4.0 out of 5 stars Almost, but not quite...
This could almost be my favourite activity tracker but a few issues keep it from the top slot.

Published 16 months ago by Trash

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality control issues ?
I bought 2 of these at the same time. When they arrived I discovered that they had 2 different firmware versions. It was tricky to get them to sync to the 2 Samsung Galaxy S4 phones that we were using. Firmware upgrade was not as easy as the instructions suggested.
Published 16 months ago by tgg

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost, but not quite..., 8 Sept. 2013
Trash (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Withings Pulse Wireless Activity and Heart Rate Tracker - Black (Sports)

I've tried the Jawbone UP, the Nike Fuelband and a couple of the Fitbit range. I finally settled on the Fitbit one, which I have been using since they were launched, and I rate it very highly. However I decided I wanted to unify my activity/weight tracking and as I already have a Withings Blood pressue monitor and the old Withings body scale the Pulse seemed like a natural switch.

Having used it for almost a week now I think it is a good product but I still prefer my Fitbit. Here's why:

- I suffer from very high blood pressure so I have to remain active as part of a system for treating it. I therefore walk a lot and use my activity tracker as a way of motivating myself to keep active. I usually manage 12000 or more steps a day. With the fitbit I can set my steps at any level (currently 13000) to motivate myself to achieve a higher goal than my average. The Pulse has a set level of 10,000 steps which cannot be altered. While it does count steps higher than this of course, it considers you have reached your goal when it gets to 10000. In my case not very motivational.

- I also don't sleep very much (I average about 6 hours a night) however this is usually enough for me as long as the sleep quality is good (i.e. most of it deep sleep). The Pulse has its own notion of how much sleep I need - it is set at 8 to 9 hours and anything less is considered to be not achieving your goal. The Fitbit allows me to set my goal and is thus much more flexible.

- The fitbit also allows you much more flexibility when it comes to editing. So, for example, if I go to sleep and forget to start my tracking I can go into my records later and add a sleep record. Because I am always wearing the tracker I can still see the quality of my sleep which is what i am ultimately interested in. With the Pulse if you forget to manually start sleep mode thats ir you are left with a blank sleep record. Disappointing.

- I think Fitbit's concept of counting 'floors' rather than absolute height makes more sense for me since I am office-bound and thus actually climb floors rather than hills or mountains (but that's specific to my type of usage)

- Finally the iOS app is a mess - the interface is cluttered to say the least. Someone should look at making it much simpler to get information at a glance. For example the 'heat map' on the website gives a great overview of your weekly habits - this should be incorporated into the app (it could appear when you turn your device into landscape for example).

So what do I like about it?
- Pulse tracking is nice (and seems accurate enough - possibly not medical grade but certainly good enough for home use)
- Small and light
- Easy to set up
- Nice to be able to see some historical data right on the device
- Syncing is easy and seems reliable so far
- Battery life is good (although, to be fair, the Fitbit is better)
- No special charging cable is needed, pretty much any micro-USB cable will work - this is a big plus as a lot of other trackers including the fitbit use some kind of proprietary charging connector.

So all in all a good device but to take the top spot from the Fitbit one (and thus be a great device) I think it needs the following:

1 - More flexibility on the device and in the app
- allow us to set our own targets for sleep and steps
- allow us to edit our sleep records

2 - Add the 'heat map' to the app

2 - Make the UI on the app simpler/less cluttered

Regarding my rating I would give the Fitbit one 4.5 out of 5 and the Pulse 3.5 our of 5 but as Amazon don't do half points I've rounded up to,a slightly-generous, 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice device, but not perfect, 14 Nov. 2013
Dr. Michael Heron (Robert Gordon University) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was initially a little skeptical about the Withings Pulse, but after using it for several days I am sold. To use the Withings Pulse you need to have an iPhone or android smartphone: there is no option to transfer and store your data on a website, only a phone app. Transfer is via Bluetooth and occasionally it fails to sync, which can be more than a little frustrating. The instructions could also be improved as they are somewhat vague at times.

The device is tiny, weighs next to nothing, and is easy to carry around in a pocket. It is also very stylish and well-built. At first, I was reasonably underwhelmed. The device counts the number of steps you take, but I already have a cheap pedometer which can do that. It does however also work out if you go up and down hills or stairs, which is nice additional information. And the ability to take a pulse rate reading at any time is great. This is not always accurate though. The first reading I took said 167 beats per minute! (I was not and had not recently been exercising.). I took another reading 15 seconds later and it said 67 beats per minute which is more likely to be correct. It also gave me one reading of 47 beats per minute which seems dubious (my resting heart rate is around 55 - 57 beats per minute). This is a nice feature, but I still wasn't sure it justified the price especially given the wide variation in readings.

