NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Mini Me EDG305 Coffee Capsule Machine - Black and White - EDG305.WB
Colour: Black and WhiteChange
Price:£49.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 2 December 2013
This piece of kit is small, tidy, extremely smart appearance. Takes up very little room on a worktop in a kitchen and requires very very little cleaning. It is extremely easy to use and prepares delicious beverages within minutes. So far I've had the americano and cappuccino pods and I am simply delighted with the taste and quality of the drinks. Ive always wanted a coffee machine and never knew which one to get. I read a lot of reviews about this particular one and I am pleased to say I have found them true to their word. A previous review reported that their drinks were slightly cold - this was not the case when I have used the machine. Hope this is helpful - if you are thinking of buying one of these machines they are extremely good value for money and produce delicious drinks.
on 1 December 2014
Having recently persuaded someone to buy this as my (early ) Christmas present I was excited to open it and then bemused by the contents. The instructions for a different ( yet similar) machine were included which only served to confuse a newbie such as myself. I had never really come across one of these before so found I had no common sense. Trying to understand the diagrams was my first headache- do we have to measure out that amount of water? do we have to peel the lids off? when used can the pods be re- used? So for any other people in my position here is my advice based on everything I have learned.
You just fill up the tank - the clever machine works out how much water to take based on how many bars you select using the lever ( suggestions are in the diagrams for the pods), you don't peel off the pod lids as the clever machine pierces them when you pull down the lever and you can't use the pods again ( though you can leave it in and run a bit more water through but that will affect the taste!)
The best advice is to go to the Dolce Gusto site and print off the correct manual ( unless I was the only one to have the wrong one in the box). Also their site seems to have the cheapest way of buying the pods ( especially the fancy multi pod ones) apart from a few deals on here ( if you want 3 packets of one flavour) and of course the £10 off code included with the deal is your first introduction to the site ( though you need to spend some money too as there is a minimum 4 packets/£20 if you want free postage.
I have now had a grande and a cappuchino both of which I thoroughly enjoyed and others in the family have had the chocolate drink. For £29 ( from another retailer which delivered for free the next day!) it was a bargain though I seemed to have spent £60 more on pods, latte glasses and a contraption to put the pods in - but I have enjoyed every minute treating myself!!
on 28 November 2014
Absolutely love this! Small and compact, with an attractive design, albeit a little plasticky. Takes up very little worktop space. I bought it when it was on offer for £29 which was an amazing deal. Very easy to use, with no mess, my 10 year old can even use it to make her own hot chocolate which is great. The pods themselves could be a bit cheaper. It does work out at around 50p per cup (if you use the 2 pod milk varieties, which I do). Would be cheaper for Americano or espresso drinkers. However, you can get 3 packs of 16 pods for £9.99 on amazon, and if you subscribe and save, they can be as low as £8.49. As for buying elsewhere for comparision, they are £3.99 per pack of 16 in the Co Op. You do get a £10 voucher with the machine to spend on the Dolce-Gusto website, so can buy a few packs of pods with it. Make sure you follow the instructions on the pack, as each type of coffee requires a different setting for coffee to water ratio. Get it wrong and your drink will taste like dishwater! Don't let that put you off, as the settings are very easy to use with the selector on the front, and are pictured on every pod for you to see clearly.
review image
on 12 November 2014
I was given a more expensive model as a gift and it never made a hot cup of coffee, it began to leak from the bottom, so I rang as it was just under the 2 yrs. I was told to descale it, which I did but after a few cups of coffee it started to leak again. We don't drink much coffee but really liked the coffee flavours this produced. I got round the not so hot coffee by warming the cups first.
However the machine started to leak again, and by now was out of warranty. When I rang Customer Service I was told the cost to look at it would be £50 so wouldn't be cost effective to get repaired. As I had a lot of pods left to use up I purchased this model in the sale. Well it produced hot coffee right from the start. It is compact and fits nicely on the worktop ready to use. I would not have bought one of these again after my first experience, but now I'm glad that I did. It is a shame I did not get the first one dealt with under warranty as it was obviously faulty right from the start! So if your machine is not making hot coffee and leaking, get it dealt with under warranty and don't get fobbed off with descaling it....!!
on 19 December 2013
this machine is so easy to use and makes a wonderful hot or cold drink...doesnt take up too much space either...
on 23 October 2013
This is the first coffee machine I have owned and I am very impressed with it.

Its small and compact and looks great on the kitchen counter, and the coffee tastes great.

Milky coffees like cappuccinos and lattes require 2 pods (one coffee one milk) where as regular americanos just take one, so with the approximate price of a box of 16 pods at Tesco costing £3.70, a milky coffee will cost about 50p and a black coffee 25p, which I think is excellent value as they taste so nice!

The machine takes under a minute to make your drink and requires very little cleaning.

Overall I think this product is excellent! You get 4 different coffees with the machine, can't wait to try some of the other varieties.
on 12 December 2014
Great machine, i have another NESCAFÉ machine, an old larger version that although looks more expensive than the mini me, it was too clunky to have in the kitchen, difficult to clean and constantly got jammed.
This on the other hand is totally different, its very light and easy to move around. That helps a lot with cleaning it and its extremely simple to use. The black and white looks great and what i like most that doesn't actually have anything to do with the machine is the red mains power cord thats on the machine, it looks so cool but anyway thats irrelevant.

This came beautifully packaged with its cardboard protection holders and the relevant manual and papers. You also get a box with a few sample pods to try out which i thought was nice and a £10 off code to go on the Nescafe website. Just worth mentioning that if you have never had one of these nescafe pod machines before, i would recommend you research which pods you can get. There aren't a huge selection but there are enough and from most Uk supermarkets, you get 16 pods for £3.75 to make 16 drinks with or some flavours require 2 pods for 1 drink so effectively, its the same price with half the drinks. (hot chocolate, cappuccino etc)

On first use, you're recommended to fill up the water tank (I gave mine a rinse/clean as best as i could), then switch the machine on until the light turns green (May seem to take a while). Without inserting any pods, just pour a cold glass of water with the setting on max. Pour that out and repeat on hot. This should clear out the pipes and make it suitable for use.

