5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Mayhem.
Published 23 months ago by Liz Wilkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work
Take a Sam Spade / Harry Dresden first person gumshoe vantage point and the twist the story around to have a James Bondian love of women, cars and guns, a Jason Bournian loss of memory of learning to kick ass (and why), a Bruce Leesque love of Kung Fu, a parallel story line in 15th Century France and a cast of mashed up characters from myth and legend.

The...
Published 22 months ago by MR

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Mayhem., 29 Mar. 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
During my quest to find any and all examples of good Urban Fantasy novels, started by my love of the Felix Castor stories, I have found many strange and wonderful worlds - That of Jack Nightingale, Constable Grant and Matthew Swift to name but a few. And now to my utter joy, here is Nathan "Nate" Garrett, who awoke in a warehouse ten years ago with no knowledge of who he is. His only clues - A gun, a Sword and a piece of paper with his name on it, along with a tendency to practice magic. And there is the backdrop for a magnificent tale of magic, mayem and general delightful madness. Set in two time periods, we slowly learn more about Nate, his true identity and what has brought him to where he is today. Using his skills as a thief, one particular job puts him on the path to this knowledge and also sets in motion a series of events that throw him right into the deep end of all things strange and magical. This was a great novel to read - I especially liked how the author has woven a mystical tale around his protagonist, taking on such great legends as Arthur and Merlin, Helen of Troy, amongst others. Nate as a character is both honourable and frightening in his actions, you will certainly root for him all the way, whilst at the same time feeling a vague need to give him a good talking too! The supporting cast of characters are all just as good - you will meet Vampires and Werewolves, Gargoyles and Psychics, all of whom add depth and heart to the tale. If you like Urban Fantasy you will love this. If you love Thrillers and Mystery but have not yet dipped your toe into the world of UF, then this is for you - you will get the best of all worlds. I don't think I have ever been so pleased to see the great words "Book 1" in the title! "Born of Hatred" Book 2 is now sitting on my Kindle and I will be heading back to see what Nate is up too very very soon. You should come too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality fantasy debut novel, 10 Feb. 2013
Found my way to this book on the recommendations page at the end of the previous book I read on my Kindle. Read the sample, then jumped in with the massive investment of £1.92. Really excellent value.

I am a huge Jim Butcher fan & these books have a similar flavour, personally I could not give a stronger recommendation. Rather than me waffling on anymore & giving spoliers I would suggest Kindle owners give the sample a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Briilant start to a promising new series, 14 Mar. 2013
I enjoy Urban Fantasy novels; the blend of ancient and modern, arcane and everyday. Crimes Against Magic is everything good about this genre. There's monsters new and old, and Magic. Lots of magic.

Nate has lost his memory, but the reader gets flashbacks into his past even while he's starting to unlock his long-lost memories. The mix of past and present is dealt with cleanly and easily, so there's not even the slightest feeling of not knowing what's going on. Meanwhile, the story fair rockets along at a breathless pace, with a cast of characters you can't help but like - even when you probably shouldn't.

I bought the second book before I'd finished the first, because I knew I'd want to go straight on. And I hope book three is out soon, because one thing I'm not is patient! Especially when the writing is this good.

The details are meticulous - the fight scenes are clearly drawn and easy to follow; the action is non-stop; and the details about weaponry is enough to be interesting without sounding like it's cut and paste from Wiki.

Bring on book number 3. And 4... and 5....

5.0 out of 5 stars British wizardry, 1 May 2013
Mrs. K. G. Wood "karigay" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
It's great to read British novels in this genre. There are far too few. This has hints of Butcher's Dresden but Nate Garret is much more confident. I would definitely recommend and I am now looking for more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enter a world where the ancient and modern aren't so far removed., 5 May 2012
Set in modern day London but with a host of historical and fantasy characters, the story creates a world in which the ancient and the modern don't seem so far removed. Magic still exists and there are things that haunt the dark places of the world.

Ten years ago, Nate Garrett woke up in an alley with no memory of his past life. In building himself a new life as a contract thief, he has discovered a lot about himself, including his abilities as a sorcerer, but the truth about his past eludes him.

Hired to steal a laptop full of corporate secrets, he approaches the job like any other, but a nasty surprise is waiting for him. The secrets locked away in his mind interest a lot of people and some of the secrets are very dark indeed.

Nate has to rely on his instincts and the friendships he has formed in the ten years since his memory was obliterated. As things spiral out of control, he ends up in a race against time to figure out who he really is, in the hope that it's someone who knows how to win what looks like an impossible fight.

When I first started reading Crimes Against Magic, the use of amnesia set off warning bells but McHugh handles the concept thoughtfully. It defines Nate's character through both his unwillingness to form strong connections to the people around him and a ubiquitous sense of hiatus and expectation. Rather than a weak cliché plot device, it is a central shadow which touches and informs every element of the story.

While it takes a little while to get to the meat of the story, there is plenty of action to hold the reader's interest right from the get go. While I didn't hit that point of not being able to put it down until somewhere around the last third, I certainly never felt like I wanted to put it down for good.

Fans of urban fantasy and classic myths and legends will find plenty to love. There's also plenty of fast cars and guns, fiery women and gritty fist fights, so I think this book would check a lot of boxes among readers of crime, thriller and action adventure too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable stuff, 21 April 2013
A genuine rival to Jim Butcher. I look forward to reading more. Recommended. Could do with better proof reading. Some slightly annoying Americanisms, like "dove" .

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 23 April 2013
MR "dastardlyknave" (STAINES, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The author tries to do an awful lot and, probably because of that, the more I read the more I kept saying 'No, you're not going there... oh god, you did.' and not in a good way. This book doesn't just nuke the fridge, it nukes the fridge with MIRVs whilst riding a shark over a waterfall crisscrossed by rainbows full of dancing leprechauns.

And the characters all talk in the same voice. And there's so much exposition in the dialogue that it ticked my 'people don't talk like that, George Lucas' box. Also, some of the turns of phrase are just plain weird.

As someone who has attempted to write a book I know it's not easy, and that when you're writing it's easy to say 'go big or go home', but sometime the best advice is 'gently does it'. The Dresden Files does a lot of what this author is going for quite well, but the Dresden books built up to it gently.

On the positive side, if you like fantasy action then look no further. This book is very easy to read. Also easy to throw in frustration, but y'know.

All that said - y'know what they say about opinions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 24 April 2013
I have recently finished reading all the Dresden files and was looking for something as good. I found it here. a cracking read, good characters and plot. Thank you Steve keep up the good work.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a kind of magic, 24 Dec. 2014
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Crimes Against Magic (The Hellequin Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
There are so many titles appearing in the urban fantasy genre these days, so I can imagine it being hard to stand out from the crowd. I was drawn to this one by the blurb, but didn't hold out too much hope that it would be anything more than something to fill the time.

But, I liked it. so much so that I've gone straight in to reading the second in the series.

The characters are likeable (well not the villains obviously), and although there's never any doubt that Nate will survive the numerous scrapes he encounters, it's a good, easy read.

Fans of the genre will enjoy this, and should make it a must-read. Those who aren't fans of the genre are still going to enjoy this - I mean, you're already here right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Crimes Against Magic, 19 Mar. 2013
What can I say, a great read taking you to a world where anything is possible and things exist that shouldn't. Well written explosive from the first page to the last, I recommend you don't miss out on reading this book.