4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the upgrade
It seems Amazon are lumping together reviews of several different Garmin models - this review relates to the Nuvi 2598LMT-D EU.

Published 4 months ago by Marand

Very disappointed with this item and would not recommend it to others. This is the third GPS SatNav I've owned over the past 10 years and was hoping for much more.

I have been using this for over 2 months now and I am not confident it is taking me on the fastest route available.

Let me explain what I mean:

Example 1: This example happens...
Published 4 months ago by Sunshine Soon

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the upgrade, 23 Aug 2014
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2598LMT-D 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Digital Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)

We decided to buy a new sat nav largely because it was going to cost a fair bit to update the maps which made this model, with its lifetime updates and useful features which weren't available when we bought our last sat nav (also a Garmin) five or six years back, an attractive proposition. We also wanted to have all the European maps on the device and not have to fiddle around adding and removing maps because of capacity issues. We didn't buy it from Amazon because it was cheaper at a well-known car accessory supplier.

Set up was quite simple although downloading map updates took an age but this is more to do with our appallingly slow broadband connection than with Garmin. We tested it out on a few UK journeys that we are very familiar with to ensure it was working satisfactorily before we headed off to Europe on holiday. I have to say it is much better than our old satnav (which was a highly recommended one at the time of purchase). Routing was quick and delivered the appropriate route. We were delighted to find that if you divert from the route there was a much quicker re-calculation than the old machine, and without the 're-calculating, recalculating' chant that used to drive us mad. We also noticed how much better directions were - useful stuff like 'turn left at the traffic lights'. There is also a distinct improvement in instructions compared to our old model which seemed to notify turns far too early sometimes leading us astray and invoking the 're-calculating, re-calculating' chant. The lane direction split screen is also very useful - it doesn't appear for every junction (and frankly isn't needed most of the time) but it made life a lot easier going into Paris. The screen is very clear and immediately reacts to changes such as entering tunnels when it switches to a style more suited for night-viewing. It was also useful to know on the motorway where the next fuel services or roadworks were coming up so we could plan ahead.

The only problem we had was with the directions to a supermarket in Beaune chosen from the menu - we got there but to the delivery bay and had to re-trace our journey round the block to the customer entrance. On another occasion the map was out of date but in fairness the road had only just opened so I imagine that the next update will take care of that.

The one really irritating factor on this one was the English speaking woman (the default on our machine). To put it mildly she struggled with pronunciation in French. Initially this was very amusing (an Avenue Neuchatel was pronounced 'avu neighchaaartel' - it took several attempts for us to work out what she was saying and it only became clear when I noticed the road name on a wall!). After a while the joke wore thin and we chose to have instructions read out in French - I can confidently give directions in French now having listened to this for three weeks!

From our point of view, aside from a couple of minor niggles, we think the upgrade to the new model was worth it, providing lots of useful features, a better screen and faster directions as well as lifetime map & travel updates.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will get you where you want to go, but not necessarily by the fastest route., 31 July 2014

Let me explain what I mean:

Example 1: This example happens frequently; The 'fastest route' takes me down narrow country lanes, sometimes with the hedges touching both wing mirrors. I live in the country and am quite used to country lanes - but it is Garmin's timing of the journey where the problem lies; the first time this happened the journey time was initially shown to be 33 minutes - this timing slipped by 9 minutes over the length of the journey. In other words, I couldn't drive at the speed Garmin had taken into account when it initially decided that this was the fastest route available. And I knew there was a faster road available which would never have taken me as long as it did. I am a competent driver and am used to shaving a few minutes off the journey time predicted by my previous SatNav.

Thinking that this may have been a one-off due to roadworks or an accident of which I was unaware, I tested it on a number of occasions over familiar routes during the next few weeks. Very useful for introducing me to never before seen corners of my local area but has left me unconvinced Garmen can be relied upon to take me on the fastest route. Very disappointing.

Garmin's customer Services were excellent and spent some time with me making sure all the settings were as they should be - and they were (I am not a stranger to SatNavs)

Example 2: On a journey only last last week, I went off the 'fastest route' as recommended by Garmen. As soon as I took the 1st exit on the roundabout Garmin re-calculated the route and immediately took 2 minutes off my expected journey time. If there was a route variation that was 2 minutes quicker - why was it taking me on the longer route in the first place???

There are other little niggles such as spoken route advice on motorways and other fast roads not coming soon enough to get easily into the correct lane early enough - especially in heavy holiday traffic. Similarly I often find myself waiting for the spoken directions in town driving.

On the plus side the display is excellent - crystal clear and informative. It picks up the satellites and calculates the route very quickly. The live traffic update seems to work quite well, but had hoped it would show traffic holdups more quickly.

In conclusion, it is now too late for me to return this item for a refund, which I should have done when there was still time.

Having experienced both Garmin and Tom Tom SatNavs, I am sure my next one will be another Tom Tom - an probably sooner that I really need to change it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some problems explained here., 11 Jan 2014
Mr. N. Bonsor - See all my reviews
Have just completed a 1500 mile journey across Europe having just acquired it .The problems I encountered were.
1) In planning the trip I tried to download Garmin Basecamp to my computer but this failed repeatedly.
2) Voice-over commands were frequently incomprehensible. In France she neither spoke with a French accent nor an anglicised phonetic rendering she just got the names wrong. This did not matter too much because :
3)She gave the street names you were turning into . Not very useful because you usually do not know the name of the street anyway so it does not provide a check. It would have been better to give the direction stated on signpost..
4)S lightly unreliable on roundabouts. Method was to tell you to take a numbered turn off eg 'take the third turning off' but would fail to include one of the minor turnings. Great care was needed
5) Once directed to a dead end. On the other hand once directed on rutted track through graveyard which was just fine!
6) Trip -planner quite hard to use because you could not enter where you want the journey to end only intermediate points. What you have to do is go to 'Edit journey' then 'optimise route' then 'Done' then 'Save journey'. Odd glitch as it is such an obvious one.
7) You have to provide an address for the place you are going to. You must enter one of the addresses provided and it might be some way from where you want to go. Perhaps this is the most annoying thing about the device.
By and large an excellent device and I would recommend it. Don't bother with the travel pack if you are offered it.It comes with a case which does not fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 13 Aug 2014
My old Garmin did not have map update. Since I have used it for 5 years, I decided that it was time for a new one. I chose this because of it free map updates and live traffic.

I noticed there were comments about it being hard to use. Maybe because I have been using Garmin GPS for a long time, I found this use Garmin GPS easy to use. I can save destinations easily. The brightness of the screen can also be set easily. Sounds and graphics are clear.

I have had it for a month now and even used it in Croatia for a week! All in all, we love it and would recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seemed a good product only at first, 17 Dec 2013
This review refers to the Garmin Nuvi 2598LMT-D EU 5" Sat Nav with UK + Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Digital Traffic Alerts.

I read the 1 and 2 star reviews and concluded there wasn't much wrong with this device compared with the TomTom equivalent. The fragmented menu structure is not as good as the TomTom One which this replaced but the features are excellent. Full Europe lifetime maps & traffic at this price has to be a bargain. After some exploring and using the help function, I found every function that I needed eventually, but it should have been easier. I too puzzled over the apparently missing accessory to get traffic when I first got it out of its box. You get this message when it is not plugged into the car. The traffic function uses the power lead as an aerial and if you use it stand alone indoors, you will get the missing accessory message. I know the traffic function works because it warned me of a jam on its first outing. They could usefully change "Save" to "Save as favourite".

After four weeks using it, I have removed two stars from my initial good impressions. Even though I have selected fastest routes in the settings, it has an unaccountable wish to divert me from a route that I know well to take me down narrow country lanes. If you ignore its suggestion, the arrival time suddenly improves by a couple of minutes as if choosing the most obvious route hadn't occurred to it. It's arrival times are highly inaccurate, eg 15 minutes too long for a simple 40-minute journey. There seems to be some serious deficiencies in its map data and its algorithms. Pity because it seems to be good at most things, except its main purpose: navigating.

After eight weeks, I have removed another star after I thought I would install some map updates. Even just to update existing maps, they isn't enough memory so you have to insert your own micro-SD card. I then discovered the update process had deleted English entirely and had spontaneously selected Danish. If there is more than one street with the same post code, you can't choose the road from a list for that code and so you can't choose the house. This product is well below the standard that you would expect.

After four months, it is still below an acceptable standard, even after checking all the settings and downloading the latest software. Its latest trick is to try to lure me on the M25. It claims there is a jam on the A3 when it is clear. The jams are on the slip road to the M25. If I ignore it, it reduces the arrival time by 10 minutes. I suspect that most people write their reviews after using the product once, as I initially did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 2 Aug 2014
Much improved over my 5 year old Tom Tom as you might expect. the interface is especially good and the screen crystal clear. Large screen means easy to see from both driver and passenger perspectives, very important as my wife argues with the woman in the satnav about directions.
This unit exceeded my expectation and I recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd have stuck with a TomTom, 1 July 2014
I had previously used a TomTom Sat Nav but decided to go for the Garmin based on various reviews. Wish I'd have ignored them as the functionality of the Garmin is nowwhere near as good as the TomTom. The basic navigation may be fine once it is actually working on a route but setting up for destinations, finding various points of interest and general configuration is convoluted and lacks any sensible processes.
The online software for additional features and maintenance is poor and again does not come anywhere near TomTom for overall functions, features and ease of use. The first time I tried carrying out an update it trashed the voice command system and I had to get their support to send a fix. The Garmin Express and Basecamp applications have also caused problems with my computer (running Win8.1) and I've twice had to uninstall them and re-install.

Overall the only reason it gets two stars is that when actually in use in the car and having all been set up it does then function as a reasonable sat nav for the route chosen, providing i do not wish to make any modifications to my chosen destination. Very disappointed with my purchase :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with this unit - and you never will on your journey!, 16 Sep 2014
This is by far the best satellite navigation system I have come across, not only comes with free lifetime maps but full live traffic updates, live road works in progress and even adds almost exact extra travel time given any issues on the roads on your journey. A very nice sized easy to use 'streight out of the box' unit ........ You can't really go wrong, with price, value for money or on your journey.

My top buy for 2014 ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational!, 3 Aug 2014
I bought this to replace a Garmin Nuvi 360 that I'd owned for about 6 years. By comparing the devices, you can see how far Garmin have come in that time. Finding satellites seems to be almost instant, digital traffic is excellent and appears to be very reliable. I drove from Surrey to the French Alps after buying this and the fact that it displays the current speed limit in MPH in Europe was a real plus for staying legal when not driving on motorways. The junction visualisations for motorways is also impressive and was again very useful on unfamiliar roads in Europe. The Up ahead function makes it a lot easier to find, restaurants and fuel en route. I thought the 5 inch display might be a bit too big, but actually seemed about right. Very impressed with this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Ello, 'Ello, 'ello, 20 Aug 2014
Excellent, well made product. Done 800 miles in France without it putting a foot wrong.

Only 4 stars as the pronunciation of French road names and towns is totally and utterly comical. The cast of 'ello 'ello could done a better job!!

But ultimately, pronunciation apart, it works and updated fine.