4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price:
While aware that no machine removes all hair permanently, I bought this as I liked the combination of technologies and that no gel is needed. Other reviewers have explained what the machine consists of and how to use it, all I will say is that IT IS INCREDIBLY EASY TO USE.
Published 5 months ago by Lin C- L

Published 14 months ago by uncle barbar

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price:, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Homedics Me My Elos Permanent Hair Reduction Me Plus (Personal Care)
I used the machine once weekly for seven weeks on naturally dark hair on my lower legs, bikini line, underarms and face, using an electric shaver before each treatment.
Results four weeks after treatment are as follows:
Lower Legs: amazingly no dark hairs visible, the few hairs grown back are thinner and golden.
Bikini Line: About 50% grow back, about half thin and golden, half thicker and dark.
Underarms: a good 50% grow back, most still dark, 2-3cm.
Face:About 70% grow back, all thinner, blonde round mouth and chin, darker but not as dark as before towards sides, 2-3cm.
Using me my elos is so much more pleasant than waxing, sugaring, non-electric shaving and depilating and the price balances out saved salon treatment costs. I expect to see improved results after every cycle of treatment and am very pleased with this purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective on white or very pale hair but Philips Lumea is better, 23 July 2013
uncle barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the Homedics most up-to-date permanent hair removal system using two types of heat: pulsed light (IPL)and radio frequency (RF). It appears to be a sturdily built machine. The treatments have a cumulative effect over time and you will need to do `multiple' treatments (according to the instructions). This machine can be used on both face and body. The instructions recommend using a `facial attachment' for the face which is to be purchased separately from the Homedics website but there is no sign of it on there -- and not much else either, not impressed with the website.

For facial treatment, you need to wear the sunbed goggles provided which you can just about see through. (From my experience as an electrologist, facial skin is far more sensitive than body skin so do not zoom straight up onto your face with the setting you use on your body because you probably will get little bit of temporary swelling and reddening.)

The instructions state that you can treat the face without the facial adapter and they give instruction for doing this.

The set comes with a three pin plug ready attached. There are other attachments which can also be purchased separately which remove hair during treatment if required. There is a shaver attachment Me My Elos Syneron Permanent Infra-red Light [Ipl] Laser Radio Frequency [Rf] Hair Removal System SHAVER and an epilator attachment. Homedics Me My Elos Epilator Attachment for Me My Elos Permanent Hair Removal Unit both of which come in at around £40. From reading other review, it appears that, at the time of writing, all three attachments, facial, epilator and shaver can vary in quality and longevity. Fortunately, until these issues are fixed by the manufacturer, you can simply use your current shaver or epilator to achieve the same result.

The instructions for this machine state it is suitable for all skin types except ebony black skin. I was pleased to see that it works on blonde and white (grey) hair also, indeed it states that it works on all hair colours although it states that the epilator attachment is required for naturally light blonde, red or white hair.

Coarse dark hair is treated by the laser component since it absorbs the heat but this is ineffective on blonde or white hairs. This is where the radio frequency comes in. This is designed to damage the follicle, and this is more effective on an empty follicle. However this is not explained in the scant instructions. It does mention that paler hair may need more treatments than dark hair but it might be worth bearing in mind that it might help to epilate first on fair or white hairs.

It is only suitable for men below the neckline so you are not recommended to treat male beards but it is suitable for women below the cheek line.

The hair does not need to be long to be treated, indeed it suggested it should be no longer than 0.5 cm in length. I am using a calibrated bead trimmer to trim to this length before treating. It suggests that for best results, perform the treatment once a week for seven weeks and then do monthly top ups. After treatment, the hairs may remain for up to 2 weeks before falling out and this does not mean the treatment has not worked.

The machine is powered by replaceable cartridges, in theory, meaning that the machine does not `run out' and become useless like other makes. In the past, the cartridges for these machines only lasted for around 90 min of continuous use and were priced at around £40. The set I recieved was labelled as '120,000 flashes' on the box cover slip. These new 'quartz cartridges are the equivalent of 18 cartridges and should be sufficient for the entire process because Homeedics claim they are supposed to last 9 years. If this turns out to be the case, I would tentatively suggest that this system have cornered the market with this new generation machine.

I would advise steering clear of the non quartz machines since these will prove a false economy in the long run.

