5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Book in the series is better than the 1st.
Published 28 days ago by MrShev

3.0 out of 5 stars Nathan is back but not as good
This is the second book in the series and like many sequels it doesn't reach the highs of the first. Having said that, I am looking forward to the third one.

Like the previous book this one flits between present day and the past (in this case the Wild West). If you liked the first one then definitely read this.
Published 1 month ago by Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Book in the series is better than the 1st., 1 July 2015
MrShev "mrshev" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born of Hatred (The Hellequin Chronicles Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I REALLY don't like fantasy books. In fact, I pretty much hated Lord of the Rings and so it is a great surprise to find a series of books that I actually like...that are fantasy books. Every fantastical myth is here: Avalon, sorcerers, necromancers, werewolves, vampires - everything but the Loch Ness Monster and the Abominable Snowman. I won't summarize the story, but it effortlessly switches between a back story set in early 19th century United States and contemporary England. The reason I say effortlessly is that each story is good to read, one is not a plot pinata for the good of the other. They complement each other and create greater depth.

What's good: What makes these books strong is the characterisation which has gotten stronger. Nathan feels like a more rounded character with a few more foibles and some of the side characters have been written very strongly - especially the wolf pack leader, Mathew. McHugh hussles the plot along at a brisk pace, from one well described location to the next using exposition well to fill out the back story and introduce new characters. The large set pieces are well described and feel like proper, full-on battles.

What's not so good: I sometimes don't find the sex scenes a little gratuitous and sometimes incongruous to the plot - sometimes Nathan Garrett reads like a modern day Michael Knight, solving people's problems with his powers and sleeping with the girl every episode. I'm not sure I like it. Also, some of the descriptions are a little awkward and I found myself reading a few sentences that read along the lines of: '...I entered the room, that was painted white with a plasma screen on the wall, and put the red book on the oak table that had four legs.'

These minor niggles aside, I loved it and have already bought the third. They seem to be getting better so I am looking forward to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Urban Fantasy with style., 8 Sept. 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Hellequin Chronicles 2. Thank you to the author and publisher for the updated review copy.

So a little while ago, I was browsing some Kindle titles and having just finished a great Urban Fantasy story I came across "Crimes against Magic", the first of the Hellequin Chronicles. I decided to give it a go and I loved it. You can find my review for that one in my profile also.

I was very pleased therefore to receive the updated copy of Born of Hatred...and I dived in pretty much immediately and didnt really stop reading (well I DID pop out and get chips!) until I was done. Once again I was immersed into the world of Nathan Garrett and co and what a world it is.

This instalment finds Nathan investigating a string of crimes as a favour for a friend, that leads him to a killer like no other...Born of Hatred indeed. Nathan may not be as feared as he once was but you don't mess with him and his without consequences...As you learn more about Nathan through the intriguing use of flashback (as in Book 1) one wonders if it is really sensible to challenge him at all...

The reason I enjoy these so much I think is that they really are for adults...Steve Mchugh does not pull any punches and Nathan has a side to him that is less than pure - terrific fun to read and enthralling to imagine, the world he occupies bears a strong resemblance to our own but with a supernatural and magical underbelly. As with book 1 the supporting characters all add ambience to the tale, and there are plenty of new people to meet. More backstory means more grounding in the mythology of the series and as a sequel it works particularly well.

The plot is complex enough to keep your interest throughout - some twists and turns and once again Mr McHugh has used legends we are all aware of to flesh out the tale. Very enjoyable and I am looking forward to the next.

A quick comment - Comparisons to novels such as the Dresden Files and other Urban Fantasy tales are unavoidable for the author I imagine, but I would say that, as usual, I don't like to compare and contrast too much. However I think this bears saying: Dresden is terrific. As are Felix Castor and Alex Verus - Nathan Garrett is his own man with his own mythology. I can't put him in a box any more than I could the previously mentioned. I have enjoyed all on their own merits....and I will continue to do so. There is no "best" only what you enjoy. And you will enjoy this if you like Urban Fantasy, don't mind adult content and simply love a book adventure.

Happy Reading Folks!

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read., 8 Jan. 2013
Martin R. Read (U.K.) - See all my reviews
Not really a magic book reader but this was much better than most, actually quite hard to put down lots of blood and Gore , if this is your modern magical book then I will read more of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs more stars!, 20 Mar. 2013
Bless me, Father, for I have sinned - I have fallen madly in love with Hellequin.

Well, what's not to like? He's a massive hit with the ladies, he kicks serious bottom, annoy him and his arms light up, and he rides a Hayabusa. Yeah, okay, maybe the Hayabusa is a little annoying... ;)

I bought Born of Hatred while I was still halfway through book one, and I'd have bought book three (and be reading that instead of writing this) if only I could. Oh how I wish I could.

I'm utterly addicted. I love the whole set up - the LOA, the urban fantasy mix, the flashbacks, the magic, the mystery. It's fantastic.

Oh yes - I do have one quibble. Editing. 'Whom' is constantly misused, throughout both books. It would be annoying if the story wasn't so damned good. Other words seem to be homophones that will pass through a spell-checker, but any human eye should pick up on them straight away. As it is, it lets it down, because the writing otherwise is excellent. Little grammatical errors aside, the pace is excellent, the characters utterly convincing, and the story is brilliant. These silly mistakes take what is an otherwise first-class book and make it look rather amateurish.

I really really NEED book 3. And cut out the 'whom' so much, unless they're in the right place!

5.0 out of 5 stars Born of hatred, 6 April 2014
An excellent sequel. This is turning into a very good series, will be starting the next one shortly, hope it's as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like, 20 Jan. 2013
berenice (JARROW, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Kelly Armstrong, Kim Harrison, or Faith Hunter buy this book.
It flows, it is fast paced and thoroughly enjoyable.
Make a plan to read it in one go though . The second book in the series read book one first (equally good) as there is a little cross referral.
Thank you McHugh a good read more please..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series!!!, 20 April 2014
S. Dawson "sd" (england) - See all my reviews
Loved these books, want more, they are totally amazing would definitely recommend.Just the right mix of strong character and action/ fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 1 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to starting book 3. Have recommended it to family and friends

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding sequel to Crimes Against Magic, 2 Jan. 2014
This book was enticing and kept me hooked from the beginning. A well told and fascinating story with intricate and well thought out characters.

It's a page turner, love history, fantasy and suspense? Give this book a chance you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book two continues to excel, 22 Feb. 2013
I was lucky that i found this series just as book two was published so i could read them back to back.

Its becoming increasing difficult to find outstanding new authors to read. To often new series are derivative, aimed exclusively at the young adult market or focus so much on the romance that's its difficult to see any real plot what so ever.

Not so with this series. Steve McHugh raises well above the rest producing an exciting intense ride that pays off at every stage. This book takes place soon after book one (Crimes Against Magic) and continues to provide interesting details of the Hellequin world and its history (via a parallel and relevant story) through the eyes of the hero and one time assassin Nat Garrett. The best book i've read in a long time.

Can't wait for the next one!