5.0 out of 5 stars Baby steps and gold stars
I know what you're thinking. 'I can't change my eating habits.' Hmm, right. 'This won't work for me.' Really? Are you sure about that? That's what I thought too. We all know that self-belief is key to making changes, but self-belief is hard to come by. And for those who want to lose weight, self-belief can be the one thing that stands in our way.

'How to Eat...
Published 21 months ago by Nicola McKenna

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice but misses the point for me
Published on 27 May 2013 by S. Capes

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby steps and gold stars, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: How To Eat Loads And Stay Slim: Your diet-free guide to losing weight without feeling hungry! (How To Do Everything And Be Happy) (Kindle Edition)

'How to Eat Loads and Stay Slim' really is different - it's not a diet book. This bears repeating. This is not a diet book. It doesn't promise the world, but it does promise change - a bit at a time (and let's face it, a 'bit' is all the change you or I are willing to make).

How does it happen? With a simple 'gold star' system. Read the chapter, make one or two (teeny) changes at the end, and gain a star. I personally found that this system not only engages my attention throughout the book, it keeps me highly involved in MY goal, thereby harnessing my commitment to making changes for ME. I feel invested in something that's important to me. And here's the good part - the changes are so small and easy, I hardly realise I've made that commitment.

It's simple and effective. No magic, no false promises, just sound advice from people who have been where you are. And, little by little, things start changing. I am losing my baby weight right now, and a nice side effect for me is a definite boost of self-belief (woot!).

The book is packed with real-life advice, delivered with honesty and humour. The tips really are easy to implement, and you don't have to follow every single tip to achieve your goal - believe me, I will cut a corner if I possibly can, so learning that I would be slim if I followed most of the advice most of the time was very welcome news.

Both Della and Peter give frank accounts of their attempts to lose weight in the past, and it is refreshing to learn that their methods are simple, the changes incremental, and most importantly, tried time and again to be successful. The book is full of common sense advice, with a small bit of science. I personally enjoyed the narrative, and learned so much.

So glad they wrote this book. Even more glad I'm reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The oil thing is working!, 24 Jan. 2014
Ms. S. Olivier "Simone Olivier" (Fordingbridge, England) - See all my reviews
Some useful tips! A lot of this book is about eating healthier food which I really struggle with. They have some great ideas on how to over come these, especially food that we eat consistently which sets our taste buds off. I like the thought of this . The thought of this challenge. The thought of using low fat food horrifies me as I'd rather die than not have butter!

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice but misses the point for me, 27 May 2013
S. Capes - See all my reviews
Like others, I have waited for this book with great anticipation for many months. It gives excellent advice on making the tweaks that can make food choices less fattening and more interesting and includes concepts that I've never heard of before (and I'm a lifelong on/off dieter who has had nutritional training too), such as the "fatometer". However, for me it is disappointing. I already eat very healthily at mealtimes, never calorie count these days, and try to take a balanced approach to the whole issue of food, but my problem, and that of many other overweight people, is that we don't eat because we are physically hungry. Physical hunger, I find, is actually very easy to ignore and if I'm busy, can work through it. What I can't ignore is 'mouth hunger' (emotional hunger) and when it hits it has to be appeased, usually by something that wouldn't pass the sensible choices analysis. Now Peter and Della both say that occasional indulgences are fine but no-one gets overweight by occasional lapses. If emotional hunger hits regularly then overeating happens regularly and all the sensible approaches and choices in the world won't stop the pounds piling on. Before dealing with what we eat, many of us need to deal with why we overeat and what to do about it and this book doesn't set out to address those issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 30 April 2014
A very interesting read!
The oil diet is a strange concept, but who knows
Until you've tried it!
Some good ideas and written in an interesting way!

5.0 out of 5 stars BECOME THAT DESIRED SLIMMER PERSON YOU WANT TO BE, 10 Mar. 2014
How to Eat Loads and Stay Slim will help you to become the desired slimmer person you want to be. There are many areas discussed including advice on entertaining, dining out, understanding hunger and how you think about food. With a little care and planning you won’t need to stop socialising! There are also interesting Sample Menus, a section that dispels myths about weight loss, advice on losing weight and the use of the ‘power of focus’ to regain that sylph like image you’re longing for. Besides this there are many tips including changing the way you think about food including making sure you have a fully stocked fruit bowl to help control those unexpected temptations.
If you are fed up with the endless restrictions that come with most weight loss diets that include counting calories and checking fat content then read this book and follow the tried and tested method of success without frustration!

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 23 Sept. 2013
This is an easy to read and understand book that makes dieting, or, rather, changing eating habits, sound more like fun than a chore. I like the way the two writers alternated their chapters.

I'm sure this book is one that will help a lot of people. It should be on everyone's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby steps to a healthier you, 12 Oct. 2014
I really appreciated this 'alternative to a diet' book. You don't have to read many diet books to see a certain pattern, but this is different - no quick fixes or silly promises, but the encouragement to make small steps to a different and sustainable way of healthy living.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 Oct. 2014
I quite liked this book and the fact that the author's don't always agree. I am having fun trying some of their tips and advice and look forward to seeing what happens. Thanks for sharing your knowledge I am very grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars great advice, 6 Sept. 2014
Really enjoyable read and very informative. Must get a hard copy to keep in my kitchen. Then I can achieve my stars !!! Thank you both xx

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - a waste of money., 15 April 2014
Although the book is written with humour, the constant contradictions between the two authors becomes quite irritating. There is a star system in place which is reminiscent of school days and quite patronising. If this is an incentive then a sheet of stars included at the back of the book would help! There is nothing new to be gleaned from the book, instead it is a hash of slimming world, weight-watchers no-count and Rosemary Conley. The recipes which have to be accessed online are from slimming world. There is quite a large section at the end of the book on the oil diet. Why? The book purports to be 'not a diet book'. I was bitterly disappointed and considered it a total waste of money.