5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, honest and a definite must read!
Published 17 months ago by Samantha Betteridge

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Ok'
Published 13 months ago by CJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, honest and a definite must read!, 26 May 2013
This review is from: The Ministry of Thin: How the Pursuit of Perfection Got Out of Control (Kindle Edition)
This book explores every single pressure that women are faced with, in the 21st century, especially the unhealthy desire to be thin. It analyses our obsessions with remaining young, thin and beautiful but ultimately asking who actually defines those attributes? and what good are they unless we are happy? Reading this simply puts your OWN life into perspective and allows you to remember that personal happiness and health are far more important than how you look. I definitely recommend this book. Emma is a master of words - words that will stay with you for a very long time after turning the final page.

5.0 out of 5 stars another Woolf blockbuster, 22 May 2013
I've been waiting months for this book - ever since finishing Emma Woolf's heart-breaking memoir An Apple a Day - and I loved it. She raises so many important issues: women, weight, beauty, sex, ageing, how we treat ourselves, why we're locked into this war with our bodies, and how we can get free... I'd recommend this book to anyone (male or female) who has ever wanted to lose weight, or look different, or be happier, sexier, more successful or just feels uncomfortable in their own skin and wants to be someone else. I read her weekly columns in The Times - and this book is Woolf's usual mix of intelligence, truth and wry humour. Can't wait for the audio-book too, for when I'm at the gym. Five stars - it's a yes from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's On Your Side!, 27 May 2013
I so enjoyed this down-to-earth, incisive, and above all encouraging look at how women view their own bodies against the roar of voices telling them they need to be perfect.

There's nothing judgemental here, only a friend reaching out to pat you on the back. I feel so much better for reading it. Thank you, Emma Woolf.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Good Modern Day View of the Obsession in the Media Modern Day Celebrity Magazines with Women's Dress sizes., 27 Jan 2014
I would say as an Young Women in today's World if You want too be an mother You have to always be there know where Your Child is be an successful Career Women be an good kind understanding adviser to Your Husband but as well as this which affects every Women even the ones who are Super rich Muti millionaire singers such as Madonna who have and can having the luxury of money which gives You all the time in the world to do press ups everyday get an personal Trainer build an gym in Your home. Right down to the ordinary office White Collar Public sector Working Class women who can't afford an Personal Trainer or get an Gym Built in her home and won't have the time If an Women like Britney Jean Spears for example Million Pound sold 20 Million Albums and singles Worldwide one week is in the Magazine like Now I have lost two dress sizes and this is how You Can Do It too. You Can Do It too without the help of personal trainers the Daily 25 Pound Gym Membership Nanny to take the Kids off Your hand so You can still go to the studio and record songs go on album promotion trips and out partying with the likes of Paris Hilton etc. Note The You Can Do It Too It is like it is targeted at Us as if too say You must lost weight You will feel better and be Just like Britney . The other thing as well if Britney puts on Weight or any Celebrity she is labelled fat too make her feel extra insecure and us . Losing Weight is always Good Gaining Weight is Bad . This book is just so right there is an number of reasons Young Girls usually aged between thirteen and nineteen and usually in the media as white and middle class. The rise of thin is attractive the Rise in Pro Ana sites promoting Anorexic as an lifestyle rather than Disease The airbrushing of celebrities in Celebrity Magazines. The Demand in how Skinny Catwalk Models must be and 2000s Size Zero fashion clothing pressure to be an Size Zero Trend and the rise of all kinds of diets and diet books in the last decade. Not just too lost an couple of stone to be healthier and because You need to just too sometimes be thin or get thinner. We are extreme as Women with our bodies with the Demand in Botox Boob Reduction Nose Jobs Fillers Facelifts and Anti Wrinkle Cream this is indeed very sad and distressing and worrying. The fact that most of us all ready fit like me excise just too lost weight without actually remembering the Adeline heart pumping sweating You get from Excise Your Heart is stronger the amount of energy You have. As Someone who has always been a bit of feminist and suffer from Depression from the age of sixteen at times going through my head all the time bad thoughts. At times I wanted and still do too be thinner than an size six for me for confident too be prettier more noticeable or insecurity. I'm glad I read this book I have never been anorexic but always wanted Plastic Surgery which among body image weight being thin thin celebrities stereotypes of thin people this book has helped me a lot . I have always done my research so I go to best qualified surgeons and do use Anti Wrinkle products myself.Thanks Emma I saw This Author recently on Supersize Vs Super-skinny exploring the rise in eating disorders and it was very moving her talking about her 10 Year Joinery with Anorexia and battle with it .

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Ok', 18 Sep 2013
I enjoyed reading 'An Apple a Day', so I decided to purchase the kindle version of 'Ministry of Thin'. To be honest, I enjoyed 'An Apple a Day' much better as it was about the author's personal journey in coping with an eating disorder. 'Ministry of Thin' is a discussion based book looking at how society views body image. Although it is well written, I found I skipped over some parts as they were a bit boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, if anything too short!, 29 Aug 2013
Just kept finding myself saying yes that me that is how I feel / think!!
Emma is very insightful and also has a very apt way of verbalising thing which are often soooo hard to articulate and explain to others. A valued purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me hanging, 29 July 2013
Sorry, Emma! I feel bad about giving your book, The Ministry of Thin, only three stars -especially since I found it compelling and entertaining.

As a description of the pressures on women and their looks, I think my female friends who are into culture, anthropology and sociology would like it.

Me personally, I didn't enjoy the feeling at the end of every chapter of being left hanging; craving answers. Maybe that's the way it is, and the author has done her job. Or maybe it's because the subtitle portrayed a book that would be about the whys and the hows; more scientific or, at least, explanatory.

Being a massive Emma Woolf fan, I'll be looking out for further publications with keen interest. Just this one was not to my taste. Sorry!

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me think, 22 July 2013
I really enjoyed this book and it really made me think about how we are affected by the world around us. I liked to think that I was relatively unaffected by the social expectations about how women should look. Reading this book made me realise otherwise. There are so many behaviours that when you describe them (as this book does) become seriously bizarre.

I would be very careful about reading this book if you have an eating disorder or are recovering.

Very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfectly Honest Look at The World of Thin, 20 July 2013
The Ministry of Thin is a book which takes an honest and frank approach to looking into society's growing obsession with perfection. Woolf explores the sources of this so called need to be perfect in every aspect of life and the challenges that this brings with it. Both the implications a perfection obsession has on health and the influence it will have on increasingly younger children as they are exposed to this nation obsessed. I definitely recommend reading The Ministry of Thin to put you back in touch with loving yourself. Get Reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 19 July 2013
Opens up a whole area of discussion regarding the power and disturbing influence of celebrity over young ( and not so young) girls in society today.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›