4.0 out of 5 stars Going round full circle

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the U-ziq I remember
Published 17 months ago by Christian Lowensprung

4.0 out of 5 stars Going round full circle, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Chewed Corners (Audio CD)
It has been an age since the last album and it has been well worth the wait. I was very disappointed with the last album some 6 years ago BUT life must of changed for the better. This album feels fresh, almost poppy in parts. Now, that can be a bad thing but what MP does in this album is draw in so many influences which makes the album exciting and full of vigour. But he definitely has gone full circle. I remember listening to Tango back in the early 90's and I remember the feelings of Joy that came out of it. This does the same and I just hope MP carries this on for the next offering. There is quite a few highlights for me but like all U-ziq albums there is some fillers. But I can see straight off that I am going to be playing Houzz 10 again, again and again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the U-ziq I remember, 16 Jan. 2014
Christian Lowensprung (TRONDHEIM Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chewed Corners (Audio CD)
This is a surprise. Yes this is electronica music on the verge of being similar to Zomby, and would be ok if the artist name was "insert random electronica artist name" <<here, but this is U-ziq we're talking about. And I don't know about you guys, but I think Zomby handles these short snippets better than U-ziq tries to do here. And I am a bit frustrated too: This is the man who made me realize that Aphex Twin is not the only king of electric beats. Not by a long shot. Not only was U-ziq's previous album Duntisbourne Abbots Soulmate Devastation Technique the best album by him, but it is also one of the best albums I've ever heard across all genres of music. So of course I was hesitant when buying this album, but I must say I am shocked. From the masterpiece that was DASDT, to this. Cheap clap sounds, short thrills here and there, but almost all the tracks in this album are forgettable at best. There are a couple of tracks on it that stand out as above average, but I must say, Chewed Corners feels as a half hearted performance. But I am a fan, so of course this album goes in with all the rest of U-ziq's brilliant works. But DASDT has already gotten a few scratches from me retrieving the CD, and putting it back in my collection again. This CD will only collect dust. Ah well, everybody's got to earn a buck I suppose, and I guess the great U-ziq is no exception to this fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2013 Favourite. Mike Paradinas's masterpiece in years., 6 May 2014
Alexis Martins (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chewed Corners (Audio CD)
After a couple of autist albums, I have to confess I stopped buying µ-Ziq's music since "Royal Astronomy" (which was, IMO one of 90's last electronic music classics).
Having been totally blown away by the music that came from "Tango n' Vectif" or "Bluff Limbo", I guess my interest in his more agressive and experimental approach was fading.
Then, I heard "Chewed Corners".
Its very different from his early releases (or anything he's done before). While those had shadows of melody inserted in experimental structures, "chewed corners" has chord progressions, melodies, and kind of old school sounds inserted in beautiful 808ish beats washed in experimental reverbs and woooshes that go two steps forward while having a shoe in the past.
This was my favourite release from 2013 (that means a lot because 2013 saw new material from Boards of Canada and Black Dog), and having spent that entire summer with this release on my cd player, the freshness of it was a nice breath of fresh air showing that the older artists still know how to create very interesting and modern music with past roots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Idm and techno with a cinametic sound, 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Chewed Corners (Audio CD)
A great album of atmospheric ambient with Idm and techno. A stimulating journey with a cinematic mood , yet still has those delightful uplifting playful sounds that MP does so well while managing sounding both fresh and old at the same time!

Chewed Corners
Chewed Corners by µ-Ziq (Audio CD - 2013)