5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT COLLECTIONI WOULD GIVE IT 10 STARS IF I COULD...!
Published on 13 Jan 2012 by Nuria

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy n Dry - most people are not likely to stick with it...
I own many titles on home fitness, and many of them have transformed my (body/life - read as you will). I have a bone to pick with Michaels: yes, the exercises are tough and effective, however the workouts are no fun at all! Unless you possess military discipline, you will quickly abandon this set. And isn't the usefulness of such a product measured primarily by how often...
Published 3 months ago by x iLeon

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT COLLECTIONI WOULD GIVE IT 10 STARS IF I COULD...!, 13 Jan 2012
I had been browsing through Jillian Michaels' videos for some time before I made up my mind to purchase this boxed set. I am very keen on fitness and, having 3 young children and working full-time, there is no way I can even start to think about hitting the gym. Therefore, I own a very well-stocked fitness collection of about 60 DVDs, some of them going as far back as the 1980s. I also have a treadmill and a stationary bike on which I train regularly so, as you can see, variety is not a problem in my case.

Over the years, one of the problems I've encountered with fitness DVDs is that I outgrew them very quickly. Then I discovered Billie Blanks, and that DID make a huge difference, but I also wanted something involving weight and resistance work, so I turned to The Firm, which also delivered great results. Jillian Michaels had always put me off a bit, as she came across as slightly aggressive in the videos and previews I watched. At the same time, I liked her no-nonsense approach to exercise, her straightforward routines (it always takes me a while to learn The Firm ones) and her emphasis on strength.

Then this boxed set was released. I checked up the four DVDs separately, and it was obvious that the collection had been put together with a high degree of common sense; it is coherent and exhaustive, as each DVD targets a specific type of workout. I'll expand on this later. Also, what I found really attractive was the price. It doesn't get much better than this, so I thought, "go for it! If, in the worst case scenario, you don't like some, or even all of, the workouts, you won't have spent a huge amount of money."

I have now gone through 3 of the DVDs, and have watched the fourth. I can't begin to tell you how glad I am with this purchase. I'm a seasoned exerciser, and it takes quite a bit to get me puffing and gargling my heart out, even though I'm well on my way to 42 years of age. But Jillian manages to do this with each and every one of her workouts. Not to an unbearably painful extent, mind you. When I seem to have reached my limit and I think "this is it, now I'm gonna die", she moves on and gives me a (short) respite. And that's the secret that keeps me going. There are no fancy moves or complicated choreographies. It's the old-fashioned "no pain, no gain" thing throughout. And it works. There are also variations for more and less advanced exercisers, and Jillian makes sure they're clearly explained to you throughout the workouts. The only downside, and it's a small one, to the entire project is that the emphasis throughout is on weight loss more than overall fitness and strength. There will of course be a lot of people out there who exercise because they are determined to shed some weight, but there are also many of us who are slim and regard physical fitness as an essential component of our daily routine, just like eating or brushing our teeth.

On to the DVDs - I won't get into much detail here, because each DVD is thorougly described in the sections where they are sold separately, but I would just like to emphasize on how exhaustive and well-put this collection is: (1) 30-Day shred is made up of 3 overall, x-training workouts, self-contained and only 20 minutes long each. They use the 3-2-1 method (3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs). You can do them separately and combine with some other short workouts in this collection, or do in one go (and that IS hard, I promise!) (2) Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism is a 40-minute workout which you perform without weights, but beware! There's a lot of resistance involved with lots of burpees, planks and push-ups. One very good thing about this workout is that you can select the number of circuits you want from the main menu. (3) No More Trouble Zones is designed to complement Banish Fat, and it is intended as a toning workout, although you never quite lose sight of the cardiovascular component, which is a good thing, at least for me, to keep things interesting. (4) 6-Week 6-Pack is the one I have not as yet tried, although I've watched it and, yes, it is hard. Once again, this is a toning workout focusing on abs (THAT area most of us women struggle with at some point), and it is made up of 2 x 30-minute workouts, the second one being a progression from the first. Once again, do not be fooled by the fact that this is a toning workout, for the cardiovascular component is there as well to some extent and, once again, it makes time fly.

