5.0 out of 5 stars recipe ideas!
Bought this item as a wedding anniversary gift for my hubby and I. I use it everyday and it is very useful and for me, it is not an item that you buy but do not use. I occasionally use it for roast potatoes and frozen chips. Works wonderfully.
Published 2 months ago by S.K-Y

Mmmm.... there was a horrible smell that emanated from this fryer and it wasn't a cooking smell. It has taken three or four attempts to use it before this smell has receded. The food cooked in it is Ok but the smell did seem to taint the food. Not sure I would recommend it to anyone.
Published 19 days ago by Peter Gould

5.0 out of 5 stars recipe ideas!, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey (Kitchen & Home)
I also use it alot for meat and chicken. And have attached a pic of the roasted/grilled chicken I made with roast potatoes. I also use it for lamb where I boil the meat first as I like my meat well done, and then "grill" it/ brown off the meat in the actifry with some salt and lemon juice - tastes lovely! I don't add much oil and let the lamb release it's own juices and fat instead.
Additionally instead of cleaning out the lamb fat left you can just roast some potatoes in it too for extra flavour instead.

Cleaning is very easy and I cook a whole baby chicken in it without any issues and I cook the chicken with the skin on to prevent the top layer from drying out!

Hope this helps someone out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars A dieters dream come true, 8 Oct. 2013
Grumpy old b'stard "Meh" (what the hell do you want to know where I live for? wierdo) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey (Kitchen & Home)
Around 18 weeks ago I started a health kick, I'd ballooned to 21St 4 which at 5' 9" is way way too much, to the point of being desperately unhealthy to be honest, it's been going well, 50lbs in 18 weeks which I'm quite pleased with. I haven't resorted to any of the barmy fad diets or going to a slimming club to pay money to have someone tell me I'm a fat knacker - I'd worked that one out all by myself, I went down a strictly calorie controlled regime and had cut out chips altogether on the basis that to keep calories under control the amount I could have wasn't worth bothering with.

A colleague suggested the Actifry and pointed out that slimming world considered them a freebie because of the lack of calories and oil, hmmm sounded interesting, so as the person was a good friend and someone who's opinion I trusted I bought one and gave it a go. To say I was pleased would be something of an understatement, I was expecting the chips to be passable at best but they are absolutely fantastic, if you take the time to dry them properly they go nice and crispy on the outside (and they brown up nicely too) and stay soft on the inside.

At this point I must point out that at the same time as buying the Actifry I also purchased a chip cutter http://tiny.cc/rq1l4w from Amazon and that helps because they're all the same thickness and cook more evenly so I'd say go for one of those at the same time - they don't cost much and do the job nicely and you get the choice of what look like (I haven't measured) 5 or 10mm thick chips.

EDIT 15th October - er sorry to mislead - DONT buy the chipper it broke both cutters within the first month and made me very angry.

PROS....

Healthy chips!! a whole kilo equates to 880 calories including oil and that is more than enough for 2 or if you're feeling oinky a right old plate full - of what is basically diet food!
Easy to use, make chips. throw in, add oil, wait 35-40 minutes and that's it, you don't need any skill or cooking ability to make fabby chips
Very easy to clean, there is so little oil involved that all you really need is a quick wipe with kitchen towel, I only take the pan, rotating paddle and lid off every other time
I can still stick to a calorie controlled diet with a 2lb a week loss goal whilst hogging out on chips, it feels like there's some magic going on

CONS....

Noise, it makes around as much noise as a hair dryer so not the quietest kitchen appliance ever but I can forgive that
Timer, as others have said, the timer has 2 problems, one it's nowhere near loud enough to hear from another room and to be honest sitting watching potatoes go brown over 40 minutes is not exactly my idea of spell binding entertainment but the bigger issue is that it doesn't turn off the machine, it just beeps (quietly) and does nothing else, Tefal are obviously aware of that or are reading feedback as I see that the larger 1.5kg version does stop the machine so with this being relatively new it's disappointing that it doesn't do the same.

OVERALL...

Chips are back on the menu and I can forgive a lot of niggles for that alone, so solid five stars and a massive thumbs up recommendation from me.

Oh yeah, you also get a very basic cookbook with it that shows that apparently you can cook other stuff too but as yet I'm content to stick to chips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good home cooked chips, 29 Aug. 2013
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An Actifry cooks more than just chips or potato based products but, if I am perfectly honest, that's the thing I cook the most in mine as it is so easy to use. There is no temperature dial to be concerned about and food is constantly turned by a paddle so there is no need to turn over partway through cooking. It is a bulky appliance although no more so than most deep fat fryers and you avoid the need to store part used oil to boot.

In terms of home cooked chips, I find Maris Piper potatoes work very well - those produce a fluffier chip. I peel the potatoes and then allow them to drain before removing as much water as possible using kitchen paper. I then pop the chips into the Actifry for about 30 seconds without any oil just to make sure they are fully dry before adding olive oil. Olive oil left over from jars of tomatoes adds a little bit of extra flavour. I open the lid after around ten to fifteen minutes cooking time has elapsed as that allows steam to escape and reduces any potential for sogginess and I then leave it alone to finish cooking. After around 35-40 minutes total cooking time the chips are ready and worth the wait.

