5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom killer
Published 9 months ago by smilersteve

3.0 out of 5 stars Some problems explained here.
Have just completed a 1500 mile journey across Europe having just acquired it .The problems I encountered were.
1) In planning the trip I tried to download Garmin Basecamp to my computer but this failed repeatedly.
Published 7 months ago by Mr. N. Bonsor

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom killer, 6 Nov 2013
I have owned TomTom devices for the last 6 years and have got through 3 of them now. Appalled by the consistently poor(non-existent) service offered by TomTom and the fact that my last two devices have basically died and won't even turn on without being plugged in to a power source I decided to try something else. Believe me, this was not a decision I took lightly as I had been loyal to TomTom for years and very nearly bought the new TomTom Go 5000/6000. I tried both out extensively and decided against the new generation of TomTom device as it has been released in an appalling state of development and should never have been released - just google reviews for it to see what people have to say! There is very limited functionality and I think this new generation has gone for 'pretty' in terms of graphics rather than a proper user interface. Anyway... the Garmin nuvi 3598 is the best SatNav I have ever used by a country mile. The touchscreen is clear and responsive, the voice control works! But more than that, the interface is engaging and interactive. It has taken a little while to get used to from being a TomTom user for years but I have persevered and it has been worth it. The performance exceeds anything I have seen from TomTom in a multitude of ways. Here are just a few of them:

Real-signs are shown which actually look like the ones on the motorway
Junction numbers come up on screen and are spoken making navigation easier
The digital traffic is the best I have ever used, 30 second updates make the information meaningful and you can see delays building long in front of you, helping you make informed decisions about routing. This is far superior to TomTom traffic which I have been using for 4 years and thought theirs was good. (Much more detailed information is available: Broken down vehicle reported in lane one for example).
Place names are shown on the map.
Touch a point on the map to navigate to it.
Detailed weather information etc. available to view
Garmin Smartphone Link actually works unlike TomTom Search which was always very clunky.
There are a plethora of other features which I am still discovering two weeks after buying the device!

The only couple of minor issues I have with Garmin are that to date no manual has been released making using the 3598 a bit like 'suck it and see'. Secondly I have seen comments that the arrival time estimated can be overstated by the device. This appears to be true to a degree if the journey is very short or only on minor roads. In reality my TomTom underestimated the journey time, particularly when there was a traffic delay and ultimately I'd rather arrive early than late, therefore the Garmin wins for me on this score too!

In summary, long time Garmin customers will love it as the functionality and sheer usability of the device is fantastic. For TomTom customers, all I can say is give it a go and stick with it. It beats every TomTom I've ever owned hands down. Best tech decision I've ever made. I may never go back to TomTom unless they sort their development, support and usability issues out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider this before. Buying TomTom, 27 Dec 2013
S. E. Cook (Harlow, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have purchased tom tom for over 20 years however although the HD traffic is good be aware! The availability of the service is appalling. After being asked by Tom Tom to renew my subscription (50 quid) I thought it was time to ditch them and try Garmin. This is an excellent product, the quality is much better than tom tom and the traffic uses the RDS traffic system. However if you do want to link to the live traffic through your phone the subscription is much cheaper although you do need to use your phones data service.

The product looks and feels like an apple product such is the finish and the screen is much better than rival tom tom devices. It's less bulky although the traffic receiver is external to the device (but very small and built into the wire).

The traffic options for Garmin are confusing there are three different options one is traffic via the FM, one is via the DAB frequency and one is via a smart phone (Internet link). The difference between the FM and DAB is the speed of the transmission DAB is every 30 seconds and FM is every 1-2 minutes. The smart link (phone) system is live.

I think I am a convert, it's a shame tom tom provide such a poor service, I doubt they would provide their service availability stats but trust me they are very poor - just read the other reviews here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent navigation with live traffic feeds, 7 Mar 2014
Having read all the reviews of most of the SatNavs on the market, I settled for the Garmin 2508LT-D.

The issue I had with all the reviews is that they are very mixed. Lots of people adore a specific SatNav, and lots of people hate the same unit! This makes it very difficult for people like me to establish which is the best to go for.

