4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the upgrade
It seems Amazon are lumping together reviews of several different Garmin models - this review relates to the Nuvi 2598LMT-D EU.

Published 5 months ago by Marand

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd have stuck with a TomTom
Published 6 months ago by Much Mistaken

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the upgrade, 23 Aug. 2014
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2598LMT-D 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Digital Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)

We decided to buy a new sat nav largely because it was going to cost a fair bit to update the maps which made this model, with its lifetime updates and useful features which weren't available when we bought our last sat nav (also a Garmin) five or six years back, an attractive proposition. We also wanted to have all the European maps on the device and not have to fiddle around adding and removing maps because of capacity issues. We didn't buy it from Amazon because it was cheaper at a well-known car accessory supplier.

Set up was quite simple although downloading map updates took an age but this is more to do with our appallingly slow broadband connection than with Garmin. We tested it out on a few UK journeys that we are very familiar with to ensure it was working satisfactorily before we headed off to Europe on holiday. I have to say it is much better than our old satnav (which was a highly recommended one at the time of purchase). Routing was quick and delivered the appropriate route. We were delighted to find that if you divert from the route there was a much quicker re-calculation than the old machine, and without the 're-calculating, recalculating' chant that used to drive us mad. We also noticed how much better directions were - useful stuff like 'turn left at the traffic lights'. There is also a distinct improvement in instructions compared to our old model which seemed to notify turns far too early sometimes leading us astray and invoking the 're-calculating, re-calculating' chant. The lane direction split screen is also very useful - it doesn't appear for every junction (and frankly isn't needed most of the time) but it made life a lot easier going into Paris. The screen is very clear and immediately reacts to changes such as entering tunnels when it switches to a style more suited for night-viewing. It was also useful to know on the motorway where the next fuel services or roadworks were coming up so we could plan ahead.

The only problem we had was with the directions to a supermarket in Beaune chosen from the menu - we got there but to the delivery bay and had to re-trace our journey round the block to the customer entrance. On another occasion the map was out of date but in fairness the road had only just opened so I imagine that the next update will take care of that.

The one really irritating factor on this one was the English speaking woman (the default on our machine). To put it mildly she struggled with pronunciation in French. Initially this was very amusing (an Avenue Neuchatel was pronounced 'avu neighchaaartel' - it took several attempts for us to work out what she was saying and it only became clear when I noticed the road name on a wall!). After a while the joke wore thin and we chose to have instructions read out in French - I can confidently give directions in French now having listened to this for three weeks!

From our point of view, aside from a couple of minor niggles, we think the upgrade to the new model was worth it, providing lots of useful features, a better screen and faster directions as well as lifetime map & travel updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 2 Aug. 2014
Much improved over my 5 year old Tom Tom as you might expect. the interface is especially good and the screen crystal clear. Large screen means easy to see from both driver and passenger perspectives, very important as my wife argues with the woman in the satnav about directions.
This unit exceeded my expectation and I recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd have stuck with a TomTom, 1 July 2014
I had previously used a TomTom Sat Nav but decided to go for the Garmin based on various reviews. Wish I'd have ignored them as the functionality of the Garmin is nowwhere near as good as the TomTom. The basic navigation may be fine once it is actually working on a route but setting up for destinations, finding various points of interest and general configuration is convoluted and lacks any sensible processes.
The online software for additional features and maintenance is poor and again does not come anywhere near TomTom for overall functions, features and ease of use. The first time I tried carrying out an update it trashed the voice command system and I had to get their support to send a fix. The Garmin Express and Basecamp applications have also caused problems with my computer (running Win8.1) and I've twice had to uninstall them and re-install.

Overall the only reason it gets two stars is that when actually in use in the car and having all been set up it does then function as a reasonable sat nav for the route chosen, providing i do not wish to make any modifications to my chosen destination. Very disappointed with my purchase :-(

