Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 1 September 2001
And I was there! At least, not at the concert which was recorded for this video, but for the One Night Only in London. A lifelong Bee Gees fan, I was expecting a great night, but could never in my wildest dreams have imagined what I got. Everything you see on the video is exactly what you got. An immaculate performance enjoyed by a crowd that spanned three generations, who were on their feet from the first note to the last, and who sang along to all the songs.
Love 'em or hate 'em, they are consummate professionals who have been around longer than me, and it just keeps on getting better! Long may they continue.
The Bee Gees have always been great performers, but this is their career topping concert. Four decades of songs are showcased here with impeccable harmonies and a first class band. The highlights are the guest appearances whether ala 'Nat King Cole' style or real like Celine Dion. Yup, Franki Valli and a tear-jerking Andy Gibb can be heard here as well as the Celine highlight. There is too much and too little as great songs like, "Nights On Broadway" and "Guilty" are cut short, but the typical 'Bee Gees song medley' and the 'Night Fever/More Than A Woman' segment made up for that. In retrospect, the concert could have had more lighting effects, but, geez, the sound is just so good, you wonder if it really makes a difference. This was a historic event.
on 19 October 2001
This is one of the few chances to see the Bee Gees in concert and performing live. Each of the one night concerts were exceptional and this one is no different. They attempt to cover alot of ground from early to modern day bringing their work to many in the audience who will never of heard much of the older disco songs. This is an essential purchase for any Bee Gees fan.
on 23 May 2012
OK, confession time. I bought this from Amazon the day after Robin Gibb died. I had grown up to the Bee Gees always being around and now that Maurice AND Robin are no longer alive, I wanted to see for myself just what a concert starring the Brothers Gibb was truly like and I was NOT disappointed. From start to finish it was hit after hit and it made me feel incredibly sad that they are never going to play together again. This is a 5 star dvd and I thoroughly reccommend it to you all.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 July 2013
There has been a few comments about why this show has been released on Blu Ray in an 'SD upscale' rather than the normal hi-definition we all come to expect and I spent a little time trying to find out if the show was actually filmed (on film stock) as opposed to video. Couldn't find anything definitive and an email to Eagle Rock was unanswered. They do actually state the show was 'filmed' but, of course, this can be used a generic term rather than indicating film cameras were used.

In any event we have what we have and upon viewing I am more than happy with the results. On a very large plasma the close up shots look very good and it is only when long crowd or group shots are used the fact you are watching an standard definition release is apparent. The colours are nothing special but, considering the SD source, we have the best we are going to get (the credits mention video operatives etc., too).

Sound on the other hand is superb with a DTS HD audio surround track and it sounds fantastic.

As for the show itself I can't think of a better liver performance from the band that is available. They have a set that covers so many hits it spans 2 hours 20 minutes with all of the hits I can think of. Some special guests too!

A few extras (alternative songs from different shows and an interview) and this ends up as an excellent release and one that will be played a lot! For fans and those with just a casual interest in the Bee Gees this is highly recommended.

Update: I have compared the Blu Ray to the Region 1 (USA) DVD version I own and the picture quality offers marginal improvements - you have to look hard to find any! If anything you can tell there has been some effort to boost sharpness as you can see the edge enhancement on occasion - like a halo effect - on things like microphone stands. Essentially though both DVD and Blu Ray are fine but you need to consider that this is a standard definition source - you will not see the usual HD improvement from Blu Ray. The sound is also fine on the DVD with a DD 5.1 mix but has a bit more punch through the lossless audio track. No extras on the DVD unlike the Blu Ray. For me though one of the huge benefits is the pop up menu on the BR which is great considering how many tracks there are on the disc - with BR you can find the track easily and go straight there, much harder on DVD. Considering the low price I still feel the BR is a good upgrade.

Update 2: The extras contain a few tracks that seem to have been recorded from one of those ITV shows 'An Audience with' - half of the cast of Eastenders are the 'celebs' visible!
77 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2007
This concert is fantastic. My family has viewed it over and over and enjoy it more every time. The Gibb brothers' voices are clear and strong and they harmonize extremely well. The purchase of this DVD has been well worth it and we look forward to enjoying it for years to come.
on 8 December 2001
This DVD makes an excellent gift. The concert was filmed LIVE in LAS VEGAS.The Show starts with a bang. The Gibb brothers show great form & musicianship. I thought their vocals would not be as strong. I was wrong, all of their songs are not only strong, but timeless. The high point is performances of songs written for other artists, such as Islands in The Stream,Guilty,Heartbreaker,Our Love,(Don't Throw It All Away)(a special tribute with their late brother, Andy Gibb) and Immortality,featuring a guest appearance by Celine Dion. Both Picture and Sound quality are excellent. The USA version has a special DTS version Available. No word when UK will ever get this version.This is a definite must have for any Bee Gee fan. So stop reading this and buy it! You won't regret it!
on 31 December 2004
This DVD of the Beegees concert should be regarded as a benchmark for sound quality. The DTS sound track is of superlative quality - played through an AV amplifier, one can expect quite stunning realism and dynamic range from the soundtrack. Compared to other music DVDs, this is the best I have come across. Producers of other music DVDs should take note!! Tip - if your're keen on sound quality, always select a DTS soundtrack.
on 1 August 2013
I recently purchased this Blu ray, only to notice on opening the package that it was an SD blu ray. In other words, the picture/video was upscaled. To my mind this was NOT made clear on the web site and I probably wouldn't have bought it had I known that the picture quality was not up to blu ray standard. However... I couldn't fault the sound. It is absolutely brilliant and overall it's an excellent concert. At the end of the day, I'm glad I bought the "Blu Ray".
on 13 February 2016
HISTORY:

