Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.59

on 17 July 2013
I don’t know how many people believe that dinosaurs never existed and that the devil planted their bones into the earth to test the faithful, I wish them a healthy recovery though. What I do know, is that a few thought that the comeback of Alice in Chains after fourteen years would be as good as 2009’s‘Black Gives Way to Blue’. The new chapter that the band opens with ‘The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here’ is less immediate, less Sabbath-y and has more variety.
After the riff based start with ‘Hollow’, the record goes through many changes and explores different musical paths, from metal to country. Do yourselves a favor and listen to it repeatedly, to really get the atmosphere of ‘Voices’, the beautiful Jerry Cantrell solo in ‘Low Ceiling’, the vocal melodies of ‘Breath on a Window’, epic song ‘Phantom Limb’, pitch black tune ‘Hung on a Hook’ and the touching ending with ‘Choke’. I purposely left the magical title track for last, because I consider it to be one of the finest moments of the band’s career, both musically and lyrically. Even the tracks I didn’t mention have unique traits; while at the same time remain absolutely trademark Alice in Chains pieces thanks to the otherworldly double vocals and the emotional weight and depth they give off.
My only remark has to do with William DuVall’s role; he rarely is the protagonist compared to Cantrell, though whenever he does, he’s really good at it.
It’s an amazing achievement for the Alice in Chains of today to have created two consecutive albums that can stand beside the monument which is ‘Dirt’. Lastly, those of you that still wander whether they should even continue as a band, let me assure you that the unforgettable Layne Staley, as well as Mike Starr, are very proud with what they hear and see from above.

Romanos Terzis
on 26 January 2014
I think this is great, it's like AIC, I feel at home, yet they`ve evolved and it's different from their other albums as I think it should be. You really cant make Dirt 2 . I really don't understand the critic all songs are the same - then you haven't listened,`instead I admire the fact they're all so different. But it's always like that with AIC, you must listened several times to them to fully appreciate them. To me that's a compliment, means they are more complex, not like a song you here once, love immediately and get bored to death the fifth time you hear it. Give them a chance... / Sophie
on 14 September 2013
Whilst a lot of die hard AIC fans might find the new material not as inventive and the loss of Mr Stanley hard, but this album still packs a punch. The more you play it, it definitely grows on you. The guitars still provide a solid platform for the, what I think, excellent vocals. The music still has the energy if earlier works and is richly layered. I still listen to the whole back catalogue and this album is a great progression / addition to my collection. Can't wait to catch their tour at the Manchester University Academy in a couple of months.
on 24 July 2013
Another qualty release from AIC and the 2nd with new guitarist/singer WD... actually like his voice and think he sits well with JC It's not about replacing LS who sadly passed... but it's about dveloping and progressing as a band, they've done this nicely with a few left field songs on this album. I would actualy like to see them have a little more fun wth their music just like they did on their debut "Facelift" all those years ago.... mix up the tunes ad styles... not that I am complaining with this ;)
on 12 June 2013
This is a great grunge album from Alice in Chains, Ive never really been an Alice in Chains fan, always mean more of a Soundgarden and Nirvana fan, however this album has made me get into them!!! It has some great heavy guitar riffs and anyone new to Alice in Chains will enjoy the album!!!
on 7 August 2013
Everybody listen, voices in my head, everybody listen, does yours say what mine says.......
I hope Im saying what you will think.
Took me several listens to get this album. I was initially put off by the very smooth voice work on this album. I loved the grind and crackles of Alice's most important era in the 90s. Ive always loved the band musically but would be lying if I ignored the importance of the iconic Layne Staley to the finished feel of Alice's music..... Black Gives Way was satisfying, but for me it was reaching for the stars as an album instead of just already being up there.
There is no shame in this as I think the band have gone about renewing themselves perfectly.....
What Im trying to say is...This album is a new coming of age. I really can once more hear their voices and Im really amazed that the boys have done it once more to this level.

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is comparable to Tripod and Sap and the pop side of Dirt musically. Less so Facelift - Facelift for me is the essence of Grunge (sorry all you pearlys and nirvanay's.) and along with the Mad Season album, two of the best albums to ever come out of the US.

Dinosaurs doesn't try to be any of the previous albums but there are careful nods in many of the songs....but what the hey this album stands up so well by itself and that should be respected.

Highlights - Voices, the title track, Hung on a hook, Phantom Limb and their best end to an album since Would? - Choke is brilliant.

Devils for me represents the echoes of a gone era in pop/rock/grunge. An era where bands were full of real people who wanted to make good art and say how things were.
on 4 June 2013
Think most of the reviewers here are on the money with this latest Alice In Chains offering. It is not as immediate as the previous album - i loved the acoustic numbers on that one as they reminded me of the groups finest ever recording the Sap EP. It does take several plays of ...Dinosaurs..to get to grips with some of the tunes. My favourites are still the ones with acoustic guitar namely Choke, Voices and Scalpel. To loose a lead singer usually spells the end for a group and if they soldier on for a bit touring or recording it usually is underwhelming - think Queen or Inxs. But i will for years be playing these second phase albums along with Dirt etc. With DuVall the vocals are different and yet with Cantrells vocals layered in with the classic AIC sound the legacy remains intact.
on 15 July 2013
Its great, clearly very influenced by Cantrell which in my opinion is a good thing. Its a mixture of old stuff, you may recognise some of the sounds from the original albums but also has a hint of "black gives way to blue". If you like any of Alice in Chains music you will like this!
on 27 August 2013
It took me a while to enjoy this album but I now consider it to be one of the best rock albums I have heard in the last few years.
New listeners should start the album on track 7 and continue from there.
This is one of those albums where the most tuneful tracks start half way through .
on 25 July 2013
Black gives way and Dinosours as 2 blinding albums. Honestly it's difficult to consider Layne is no longer with us, but the new guys is an awesome addition.

2 Guitars instead of 1...can't be bad can it.

I can't think oif a single song on this record that I don't like, not one would I consider a B side.... It's simply spell binding that after all these years AIC stick to doing what they do best....dark, moody, grumpy...fantastic....never have I been so happy being miserable.