4.0 out of 5 stars A little pricey.
There's quite a bit of on-line information about retina tablets, and lots of opinions of the sort "I haven't got one, but it sucks/is great/not bothered" variety. Well, I now have one. And it's great... mostly.

Published 13 months ago by A. Walker

1.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive for what it is
On paper the device seems very good but it is in the QA of the device it is let down.
It came with its own charger which needed an adapter to plug into a UK socket.
When charging the screen would misbehave.
The integration of Android into the device seemed lacking and challenging on a reset unless you can read Chinese.
The sound wasn't balanced out of...
Published 11 months ago by D. Tovee

4.0 out of 5 stars A little pricey., 5 Aug 2013
A. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: PIPO M6 - 9.7 retina HD (2048 x 1536) IPS Screen Quad Core RK3188 Cortex A9 1.8GHz Tablet PC Android 4.2 2G RAM Bluetooth Dual Camera Aluminum shell (Personal Computers)

The build quality is plastic but solid, and REALLY light for the size. This is a replacement for an Ainol Novo10 Hero II, which feels significantly heavier in the hand than this.

Button and port placement is slightly odd - I normally expect all ports to occupy left and buttons to occupy top side, when held in landscape, but this device has them top/right, which puts them poorly positioned in portrait mode. So, it feels a bit like a tablet made for lefties. You get used to it quickly of course, but it seems a strange decision.

The tablet is built on the latest Rockchip SoC 3188 - this chipset is very fast (Quadcore 1.6-ish) , graphically pretty punchy (quad-core Mali 440), and because of its 25nm build, great on power consumption.

The device charges quickly with the provided charger - it purportedly does NOT charge through USB - I wouldn't know (or care really), as the standard charger works quickly and flawlessly. The large battery (not enormous, around 7000mA) allows for a fairly serious amount of usage. You'll not need to charge this unit every day. Comparable to the 10000mA battery in the Hero II, for example.

There's no major lag with the operation of the tablet on the latest firmware, which is what my unit came flashed with. The bonus here is there was no Chinese crapware installed, the negative (from my perspective) is that the Pipo launcher wasn't included, which I REALLY wanted to try, and you really can't get anywhere except pre-installed.

About that firmware - Android 4.2 is great to have. Really great. Techies will like it more, because they'll want to root the device and enable multi-users (which is bizarrely disabled on this firmware). It's also worth pointing out that Rockchip devices are ridiculously easy to root, so don't be disheartened by having to do this - a quick Google will show you how to enable it.
Google Play is installed, so once you've signed in with your Google account, you can start updating/installing all those essential Google apps you just can't live without.

Wireless performance is fine/good, with good solid bars being show for my (standard 2.4Ghz 802.11b/g) router all over the house.

The screen is beautiful, but is it worth an extra 20-50 over a stock 720 or 1080 display? It's really, really, ridiculously good looking.
Colour reproduction and normal operation are great, but didn't really stand out as 'Retina', IMO. Maybe at top brightness, but then you'll pass battery like no tomorrow. But at that level, viewing angles, resolution, colour reproduction - all lovely
Note: zoom in/out and pan and scan with full-screen, high-resolution images will show a slight redraw speed issue (I'm being very picky, but it's there), showing that maybe the SoC can't *quite* handle the high resolution without a stutter.

Videos and YouTube all handle well (with huge black bars tops and bottom, naturally, given the ratio of the screen).

Games and apps seem to run well (I'm talking Angry Birds here, not really tested too much else, but see later for some reservations).

So why only 4 stars?

That bloody 4:3 retina screen...

"But it's the same screen and ratio as an iPad!" I hear mumbled. It surely is, but the Android devs don't work well with that ratio or resolution.

Android devices are largely wide-screen or wider-screen formats (16:8-16:9) and lower resolutions, so the applications have largely been built around this. Now, for the non-games apps, this largely doesn't cause an issue (apps will resize to fit). Games? That's where things start to go wrong. All I've tried work... to some degree. Most work all the time. Others get to a certain point then fail or cut off the right edge rather than resize or window (Plants v Zombies, I'm looking at you).

Now, this could just be a case of slack developers just not caring, and if that is the case, this will NEVER change - a Chinese device like this one will never be fully supported by devs with that attitude.

And therein lies the problem. Unless this resolution and screen ratio become the norm (which I fervently hope they do not), potential problems like this will continue to appear and cause potential buyers issues.

But they're minimal - it bugs the hell out of me for the ones I've found, but other devices have the same issue (mainstream Moto devices have the same PvZ bug, for example) and they seem to sell well enough. So maybe it's a bit mean to pick on it.

So, in summary, I experimented with this tablet and everything about it is really good. I knew about the screen when buying it (in fact, it was why I bought it), but in use this has a little "not for me" feel about it.
What I can say is that it kicks the crap out of the Ainol Hero II, despite the latter having a 10.1" screen. And that the chipset (that RK3188 thing) is very good - If that damn screen and resolution were so important to me, maybe I should have bought the Pipo M9 Pro instead.

