4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, but not for beginners!
Published 2 months ago by Miss

3.0 out of 5 stars case broke straight away
Published 4 months ago by Mrs. T. SALMON

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, but not for beginners!, 2 Aug 2014
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a charming product that I would have loved to receive as a young girl. The knitting set is packed in a sweet, sturdy little suitcase with metal clasps, and your finished projects can be stored in there too if desired. The case contains lots of wool, along with everything else you need to make the projects. All the projects are really cute, and kids will love the fact that there are not only nice decorative items like the cupcake cushion, but also useful items like the fingerless gloves.

However, despite the fact that this kit is aimed at children from the age of seven, it is definitely not for beginners. The instructions are complicated and not very easy to understand, and I think anyone learning to knit would need something much more step-by-step with more pictures and more details. If you are thinking of purchasing this as a first knitting kit for a child, they will need to be accompanied and taught by someone who knows what they are doing! Otherwise, it would be better to go for something like Galt First Knitting. For children who already know the basics and how to follow patterns though, this is a really nice kit and quite good value considering how much wool and how many accessories are included!

3.0 out of 5 stars case broke straight away, 15 Jun 2014
Mrs. T. SALMON "upstreamers" (streatham london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I opened the case to look at the contents and when I tried to shut it the catch wouldn't stay closed. This means all the contents tip out and can not be used to carry about the wool. I wasn't impressed by the instructions as they are unillustrated instructions. Don't throw the outer band away as that is the only reference to how the finished product is supposed to look. I think the needles and wool is too small for a beginner a chunkier type of knitting in my opinion would be better. I think might be better for a fairly accomplished knitter and really needs clearer instructions.

On the plus side it does have every thing you need and you do get a lot for your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice starter set, 1 Aug 2014
Angela - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You get loads of wool and the bits to finish off these fun patterns in the galt knitting case, there are 20 small balls of wall and 4.0mm needles. My ten year old was very excited to get going knitting and to make the items for which there are instructions in the case.

I would say this set would not be suitable for younger crafters, as the patterns are of the traditional sort; heavy on writing and low on illustrations, but for an older child, probably with some help, they are fine. We've made a couple of the items already, and really like the fact that it's all in a case for easy storage.

Great set for a present, assuming you can get your crafty child away from loom bands long enough to sit down and persevere with knitting! This is a quality little set with a lot crammed into the case, we like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for those who know how to use it., 17 Aug 2014
Mrs. Bryony A. Shaw "joltek" (Ely, Cambs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We were pretty excited by this kit when it arrived as it's absolutely stuffed full of bits and bobs to sort through. My 7 year old was most impressed by the set of "gold" knitting needles. Unfortunately she has a mother who has no idea how to knit or sew and was hoping that the instructions would be able to walk her through it. The instructions were fairly rudimentary and we didn't find them very helpful. After an hour of getting nowhere we manage to learn the basics from youtube but the excitement was soon replaced with frustration and we did not get very far.

I think this kit would be great for a parent who knows how to sew and knit and can help their child to get the most out of it. Unfortunately that's not me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality materials, but awful instructions, 16 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Galt Knitting Case contains all the materials you need to make a variety of cute knitted items. The kit is aimed at children, but I think it is equally suitable for adult learners. The materials included in this kit are very high quality and I admit I will probably keep the cat and the owl when I have finished them! The big problem I had with this kit was the instructions. They are not that easy to understand and there are hardly any pictures. I think pictures are essential for learners. I assume the makers assume this kit will be bought by mums who knit for their child. I imagine a lot of parents out there want to encourage their child's craft skills, but are beginners themselves so this seems a bit short-sighted.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this knitting case, 23 July 2014
M. E. Wood "robbiejay" (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this knitting case, the contents contain everything you or your child will need to complete five different items. The instructions are basic and would benefit from a complete overhaul, perhaps include some colour photos even a video and would make the instructions so much better. I don't think this case is meant to teach a beginner how to knit, but would be beneficial to a person looking to improve their knitting skills. My granddaughter is new to knitting and is keen to have a go, but don't think she would have been able to follow the instructions if she was a first time knitter. Great follow one set for anyone who can already knit. Good price and good value for money, lacking good instructing unfortunately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant set, let down by the case., 30 Sep 2014
Lucy Lavande (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This lovely kit has everything a child needs to learn how to knit. There are several balls of wool, enough to make all of the patterns supplied, as well as a darning needle and 4mm needles which are shorter and lighter than the standard version, making them brilliant for smaller hands to hold and work with. It's beautifully thought out and put together, and is only let down by the poor quality case which has a clasp that is reluctant to stay closed. If your child takes to knitting you may want to invest in a better knitting bag later on, but other than this small grumble this is an excellent knitting starter set and for the materials provided it's fantastic value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting for kids, 2 Sep 2014
SlayerKat "Desperate Housewife" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a beautiful knitting kit. We also have the sewing kit. Everything you need comes in a gorgeous reusable lockable box. The patterns are easy to follow and my 9 year old has had a wonderful time knitting these projects. A basic knowledge of knitting is helpful and your child may needs lots of support but if you are already a knitter these are lovely projects to do together and introduce your child to knitting with you. My daughter is forever stealing my wool so this was a nice way of giving her her own kit. Would make a lovely gift for a child of a knitter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knitting kit for kids, 19 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great knitting kit for kids. The colours are lovely and work well together. The case is very handy and fits everything in nicely (pretty full too!). My daughter liked the proper metal needles rather than the plastic things you get in some. We haven't made up the designs yet as she is still learning the stitches but they look straightforward enough and the instructions for the projects are good. I would agree though that the instructions how to knit are far too complicated for a 7 year old to understand. Fortunately I can knit and give instructions!

5.0 out of 5 stars The things you can make are fun and funky, 17 July 2014
Love Books "Jessie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Delightful first knitting set for a child, or even a beginner knitter wanting some not too challenging patterns to start with. The things you can make are fun and funky, colourful and cute. Instructions are great and everything you need is provided from the coloured yarn to the bodkin and thread for the detailing. The case itself is solid and attractive. excellent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›