4.0 out of 5 stars A nice basic introduction to Derby, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Roller Derby Athlete (Paperback)
The book would make a great gift for someone just starting fresh meat, or thinking about trying out. This is a 5-star book for beginners, so maybe I'm being a little harsh with my rating.

The books title and marketing have advertised it as a book for those who already play roller derby, and I feel let down by the fact that, just like every other time I read a book, or leaflet, or watch a movie, a trailer, or a 2 minute video about roller derby, I am explained 'HOW TO PLAY ROLLER DERBY: what is a jammer? What is a blocker? There is no ball!!' and I feel this is unnecessary in a book aimed at skaters. But as I said, great for those new to the sport.

There is some really great basic on and off skates training advice, with clear photos. And I love the interviews throughout, from absolute legends and heroes of the derby world.

This is a really nice book, a better title would have been 'Roller Derby: a beginners guide' or similar. I would love to see a follow up book going into more detail on training and nutrition, and the athletic side of the sport. But I guess most leagues don't want to give up their training secrets...

5.0 out of 5 stars Girlfriend happy with this, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Roller Derby Athlete (Paperback)
I bought this as a gift for my girlfriend who's an avid roller derby player, what I wasn't expecting is for her to recognize most of the people in the book as people she has watched or played against! So that alone made her happy. I've had a quick read through but can't comment on the quality of the content as I'm not a player myself, however she reckons it's a decent book so I trust her judgement.

5.0 out of 5 stars really informative, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Roller Derby Athlete (Kindle Edition)
I'm currently looking to take my training to the next level, and this was really helpful and informative! Especially the section on exercises and nutrition. I will be employing this into my every day life.

The Roller Derby Athlete