Who cannot use it:

* It is not suitable for people with light induced epilepsy or migraine (protective goggles are provided and, although they are quite dark, you can just about see through them. It also states you may use sunglasses.)
* It cannot be used on skin which is tanned or burnt from the actual sun, tanning beds or tanning creams. If this is the case, you need to wait two weeks before commencing treatment. After treatment you cannot go into the sun or use a sunbed for 24 hours. Therefore, you may want to purchase the equipment in the autumn.
* It is not to be used during pregnancy or for anyone trying for a baby or breastfeeding.
* It is not to be used over tattoos.
* It is not to be used over birthmarks or moles.
* It is not to be used around the eye area, the scalp, the ears, the nipples, genitalia or around the anus.
* It is not suitable for removing beards on men since it may create an `undesirable hair removal results'.

The treatment itself is quick and easy to perform and perfectly comfortable. For the light to flash, both the metal side bars need to be in contact with the skin. There are three strength settings to chose from. The application is a vast improvement on the hold and press of cheaper machines. I have read these machines have, in the past, had over-heating and burn-out issues, so it might be an idea to bare this mind and allow the machine to cool if heat builds up. You might want to use a timer and stick to the prescribed treatment time for the good of the machine as well as your skin health.

Reading the manual, I have read it twice, it does not appear to suggest the goggles are worn for body treatment, just facial treatment. I have just checked the website and it says the following:

Should I wear eye protection when using mē?

"It is not necessary to wear eye protection when using mē below the neckline. The light flash is similar to that of a professional camera flash, and the three way safety system prevents accidental activation of the elōs pulses. However, when treating the face due to the proximity to the eyes the protective eyewear provided in the facial kit must be worn. NB mē complies with safety standard EN60825-9."

So far I have only performed a test patch. I had no issues with the weakest setting but after upping to the medium setting I felt nothing during the treatment but I did feel a little soreness the following day but there was nothing to see. My skin is fair. I have a tan from all this good weather so I will for this to fade before starting treatment proper. (aunty barbar).

Update March 2014: I had to suspend treatment because it was feeling sore, and I think it was due to my persisting suntan. Either that or my skin is too thin and sensitive for this machine.

Update July 2014: This machine is probably the only one which can tackle white or blonde hair because of the combined technology. However, it is easier to sustain a mild burn with it. This have left me feeling cautious about using it.

Conclusion: I would recommend this machine if you have a big problem with white or blonde hair growth. If your hair growth is dark on pale skin you may be more confortable with the Philips SC2006/11 Lumea Precision Plus IPL Hair Removal System for Face and Body since it is just as effective but less easy to burn yourself with this model--but it only works on darkish hair.

Aug 2014: Have switched to the Lumea. It works well, is painfree and easier to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 23 Dec 2013
Product stopped working after it was used 3 times. Very disappointed and hoping for resolution but so far Homedic's customer service is VERY very poor.

4.0 out of 5 stars I predict a hairless future, 25 Aug 2013
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must say that I was initially a little disappointed with this product; not realising you had to also have the epilator attachment to remove hair and prevent regrowth at the same time. Instead I approached this the old fashioned way; shaving body parts and using a trimmer to remove facial hair before moving on to the next stage.

Firstly I would recommend using the protective glasses provided; even if you are not using this device on your face. The intense flash has the potential to burn out your retinas. I would also recommend using this on a body part for a while before moving on to your face. For some reason if I used the Mē on my face first; even on the lowest setting it was too painful to continue on with for more than a few zaps. It felt like a nasty localised electric shock to my face that was a bit too painful to overcome for the results this gadget offers. Yet if I did my armpits or legs first, then continuing on to do my face, it caused a lot less pain. The device also heats quickly, but this is a manageable sensation.

The bumph states that you will see results within 3 to 4 sessions. I've used the Mē once per week for the last 5 weeks and am really pleased with the results. I have very fair fine hair on my face, and the Mē hasn't obliterated this, but it has significantly slowed the regrowth. I confidently predict that a few more sessions and my lady moustache will no longer be a problem (despite not having the recommended facial attachment). Please note though that you can't use this device above your cheek line. To be honest, I wouldn't want to use this on my forehead and have the laser beam fry my brain. Slower and finer regrowth has also occurred in my armpits and legs.

I intend to continue on using the product and remain confident with the results I have achieved so far. Hopefully in a few months I'll update this review gloating about a hair free face, armpits and legs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial thoughts, 2 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Initial thoughts are it works in the same way as the salon removal I have had in the past with one exception. You are recommended to shave before use for best results. This is very contradictory to my salon experiences who usually invite you back in for a wax a week after IPL. It is very annoying to see the stubble coming through as I am usually hair free between treatments.

There is almost no pain, just a very slight discomfort, like a very like twang of an elastic band on the skin. The salon experience in comparison is a lot more uncomfortable. Does that mean I wonder its less effective, less powerful.

