5.0 out of 5 stars What if it was you?
I cannot understand how Mr Smitherd manages to make a conversation between two people in a cafe carry so much depth in such a short story. The characters are well written and the story is compelling, rising to a crescendo in the final pages. I am a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft and the growing sense of dread from a simple conversation reminded me a lot of his writing...
Published 17 months ago by A. C. Rigby

3.0 out of 5 stars Stopped a bit short....
Having read "The Stone Man" I couldn't wait to read this by the same author. Started off pretty good and the twist of what the old man's secret was was amazing!! I just felt more could have been done with the sotry. Also, it kind of ended abruptly and left me thinking "Oh, is that the end??"
I want to read Luke's other books though as I did really...
Published 23 months ago by Benno

5.0 out of 5 stars What if it was you?, 12 Dec. 2013
A. C. Rigby - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man On Table Ten - A Mysterious Science Fiction Tale (Kindle Edition)

I will advise people that the story only takes about half of the download; the rest is a preview of a following book.

I'm now reading 'The Black Room' and can't put it down either...

4.0 out of 5 stars bunny loves books, 29 Dec. 2013
Ok, this is the first story I've read on a kindle & by this author. It has left me disappointed because I wanted to read on! I REALLY enjoyed it and wanted to know more. I couldn't really identify with the old man as I didn't find him likeable but perhaps that's the point? I did like Lisa though. It has made me wonder how I would react if such things were possible.I would recommend this book as a quick read & do want to know what happens next! Keep writing!
I have already downloaded The Black Room which will be my next LS read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 12 Dec. 2013
Another unique offering from Luke Smitherd. This is my third book by the author and another great read. I have enjoyed his books so much that I am now committed to read every one he publishes from now on. The only other author I unquestioningly read is Stephen King.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully crafted novella, 1 Jun. 2013
What a fantastic novella. Brought this today and enjoyed it thoroughly. When you read this story you will understand that The 'blue eyes' gives a wonderful mental image. It was a pleasure to read a story that flows and systematically leads you on the 'old mans tale' with great explanation and witty writing. I'm still not sure why yet but this is my favourite read of the year so far. Luke Smitherd has just cemented his place of being my favourite up and coming writer. I give this novella 5 stars but I still believe this man can get better with every new release. That's how good he is!

5.0 out of 5 stars delve into the true fears we all keep inside us...., 22 July 2014
Hi please buy this book and support such a wonderful author. By the by this is the FIRST review I have ever written despite being a complete consumer of books of every genre so believe me when I say it's worth it! The ability to draw you into a conversation as if you are there is outstanding and the realism (especially given the "out there" nature of the subject matter?) demonstrates just how talented this up and coming author really is.
All I would ask is that he keeps on writing and continues to astound us with his ability to verbalise the psychological, sociological and philosophical nature of the human psyche.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooked by the end, 10 Sept. 2014
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Okay, it's been nearly a few months since I last read a book from Luke, and I've finally got round to finishing off the collection. I'm not afraid to admit that this one is my least favourite. At only 60ish pages long, this starts very slowly in my opinion, and only really gets going towards the end.

The story itself is a good one, the idea is great, and the writing has the usual Smitherd style to it - but the first half of this book I really struggled to get through.

Then all of a sudden I found I was hooked. This is not the first time Luke's writing has had this effect, and to be honest I was hoping this would be true here. It took me just over an hour to read this to the end, and I have to say I really actually liked it, and as such would have to recommend it.

IF you've read anything else by Luke, you'll be reading this no matter what I say - so why even bother reading my review?

If however you have only just stumbled across this page by accident, and have no idea who Luke Smitherd is or where Coventry is, I would wholeheartedly suggest you start elsewhere. Here for example: The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller. Or here: The Physics Of The Dead - A Supernatural Mystery Novel to pick two of my favourites.

I'm off now to sit in a corner, rocking by myself until someone tells me there's a new book out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent but different book, 11 Feb. 2014
Hi now officially sounding like a fan boy but this is fantastic writing. a short story that builds with perfect rhythm. Off to read the last (so far) of Luke's work TPOTD. Can't get enough

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, please!, 4 Feb. 2014
David Plank (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I have no idea how this man manages to come up with so many weird and wonderful plots and stories, but I really hope that he continues to do so. I am now up to date with Luke's back catalogue, and have enjoyed them all.Luke makes his characters very real and believable, and writes in a very down-to-earth way that is easy to read, but also has depth. This story is a short one, but packs a lot of punch. I had kind of twigged what was going on fairly early on in the story (which may mean, worryingly, that I am on the same wavelength as Luke!), but the execution of the plot and the way that Luke keeps explanations to a minimum (leaving the reader to fill in the blanks and try to fit what is happening with their own experiences) keeps me coming back for more (if only there WAS more!). I will definitely keep an eye on Luke's writing, and hope that he keeps raising his bar and bringing us the very best of Weird Fiction (if that isn't a category, it bloody well should be!). Looking forward to the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Short n strange (in a good way), 22 Jan. 2014
Sue Phillips (Lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
Got to be careful what I say as I don't want to give any spoilers. The story could be interpreted in many ways and each reader will have a different theory about the story, that's one of the appealing things about the way Luke writes, he gets you thinking, keeps your attention and his characters come to life in a way that you feel you know them personally which makes you care about what happens to them
When you're enjoying a book you don't want it to end and this is a fairly short story but it leaves you satisfied and wondering what if....

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant "Tale of the Unexpected", 9 Dec. 2013
I'm now a card-carrying "Smithereen" having read all of Luke's work (all highly recommended too).
The Man On Table Ten reminds me of Roald Dahls' "Tales Of The Unexpected." It's just wonderful to read a book that has you thinking "What if?" for days after you've read it.
There's also a preview of The Black Room at the end of this book, which is a treat for those who haven't read Luke's other work yet (you're missing out!)
I really hope this writing lark works out for you Luke! You have a real talent and I can see your books on the big screen :-)