All in all, we have 4 DVDs, two focusing mainly, but not exclusively, on cardio (30-Day Shred and Banish Fat), and two which target-tone your entire body, but without neglecting cardio, either (No More Trouble Zones and 6-Week). In addition, all of the workouts are either short (20-30 minutes) or can be broken up into shorter, 6-minute segments, which enables you to literally make an endless number of combinations and never get bored. At the same time, for those days when you feel a bit down, or don't have the time to start combining workouts, you can still tackle a 20 or 30 minute one and, being so intense, you've got the feeling that you've actually accomplished something. It doesn't get much better than that.

As for Jillian, I must say my initial impressions about her have changed as I've been doing the workouts. She comes across as demanding, serious about what she does, assertive but not aggressive. She is not in the least patronising and does not appear to be playing a role, but just being herself. All I can say, to sum it all up, is that I would give this collection 10 stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merciless but motivational, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - The Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I came across Jillian Michaels on the Sky channel "Fitness TV" 6 months ago and decided to buy my first DVD of hers "Ripped in 30". I knew I was out of shape and wouldn't be able to keep up but I didn't want that to put me off seeing it to the end so, I paced myself by walking through some of it when I got too tired. My strategy worked and I can now manage all the levels. Be under no misapprehension that Jillian's workouts are about pushing yourself, not going through the motions. I'm glad I stuck with it as the feeling of losing my muffin top and being able to do my first ever proper "man" push up at the age of 50 is so satisfying.

I have since bought this set ("The Collection") which is exceptional value for money - you couldn't get one session at any fitness class for the price of one of the DVDs. I also have Killer Buns & Thighs and Yoga Meltdown. Very little space is needed and no equipment is required.

I truly believe that anyone committed to improving their diet and exercise regime can attain the physique they want. I find Jillian particularly motivating and, although my family know my nickname for her - beginning with a "B" - I can and do recommend her to anyone who will listen. Her excellent reviews for this set speak for themselves and are well deserved.

Thanks Jillian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard work but works!, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - The Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I am currently on week three of the 30 day shred. Intense! The exercises are difficult but manageable use to the 3,2,1 system (3minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs). Just when you think you are going to die Jillian switches to another exercise. I find her very likable but would not want her training me in any other way than through the tv as she does not take excuses! She pushes you hard whilst motivating you and reminding you that it is only 20minutes so stay strong.

The only downside to this disk (I haven't used the others) is that there is not explanation of diet or how many times you should do the DVD. If it helps, I did level 1 (following the easier version) five times in week one, I then followed the harder version 5 times in week two, I have done level 2 (the easy version) 5 times in week three and will move into the harder version next week, and so on.

The exercises take hard work but are effective. I have not found myself becoming bored with them which I have found with other work out DVDs (Natalie Cassidy, Davina). I have not been dieting and have still managed to go down a dress size with 15 days of exercising to go! This works, it is enjoyable (if not quite painful) and Jillian gets you to see results! A must buy for someone looking to slim and tone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where there's a Jill there's a way......., 5 Jan 2012
I was new to the fitness guru Jillian Michaels and came across this set on Amazon. The fact I was getting so much for what amounted to the price of a single DVD from many of the alternatives was the initial appeal, but having used these DVD's I am an absolute convert and couldn't recommend them highly enough.

My main reason for choosing this set was the want to lose weight, I have tried various methods in the past with temporary or no success and wanted to try something different. Unlike many people fitness was not a primary driver, I've never got on with the gym and possibly due to feeling more comfortable in my own home, I seem to be able to get more from the workouts I've done with Jillian. Inside three weeks I am feeling noticably stronger and despite still finding each workout a challenge I am already feeling the benefits and increased endurance at this early stage.

For those as new to Jillian as myself, each DVD delivers a very demanding and high energy workout with Jillian willing you along with her demanding and motivating style. For me it seems just when the moves are getting really hard and starting to feel a little too much Jillian pipes up to remind you that "I know it's tough but these are the ones that really count." Each DVD has levels of intensity/difficulty so you can start as a beginner with the more straight forward moves, but for me each level delivers a great sweat inducing session.

This feels very different to other DVD systems, rather than some celebrity vehicle this programme is deliberately challenging, no corners are cut but if you stick with it for even a few days you very quickly see why.

I will look to update this review as I go on with the system, but for now I am really enthuised, check out reviews for the DVD's individually as I did before buying and you'll see I'm not alone.