The rotating paddle will pulverise delicate items like scampi but you don't have to use it and, as long as you remember to manually turn the pan contents, even bread crumbed items cook well.

Everything except the base can be put in the dishwasher but it is a bulky appliance and very easy to wash by hand - particularly if you maintain a regime of washing after every use (which takes only a few minutes and helps to keep everything stain free). It's a lot easier to keep clean than a deep fat fryer as the low oil use means there isn't very much of a build up to remove. The inside of the fryer needs an occasional wipe over, with particular attention paid to the area by the vents at the rear where the lid attaches to the body as I have found greasy deposits there from time to time.

I had one of the first incarnations of an Actifry and loved the freedom it gave me to cook fresh chips (and wedges) without the need to use a deep fat fryer. The design has evolved over the years with modifications made to most of the visible components making them more durable and/or easy to use; this version has a removable rim added to the pan to prevent contents working their way over the rim and an appealing black, grey (with a touch of lime) colour scheme.

I love the home cooked chips it produces although it took me a few attempts to work out the best method. But if you do succumb to the desire to cut back on preparation by cooking oven chips, it does those really well as well. You don't need to add extra oil but I find for a really crispy finish, a small amount makes all of the difference!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crispy, healthy chips, no mess - what's not to like!, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey (Kitchen & Home)
First, I didn't buy my actifry from Amazon because it was the same price on Currys and I could pick it up and have it immediately. However, wanted to review this product as it is just so good. We used it for the first time last week and were so impressed. Followed instructions and dried the chips completely. I found another reviewer who said to put the chips in the actifry with no oil for 30 seconds to dry out completely. We found this worked well. We did enough chips for 2 people and put them on for 42 minutes using olive oil. 42 minutes was slightly too long and next time we will do the same for 35 minutes. The chips were gorgeous - can't believe they tasted so lovely with only 1 tablespoon of oil! Nice and crispy and fluffy on the inside.

I loved the fact that there is no mess - no steam, no build-up of fat. You can see through the window on the lid perfectly so can keep an eye on the chips. Personally I'm not going to wash the removable parts in the dishwasher - I think that is asking for things to break down - however the lid, bowl and stirring paddle come off so easily and I will hand wash them. So easy to clean after each and every use.

Love this and 100% recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars How easy to cook with, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey (Kitchen & Home)
How easy to cook with. Just pop the food in, set the timer and walk away. Also this one easily cooks for a family of 4. Easy to wash. Why haven't you already got one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing healthy chips but not much else, 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey (Kitchen & Home)
Chips are back on the menu in this house. The actifry's speciality is of course chips and it does them very well. If you want nice and crispy chips then make sure to rinse and dry your spuds after you cut them and before you chuck them in. Unfortunately, there's not too much else I find you can do in the actifry. Mine came with a little recipe book and I tried cooking some chicken in homemade batter but the lack of a temperature control really makes it impractical for getting too adventurous. There is one exception to this rule:

PLEASE - Cook sausages in your actifry! Seriously, they will taste amazing and you can just throw them in with the chips and leave it.

As for the design and functionality? The handle on the front lifts up and allows you to remove the pan from the actifry which is handy when it comes to dishing up your tasty chips. Both the pan and the paddle (it keeps moving during cooking to keep things cooking consistently) are dishwasher safe and come apart quite easy.

For such an expensive device, build quality doesn't seem too great. I've only had mine about 3 months and so far so good, but the flex on the handle and the overall plasticness of the device makes me wonder how it will stand the test of time. My negatives on this device would be build quality, lack of a temperature control, its quite noisy and of course that hefty price tag.

On the plus side though the only thing better than delicious homemade chips are delicious homemade chips that are so healthy you can eat them on a regular basis and not feel guilty about it. It's not exactly low-wattage but it does use less electricity than a standard oven and its easy to keep clean instead of turning into a greasy eyesore in your kitchen.

Is it expensive? Hell yes, but if you love your chips and hate the calories that come with them, then it might be an investment that your hungry self will one day thank you for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant.. Trying so many recipies and all turn ..., 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey (Kitchen & Home)
Absolutely brilliant..Trying so many recipies and all turn out just right.
Easy to clean, even for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey (Kitchen & Home)
Great for doing wedges/chips - haven't done half of the things with it you can do but def worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 25 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey (Kitchen & Home)
I've wanted one of these for ages. It's simple to use and much healthier than a conventional fryer. It is larger than most fryers so you need to bare that in mind for storage but the extra space taken up is worth it. I rarely eat chips but have increased the amount of times I've eaten them since purchasing this.

3.0 out of 5 stars there was a horrible smell that emanated from this fryer and it wasn't ..., 10 Mar. 2015

Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey