5.0 out of 5 stars Classic albums from 1976, 1978 and 1979, 19 Jan 2014
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
I had all of Don's original albums from the seventies on vinyl, together with most of his eighties albums. I am surprised that it has taken so long for these albums to appear on CD and look forward to the release of his early eighties albums.

Having started well as a member of the Pozo Seco Singers (I have some of their music too), Don maintained a consistently high standard throughout the seventies and eighties as a solo singer. Although I loved them all, there were four that I particularly liked above the others of which one is featured here, that being Expressions.

Taking them in order, the set begins with Visions, from 1977. Strangely, only one single was released from the album, that being the country #1 hit Some broken hearts never mend. Several other songs sound like they could have been hits, and other artists took advantage. Janie Fricke (who changed her surname to Frickie because people kept incorrectly pronouncing it Frick) had a country hit with I'll need someone to hold me when I cry, while Rex Allen Junior had a country hit with I'm getting good at missing you. Of the other tracks here, I particularly like Expert at everything and Cup o' tea, which are the last two tracks on the album.

The next album featured is my favourite of the three, Expressions, from 19, 78. It features \don's #1 country hits Tulsa time (later covered by Eric Clapton for his album Bsckless) and It must be love, together with his country #3 hit Lay down beside me. Although Don wrote this song, the first version of the song released was by Kenny Rogers, on his eponymous album that featured Lucille. I have never seen an explanation of why Kenny's version was released first (albeit only as an album track) but stranger things have happened in the music business. The other tracks on Expressions include I would like to see you again (recorded by several country singers including Johnny Cash). Pick of the rest may be All I'm missing is you, but this is a very strong album even by Don's standards.

The final album here is Portraits, from 1979. It yielded the #1 country hit, Love me over again, and the #2 country hit, Good ole boys like me. Again, there are other tracks that were surely considered for single release including the first track, It only rains on me.

Anybody who likes the music of Don Williams and who is interested in more than just the hits will surely enjoy this, even if the booklet notes are a bit rambling.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great compilation., 14 April 2014
CookieCat "Cook" (Stockton, Cleveland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
This is terrific value. A real bonus for DW fans to have 3 albums for the price of one! Even the 'floating vote' would chillout listening to this master of country music - his wonderful, deep, southern states voice gently lulling you into a satisfying state of relaxation.
Worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
Both I and my husband are great Don Williams fans, If you want country music he is the one to start you once you hear one song you will want to hear everything of his.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same as My Previous review., 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
These are another set of good albums, a lot that you cannot find separately, a lot of them cannot be found on separate discs, good value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another value for money, 26 Feb 2014
A. J. Harknett (london,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
Cheap and easy way to get some decent recordings from MR Williams, easy listening and highly recommended buy with confidence .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice of music, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
Don Williams at his best. Great selection of his earlier and better known songs. Very relaxing and enjoyable country listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don Williams CD, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
I have most of Don Williams on vinyl but unfortunately I have nothing to play them on. So having a new cd combining 3 LPs is very cost effective and of course is perfect to listen to

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS CD, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS CD, DID NOT THINK I WOULD BE,WITH IT BEING DON WILLIAMS, GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don Williams Classic, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
I have always been a great fan of Don and this CD is brill. And considering you get three CD in one its excellent value to money. Just try getting hold of the Portrait album on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Visions / Expressions / Portrait (Audio CD)
Am a fan of Don Williams so anything he does is ok with me.

Visions / Expressions / Portrait
Visions / Expressions / Portrait by Don Williams (Audio CD - 2013)