If this year is the year you really want to make that lifestyle change then this set won't see you go far wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dropped a dress size in 3 weeks, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - The Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is AMAZING! Although I am currently slightly overweight, I am quite fit in terms of making sure I do a workout most days. Previously did the Tae Bo DVDs which I considered quite difficult. Well, they are a walk in the park compared to Jillian! Her DVDs are challenging but in a good way. I have done one every morning before work and before eating anything so that the energy to do the workout comes from my fat stores. Even in 3 weeks I have dropped a dress size so really pleased. Something to note is that I have only lost 4 pounds but dropped a dress size but I think a lot of it is that I am building muscle from all the squats, kicks, ect. Plus I use ankle and hand weights when I do her workouts to tone up more quickly. So.. if you do this DVD don't be disheartened by what the scale says - the real proof is in how you fit in your clothes. Good luck to all, if you keep at it, you will reach your goals! :))

5.0 out of 5 stars This DVD is incredible!, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - The Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I originally bought 30day shred on it's own but then lost it in a broken DVD player so bought this box set to replace it. I've yet to try any of the other work outs but I love it! I was slightly cautious of doing this DVD at first due to having a bad back and as a result being quite unfit, so it did sit on the shelf for a while gathering dust.

However, after some encouragement from a friend who had recently used it I decided to give it a go. It is great! I feel so much happier in myself after having done a workout with this and wish I tried it sooner. The low impact options are a good alternative, especially if you have an injury so you really can build it up gradually. I feel like i've worked out 10 times harder in this 20min workout compared to an hour workout at the gym. In addition it so easy to find 20mins to fit in around work, exams, and meeting friends and family, so that it really is quite easy to get into a routine of doing it (almost) every day. Planning to cancel my £40 a month gym membership tomorrow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 6 Feb 2013
I am not a fan of workout DVD's but after putting on too much weight over the festive period, i couldnt afford to hit the gym so i decided i'd get a workout DVD. i had done Jillians Ripped in 30 Level 1 that i recorded off the TV and loved it so i made the decision to get her DVD's.
Best decision i have made! it's far better than the gym! i managed to loose nearly 8 inches all over my body in just 17 days! AMAZING!!!
i feel healthier and fitter than i have done in years! i do a different DVD every day and have Sundays off as my rest day, just beacuse i get bored easily. it means i get the ultimate work out from Jillian!
i have been doing the work outs for over a month now and i'm so happy with the results! my confidence has shot through the roof and i was able to get my skinny jeans back on last week!
if you want variety, a good work out that's going to make you sweat but enjoy the burn at the same time this DVD box set is for you! Jillian is a bad ass and i love her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Jan 2013
S. E. Kelly (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
I brought this after watching it through on YouTube and searching the internet high and low for a bad review- I literally could not find one. I'm currently on Day 5 of Level One of 30 Day Shred and while the workouts are tough and challenging I have already seen an improvement in my general fitness. I am planning on trying out Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism this weekend as well as my usual shred workout. If you want to make a commitment to fitness this year- get this box set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good workout at a good price, 2 Mar 2013
I'm a huge Tae Bo fan, but wanted a change as I am a bit bored with my older dvds and haven't been as impressed with some of the more recent ones. Also, I am quite time constrained now, having a full-time job and two small children, so I wanted something that was short but effective. Somebody recommended Davina workouts, but I hated these with a passion, and would rather get fat than endure her again! As such, after reading dozens of reviews, I decided to give these a go.
I can't say that I enjoy them in the same way as the Billy Blanks Get Ripped dvds, but they are quicker, and the exercises seem to get different muscles so I have seen an improvement from just 20 mins a day, without changing my eating habits.
I have only done the 30 day shred so far, but my friend has borrowed one of the others from the set, and has commented that she is impressed and has seen results, so I will give those a go when I get more time. Gillian is quite motivational, and I like the fact that she is honest, and doesn't try to convince you that you are having fun, but that what you are doing is a necessary evil if you want to lose weight and get fit! I found this quite refreshing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, 17 July 2012
I am reasonably fit, run 3-6 miles 5 times a week and have about 7lbs left to lose, and was looking for something I could do at home when I can't get out running due to having too many children to arrange childcare for..! I have found that I can do most of the level 1 programmes, a couple of bits I find really push me which is just what I need. I am also happy in the knowledge that once my muscles and fitness level start to improve I have another level (or 2) to move up to. I like her words of encouragement and haven't yet found it too annoying! I think these would be difficult for someone who is very inactive or has a lot of weight to lose but for me they are just right. Really pleased.

Jillian Michaels - The Collection [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - The Collection [DVD] by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2013)