4.0 out of 5 stars Superb motherboard, but with issues.
I liked this Asus product because of the excellent YouTube videos about this board, plus the ability to automatically overclock the system.
Published 12 months ago by Southcoaster

2.0 out of 5 stars it let me down
had pci 16 x 3.0 express problem they did'nt work at all and sound let me down . but other than that it is a supe motherboard i was just unlucky it is good i would recommend . .
Published 7 months ago by rowan wynne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb motherboard, but with issues., 29 July 2013
This review is from: Asus Z87-PRO USB 3.0 Motherboard (4x DDR3, ATX, 2x PCI Express 3.0/2.0, Intel, Wi-Fi ) (Accessory)
The build quality is really excellent, so why not 5 stars? This is because the Asus box and anti-static bag were not security sealed in any way. So how did I know if this was simply a return from somebody else? Anyway I decided to take the risk and the board has performed perfectly so far.
I like that the board has an on-board graphics facility, so I can build my system and install the OP, then purchase a proper graphics card later. Also having VGA and PS/2 connectors allowed me to temporarily connect an old monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Another reason for not giving 5 stars is that some of the much heralded features did not work straight out of the box, such as flashback to upgrade the BIOS. I had to upgrade the BIOS from the software built into the BIOS.
Be warned the board does have problems with the Noctua NH-U14S CPU fan assembly, (see my write-up on the NH-U14S).

I appreciate normally one doesn't leave delivery comments here, but for those who are interested:
I ordered this item with 1st class delivery (3 working days), but there was a problem between the courier company and Amazon. I understand that the courier picks up a large consignment from Amazon, and only when they get it back to the courier's premises do the individual items get tracked into their system.
So in my case, Amazon said it was `dispatched', and the courier company said they never received it. Clearly a feeling of piggy-in-the-middle here!
With some pressure from me, I was allowed to order the item again with express delivery, and Amazon refunded the cost of the original item plus the express delivery charge.
Well done Amazon, but perhaps the system shouldn't have allowed it to happen in the first place!

Edit:
Some programs which make use of the GPU would not work, so in the end I had to purchase a graphics card sooner than later.

Edit2:
The ASUS AI Suite 3 overclocking software keeps crashing on my system. A common problem according to the Internet. So I haven't been able to try any overclocking yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant motherboard with all I can use on it., 28 Jan 2014
Leon Crawley (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have just used this to build a system based on an Intel i7 4770k with 16GB ram, a 2TB SSD/Mechanical hybrid boot drive,and a 3TB work drive. I am delighted with the performance of this motherboard with this system. It was a delight to install, there were so many things on the board designed to make life easier for the system builder. The top of the list was the small connector to plug all the 'system panel' connectors onto. Brilliant, why can't all boards come with this? It is always a bit of a pain putting these on a board once it is in a case. This way all the cables for the connectors can hang out of the case in the light where you can read their polarity etc, the plug them on the connector, in the light, then plug the whole thing in one simple fixing to the motherboard ...

I won't list all that is on the board, I am sure you have read that. But for an up-to-date MB (as at Jan 2014) this has got to be amongst the best for a home build. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to setup, 15 Jan 2014
I have had no problems installing this in my Corsair Carbide 500R series case and the bios is very simple to navigate. I have had no problems since i have bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working great with Core i7 4770, 22 Nov 2013
NabMo (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Giving me very stable and solid performance when paired with Core i7 4770 and HyperX Gensis RAM. Windows 8.1 picks up almost all of the drivers on fresh install so you'll have Wifi, LAN and video working out of the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great board but some new tech issues, 1 Dec 2013
Generally very impressed with the abundance of features on this board. plenty of connectivity and a good layout.
Second to none fan control, you are able to define the location of fans in your box and control their speed absolutely with a scalable graph. You can also simply press 'tune' and the board will optimise the settings for you.

Be aware that there are very few USB2 ports, this is mainly geared up to USB3. I've gotten around this by using a USB hub so its no big issue for me.

I've had an awful lot of trouble with some USB devices, especially webcams. Various patches are being released by ASUS however and these are correcting the issues.

I would strongly recommend finding an update for the USB fast charge, as this gave me the most trouble. You will need Ai_charger update pack V1.00.01 at least. This took me a long time to figure out that it was the problem!

Last thing is that the onboard Bluetooth is pretty terrible. It's bluetooth V4 Atheros so I can only assume future updates should improve this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight forward enough, 20 Sep 2013
Built a PC for the first time in many years and happy to report back that not much have changed on that front. The motherboard was easy to work with, the key components are spaced out in a nice manner so connecting it all was straight forward. Only negative piece is maybe the price and the somewhat difficulty trying to read the manual with regards to what connections to use for some of the built in connectors for physical start/reset buttons etc. But a couple of web searches sorted that out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, works brilliantly, 24 Oct 2013
This is actually the smoothest experience I've had installing a motherboard. I must say I was very very pleased with the step by step instructions which walk you through installing everything, even the motherboard itself has a lot of useful labels on it to indicate what different things do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money, 7 April 2014
All good so far, overclocks without any problems. My only concern is that don't install the AI suite without having a good read first. You could quite easily end up in a mess, iof you don't do this first.

5.0 out of 5 stars good product for the features it has, 22 Mar 2014
a good product that comes with good assembly instructions which was most useful as it was my first attempt at building a computer! And it came with all the cables you should need to put a computer together,has all the feature i required without spending the extra for other motherboards! very happy with it and will take any future upgrades!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 1 Mar 2014
Great MOBO, has plenty of connections for everything you will ever need. Extremely good build quality. The bundled software is fantastic too. I would definitely recommend this product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›