I have had an old TomTom One unit for many years, and whilst it was okay it did struggle with some of the navigation. I also spent a whole day connecting it up and getting the latest maps etc. which was a total nightmare with TomTom (something others have commented on in their reviews).

I do a lot of miles in a car, though largely on motorways and A roads. I live on the South Coast of the UK so I am frequently up the M3, the A34 to the M40, and north of Bimingham to Manchester or up to Doncaster and back.

My key requirements were: 1. Good screen that is easy to read in the daytime but also when dimmed at night/early mornings. 2. Live traffic updates. 3. Decent navigation accuracy. I have no need for voice activation as I typically put a postcode in and 3 hours later I arrive. I also have no need for integrated Bluetooth or mobile as I also have a phone installed.

In terms of the screen, this unit is really good. Clear, no fuss, nice alerts at the top of the screen, easy to setup and it worked out of the box. At night it auto-dims (or you can set the brightness manually) and I've done around 5,000 miles with it and still find it a great screen. I typically have it on mute, but you can turn the volume down to a low level and still be alerted to speed cameras etc. without intrusion (nothing worse than a SatNav constantly beeping at you - this one doesn't, and you can configure the warning sounds etc).

The best thing about this SatNav is the live traffic updates. This worked straight out of the box and has already been hugely useful. When on a journey, it will warn you of traffic, estimate (and add) the extra journey time and/or allow you to re-route to avoid. I typically find that if there is traffic on, say, the M40, then I just like to know that my journey will take another 10 minutes rather than bothering to re-route. The live traffic is definitely the best reason to get this unit, though I suspect others have the same feature also. I have to say when I was choosing the unit, the TomTom units seemed much more expensive with live traffic updates though.

And finally the navigation. No problems at all so far and it certainly seems smarter than my old TomTom even with the latest maps etc. It just seems more intuitive, and having visited many different business in major towns and in the middle of nowhere, this has not let me know.

My one tiny gripe (though I suspect I just haven't found the function yet) is there is no countdown of the total miles of the trip. It shows you the estimated arrival time but not the mileage countdown, and I tend to always check my car's trip computer to ensure my remaining fuel mileage is always enough to get to the destination which I can't do with this SatNav. As I say, I feel there is a way of showing this (it has a "trip monitor" feature which I haven't bothered to understand yet) so it definitely doesn't warrant one less star on the review.

Overall, this is a really great unit, and I had a local mobile stereo fitter install the wiring behind the dash and add a 12v socket out of sight so I don't have to suffer with trailing wires etc (great result for 35). I would highly recommend the Garmin 2508LT-D.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some problems explained here., 11 Jan 2014
Mr. N. Bonsor - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2598LMT-D 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Digital Traffic Alerts (Electronics)
2) Voice-over commands were frequently incomprehensible. In France she neither spoke with a French accent nor an anglicised phonetic rendering she just got the names wrong. This did not matter too much because :
3)She gave the street names you were turning into . Not very useful because you usually do not know the name of the street anyway so it does not provide a check. It would have been better to give the direction stated on signpost..
4)S lightly unreliable on roundabouts. Method was to tell you to take a numbered turn off eg 'take the third turning off' but would fail to include one of the minor turnings. Great care was needed
5) Once directed to a dead end. On the other hand once directed on rutted track through graveyard which was just fine!
6) Trip -planner quite hard to use because you could not enter where you want the journey to end only intermediate points. What you have to do is go to 'Edit journey' then 'optimise route' then 'Done' then 'Save journey'. Odd glitch as it is such an obvious one.
7) You have to provide an address for the place you are going to. You must enter one of the addresses provided and it might be some way from where you want to go. Perhaps this is the most annoying thing about the device.
By and large an excellent device and I would recommend it. Don't bother with the travel pack if you are offered it.It comes with a case which does not fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT KIT AT A GREAT PRICE, 17 May 2014
Ranked No 3 in this years Auto Express Sat Nav test, No's 1 & 2 are considerably more expensive and offer no better features or quality. This is a good sat nav. It looks good with a large, clear screen and it knows where it's going!!! Redirects quickly should you miss a turn or find your way blocked etc. The free accessory pack that came with it and the fact that it's 30 more everywhere else made my mind up to buy it.
Ignore the silly negative review from one individual who complained that it didn't speak in French or with a French accent when they were on the continent! Really??? Perhaps they wanted the cast of 'Allo Allo' to direct them. Good job they weren't in Romania or else Dracula would be expected to guide them!
Anyway, great bit of kit at a great price, what more could you ask?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tool, but some occasionally odd routings., 7 Jun 2014
Gryphon (Bedford, England) - See all my reviews
I used this Satnav in anger to drive from Cambridgeshire to somewhere in E. Sussex that I did not know well 100 miles away and then on from there into West Wales.

Setting up takes a few hours depending upon your broadband speed. Mine is a 10Mbps service and the full system and map updates completed in just under 2 hours. Registering the unit was fast and a very simple process.

NOTE: If you only have a UK Map loaded then the on board memory is fine. If however you have the full EU map and need to update it (mine needed a 3GB update) then you will not have enough memory. Buy a microSD or microSDHC card!! You will need it.

Using the Garmin on line routing software (Basecamp) that forms part of Garmin software suite does need some real work by Garmin. It really is clunky and unable to cope with postcodes! It repeatedly got the address completely wrong on line and yet the version on the Nüvi itself was spot on every time. Garmin Express works fine though.

The unit routed very quickly and using the included radio receiver meant the traffic information and roadworks were warned of up to 120 miles ahead of time along with approximate delays.

The map is clear and unlike at least one review I have seen, the system does work with UK postcodes - though the Garmin Express software is rubbish at it - so no messing about looking up addresses just pop in your target postcode and you're away.

GPS Lockon was very fast as route planning took only a few seconds to complete.

At each important junction the map auto zooms from your setting to a much closer image allowing the operator to see the junction layout, and road signs are shown in this semi-real format which helps. Having gone through the junction it zooms out again.

I found that even in a hired Transit (not the quietist of transporters) all the voice instructions were clearly audible and always in good time.

The ETA was correct to within 5 minutes even from estimating at the start of a 300 mile stage. Re routing was fast and made sense. The A34 was closed due to flooding and this nav unit re routed in under 10 seconds. If I ignored the directions then again the system re planned the route very quickly, often as I was passing through the junction it had wanted me to take.

Speed limit warnings were frequently wrong, but I was not at that time using the live version which requires connection from a mobile phone (and uses your monthly data allowance!). Speed limit data was also far from accurate on many of the roads in Wales as it frequently showed NSL when a 30 or 40 limit was in effect. All drivers are warned not to rely on that information, and you really shouldn't.

Some of the routing in E Sussex was a little odd and I knew part of the route of which there were no single track roads. The Nüvi managed to find a few odd ones though on its 'fastest' selection. There was no way I would have put any single track roads as part of any 'fastest' selection even if I was playing at being a 'white van man'!!

All in all this nav may be expensive, but it is easy to use, accurate, has an excellent windscreen mount - though the power cable/radio receiver cable could do with some thought and improvement - very clear screen, touch capable with pinch zoom and a clear voice system. Well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the Range, 11 Mar 2014
This is (currently) the top-of-the-range SatNav from Garmin. It has lifetime maps and lifetime traffic, voice control and Bluetooth link to a phone. I plugged it into my computer, registered it using Garmin Express and then upgraded both the software and the map. I have a 60Mbps broadband so this upgrade took only 30 minutes including installing the map on my computer so that I can use it with other Garmin devices such as my Forerunner 205. Some of the Voice Control features are not available in the UK but all the important ones are. In order to upgrade the USB cable has to be plugged directly into the SatNav rather than via the mount.

Note that to receive traffic information you do have to have the 12V power plug connected and the power lead in place. Digital traffic information is updated twice each minute and you can select whether to change your route or sit out a delay. If you use Auto then the SatNav will calculate an alternative route for you.

I bought this at a substantial discount as Used because Amazon were out-of-stock at the time. I ordered on Monday and received the SatNav on Tuesday. I recommend this Amazon Market Place Seller 'pmw2012' for good value and fast delivery.

