5.0 out of 5 stars Altered State ?? A MASTER PIECE !!
Being a fan of TesseracT, I will admit I had HUGE expectations with this second LP. I consider the suite " Concealing Fate" as one of the most inspiring piece of progressive rock music since "A change of season".
Well, in a nutschell, ALTERED STATE is a mind blowing MASTERPIECE.
To sum up, I would go like this :
- Music : flawless tunes , very well...
Published on 1 Jun. 2013 by MrPolaris3

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Good music, may the singer's voice is a little too sharp for my taste.
Published 1 month ago by AS1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Altered State ?? A MASTER PIECE !!, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Altered State (Audio CD)
Well, in a nutschell, ALTERED STATE is a mind blowing MASTERPIECE.
To sum up, I would go like this :
- Music : flawless tunes , very well balanced and on top ADDICTING
- Ashe O' Hara 's voice : wonderfull, powerfull and beautifull
- Progressive Density : this LP could be labelled as Top Notch Progressive music , ie : the songs don't go towards 10 musical directions at the same time
- Production : simply astonishing. Ackle and Amos accomplished a great work here. It's spacial, dense, tight and refreshing. In my opinion, the mixing treatment on Drums is fantastic.

The album is a MUST buy. I woud add also that LIVE, TesseracT is a terrific experience. The overall sound of the Band is unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game changer, 31 May 2013
LM BUTCHER (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Altered State (Audio CD)
Maybe I don't get out enough but Altered State strikes me as major turning point in the rock/metal scene. It's grandiose but taut; complex yet melodic; ground-breaking and yet familiar. It is, quite simply, a sensation and should be heard to be believed because it's a real treat. I'll refrain from analogising, and just hope you listen to Altered State without any preconceptions; it's one of the most rewarding listens from one of the freshest bands to emerge in decades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 7 Jun. 2013
Hood (Aylesbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Altered State (MP3 Download)
Tesseract's first album was incredible so they had to pull out all of the stops to produce anything of that quality with their second album. Having lost their original singer I was concerned that his replacement (ignoring the first replacement who was dreadful) wouldn't be able match the quality.

Within one listen of this new album I had nothing to worry about. It's simply stunning on all levels. The new singer is superb and the songs are so well crafted that you'll get something new every time you listen to it. Tesseract have produced a work of genius here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality!, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Altered State (MP3 Download)
Outstanding piece of work by our home grown boys. 100% top notch from start to finish. I'd urge anyone who likes this genre to buy it.... You won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 22 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Altered State (Audio CD)
This is my favorite album at the moment, here's why:

Ashe O'Hara's voice is amazing. His range is huge and his ability to put expression into every phrase is truly awesome.

Both the technical and musical aspects of the instrumental work is very impressive. Guitars are tight, Bass has it's own space in the frequency spectrum where it can take up as much space as it likes. The drums are complex, without going ott with fills. The 'progressive' themes of irregular time signatures and metre changes are obviously present, but not overdone.

The mix is great. I find a lot of metal albums go to loud on the drums and guitar, drowning out the bass and vocals. All the parts of this album have been leveled properly, allowing each to shine through.

The use of ethereal synthesised pads adds a great atmosphere which blends perfectly with the rest of the intruments without giving a rave/trance feel to the tracks.

Chris Barretto features on this album playing saxophone (which really works, surprisingly). HE IS AMAZING!!!

Listen to that tone

Meshuggah!

4.0 out of 5 stars Progressive metal without the shouty, 15 May 2014
Mr. J. Gorman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Altered State (Audio CD)
Tesseract occupy a unique space in the world of contemporary progressive metal, being much more melodic than most of their djenty peers. While much new prog tends now to sound a heck of a lot like all the other prog metal, Tesseract have carved out their own more approachable sound - with simpler and more accessible compositions, and vocals and instrumental lines that your granny might like. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and if you like your prog metal complicated and growly-screamy than tracks with soulful saxophone solos are probably not going to be for you. But I don't know many people - metal fans or just music lovers - who don't like this album when I've put it on in the background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing., 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Altered State (Audio CD)
I am an avid music fan having 300gig of music on my computer and 100's of cds in collection. however this is my first amazon review and with this band i feel the need to give them a shout, to sell, to share the talent that is Tesseract.
I haven't been so bowled over with an amazing album for a long time, but this has got me in a repetitive mood with the mp3 player.

of matter: incredible instrumental playing
of mind: intelligent, unique lyrical mindset
of reality: should be bigger than what they are
of energy: just buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It!, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Altered State (Audio CD)
You simply have to buy this album!
I went to see Protest the Hero at o2 accademy in Birmingham, not knowing who the support acts were, TesseracT were one of them, and when they started they blew me away. So, on arrival home I ordered this album. I was not dissapointed. Having been disolusioned with the current brand of new metal that conforms to the same recipe, this is totally unique. Words can't explain, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 6 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Altered State (Audio CD)
Anyone that is a fan of Tesseract, progressive metal and the so-called 'djent' movement will find this epic and compelling. New vocalist Ashe O'Hara does not disappoint either.

5.0 out of 5 stars A grower for sure., 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Altered State (Audio CD)
At first I wasn't a fan, I missed the harsh vocals and heaviness, but after a few play throughs, it really started to grow on me, and I started to listen to this more than the album before it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›