on 14 June 2013
Having read "The Stone Man" I couldn't wait to read this by the same author. Started off pretty good and the twist of what the old man's secret was was amazing!! I just felt more could have been done with the sotry. Also, it kind of ended abruptly and left me thinking "Oh, is that the end??"
I want to read Luke's other books though as I did really enjoy "The Stone Man". Next I'm intending to read "The Black Room" trilogy.
on 14 January 2016
This was the first story I read by this author and it left me with a sick feeling in my stomach, just wondering, "What if..." The queasy feeling came from knowing that if it was a true story (which it hopefully isn't), there would be absolutely nothing I could do about it.

It's like people who are afraid of flying and would rather drive, even though there is a much greater chance of death while driving. People don't like the sense of not being in control that flying brings and that is exactly what this story makes you think about--not really being in control of your life.

The story itself is very eerie and and disturbing. As mentioned above, it makes you think about fate and destiny and who or what is really in control of our lives. You feel for The Man on Table Ten and what he has lived through, but you also worry about him--a lot.

The waitress in the story is really a stand-in for the reader. She learns the story as we learn it and my emotions were pretty much the same as hers as she listened to the man. "Is this man crazy?" "Is he telling the truth?" "Do I really want to know?"

Highly recommended.
on 27 January 2016
If you're a fan of curious tales then yet again Luke Smitherd makes a story with a seemingly simple plot and few actual scenes to try to visualize, ridiculously compelling.
So you get to the end and are once again left questioning -wondering what will happen next, and thinking about the characters and their lives after the book. Then you know he's done it again and got you hooked!
Read it...read it immediately!!
on 1 June 2013
Another crazy and unusual story, with very memorable characters. It takes a while to get started....just like TPOTD (another brilliant book by the way), but once it gets going, boy, it gets good, then throw in a 'what if' scenario that I won't spoil, that leaves you thinking. What more can you ask for? You have definitely got to read this and it so worthy of your time (especially now the sun is out!) Thank you Mr S.
on 7 July 2013
This one was a surprise. just as i was getting excited about Part 3 of Luke's latest blockbuster out pops this little gem. Read it in about 1 hour as i couldn't put it down. This guy is getting better and better each time he puts pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard)
Whats next i wonder, can this weird mind of his keep them coming? I sincerely hope so as Luke is now firmly fixed as one of my top 5 authors.
on 26 May 2013
I was super super excited to read this and I definitely was not let down. What I loved about this was I was having the exact same reactions as Lisa all through the book. As usual Luke has captured human emotions and nuances perfectly, completely drawing me into the story and leaving me thinking 'what if...' for a long time after finishing. Loved it. More please.
on 22 June 2013
Read this a few weeks ago, but have been really busy, so here is the review now. Spot On! Loved it! Another original imaginative plot, and the story moved at a good pace, and although another reviewer said he wasn't a hundred percent happy with the ending, I thought it was a cracker, nice one Luke, keep up the good work.
on 20 July 2013
I struggled with this book a little, it does not flow as well as the other books by this author, ( sorry Luke ) but the ending is good and makes you think . My only question is, why does the old man give a damn about what happens to the world after he dies ? I don`t think I would care if I were in his position....
on 4 March 2016
Audible reviews are formatted in a way that would likely completely shaft new readers of this book from plot spoilers. In an attempt to ensure I don't do the same I will simply say a great read - done in one session. Not sure if I'd prefer to say creepy or chilling, but I would stand by original and superb
on 8 November 2015
Do yourself a favour and read this author. I love the flavour of his work, the familiar, homely british foundation twisted by the out of phase feeling of the surreal. I have spent the year in & out of hospital with looong periods of recovery - Luke Smitherds' writing took me elsewhere and not only made me forget cancer treatment, but involved me in realities that were immersive as well as transporting.... I chew through books like cerial, but his standout, and for the first time in too long I have grieved because a story has come to an end. I have read everybook that I have been able to get hold of that he has written and there is no sign of formula, each and everyone is unique. I am looking forward to the next creations - I am waiting for them. Apart from being tallented, social media enables you to support a really cool guy & I wish him every success! Thank you Luke Smitherd!