Finally ... I used to buy TomTom but I have had too many bad experiences with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Useful, 10 July 2014
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I got this after having a TomTom for years. The TomToms now have such dodgy reviews that I decided this was worth a try, and I'm glad that I got it. I've used it a few times in the UK with no issues and am just back from 2 weeks in the US, where it was absolutely invaluable.

For that I bought Garmin City Navigator North America NT Mapping on Micro SD Data Card and programmed my trip in advance. I was amazed at how much information was on the card. All my hotels, petrol stations, shopping centres etc, all of which was really useful. Even adding something to an existing trip was easy.

I found the ETA quite accurate in the US, certainly not enough out to have to change expectations. I also liked seeing how many miles were left. In Las Vegas, the unit started showing detailed lane routes in a split screen mode, which was useful too. The voice instructions were mostly useful too, giving adequate warning for turns.

The only minor quibble I have is that it doesn't seem to tell you the name of any town or village you enter, so quite often we'd be somewhere small but have no idea what the name of the place was.

I liked this a lot and will always take it with me on any driving holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it! absolutely knocks the socks off tom tom, 22 Nov 2013
This is a review from a faithful tom tom owner, who has been blown away by garmin 3598! Tom tom, you have seen the last of me as I am now a BIG Garmin fan!

I have had this Garmin nuvi 3598 for a few days now and been testing it. some slight issues initially because it wasn't reading out the street names but when I downloaded the latest updates it gave me the extra voice which reads those names. screen is clear, love the magnetic mount and super sleek design. It really puts the very basic TomTom 6000 in the shade.
full of useful functions including the voice command. It works better than expected.

Just the odd blip here and there with regards to routes - on fastest route it doesn't always take the best roads in my opinion. Its obviously based its assumptions on speed limits on routes rather than local knowledge. For example, it wanted me to go a longer way around to get to my house when I would normally know of a short cut (down a B road). It took me down the "A" road route as its a 50MPH zone but would not have been faster due to traffic.

Despite that minor point, I am very pleased I have switched to garmin (even though they are a tad expensive), because I think the added free digital traffic, map updates and speed cameras is a very good offer. I got a free accessory kit too with mine so that helped with the expense. The new tom tom is bulky and very basic and really cannot be fairly compared to this more superior Garmin 3598. Its top of the range as I write this review and I believe it to be the best on the market after researching tom toms, and others. Which magazine gave its predecessor a high recommendation, so I am sure this model will follow suit.

Even the digital traffic works without that silly little aerial which you are expected to fix to the windscreen! Magic! yes the signal increases ever so slightly if I do attach it, but for me, everything is working just perfect without having that wire stuck in front of me as I zoom along! LOL

Garmin, I take my hat off to you! It's a super unit..looks so cool in my car and basically I have ditched the Audi built in satnav (3 yr old) as my new garmin is far superior and easier/quicker to operate. I have had no update issues, everything works just fine so I would have no hesitation in recommending this garmin 3598 to anyone who wants to invest in an exceptional quality piece of kit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 30 April 2014
Derek Nykamp (Warwick, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After being a Garmin fan for more than 8 years this must be the biggest flop yet.
The power cable is so thick and cumbersome with the free traffic aerial that is makes is hardly portable between vehicles if using it as such. To get traffic without the aerial costs 15.08 per year so the FREE is a farce.
The traffic signal in the UK is unreliable and not consistent with the road conditions and reality.
The speed camera alerts are most annoying as they alert if if you are driving within the speed limit - another 15.08 per year - not worth a dime.
Since ordering my original 3598 it has had to be replaced twice - one for total failure and 2nd time because Garmin replaced it with a second hand 3597.
Garmin's UK service is disgraceful.
To get through to their help-desk you should expect an average wait or around 40 minutes and then the advice given is just about read off a script and they are very keen to replace the unit without even trying to remedy it.
I have now purchased a Tom Tom 1005 with real live traffic, free lifetime maps and IQ routes and I am delighted with it.
Garmin - you have a long way to go to get to the level of my brand new Tom Tom
I have wasted much time and money which I will never be able to recover - I am a professional driver and rely heavily on decent satnav technology.
Hope this helps