I got more impressed when I used it with the well made and exceptionally comfortable wrist strap to monitor my sleep patterns. It can correctly tell how long it takes me to get to sleep, how much time I spend awake (I woke up one night for an hour when using it and it has this correctly recorded) and how much time I spend in light sleep and deep sleep, showing my sleep cycles. This seems much more accurate than the cheap iPhone app I had previously tried using, and in my mind justifies the additional cost over a pedometer and cheap heart rate monitor.

I have a few quibbles with the app more than the device, as it is pretty inflexible. It won't let me choose my own goals for hours of sleep or activity level. It doesn't record my Cross Fit sessions and won't let me enter them, and if I wear it when cycling it assumes I am just walking slowly so doesn't really count that properly either. So it demands I walk or run for 150 minutes a week, without taking into account my other activities. The app also does not allow you to enter weight or body fat readings directly: to use this and the weight goal feature you must purchase the Withings scales. These are expensive, and as I already have Tanita body fat scales I see no need to replace them. A little more flexibility in the app, and the ability to sync more fully with myFitnessPal so you can work out exactly what you should be eating given your basal metabolic rate, and activity for that day, would make this perfect.

At present, I am happy to recommend the Withings Pulse and plan to continue using it. It would just be nice if I could integrate it with data from my heart rate monitor and body fat scales for a more complete picture of my general health.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good activity tracker, 24 Aug. 2013
Lobstonicus "Ageing Gamer" (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is my first activity tracker. I considered the Fitbit One & Flex and Jawbone Up. I didn't want a unit that goes on your wrist as that seems inherently inaccurate, so that was the Up and Flex out. I was about ready to buy the Fitbit One and then the Pulse appeared, which seemed to do a bit more than the others and was a European company to boot, so I bought one. And overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. I've had it for a week now.

The unit itself is surprisingly small and light, yet seems to be well made. It has a slightly silicon-rubber type feel to the surface which I like, but which I was a bit dubious of at first as it didn't seem like it would be robust. No signs of wear so far, though.

It's very simple to use, having only a single button and a touch screen. Press the button once to wake it up & switch between functions. Hold the button for three seconds to make it sync data with your phone. I've had no problems with responsiveness of the touch screen which others have mentioned. The display is nice, though unreadable in bright outdoor light, but that's not a problem for me.

It seems quite accurate - I checked it and over the course of 1200 steps, it was only 4 out which seems acceptable to me. It will count bogus steps when you're in the car (and I would guess that all activity trackers will do this, due to the movement of the car) but not enough that it makes a real difference to your daily total. It would be nice to have a 'pause' function though to stop it counting (although there's always the risk that you'd forget to unpause it again). I have a separate blood pressure monitor and the pulse measurement from that and the Pulse have always been in close agreement. The sleep tracking is interesting but, of course, is based on your movement, so if you lie in bed completely still it will think you're asleep. Having said that, it seems to pretty accurately track my nightly activities. I'm surprised to find that I sleep more than I thought I do each night.

The app for iPhone is quite nice and syncing between the two devices has been very reliable (once the firmware had updated on installation). Integration with other apps (I use Runkeeper and MyFitnessPal) works well too. It's nice that the Withings app gives you one place to look at everything, although the ability to overlay some of the data would be nice.

The supplied belt clip seems a bit flimsy at first but is actually quite robust. It has a silicon rubber finish as well which does attract dust but seems pretty easy to clean. The Pulse feels secure when it's in the clip. The wrist strap for wearing at night has a pleasantly soft feel but could be more robust. It's made of layers of a neoprene-like substance and after only a single use, the layers started to separate at either side of the pouch where the Pulse sits allowing the Pulse to slip out. I've effected a temporary repair with double-sided tape but it's a bit unsatisfactory. I contacted Withings support about the problem but a week later I've had no response. I could take it back to the retailer (not Amazon - they were mucking around with the release date) but have been waiting for stocks to be more reliable.

In summary:

Pros:
* Nicely made, accurate activity tracker
* Attractive iPhone app
* Reliable wireless data syncing
* Good integration with other apps
* Useful set of functions

Cons:
* Sleep strap could be more robust
* Maker's support function isn't responsive

I would give this five stars, but it loses one star for the faulty wrist strap and another for the support function not responding. Overall, though, I'd recommend it.

UPDATE: a few days after I wrote the above, Withings responded to my support request apologising for the slow response (they've had a lot of requests, apparently). They said they would ship me a replacement wrist strap. So I'm restoring the star they lost for slow support. If I could give the Pulse 4 and a half stars, I would.

