The Tilted Truth
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.19

on 19 January 2014
This book gets five stars for sheer stamina as the author carefully introduces his numerous characters, and the building blocks necessary for the involved story to follow. There are so many characters (given varying degrees of weight throughout) that it's hard to name the protagonist.

I'd say the story belongs to both Adam and Barry, two deeply flawed characters. Adam gets fleeced in a business deal and then proceeds to wreck his life trying to recover the money he has lost, while Barry wants to make money, stay out of jail, make people pay for doing to him what he does to others, while all the time evading a nasty death at the hands of those he has hurt/conned/attacked along the way. Nice guy, not.

Electra is Barry's sister. I don't care about her hard childhood. She is nuts, evil to the core. Even her love for her brother (a love mutually shared) is twisted. Barry is more complex. Every now and again, I experienced a fleeting empathy for his predicament, but by the end of the book, his catastrophic, self-serving ruthlessness eradicated every shred of pity I should never have felt for him.

On the side of law enforcement, we glimpse the start of Ben's career in the CIA and Cat's in the FBI. As they climb the ranks, their professional goals bring them into contact with Barry, and each other. I would have liked more of these two. The author pens a realistic portrayal of the intelligence world and the complex operations they manage on a daily basis with a Jack Bauer-style injection of good old-fashioned heroism.

Meanwhile, Adam (our protagonist) is determined to get his money back and his actions set in motion the disasters to follow as the ripple of vengeance spreads and implodes.

Overall, The Tilted Truth weaves a complex tangle of truth, lies and half-truths moving steadily towards an ultimately nail-biting climax in a clean and direct writing style. A sustained tale of one man's fight for personal justice against a background of revenge, drugs, terrorism, sex, hi-tech espionage, politics and family, this story provides an insight of what can happen to those who get crushed between the messy worlds of crime and law enforcement.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 26 October 2013
Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure I was sent this book for free so that I could review it. Either way, I always give a fair review and this disclaimer is only ever included for the purpose of transparency.

Boehs describes his novel as 'an erotic thriller of intrigue, manipulation and deception', and while there's certainly no shortage of sex scenes, the focus is very much on the thriller. The author served as an army intelligence officer in special operations, involving surveillance and intelligence collection for the NSA and the CIA, and so he writes about espionage convincingly and with authority.

And the sex scenes, which are generally pretty sexy, add to the storyline instead of detracting from it - in some cases, they're even vital. We're not talking about the type of novel where the protagonists occasionally stop for a quick shag - we're talking about a novel where undercover agents use sex as a weapon, and I like that.

At first, I thought I'd find this novel tedious and unenjoyable, but I couldn't have been more wrong - the characters are unbelievably life-like and Barry Vador and his sinister sister Electra make for top-notch antagonists. Even though they're the 'bad guys' of the novel, this isn't as clear cut as a fight between good and evil - Barry and Electra are human too, and you get a clear sense of what makes them tick.

But now, it's time for the moment you've all been waiting for - a snippet of a sex scene. Here goes: "Pulling her jeans down to her ankles, she put both hands between her spread thighs. "No one's around so watch me for a minute," she coaxed. In a circular motion, she rubbed the top crease in her dark nest of hair while vigorously pumping two fingers in and out of her glistening opening. Doyle heard the erotic sounds of her thrusts and could smell the excitement as her arousal continued to build."

Now, I'm all for sexual liberation, but erotic fiction has never really been my thing - I can take it or leave it. But to Boehs' credit, The Tilted Truth would be a decent enough novel whether the sex was included in the manuscript or not.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again