4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection
I agree with most of the other review. Well done, Charly indeed.
Published 12 months ago by pete melvets

3.0 out of 5 stars Scene but not heard !
Firstly I can say for absolute certain the cover photograph is NOT the Scene club. The Scene was dark , with no fittings ,like pictures etc, plain walls painted matt black, no real tables or chairs, a few scatter cushions around the outside wall. We mostly sat on or around the stage.
Published 2 months ago by B. Elder

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection, 24 April 2013
I agree with most of the other review. Well done, Charly indeed.
My only complaint concerns the cover picture of a bunch of mods dancing. Now, I'm sure that's not the Scene Club! If anyone's got a copy of 'Mods!' by Richard Barnes they'll be able to prove me right or wrong. Unfortunately I loaned my copy to one of my daughter's teenage friends so will probably never see it again, but that same photo is in that book and it will tell you in the back where it was taken. I'm sure it's not the Scene though! Answers on a plain postcard, please!
I think a far better photo would have been that one of Mikey Tenner, one of the top faces of the era, looking like he's whizzing off his t**s, dancing with Sandy Sargent (who married Ian Maclagan of the Small Faces)in the Scene Club.
Hair splitting perhaps, but mod is all about attention to detail, n'est ce pas?
Otherwise, good collection, and along with that 'Looking Good' double LP of a few years ago, one of the best mod compilations around.
2/5/13 Ignore my complaint. It IS the Scene Club! (tThanks Dogrobber!)
20/08/13 It's NOT the Scene Club, it's a pub in London! (thanks Barry!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Scene but not heard !, 23 Jan 2014
B. Elder "Mod Zeb 1967" (Australia) - See all my reviews
Musically this cd brought back next to no memories for me of the Scene. A few track popular on the Mod scene and the clubs in and outside of London but not evocativatly "The Scene". Had it been the most popular tunes at the Scene you'd have Garnell Cooper and the Kinfolks "Green Monkey" , Bobby Petersons Quintet " The Hunch" ,Lee Allen "Cat Walk",and Jimmy Smiths "Any Number Can Win"..Slide in any other US track from 1963 to 66 and you'll get an idea. I can't remember the Scene still going in 1966 though. The Mod scene was all but gone by then.

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD is the business - Five Stars, 20 April 2013
Maknight "Mikeek" (Portsmouth) - See all my reviews
"The Scene Club" CD features early Soul and R&B tracks that would have been played by Guy Stevens down at the Ham Yard. Firstly the CD arrives as a hard back book format, so you do not get a normal CD, and the feel and look of the CD is brilliant. So first impressions is this CD looks the business, the front picture sold it to me regardless of the tracks. My only niggle with these Formats is i have only taken the CD out once and already one of the middle clips that holds the CD in place has snapped.

So to the music, I am assuming that if you are reading this then you have some idea of what this CD is all about (and also the companion CD). Yes there are a couple of tracks that always gets comped, but the CD covers a wide range of familiar and unfamiliar songs, if you know your stuff then there wont be any surprises in terms of track selection, or you may have them on other compilations (or the original vinyl). But the flow of the tracks is nicely done, starting with Betty Everett. Baby Washington, Roscoe Shelton and "Question". Familiar tracks would be Don Gardener, Ike And Tina Turner, Wilbert Harrison, Dixie Cups and Lazy Lester, plus others but ...just listen to Alvin Robinson sing "Let The Good Times Roll", Jimmy Reed, Johnny Nash Harold Burrage, and the great Derrick & Patsy "Housewives Choice". In all this CD is great addition to any collection, definitely recommend getting this CD. Nice one Charly !!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Addition to your R&B Collection, 29 Sep 2013
Though not quite up there with Kents excellent "New Breed" series of 50s and 60s R&B rarities this is still a worthy addition by Charly comprising of familiar R&B, Blues and Soul standards (A Fool in Love, Shake a Tail Feather, Lets Get Together, Iko Iko, Land of a 1000 Dances, Let the Good Times Roll) and more obscure tracks such as the brilliant I've Got a Claim on You, Mister Bang Bang Man, Oh Mom, See About Me and Question. In addition, the album comes in a hardcover gatefold sleeve with a 24 Page Booklet with Photos & Liner notes attached inside.

4.0 out of 5 stars We are the MODS!, 20 Jun 2013
Authentic. Evocative. One or two tracks that are a bit overtly bubble gummish, dated and twee for my tastes. However the belters more than make up for them. Dance floor movers, hip shakers, and shufflers of the highest quality. Find yourself a Soul 'do', put your ox blood loafers on and forget that your 48 and overweight if only for a few hours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the scene picture, 12 Jun 2013
I'm pretty sure the front cover is not of the scene club , i believe it to be the Derby Arms , East Sheen, any way the cd itself is pretty accurate to what was played at the scene although as a regular there, there are about 10 tracks that i dont recognise or remember.But on the whole a good purchase if you dont have many of the tracks on other cd's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old mod, 3 Jun 2013
Great album. Would recommend it. Write up about the mod scene interesting but a lot of regurgitated stuff still okay and takes you back to those good times. Great sounds though

ARRAY(0xb156424c)