1997 was an amazing year for the Bee Gees, with inductions into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Songwriters Hall of Fame, plus Lifetime Achievement Awards from the British, American and World Music Awards, the the Australian record industry, and the German Bambi Awards topped off by a “One Night Only” concert at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, their only live concert in 1997 and first US concert in nearly 10 years.

Most of you, including myself, have purchased “One Night Only” DVD released in 1997. Now Eagle Rock Entertainment has upconverted this concert to high definition. The burning question is “should I double dip?” I have compared the HD and SD versions. Hopefully, after you have finished reading my review, you will come to the same conclusion as I have. Let’s read on…

HD vs. SD:

SIZE DOES MATTER:

The most important and obvious upgrade is that the blu ray version is widescreen, whereas the standard version was 1.33:1. Here, what a difference this makes to bring joy to my heart to watch this concert the way it was originally recorded.

VIDEO:

The blu ray version arrives on blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080i 1.78:1 encode. Although the overall picture is on the soft side, nevertheless, the HD video is far superior than the SD video. In my home theatre, I have a McIntosh MP 1000 video processor that will convert any video to 1080p. In my comparison, I find that there are more details in the blu ray version, where you can distinguish different hair strands on Barry’s hair and beard on Barry and Maurice’s faces. The colour is more subdued in both cases, but the green colour on Barry’s guitar is boosted in the high definition version. Skin tones are spot on. It is amazing you can hardly find any wrinkles on Barry’s face. With technical advancement, Robin spots a pair of earpiece. In my recent review of Bee Gee’s Australian tour DVD, he was still holding a large wired headphone to his left ear when he sang solo. Now he put both hands on the microphone stand. Overall, the picture was pleasing in the blu ray version. (HD: 4/5; SD 2/5)

AUDIO:

Another major advancement in the blu ray version is the availability of DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, vs DTS 5.1 in the SD version. The final sound is definitely much improved, with very clear vocals plus different instruments sounding more vibrant. Although the sound is mostly concentrated in the front speakers, still it is better than that SD version, which is more muffled. One little thing that I missed from the old standard DVD is the DTS digital sound logo. It was one of the items to wow and impress your audience with that logo, before the actual feature presentation. I have seen two different DTS-HD logos on blu ray discs from Hong Kong. Too bad they are not used here. (HD: 4.5/5; SD: 3.5/5)

CONTENT:

The song content is the same on both versions: 32 songs! The outstanding selections include rare performance of Morning Of My Life (from film Melody), Tragedy from Spirits Having Flown, Celine Dion performing Immortality with Bee Gees backing vocals, video appearance of Andy Gibb and Frankie Valli, the latter in the song Grease. Of course, Olivia Newton-John in the front row was introduced to the audience, twice – the other time was as fellow Australian before New York Mining Disaster 1941. (Concert: 5/5)

BONUS FEATURES:

The bonus features that are found only on the blu ray version are three tracks from the UK TV: Medley: Heratbreaker/Guilty/Chain Reaction, How Deep Is Your Love and Jive Talkin’. But the really special bonus feature here is An Audience With the Bee Gees, with interviews with the three members together at the same time. It is of interest to learn their feelings about the backlash of disco, the snubbing of How Deep Is Your Love and Stayin’ Alive by the Academy Awards, with not a single nomination. Maurice stated that because of the stir towards inaction by the Academy Award that year, it opened the door to pop music in subsequent years, like Nashville and Flashdance, both winning Best Original Song Oscars afterwards. I watched this interview with lots of sadness, because two members are gone from us forever.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

One Night Only is the only full length concert by the Bee Gees on blu ray, and it was recorded at the time when the Brothers Gibbs were still in their prime. By now, you can guess my answer whether it is worthwhile to double dip to buy this blu ray disc: a resounding YES! This blu ray version is much superior than the standard version, and is very highly recommended. In my opinion, it is a Must-Own!