UPDATE 2: Withings did indeed ship a replacement strap - it came within a week of their email. The second strap is fine - I've been wearing it every night for the last month plus without problems. The first strap must have been a duff one. Withings continue to update the firmware on the Pulse and the iOS app to add new features, the latest being a summary graph of calorie intake/output data from MyFitnessPal. I continue to be a happy user.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality control issues ?, 17 Sept. 2013
The reason I only give 2 stars is because of the issues we had with one of them. The one bought for me has worked fine ( apart from being flaky on syncing at times ) . However the one that my wife started using developed a fault within a few days that resulted in the touch "screen" not working at all. So we returned it and asked for a replacement. The replacement worked OK ( albeit with flaky syncing ) until it stopped syncing altogether. Withings posted a "solution" on their website which involved a total hardware reset ( losing all un synced data ) . tried this several times but it would noy sync. Returned it again and asked for a replacement but was told that Amazon do not replace more than once.

So I now have one that functions as it should and a refund. Pretty disappointed .

I don't think the phone app does justice to the wealth of data that the device can collect - maybe it will improve with time.

DO I risk ordering again in a few weeks ?!

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down, 25 Aug. 2014
I researched before I brought this product - alas it ended up as a waste of money so much for my research!!

I chose this product specifically because I could read the information without having to sync to anything and it also logged distances climbed - to motivate me using the stairs

To begin with the device wouldn't let me recharge it but the helpdesk came up with the old solution of turning it off and turning it back on again which worked.

The device worked sufficiently well for the next couple of months or so and really motivated me to get moving. The tracker did exaggerate my run distances but that is probably because I have a small stride pattern but I know how far I was running so I wasn't relying on that information.

Then the activity seized up on the sleep mode, again I contacted the helpdesk and I had to wait for the unit to fully discharge to turn itself off before I could reset it, as the unit was fully charged I waited for well over a week before I could use it again - at least it lives up to it's expectations in regards to holding it's charge but I then had a gap in my activity information.

The wristband started to come off at night, not sure if I move about too much but I would end up having to search for it each morning and that also meant my sleep tracking information was incomplete.

It worked for another month and then I noticed the display setting had lines going through it and wasn't very clear. Later that week on a run it popped out of the holder and was never seen again....

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps crashing and losing data, 29 Jun. 2014
S. Williams (Finland) - See all my reviews
First of all, I generally love Withings products and have been using their scales without a hitch for years. The Pulse, however, was a disappointment. I used it for five days and not a single day's activities were fully and completely recorded. At least once a day I would pull the Pulse out of my pocket, press the button, see that nothing was happening, press the button again (it is not at all difficult to fail to press it hard enough the first time around) and see the dreaded "Hello!" on the screen, followed by a daily step count reset to 0 and time set to 3.00am. Sometimes I got lucky and the Pulse had uploaded the data to the app in a scheduled upload cycle before crashing, but most often it had not. It was particularly frustrating to wake up in the morning and press the button to switch the sleep mode off, only to be greeted with "Hello!" and no overnight data whatsoever.
When the data was present, it was accurate and interesting, particularly the sleep analysis. I currently get up several times a night due to a small baby, and this had been accurately recorded. However, the reliability of the device was far too poor to even consider continuing its use. Withings customer service has been unresponsive about this issue, so I gave up and got a refund instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate, 6 Feb. 2014
Steps are not counted accurately. I was on a treadmill and the Pulse constantly provided incorrect reading
Sleep strap - After 2 months already falls off
Heartbeat - Again inaccurate
Data - You cannot delete any incorrect lines. Pulse fell off and said I had 18 hours sleep, this then ruined your overall stats.

Withings - Try harder! And give those of us who bought the Pulse money off any future, improved product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great tech, bad packaging, 22 Aug. 2014
Excellent piece of technology, let down by a hopelessly inadequate belt clip. I used the pulse for 8 days and thought it was fantastic. On day nine, it escaped from the flimsy rubber belt clip it was supplied with, to be lost forever. Net cost of £10 per day to use a pedometer doesn't strike me as good value. I do however have a second hand rubber belt clip to sell, barely used, if anyone's interested?

1.0 out of 5 stars Five star product which only deserves one star due to a flaw, 19 Jun. 2014
Gurpreet Anand (Harrow, UK) - See all my reviews
I really loved my Withings Pulse for the few days I had it. However like other users the Pulse fell out of its holder at some point and we parted company. I do miss the Pulse, but I won't be forking out more money on a replacement. The device itself is very accurate and worked really well with the Withings App.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as is made out, 5 Oct. 2013
J. Campbell - See all my reviews
Disappointed with this gadget, as a pedometer its very good but pretty expensive for this feature alone, but this one doesn't do the sleep monitoring that it claims. I have tried and tried many times but I cannot get it to work. Yet is synchronises fine with the programme through the phone Unable to recommend it.