The price is a fraction of the cost of a salon treatment, the current sale price represents roughly one salon treatment of legs/ underarm, bikini.
Even though I have alot of experience with this type of treatment I found the manual inadequate for a potentially dangerous treatment. I would have like a lot more instruction, the manual is small and thick but covers several languages.

The goggles are for safety when the machine in use and flashes of light however they steam up quickly and dont stay in place when turning your body for example to do back of your legs. Obviously they are dark glasses and visibility is limited so you cant clearly see what hair you are zapping. For example if you want to target a particular area. I would recommend a spare set and get someone else do the zapping.

Im one treatment in so far, I dont like the stubble but will continue for 7 treatments over 7 weeks and update with verdict. What we all want to know is does it work and does it compare to salon results.

Update after 4 sessions
Patchy regrowth, not shaving before treatments or inbetween. Underarms and thighs best results. Lower leg has strips of hair as if missed a patch but sure I haven't. Overall good results after 4 weeks. Very labour intensive and partner doing zapping as this is quicker. After 4 sessions whole leg bikini underarm still showing 100% on indicator.

4.0 out of 5 stars Efficient, 19 Sep 2013
Dinah85 "Dinah93" (Cleveland,UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't hold out high hopes for this, I've got naturally very dark hair and previous attempts at home hair removal have been less than successful. Even waxing at the salon causes me to bleed as I'm so dark. However I've had good results with this. While you have to commit to putting in the time I've noticed certainly a thinning of the hair over the last few weeks, and I hope it will continue to the point I no longer need to shave. It is hard to keep track of where you have done, and I'm terrified of burning, but so far so lucky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hair-raising., 19 Sep 2013
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike the last home IPL system I used, this one doesn't require expensive and messy gels to facilitate the hair removal process. That said, I did find my previous experience using the gels to be beneficial as I was more able to tell which areas of my skin I had already treated. If you accidentally treat the same area of skin more than once in the same session, you run the risk of skin burning and damage.

Overall, I found it less comfortable to use than the other one I've tried, although it has noticeably reduced the regrowth of hair in the areas I've tested it on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far, 29 July 2013
Paul B "-pb-" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Between my wife and I, we've tried out a fair few laser hair removers with varying success. This Homedics Hair Reduction system is different as it uses both the IPL and Radio Frequency systems to compliment each other.

Setup is fairly easy, just plug in, choose your strength of treatment from 1 of 3 settings and wait for the light to go green.

Prior to treatment you'll need to epilate or shave the hairs to make them short so that the device can do its work. There is an epilator attachment that you can buy, but any epilator will do.

Holding the handheld part of the device against the skin, you wait for the (very bright) flash and then move it, ensuring that it isn't in the same place twice in a short space of time, or you will have the danger of burning the skin (as I found out under my arms). Then that's it, you're done.

Like any hair removal system, it won't yield results until a few tries and even then it won't get rid of all hair until you've used it a number of times.

A pair of small rounded googles are included for face work, protecting against the bright flashes, but it's certainly the heat you need to be most worried about if you keep the hand piece on one area of skin too long. In the right hands, though, it's a great tool that seems to be working after 3 goes.

One word of warning, though; the manual recommends that you leave it 3 weeks after treatment before exposing the skin to the sun, so that probably counts it out for use during the summer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Had it for 6 months doesnt work, 25 Feb 2014
Does nothing at all for me, Ive used it exactly how recommend and have had no results at all. I've even tried an intense treatment of using it everyday for two weeks & still nothing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Working well, easy to use, pain-free, 15 Aug 2013
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used previous home hair removal systems that were difficult to use and gave disappointing results, I approached this system with caution.

After several weeks easy use, hair re-growth is definitely weaker and the prospects look good for future total removal.

The comprehensive instructions do advise moving over the skin in a gliding motion to move from one area to another, for most effective use, which is easier on some parts of the body (legs) than on others (underarms or bikini area for example).

I liked the fact that it's obvious that the machine is working. There is a red flash from the laser head and a sensation that I felt a slight prickle, I couldn't describe it as painful, however .

You have to be careful to move the head on from each zap, and 3-4 passes over the whole area being treated at one session are recommended. I didn't find it at all painful to use, there was some minor reddening but no laser marks even from the high setting.

If you have pale coloured body hair there are detailed instructions on how to get the most effective use from the system. The system is suitable for all body skin shades but not very dark skin on the face. There is a facial hair adaptor available but this is not supplied and needs to be purchased separately, likewise an optional epilator head.

The removable, refillable laser head is good for 120 000 'zaps', mine shows no signs of running low yet.

When large body areas are treated, obviously the charge will be used up more quickly - the system has an indicator to show when this is likely, so that there is no need to miss weekly treatments waiting for a new head to arrive.