5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

Published 13 months ago by John W. Edelman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 24 Jan 2013
Amazon Customer "traceyann" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I own most of these 2 disc 'record label' compilations from 'One Day Music' and this is one of the very best (ABC-Paramount, Columbia and Parlophone are also top notch). Colpix (founded in 1958) seem to have more of a commercial sound than many of the smaller independant labels. There's a good mix of Teen Pop, Girl sounds, Doo Wop and Instro's across the 2 discs. Many of the labels main acts get 3 or 4 tracks - Nina Simone, The Marcels, Paul Petersen, Shelley Fabares, James Darren, The Ronettes and there's even two tracks from one of the greatest songwriters/producers of the period - Teddy Randazzo. Overall this compilation has great sound quality - nice, crisp and clear. The flow of this compilation is very good, there are only a few tracks that aren't to my taste out of the 50. As usual with these `One Day Music' compilations there's no booklet but there's a one sided introduction to the labels history and writing credits. Overall, an excellent compilation of late 50's early 60's sounds. Highly recommended. 9.5/10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes There's A Reason Why You've Never Heard Of A Track Before..., 11 Mar 2013
John W. Edelman - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
... and the Colpix Story is a case in point. Yes, it's got some really great tracks: Blue Moon by The Marcels, Chilly Winds Don't Blow by Nina Simone and (and I'm aware I'm contradicting myself slightly here) Save Those Teardrops by Bobby Adams (No, I hadn't either). But really? "Sports Car Sally", "My Colouring Book" and, Lord save me, "She Can't Find Her Keys". It's often been said that the period covered by this compilation- between the aftershock of Rock and Roll's debut and the coming of The Beatles, was one of the poorest of the modern music era and if this was the only compilation available for 59-62 it would be case proven. (Mother Goose Twist anyone?)
Look, it's only around a fiver and there are some good tracks and some interesting items, such as early, pre-Spector Ronettes recordings, and as such makes an interesting historical document, but unless you were there and have pangs of nostalgia whenever you hear Gidget Goes Hawaian or Staying Up Late, or want many great examples of just how much The Beatles were NEEDED in 1962 it's probably not worth buying this over the really, really great Stax- Wait A Minute -The Stax & Satellite Story (1959-1962) or Sue-Sticks And Stones- The Sue Records Story (1957-1962)- compilations One Day have out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decidedly Mixed Bag but Also Nina Simone, 5 Mar 2014
Richard Newbold (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Another bargain compilation including the mega-hit "Blue Moon" by the Marcels (I was so surprised year later that it wasn't an original!). Colpix had some cracking artists in its stable at the turn of the 1960s like the Ronettes, but also prone to putting out annoying little knock-offs of the dreaded novelty song, then so much in vogue. These discs include both so it's a warts an' all selection, but cheap as chips if you're quick enough on the FF button!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 Mar 2013
Bought these as a gift, it was a hit. some unusual songs that brought memories back, would have paid more. but the quality of this was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS, 8 Mar 2013
great sounds of the time, even if some of the tracks are a bit alike. still an excellent listen for fans of that time.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will be a treat for my ears ., 18 Jan 2013
Howard Griffiths (Radio station gtfm 107.9 or www.gtfm.co.uk tune in and enjoy) - See all my reviews
Colpix recordings were never on my record shop counter .Blue moon ,Johnny Angle & Goodbye Cruel World
were about the only one's we got here via PYE International the rest just names listed here in The American BILLBOARD TOP 100 . I'll take a long shot gamble and give it 5*'s in my rating ,it in the post and I'll be back to give you my full review then , unless some avid gets in before I do .

ARRAY(0xb4f031c8)