‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars *Sigh*, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, Book 6) (Kindle Edition)
Honestly.... if I have to wait too long for part two in this series, I might start sending Buroker daily "reminders" to crack on! The book is, like the others, absolutely astounding! The style of writing as always a pleasure to read with an easy flow! Buroker as an author has been one of the most friendliest and attentive towards the fans. Always updating and replying on the Facebook.. complete lass!! CRACK ON!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding penultimate to the Emperor's Edge series, 21 May 2013
I can't remember how I stumbled across Lindsay Buroker and her incredible steampunk wordsmithing. I think I'd been dredging around the Urban Fantasy lists for something new and dipped my toes into steampunk with a few cheapie ebooks to test the waters...

Within four weeks I've read everything this woman has written (I think!). Sixteen books... and this has to be the best of all - so far.

The Emperor's Edge series is not heavy steampunk but a nice hybrid between fantasy/steam and a little sci-fi to top it off. The overarching plot revolves loosely around the sides people take when cultures and politics clash. Some cultures are science/magic based and other's firmly entrenched in industrial/warrior caste societies.

Each book takes you deeper into those societies, introducing two sets of core characters with loosely linked timeline,aspirations and goals, who come together and stay together as their loyalties and fealties meld. You need to have read all of the books to become fully immersed and to 'get' a lot of inside references and puns. However, Forged in Blood I is still a ripping adventure. In itself, it is probably the most tense of all to date and could be read as a stand alone if you want to get a flavour for Ms Buroker's writing - sharp, wry humour laced with plenty of double-entendre one-liners!

This is a penultimate and it does end on a heart thumping cliffhanger. But it's worth every penny and I'm desperately awaiting FiB II. In fact, I'll probably re-read the whole series again it's so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 20 May 2013
We finally get to book 6.1 where the closed mind of Sicarius plays second fiddle in the story. Little snippets of thoughts on past moments are served up to keep the rabid fangirls (yes me) happy, and also to colour in the ever expanding picture of the relationships amongst the team members.
If you have followed the series so far then this is where everything starts coming to a head. Forge has put all of its pieces on the board and the final game has now begun. Amongst it our heroes are fighting to stop the civil war erupting, to protect one another and to enjoy the peacful lives they want.
However powerful allies of enemies are hunting them, which ends with one of the most heartbreaking scenes i have ever had to read in a book. However as Lindsay knows we'd never forgive her if she killed anyone off, then there has to be a happy ending. Or else.
This story rips along, all of it echoing with both Amaranthe's and Sicarius' thoughts and feelings. As in every other book Lindsay has written each character beautifully and distinctly. The world view expands as players are introduced, setting up future stories that the author has promised. Yara strarts to play a stronger presence in the team, as does Sespian who finally starts to grow up and stop his whining.
All in all this is possibly the best book in the series so far, and Lindsay is already 70000+ words into Book 2, so hopefully that August deadline will be met.
And right at the end a taster of book 6.2 and the arrival of a very Big Player.
The only downside is a few typos here and there the Beta's and editor didn't pick up. Otherwise this is just a breathtaking emotional and exciting ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 May 2014
I really love these books and am so pleased to have happened across Lindsay Buroker. I have read the wjole set and I think they are really worth the money and time! Fab.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 16 Mar. 2014
Got completely hooked on these books and read them all one after another. Love the dialogue and interaction between the characters. Just sad that the series is almost at an end :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Oooooh!, 27 Feb. 2014
So many things grabbed me about this one: Sicarius and Sespian growing a little closer, that one (slightly) hot scene between Sicarius and Amaranthe, Akstyr's growth as a person: no longer the whiney young man he used to be...the group has just grown as a whole and I'm glad I followed their journey.

I'm still holding out for some more hot scenes between Sicarius and Amaranthe *fingers crossed* but after the ending of this and the journey they're going to go on to make everything right, I have a feeling there may not be any *sighs*

Nevertheless this is turning into one of my all time favourite series' ever! Lindsay Buroker you are a genius and I cant wait to read more of your work. Think I'll need a bit of a break in between though, lol, because they are emotionally tiring at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series, 21 Dec. 2013
What do I love about this series. The adventure, there's never a dull moment, it's exhausting just reading about it.The world, which mixes magic, snow, alien spacecraft and steam trains all in one large melting pot. The characters, even if I still can't quite pronounce Maldynado's name quite correctly, he still makes me giggle.
And of course Siccarus, He fascinates me.
I'm sad it's over. But I have really enjoyed this wild ride of a series. Well done Lindsay Buroker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost at the end!, 7 Oct. 2013
This book brings Amaranthe's team full circle - now back at the Stumps, the previous goal of getting themselves exonerated has been eclipsed by the far more wide reaching goal of stopping a conspiracy to take over the Empire. The odds stacked against them seem to be rising ever higher, and the team remains small. It's almost hard to see how such odds can be overcome, but we all know that Amaranthe will think of something crazy to win the day!

Finally getting the point of view of Sicarius was rewarding, and something that I've looked forward to since I realised that we'd see the point of view of each character at some point throughout the series.

Amaranthe learns at the end of this book that her reckless decisions can have very painful consequences. This also leaves the reader with a huge cliffhanger. Thankfully, I picked up this series after the last book was already available to buy, so I consider myself lucky being able to jump straight to the conclusion! If you can't deal with cliffhangers, I'd advise buying Forged in Blood II at the same time as buying this one. The finale promises to be amazing based on this book alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cliff hangar..., 23 Aug. 2013
I read this at a fast pace which means I need to read it again!!! It's a great story, lots of action, more info about the central characters. Wonderful story, can't wait to start the next book. Again there's action, intrigue, laughter,humour, passion, heartstopping and just BRILLIANT. I recommend this book, series and author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of the end, 16 Aug. 2013
Yes, the Emperor's Edge series is coming to an end. I know there are those out there that don't seem to cope well with series ending, but personally, I think all tales need to end so the story can continue. (Very meep and deaningful, I know).

Forged in Blood I brings us back to Stumps and the sharp end of the original purpose of Amaranthe's creation of the team. The book really picks up the pace and the team's got it's work cut out for it. Just to survive is going to be a job in itself.

I ended up racing through the book with our heros and I know I'm going to have to go back and read it properly to do Ms Buroker's writing better justice, but I couldn't help myself. This book should come with a nail biting and tissue warning.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›