4.0 out of 5 stars Good but just a little disappointing, 14 Oct. 2013
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery (Audio CD)
Safe and Sound is clearly the stand out track on this CD, and I bought the album on the strength of that highly infectious tune. This is definitely feel-good music, and the group reminds me of Hall and Oates, but with a slightly heavier reliance on synths rather than guitars. A couple of the tracks strike me as album fillers, but by and large the lead synths are catchy and the synth bass lines equally appealing. If you recall Hall and Oates fondly, I don't think Capital Cities would disappoint. Safe and Sound is such a great single, that I suppose the rest of the CD was bound to pale a little by comparison, but most of the other tracks here are good enough to merit a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Capital Cities, 26 Oct. 2013
A. Hansen (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery (Audio CD)
Found the band on youtube and when I discovered more of their music I decided to buy the album - I did NOT regret at all. I really love the cover and all the music!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best new bands in the last years!, 18 Dec. 2014
Fantastic Music. This deluxe edition contains some remixes, not all of them as good as the originals, but still recomendable. Just waiting for the second step, as the expectations are very high after such a great beginning. Safe and sound is one of the best Electronic/Pop songs from the past 5 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 4 April 2014
I. Kalk (Estonia) - See all my reviews
It is one of the best record and I can strongly recommend it to everyone. It's pure pleasure to listen!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, but live it sounds massive, 10 Dec. 2013
Paul Allaer (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery (Audio CD)
I recently saw Capital Cities in concert (more on that later). I bought this album when it just came out in June as it was on one of the CD listening stations at my local independent record store here in Cincinnati. I had never heard of them, but a quick sample of the songs was enough to convince me I just had to have this. It hasn't left my CD player at home much since then.

"In A Tidal Wave of Mystery" (12 tracks; 43 min.) starts off with the now all-too familiar "Safe and Sound" single, which of course is a great tune. I must say I was quite surprised when that tune broke massively on mainstream commercial radio and made it into a Billboard top 10 hit. (So much the better for the band.) But this album is so much more that the radio single. "Kangaroo Court" seems like another radio-ready tune. "I Sold My Bed, But Not My Stereo" is as much fun for the lyrics as it is for the tune. "Center Stage" is one of the songs that so vividly recalls the 1980s. The good tracks keep coming one after another. "Tell Me How To Live" is another massive sing-along. The album falters a bit at the very end (I could've done without the closer "Love Away").

In October I saw Capital Cities in concert for the first time at the Corona Capital music festival in Mexico City (the Mexican equivalent of Coachella). The band played a mid-afternoon set in the blazing sunshine, but it didn't stop them from bringing the beat, and the heat, and the fun. The massive crowd ate it up and it became one ginormous dance party. The guys played mostly from this album, and live it sounded better and more massive than on the album. Interestingly the band included 3 choice covers in their set: the Bee Gees' "Staying Alive", and Madonna's "Holiday", which are rather obvious choices. But the band opened their set with a cover of... Pink Floyd's "Breathe"! I couldn't believe it and couldn't have been more charmed and impressed. Capital Cities brought the best set of the festival for me. Meanwhile "In A Tidal Wave of Mystery" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and it surely won't be long before the US is under a tidal wave of Capital Cities fever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill!!!!, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery (Audio CD)
Good luck to these guys with these tunes, super driving sounds! All tracks are good and worthy of the 5 stars!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of scissor sisters, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery (Audio CD)
Very catchy tunes have you bopping along in the car! Saw it on Sunday brunch and liked it so much I had to look it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars MGMT Meets The Feeling, 31 Dec. 2014
If you like MGMT or The Feeling, youll like this cd probably the best known track is Kanageroo Court, which is used on a certain advert, followed by the single Safe And Sound, my one quibble with this album is it is a bit samey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful bunch of songs, 21 July 2013
I know comparisons are odious but they remind me of THE MARY ONETTES in a couple of songs. Some people say Daft Punk but no so much to me. Brilliant pop / dance pop. One of the best albums I have listened to this year. A must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fizzing with Musical Energy., 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery (Audio CD)
A real head turning, energetic, melodic pyro-blast. Although the arrangements are 'current', I defy anyone not to love this...

In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery
In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery by Capital Cities (Audio CD - 2013)