3.0 out of 5 stars Some problems explained here., 11 Jan. 2014
Mr. N. Bonsor - See all my reviews
Have just completed a 1500 mile journey across Europe having just acquired it .The problems I encountered were.
1) In planning the trip I tried to download Garmin Basecamp to my computer but this failed repeatedly.
2) Voice-over commands were frequently incomprehensible. In France she neither spoke with a French accent nor an anglicised phonetic rendering she just got the names wrong. This did not matter too much because :
3)She gave the street names you were turning into . Not very useful because you usually do not know the name of the street anyway so it does not provide a check. It would have been better to give the direction stated on signpost..
4)S lightly unreliable on roundabouts. Method was to tell you to take a numbered turn off eg 'take the third turning off' but would fail to include one of the minor turnings. Great care was needed
5) Once directed to a dead end. On the other hand once directed on rutted track through graveyard which was just fine!
6) Trip -planner quite hard to use because you could not enter where you want the journey to end only intermediate points. What you have to do is go to 'Edit journey' then 'optimise route' then 'Done' then 'Save journey'. Odd glitch as it is such an obvious one.
7) You have to provide an address for the place you are going to. You must enter one of the addresses provided and it might be some way from where you want to go. Perhaps this is the most annoying thing about the device.
By and large an excellent device and I would recommend it. Don't bother with the travel pack if you are offered it.It comes with a case which does not fit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pronunciation of some english place names is wrong and the mangled versions of french road and place names is poor. Having a sel, 17 Sept. 2014
Performs well and is an improvement over our old Garmin satnav - faster to load and recalculate with clearer lane guidance. Free lifetime map and traffic updates are well worth having. Pronunciation of some english place names is wrong and the mangled versions of french road and place names is poor. Having a selection of routes is good but it doesn't always include the best one eg approaching Cherbourg it wanted us to go through the town rather than follow the signed dual carriageway to the ferry terminal. A further limitation is the need to enter an address in your destination town when what you really want is a selection of car parks.

4.0 out of 5 stars garmin for mee, 30 Dec. 2014
bought as special black friday purchase. Voice on it is a little tinney at times.
have only used it relatively locally but hopefully will use the european mapping sometime later in the year.
very poor written instructions with device, the assumption like everything now you have used one before, I have had garmins previously and I find them easy to set up, and use than the others I looked at, when i purchased my first one. The photo junction option is handy, at first thought a bit of a waste but it is handy on motorways to reinforce the junction you are coming off at if you are unfamiliar with the location
Bluetooth option useful for pairing with mobile phones, personally I would not buy a sat nav without this option, even though my phone has sat nav on it the garmin is easier to read and follow, and it does not use shed loads of gb and is cheaper to run.
I bought the largest micro sd card I could find to increase the memory capacity, which is handy with the potential upgrades and memory capacity required. All sat navs have their faults and will not please everyone, I am happy with garmins, and I would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent satnav., 4 Jan. 2015
Excellent Satnav, cannot rate it high enough enough. Decided to fork out the money for full EU maps, digital traffic and lifetime map updates and haven't looked back. I normally use Google navigation in the UK, however needed something for my road trips round Europe and this is excellent, works perfectly in built up and rural areas. The estimated time is great, and it is very quick at picking up traffic and providing alternative routes. Map updates are quick and easy.

The only thing this version is lacking is a pin code on start up, so I have to make sure I use a post code that isn't my actual address when travelling home in case the satnav and car gets stolen.

On return from my trips I have been able to download all the breadcrumb data and upload to Google earth to see where I've been easily, and it will auto save to the SD card if you have one installed.

I personally think Google navigation is better (but it does lack a speedo), but when you don't have any phone signal, or are travelling abroad and don't want to have an expensive phone bill this is on par.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational!, 3 Aug. 2014
I bought this to replace a Garmin Nuvi 360 that I'd owned for about 6 years. By comparing the devices, you can see how far Garmin have come in that time. Finding satellites seems to be almost instant, digital traffic is excellent and appears to be very reliable. I drove from Surrey to the French Alps after buying this and the fact that it displays the current speed limit in MPH in Europe was a real plus for staying legal when not driving on motorways. The junction visualisations for motorways is also impressive and was again very useful on unfamiliar roads in Europe. The Up ahead function makes it a lot easier to find, restaurants and fuel en route. I thought the 5 inch display might be a bit too big, but actually seemed about right. Very impressed with this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Ello, 'Ello, 'ello, 20 Aug. 2014
Excellent, well made product. Done 800 miles in France without it putting a foot wrong.

Only 4 stars as the pronunciation of French road names and towns is totally and utterly comical. The cast of 'ello 'ello could done a better job!!

But ultimately, pronunciation apart, it works and updated fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product, 3 July 2014
Never had a sat nav before so did a lot of research re. Which reports and existing owners on Amazon website. Mapping, clarity of screen and verbal instructions are excellent. This model has the right amount of features for me. I did consider the more expensive Garmin models but the extra features are things I do not need so this model is perfect for me. The first devise I received stopped functioning after 5 weeks. No Problem ! I phoned Amazon at 6 p.m. on a Sunday evening and the replacement was delivered 11 a.m. Tuesday. Superb service ! The friction stand for the sat nav. is indispensible as it holds the devise firm and I can twist or turn it exactly the way I want it. I am absolutely delighted with my purchases and the service I have received.