Now you are ready to use any pod you want. You will look at the pod label and it will have bars indicating the fill measure, you use that as a guideline on the machine and it will supposedly pour out the ideal volume of liquid for the drink you're using. (I sometimes repeat the process to add a bit more if i think it needs it). Anyway, this is a really nice feature as you can wake up, put the machine on and pod in, flick the switch and then go off to get ready before work or whatever. I find it really useful.

My only fault is that the guideline switch on the front of the machine moves really easily with very little force so i sometimes move it without realising it as i put the pods in and then get the wrong quantity for my drink. Its annoying but i manage it with some guess work.
Another thing ti think about is that this is a mini me, therefore the water tank is really quite small. i always forget to top the water up which gets frustrating but its my fault rather than the machines.

Thoroughly recommend this machine, especially if you have a small kitchen or not much counter space. It would be ideal.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 November 2014
So far I am incredibly happy with the Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me Machine, and would highly recommend this device to anyone.

Design:
The Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me Machine looks incredibly stylish on my kitchen worktop. I choose this device in Piano Black, however you can purchase it in Black and White or Red and White if you prefer. The Coffee machine has a small and compact design, which fits perfectly on my kitchen worktop. Its also small enough to be placed into a cupboard, if you do not want it on your kitchen worktop. The Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me Machine does feel quite plasticky, however it still feels fairly sturdy and strong. This machine has a 0.8 litre removable water tank, which is clear so you can see how much water remains. So I always know when this drinks maker needs refilling again. On the front, there is also a plastic cup stand, which doubles up as the drip tray. This cup stand can be moved into different positions depending on my cup size. So for example if I want an espresso in a small cup, I will move the cup stand to the top stand.

Features:
The Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me Machine can brew over 30 different drinks, including Mocha, Americano, Grande, Chococino Caramel, Tea Latte, Espresso, Cappuccino, and many more. I purchase the drinking pods in bulk from Amazon, as they work out cheaper than buying them from the supermarket. This Mini Me machine also has a 15 bar pump pressure, which basically means that it can make your drinks like the way you would find them in a coffee shop. The Mini Me machine can create my favourite beverages in a mater of seconds, with very little mess. So once I have finished brewing my drinks, I have very minimal cleaning afterwards, which is always an added bonus.

Performance:
The Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me Machine is very easy and simple to use. As I mentioned before, this machine needs virtually no cleaning up afterward, most of the time I just wipe down the machine with a cloth, and rinse out the capsule holder. This machine is fairly loud during operation, with a degree of vibration. However the vibration is not enough to make the cup dance around on the drip tray. This Mini Me Machine produced surprisingly good results for most drinks. For example, the espresso capsule produces a creamy, golden brown drink, which tasted near perfect.

Overall:
Overall I absolutely love my Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me Machine, as it produces drinks that taste near perfect and its very easy to use.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 March 2014
Love real coffee and to get it at home is a bonus. Its a weekend treat one downside I have problems removing the water container.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Colour: Red And WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Mini Me looks very stylish and certainly will not look out of place sitting on show in any kitchen. The unit comes with a 'taster' selection of capsules and , based on our local experience, a wide range of capsules is available from the usual large supermarket chains.

We have had a Tassimo coffee maker for a year now (a competing system made by Bosch and using Kraft coffee capsules e.g. Carte Noir, Cadbury, Kenco, Costa etc) and our opinion is also based on comparison with regular use of that system.

The water container is easily filled, albeit a relatively small 0.8l capacity but ideal for producing a smaller number of drinks.

Unlike the Tassimo which has a built in bar code reader and is fully automatic, you have to manually set a control on the Mini Me for the recommended size of drink but that is no great hardship.

The first shock came however on switching the unit on. It is much, much noisier than theTassimo. In fact, so noisy that we wondered (and still do) whether ours is perhaps defective.

Second issue is a very strong vibration that actually caused a latte glass to slither slowly off the drip tray.

Another potential issue for some is that the unit cannot take tall glasses for although it is just tall enough, the front of the main body behind the drip tray actually slopes outwards from the base up. This makes it very difficult to position a tall glass so that the base of the glass ( and some glasses have wide bases) actually fits on the drip tray. Of course, on our example, you actually have to hang on to the glass to stop the vibrations slowly moving it off the drip tray completely. No such problems however with mugs and an average sized mug and glass both coped perfectly well with the drinks we tested. Just watch the size of drink produced.

The drinks themselves drew a mixed response but, in fairness, that is the same with any coffee making system. Chococino was however a firm favourite with all!

Another issue( but only to some) was that the Mini Me's drinks were less hot than those prepared by the Tassimo. Again, some preferred this, others didn't.The Mini Me was however very quick to heat up and just as fast as the Tassimo.

A significant irritant to us was that the capsules filled with and retained water and,as they are pierced top and bottom by the Mini Me, then proceeded to leak as soon as they were removed from the coffee maker. Be warned, dispose of them quickly or at least temporarily drop them in a cup etc.

Final issue was that the Mini Me dripped for 2-3 minutes longer than the Tassimo and required more cleaning.

All in all, slightly disappointing compared to the Tassimo and the noise and vibration were very surprising and perhaps indicative of a rogue machine. The Mini Me is certainly compact and stylish and the various coffees tried were as popular/ unpopular as competing machines but I would recommend that you carefully compare this unit versus competitors before committing and experience it in action if possible.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...