5.0 out of 5 stars Includes Part 1 of the "Stella Conquest" series
I received this book free to read and review.
I got this book as I wanted to read Part 1 of the Stellar Conquest series and having seen part 2, I did not realise it was contained in this compendium. However I was pleased with this book as it introduced me to a couple of authors I was not familiar with and will read other books by them.
Two of the stories in...
Published 13 months ago by Bob

1.0 out of 5 stars Not part of the Star Force series
This item has been labelled incorrectly as it is NOT part of the Star Force series by Brian Larson. The book seems to be a collection of three completely unrelated stories and does not have a table of contents to make it easy to flick to the one you want to read. I returned it for a refund.
Published 13 months ago by KindleGuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Includes Part 1 of the "Stella Conquest" series, 6 Nov 2013
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Planetary Assault (Stellar Conquest Series) (Kindle Edition)
I received this book free to read and review.
Two of the stories in this book are remarkably similar although the style of writing is different Cyborgs by Vaughn Heppner and First Conquest by David Van Dyke both deal with the Earth troops attacking an alien world and both are in there own way very interesting and serve as an introduction to a new series. With First Conquest although being the first of a new series does include many characters from the previous series "Plague Wars" and although the new series does stand well by itself if you want to know more about the background of the characters and the reason for Earth wishing to attack the "Meme" it would be best to read this series first. Part 1 The Eden Plague (Plague Wars)
The other book "Army of one" is a Novella from the Star Force Series and although I have not yet read any of the others it does seem to serve as an introduction to a main character. He does seem very interesting and it makes me want to read the rest of the series.
In all a very good set of 3 Novellas but one that I would not have read until I was told it contained part one of the "Stella Conquest" series.
Off to read part 2 now.Desolator: Book 2 (Stellar Conquest)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Military Sci-Fi, 3 Jun 2013
James A. Anderson "Author" (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This is military science fiction at its finest. A great read and quite a bargain for the price.

PLANETARY ASSAULT is a collection of three novellas of future combat in one volume by three masters of SF. Each tells the story of a planetary invasion by men on a do-or-die mission.

"An Army of One" by B. V. Larson (a novella in the Star Force series) - One man attempts to stay neutral...and fails. The Macros are invading from the skies. The only nanotized man who isn't officially part of Star Force learns how hard it can be to avoid an interstellar war.

"First Conquest" by David VanDyke (Book #1 of the Stellar Conquest series) - In 2115, EarthFleet sends its best warships and bravest Marines on a one-way trip to conquer an alien star system, to win or die trying.

"Cyborgs!" by Vaughn Heppner (a novella set in the Doom Star series) - The Space Marines are in the Oort Cloud, racing in their insertion pods to the frozen planetoid of Tyche. Alone in the dark, outnumbered and outgunned by the cyborgs waiting for them on the methane-ice surface, the hour of desperation has arrived.

Tight pacing and action-packed plots make this riveting reading. The battle against the cyborgs is some of the best battle action I've read. Battlestar Galactica on Meth.

I highly enjoyed all three of these short novels and they could well become sci-fi classics in the fashion of Robert Heinlein or Ray Bradbury.

Good stuff! Well edited and well written books that are easily worth 5 stars.

A review copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an unbiased review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be blown away, 24 May 2013
A great collection of short novels (that actually aren't that short) from some of the biggest names in the military sci-fi genre - I first came across these authors through VanDyke's fantastic Plague Wars series, and these new installments certainly don't disappoint. The tight pacing and action-packed plots will have you plowing through the text in one sitting (lack of sleep allowing) and will leave you checking out these three authors' extensive back catalogs for more - and I highly recommend you do. I downloaded a sample just to check this out and was hooked immediately - I defy you not to do the same...

Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not part of the Star Force series, 20 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely fantastic series, 15 Jun 2014
i've always imagined using nanites and constructing fleets on asteroids, so this series was a fantastic find,read them all solidly and loved every bit. absolutly excellent example of sci-fi, cant wait for more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Encouraged me to buy more, 18 Jun 2013
A. Anderson (Scotland) - See all my reviews
More than enough interest to encourage me to buy more from the three authors. You often wonder if budget sci fi is going to be worthwhile, so this is a good way of sampling to put you on to new series from different authors

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, time well spent, would reccommend, 19 Sep 2014
David Herron - See all my reviews
good read, time well spent, would reccommend