journey, it will warn you of traffic, estimate (and add) the extra journey time and/or allow you to re-route to avoid. I typically find that if there is traffic on, say, the M40, then I just like to know that my journey will take another 10 minutes rather than bothering to re-route. The live traffic is definitely the best reason to get this unit, though I suspect others have the same feature also. I have to say when I was choosing the unit, the TomTom units seemed much more expensive with live traffic updates though.

And finally the navigation. No problems at all so far and it certainly seems smarter than my old TomTom even with the latest maps etc. It just seems more intuitive, and having visited many different business in major towns and in the middle of nowhere, this has not let me know.

My one tiny gripe (though I suspect I just haven't found the function yet) is there is no countdown of the total miles of the trip. It shows you the estimated arrival time but not the mileage countdown, and I tend to always check my car's trip computer to ensure my remaining fuel mileage is always enough to get to the destination which I can't do with this SatNav. As I say, I feel there is a way of showing this (it has a "trip monitor" feature which I haven't bothered to understand yet) so it definitely doesn't warrant one less star on the review.

Overall, this is a really great unit, and I had a local mobile stereo fitter install the wiring behind the dash and add a 12v socket out of sight so I don't have to suffer with trailing wires etc (great result for £35). I would highly recommend the Garmin 2508LT-D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider this before. Buying TomTom, 27 Dec 2013
S. E. Cook (Harlow, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have purchased tom tom for over 20 years however although the HD traffic is good be aware! The availability of the service is appalling. After being asked by Tom Tom to renew my subscription (50 quid) I thought it was time to ditch them and try Garmin. This is an excellent product, the quality is much better than tom tom and the traffic uses the RDS traffic system. However if you do want to link to the live traffic through your phone the subscription is much cheaper although you do need to use your phones data service.

The product looks and feels like an apple product such is the finish and the screen is much better than rival tom tom devices. It's less bulky although the traffic receiver is external to the device (but very small and built into the wire).

The traffic options for Garmin are confusing there are three different options one is traffic via the FM, one is via the DAB frequency and one is via a smart phone (Internet link). The difference between the FM and DAB is the speed of the transmission DAB is every 30 seconds and FM is every 1-2 minutes. The smart link (phone) system is live.

I think I am a convert, it's a shame tom tom provide such a poor service, I doubt they would provide their service availability stats but trust me they are very poor - just read the other reviews here.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT KIT AT A GREAT PRICE, 17 May 2014
Ranked No 3 in this years Auto Express Sat Nav test, No's 1 & 2 are considerably more expensive and offer no better features or quality. This is a good sat nav. It looks good with a large, clear screen and it knows where it's going!!! Redirects quickly should you miss a turn or find your way blocked etc. The free accessory pack that came with it and the fact that it's £30 more everywhere else made my mind up to buy it.
Ignore the silly negative review from one individual who complained that it didn't speak in French or with a French accent when they were on the continent! Really??? Perhaps they wanted the cast of 'Allo Allo' to direct them. Good job they weren't in Romania or else Dracula would be expected to guide them!
Anyway, great bit of kit at a great price, what more could you ask?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really very pleased with this sat nav. It looks good and it works very well.

Out of the box, it is very easy to set up and get going. Literally, attach the mount to your car windscreen, plug the charging unit into the cigarette lighter, attach the sat nav and off you go.

It is easy and intuitive to program in where you would like to go. The satellites are found quickly and easily - much better and quicker than sat navs made by a garmin competitor. The standard ready set voice is not annoying which is a bonus!

As for the directions it gives, they are clear and accurate. The maps are easy to read and have not made an error on any of my routes yet. If you go the wrong way, the sat nav instantly configures a new route - there is no waiting for it to think about it.

The traffic warnings seem to work. There has only been one occasion so far that I have been warned about a queue so far, but this was accurate. More fool me - I ignored the warning just to see if it was working and ended up sitting in a long line of traffic!

Overall, this is an excellent device, and I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the upgrade, 23 Aug 2014
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2598LMT-D 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Digital Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)
It seems Amazon are lumping together reviews of several different Garmin models - this review relates to the Nuvi 2598LMT-D EU.

We decided to buy a new sat nav largely because it was going to cost a fair bit to update the maps which made this model, with its lifetime updates and useful features which weren't available when we bought our last sat nav (also a Garmin) five or six years back, an attractive proposition. We also wanted to have all the European maps on the device and not have to fiddle around adding and removing maps because of capacity issues. We didn't buy it from Amazon because it was cheaper at a well-known car accessory supplier.

Set up was quite simple although downloading map updates took an age but this is more to do with our appallingly slow broadband connection than with Garmin. We tested it out on a few UK journeys that we are very familiar with to ensure it was working satisfactorily before we headed off to Europe on holiday. I have to say it is much better than our old satnav (which was a highly recommended one at the time of purchase). Routing was quick and delivered the appropriate route. We were delighted to find that if you divert from the route there was a much quicker re-calculation than the old machine, and without the 're-calculating, recalculating' chant that used to drive us mad. We also noticed how much better directions were - useful stuff like 'turn left at the traffic lights'. There is also a distinct improvement in instructions compared to our old model which seemed to notify turns far too early sometimes leading us astray and invoking the 're-calculating, re-calculating' chant. The lane direction split screen is also very useful - it doesn't appear for every junction (and frankly isn't needed most of the time) but it made life a lot easier going into Paris. The screen is very clear and immediately reacts to changes such as entering tunnels when it switches to a style more suited for night-viewing. It was also useful to know on the motorway where the next fuel services or roadworks were coming up so we could plan ahead.

