on 1 December 2013
We purchased the VTEK NEW 3-in-1 OTG Card Reader so we could download photographs directly to our new iPad 4 whilst we were on holiday so we could view them before we came back.

The card reader worked faultlessly so we were delighted with the purchase especially as it was so much cheaper than the equivalent Apple product.

After making the connection, as anticipated, a message would pop up advising that it wasn't compatible but without any action on our part the message disappeared and the reader did exactly what we wanted it to do.

The iPad IOS is at 6.1.3 so we cannot comment on how it runs under IOS 7.

Thanks KiwiBird Direct for shipping it so quickly. Great service.
on 26 December 2013
although it is very light, it works well, good value for money, can recommend it for others, it was cerrect delivery
on 3 March 2014
After a bit of trial and error I have got it to work on iPad Air for video and photos. Very good value for money. Below are a few pointers that may help others, most of which, but not all, are in the instructions. It worked via USB cable directly from two cameras but videos needed to be transferred on their internal cards (see later). For a SD card set up watch out for the following :-

a) Format the card to be used in a camera to get the correct DCIM folder and its sub=folder.
b) Transfer the videos to the same folder as the photos (DCIM sub=folder)
c) Make sure that the video and photo file names are 8 characters exactly with no spaces, you can use _
d) Make sure that the file names are in cap's.
e) Make sure the file extensions (MPG4,MOV etc) are in cap's. Took me a while to spot that one!
f) Plug the SD card into the unit and then the unit into the iPad Air. It should auto load the photo app. If you have problems unplug the 8 pin and restart the iPad, plug back in.

Best of luck.
on 9 June 2014
The product arrived quickly and was well packaged by the seller. It worked first time with no problems when using a 32 Gb SD card. The lead is long enough to be able to plug it in without removing the cover, but short enough that it doesn't get tangled.

December 2014:

Following a couple of Apple's deadly updates (iOS 8.1 etc), my product first started to work intermittently, then stopped working at all. I contacted Kiwibird Direct (on a Sunday) to ask if they had any ideas on how to make it start working again. Within two hours, they had contacted me to say that there were some problems with the version I had working with iOS 8, and offered me a free replacement if I provided my postal address. I supplied it, and three days later have received a new reader (which works perfectly so far). They additionally sent me another 5 in 1 unit to try.

I have received excellent customer service from this seller, and would highly recommend them to anyone who requires this kind of kit.
on 1 April 2014
I bought this camera connector to use with my I-Pad Mini with Retina running IOS 7.1 including all the latest upgrades. I chose it over other, non-Apple brands on the basis of the many favourable reviews from existing users. Delighted to find I entirely agree with other purchasers out there. It is very simple to use & faster than I would have believed possible. I have used it with SD & SDHC cards up to 8GB without any problem & also used the supplied cable to download directly from my Panasonic Lumix FZ38 camera. It gets 4 not 5 stars only because I have not been able to use it with a micro SD card from my phone, though I was under the impression it could do this. This is not a issue for me as I rarely use my phone's camera anyway. Carefully check that this model is the correct connector for your particular version of I-Pad or I-Phone & that it accepts the type & capacity of your memory card & then go ahead, buy it, & enjoy the speed & simplicity!!
on 28 May 2015
I decided to gamble on the KiwiBird rather than buy the official Apple device costing 150% more. At first I thought I'd made a mistake, because the Kiwibird connector felt slightly resistant when I plugged it into the iPad socket, but it made a connection OK, and since then has slid into place easily enough. I get various warnings about it not being an authorised device, but it works fine and has added a new dimension to my iPad mini. I'd been thinking that I'd have to take my netbook on holiday with me, as I didn't want to risk leaving all my photos on a card until I got home, but with the KiwiBird, I was able to upload them onto the iPad and look at them each evening, deleting them from the camera at the same time. I think Apple's failure to provide an SD socket on iPads is downright mean, so I'm very pleased to have this device to overcome that drawback, and at a reasonable price compared to Apple's outrageous one for their equivalent.
on 28 December 2014
I have used the new reader to successfully  load photos and video from a 4gb SDHC card to the IPad Air 1.
I followed the instructions, to have the iPad unlocked and the Photo App open, and the SD card in the Reader.
The device fits well into the connection on the side of the iPad.
Once the card reader is connected the Import icon shows on the bottom of the screen. Click the Import icon to see the photos load as individual pictures / video.
Takes maybe 10 seconds to load.
Then, to save photos onto the Ipad, either use Import All, or click on individual photos and click on Import Selected.
Ignore any pop up warnings that the card is 'not supported'
The photos/video will the display in Albums.
then disconnect the Card reader.
The device works quickly and easily. There are no blue flashing lights on the Reader to indicate it is loading, but the photos show as they load using the Import option.
on 14 January 2015
Just arrived on time in fact only took a couple of days love it it's sooo easy, turn on in this case I pad 2 click on photos plug in the connection kit put in card import pops up press and done. Not used with a USB dongle so can't comment but I'm sure it would be just as simple. Would highly recommend a fantastic bit of kit and will be so easy to take away with you. A must have
review image
on 19 June 2015
Neat little device. Initially was going to send it back as more often than not the device simply would not load photographs and kept disconnecting. After much frustration and having read similar reviews i then discovered that my iPad would load photographs with absolutely no problem so long as it was fully charged, which has meant no annoying issues since I discovered this.
on 24 September 2014
This is the little brother of the 5 in 1 camera kit. It is ideal for someone who uses only SD or microSD cards. I have tried the unit on both an ipad air and an ipad mini. The unit work flawlessly on both devices. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly images were transferred from the card to the ipad. The unit was supplied for the purposes of this review, it arrived well wrapped and protected. The build quality is good and it has survived being dropped a number of times by myself. I haven't experienced any of the "not compatible" messages mentioned in some reviews despite using daily for about a week. Perhaps the newer units have had a firmware upgrade?

This is a tidy, reasonably priced item. Ideal for packing along with the ipad if you are travelling.