But if you love iPad, maybe this is your next stop - at shy of 200, this hybrid could be right up your street. Get it with the Pipo Launcher installed and you can even try out what Windows Phone feels like running on Android. Go on - give it a go. You know you want to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pipo M6, 25 July 2013
This a good product however the left hand internal speaker' volume is well down compared with the right hand speaker, headphones work OK. My son has experienced the same with his purchase, he sent it back & the replacement is no better, also beware that the price does not include import duty although it was purchase from a UK company

4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, 12 Sep 2013
I have this tablet for one month now and what I can say is:

pros:
+ GORGEOUS screen & good strong backlight
+ quite fast for retina tablet
+ nice for wathing movies (1080p videos looks pin sharp) browsing and also games look quite good
+ good batterry life(almost 7-10h , deppending on your usage)
+ good wifi
+ good support from pipo (firmware updates)
+ no chinesse aps, clean 4.2.2 android with option for android or pipo launcher

neutral:
built quality - it is ok, but it could be a little bit better

cons:
- no GPS and no proximity senzor
- left speaker is weaker than right one, they could be a little bit better, but overall they are not that bad, you can allways intall an app for louder speakers

overall: I am quite happy with this tablet, it does it's job well, if this tablet would have gps and proximity senzor, also with perfect speakers I would give this tablet 5 stars, good luck pipo, I will look for your future products

5.0 out of 5 stars 5* device, 20 Jun 2013
Got the tablet in 12 days (UK). Worked straight out of the box.

YouTube works perfectly in full screen or otherwise - through the YouTube app or browser.

Wireless signal matches or betters that of my laptop's.

Aesthetically/visually pleasing - I like the two front facing speakers as well as the fact that all ports are on the same side. Build feels solid.

Scored 13500 or so on Antutu benchmark.
All specs as described. Tablet feels and looks better than I expected.

Dracotek were helpful on the few occasions that I contacted them before I took the plunge. Bear in mind the time difference if contacting (GMT +8).

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice tablet, shame about the recharging, 5 Nov 2013
The only problem with the tablet i received was that it wouldn't charge after the first successful one, so had to be returned. This was all dealt with, very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast with a high quality Screen, 28 Sep 2013
Good bright crisp screen.
Performance is quick for a tablet, YouTube and Vevo work really well and with the retina display I can view desktop websites easily.
The battery performance is better than I expected. I recently took the M6 on a trip watching 2 HD films and some music on the plane (9 hour flight). I then used it for email and browsing over the next 3 days before it required another charge.

I did find the WiFi was better on 5G than 2.4G
The speakers are not that loud but with a good set of headphones listening to music it was very good.

The packaging could have been a bit better but nothing was damaged in transit.

Overall I am pleased with this purchase and would buy one again ( much more sensible that fruit based over priced tablets)

1.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive for what it is, 11 Sep 2013
D. Tovee "dtovee" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
It came with its own charger which needed an adapter to plug into a UK socket.
When charging the screen would misbehave.
The sound wasn't balanced out of the speakers.
It had a screen protector which was great but it wasn't fitted straight and so it wasn't sealed to the screen!

The screen was very good and the response from the device when it worked was impressive but if the QA isn't there...
I managed to return mine but it wasn't easy :(

I think it is too expensive for what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressions of my first tablet after 3 weeks, I like it!, 4 Jan 2014
I finally took the plunge and brought a second user M6 (for 120 what a deal!)on Amazon after spending quite a bit of time reading reviews of different Chinese tablets. I didn't fancy shelling out 500 pounds or more for a fruit based tablet experience.

First, I was pretty satisfied with its performance as supplied. It was exactly what I wanted, mainly something to surf the net, Skype and watch a bit of Youtube. The battery lasts for ages, especially as I keep the brightness a notch or two below maximum. It has loaded every app I tried so far without problems, The sound was about what I expected, not brilliant but good enough for me, lots of comments stated that the audio on one level was noticeably lower than the other which is the only reason I first noticed but once I noticed it became a slight distraction.

The wifi range is slightly better than my old Galaxy S phone achieves. I really like the screen brightness and resolution. Build quality is OK, I'm sure it will last so long as I dont drop it! I have bought a leather case to try and protect it. I'm still constantly feeling around the edge to find the on/off button, its not instinctive for me yet,I wish there was a small visible mark to remind me where it is, I ought to stick a marker the bezel, this is a trivial yet irritating point for me.

Being a bit of a tinkerer I decided to forget about the warranty and install an alternative ROM (RileyROM 1.9 and a matching kernel). By the time I'd my research, installed suitable Windows drivers, installed the tablet updates and finished mucking about I'd wasted most of an evening. (Dont do this unless you can dig yourself out of any pickles and you dont care about any warranty.) The Antutu score rose from 16500 to 19700.

I found that changing the screen resolution from HD to Normal (1600x1128, its still very HDto me!) made no practical reduction in image quality but did noticeably increase the web page scrolling smoothness to perfect for most pages.

The reason that the audio is low on one side is that there is a wide strip of plastic across the hole where the speaker sits which is not present on the louder speaker. There are websites clearly showing the problem and a couple of Youtube videos showing how to easily open the case, so how could I resist! It didn't take long to rectify the unbalanced sound by carefully removing the speaker and cutting off the offending plastic strip.

When using Skype the mic audio is too low, that's probably due to the pathetically small hole (less than 1mm) on the side of the case (so its not forward facing!) to let the audio in. If you talk into the side of the case by the mic hole its very loud. I intend to increase that to a 3 or 4mm hole in the next few days to see if that helps, which I expect it will, I will update the review when I've done it.

I can't comment on Bluetooth performance as I have not tried it.

So now I can say I'm very pleased indeed with my new toy.