The only problem we had was with the directions to a supermarket in Beaune chosen from the menu - we got there but to the delivery bay and had to re-trace our journey round the block to the customer entrance. On another occasion the map was out of date but in fairness the road had only just opened so I imagine that the next update will take care of that.

The one really irritating factor on this one was the English speaking woman (the default on our machine). To put it mildly she struggled with pronunciation in French. Initially this was very amusing (an Avenue Neuchatel was pronounced 'avu neighchaaartel' - it took several attempts for us to work out what she was saying and it only became clear when I noticed the road name on a wall!). After a while the joke wore thin and we chose to have instructions read out in French - I can confidently give directions in French now having listened to this for three weeks!

From our point of view, aside from a couple of minor niggles, we think the upgrade to the new model was worth it, providing lots of useful features, a better screen and faster directions as well as lifetime map & travel updates.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will get you where you want to go, but not necessarily by the fastest route., 31 July 2014

Let me explain what I mean:

Example 1: This example happens frequently; The 'fastest route' takes me down narrow country lanes, sometimes with the hedges touching both wing mirrors. I live in the country and am quite used to country lanes - but it is Garmin's timing of the journey where the problem lies; the first time this happened the journey time was initially shown to be 33 minutes - this timing slipped by 9 minutes over the length of the journey. In other words, I couldn't drive at the speed Garmin had taken into account when it initially decided that this was the fastest route available. And I knew there was a faster road available which would never have taken me as long as it did. I am a competent driver and am used to shaving a few minutes off the journey time predicted by my previous SatNav.

Thinking that this may have been a one-off due to roadworks or an accident of which I was unaware, I tested it on a number of occasions over familiar routes during the next few weeks. Very useful for introducing me to never before seen corners of my local area but has left me unconvinced Garmen can be relied upon to take me on the fastest route. Very disappointing.

Garmin's customer Services were excellent and spent some time with me making sure all the settings were as they should be - and they were (I am not a stranger to SatNavs)

Example 2: On a journey only last last week, I went off the 'fastest route' as recommended by Garmen. As soon as I took the 1st exit on the roundabout Garmin re-calculated the route and immediately took 2 minutes off my expected journey time. If there was a route variation that was 2 minutes quicker - why was it taking me on the longer route in the first place???

There are other little niggles such as spoken route advice on motorways and other fast roads not coming soon enough to get easily into the correct lane early enough - especially in heavy holiday traffic. Similarly I often find myself waiting for the spoken directions in town driving.

On the plus side the display is excellent - crystal clear and informative. It picks up the satellites and calculates the route very quickly. The live traffic update seems to work quite well, but had hoped it would show traffic holdups more quickly.

In conclusion, it is now too late for me to return this item for a refund, which I should have done when there was still time.

Having experienced both Garmin and Tom Tom SatNavs, I am sure my next one will be another Tom Tom - an probably sooner that I really need to change it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in a patchy way, 27 Mar 2014
Angus Jenkinson "angusjenkinson" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is much better then the older satnav it replaced. It has a more dynamic screen (touch sensitive enabling quick focus and expansion), traffic updates, a variety of useful information (like restaurants) that you can switch on or off and a generally good user interface. Decent hands free too. Sometimes the instruction to act is a bit delayed. It tends to leave you to get back on its route rather than to tell you how to get there. In the middle of London in narrow streets when the car starts off pointing in the wrong direction, that can be awkward. I don't think it always finds the best route. We live barely a mile and a half from the A4 leading to the M4, but instead of noticing that a longer route via the M4 and M25 would be quicker than cutting across the myriad streets of London we can find ourselves in painful urban journeys. Without an easy way to change. So it is liked but not loved

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the Range, 11 Mar 2014
This is (currently) the top-of-the-range SatNav from Garmin. It has lifetime maps and lifetime traffic, voice control and Bluetooth link to a phone. I plugged it into my computer, registered it using Garmin Express and then upgraded both the software and the map. I have a 60Mbps broadband so this upgrade took only 30 minutes including installing the map on my computer so that I can use it with other Garmin devices such as my Forerunner 205. Some of the Voice Control features are not available in the UK but all the important ones are. In order to upgrade the USB cable has to be plugged directly into the SatNav rather than via the mount.

Note that to receive traffic information you do have to have the 12V power plug connected and the power lead in place. Digital traffic information is updated twice each minute and you can select whether to change your route or sit out a delay. If you use Auto then the SatNav will calculate an alternative route for you.

I bought this at a substantial discount as Used because Amazon were out-of-stock at the time. I ordered on Monday and received the SatNav on Tuesday. I recommend this Amazon Market Place Seller 'pmw2012' for good value and fast delivery.

Finally ... I used to buy TomTom but I have had too many bad experiences with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars his machine is unfit for driving and should not be on sale, 9 Oct 2014
took the Garmin to spain, an absolute nightmare !
The brightness would suddenly drop to 20% so the screen unreadable in the sunlight. I have since noted in forums that it is an known fault ! yet still it is for sale - Shame on them.
it also does not tell you how many miles to destination on the on going screen..
It does not give clear direction on smaller roads and when you take wrong turning it doest alert you in any way whatsover.
Thanks to the garming I have discovered a lot more of spain that I have ever wanted to know.

In short this machine is unfit for driving and should not be on sale