4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable thriller from Liza Marklund
I've read several books by Liza Marklund and this is quite a typical Marklund book, I think. So, if you enjoyed her previous books, you'll like this one too.

Published 15 months ago by JudithAnn

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong characterisation but a contrived and jumbled at times.
Also published as A Place in the Sun.
This is the second of Liza Marklund's books I've read featuring Annika Bengtzon a crime reporter. The author has created an immensely strong character within an interesting plot however it is also very contrived and jumbled at times, maybe just down to the translation!
Published 6 months ago by Lili

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable thriller from Liza Marklund, 14 Sep 2013
JudithAnn (Houten, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Paperback)

I loved it that a lot of the story took place in Spain. We've had enough Scandinavian settings from Marklund and her fellow Nordic crime writers. It's good to see that outside of this somewhat exotic setting for many English-speaking readers, the story still holds up.

While the story generally seemed realistic, some story lines merged together into one story, where a few too many coincidences came
together. Both unnecessary and unlikely. There were a few love interests, and these were not over-romanticised but very real-world.
The story becomes quite exciting towards the end, to the point that you can't believe Annika will be able to escape her precarious situation.

Another enjoyable thriller from Liza Marklund.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crime on the Costas, Swedish style, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Kindle Edition)
Anneka Bengtszon makes a sympathetic and interesting crime reporter living in Stockholm with her two children. Her ex husband is living with another woman but does not sound happy which she finds somewhat unsettling. Following the horrific murder of a whole Swedish family in Spain, Anneka traces the clues to to the Costa del Sol in Spain and thence to Morrocco where vast quantities of cannabis are grown. This is part of a large series and I will definitely read more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real cracking read., 16 Sep 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Paperback)
Liza is an author that I love to spend time with, I love the way she brings the crimes to the fore and whilst this one is set in the sunnier climes of Spain her dark touch works wonders to bring the darker, seedier side of life to the fore. As with her other books the pace is a delight to sit down with, the prose cracking and when added to her own unique writing style that readers can identify quickly all round makes this something special.

All round a great read and a great way to spend a few days. Magic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A series I quite like, 16 April 2014
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Paperback)
The Long Shadow is the eighth North American release in Liza Marklund's Annika Bengtzon series.

The Long Shadow picks right up from the last book, Lifetime. Annika's personal life is in shambles - her husband has left her for another woman, he has custody of their children and her home has burned down. She's just learned that she'll now be reporting to a man who used to be her subordinate at the Swedish newspaper she works at.

She's sent to Spain to report on the death of a former Swedish national. It looks like they were originally just targets of the latest European crime wave - pumping gas into the victim's home until they pass out, then robbing them. (This is frighteningly true!) But something went wrong this time - he and his family have been killed. Or was it deliberate?

Annika is a tireless reporter. Or perhaps obsessive is a more apt description. She's headstrong, impulsive and plunges headlong into her stories, often to her own detriment. But, she trusts her own instincts and follows them regardless. It often pays off - she saved the life a young boy in the last book. And this time is no exception. Annika knows this current story is much deeper than her editor thinks. When he wants her to move on to other pieces, she lets him believe she has - then pursues her own leads.

Marklund's plots are quite detailed and intricate. I do enjoy her style as it really keeps the reader engaged and on their toes. Having followed the series, I was easily able to keep up with the players and past references. But new readers might find the number of characters, established relationships and connections a mite confusing. Much of this book's plot is tied to previous cases. An interesting twist is slowly revealed through flashbacks to someone's childhood.

Woven throughout is the secondary storyline of Annika's personal life. I think Marklund has handled and written this very well throughout the series. . Although I've heard some other readers remark that this secondary storyline muddies the waters of the main plot, I disagree. I quite like seeing the two sides of Annika's life - personal and professional. For me, it makes the character more realistic and believable when we see vulnerability in such strong personality.

The setting was brought to life with detailed descriptions of ex-pats and luxury. And corruption and crime.

This is an excellent series with a character I quite like, even though she's not always likable. Definitely recommended. I'll be watching for the next in the series. And on a side note, I was thrilled to discover that the Annika books have been made into films. And my library carries them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great discovery for me., 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Paperback)
Great characters , honest ,gripping, informative , has a feel of veracity. Going to be reading a lot more of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars the long shadow, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Paperback)
it was fast exciting the plot raced along and it gave a good flavour of the countries that Annika visited as she travelled

4.0 out of 5 stars Series...or serial?, 23 Sep 2013
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Kindle Edition)
When the family of a Swedish sport star is gassed to death during a robbery on the Costa del Sol, the Evening Post sends reporter Annika Bengtzon to cover the story. Meanwhile a reorganisation at the newspaper means that Annika's colleague Patrik has been promoted to be her new boss. And the appeal is about to be heard for Filip Andersson, a man convicted of murder, apparently in a previous book.

This is a very well written slowburn thriller that takes Nordic crime away from the cold of the north to the sunshine of Spain. Marklund gives a real feel for these ex-pats living in the brash world of the Costa Cocaine, as Patrik wishes to dub it. The story lets us see how the police are failing to stop the drug route through Spain from the hash farms in Morocco and on to the rest of Europe. Annika's character is well developed and she's a likeable lead although with the usual confused personal life. She's not superwoman, thankfully - just a hard-working, professional journalist with a well-defined set of ethics. And we see her as a caring mother to her two young children and struggling to come to terms with the break-up of her marriage.

Many crime novels are part of a series where each book can be read on its own merits. However, this one is very much part of a serial - i.e. the main plot clearly runs on from book to book and this is an instalment rather than a distinct story. Unfortunately this means the book doesn't work as a standalone. I spent most of my time baffled about characters whose story had obviously begun in the previous books, which I haven't read; and as all the threads began to come together my lack of knowledge of who had done what and why in previous books meant I hadn't a clue what was going on. And unfortunately that confusion continued right through to the end. And yet, so much of the book was given over to retelling bits of previous instalments I am left with little desire to backtrack, especially since I now know what has happened to many of the recurring characters. Of course, it's quite normal for there to be a running story arc in the background, but I've never come across another crime novel where the main plot was so dependant on a thorough knowledge of the previous books.

I'm reluctant to mark it down because I'm sure that for people who've been following the serial this will be an interesting and enjoyable read. Even with my problems with understanding the plot, there was much that I enjoyed - the quality of the dialogue, the characterisation, the sense of place, Annika's family life. So 4 stars from me, but I doubt I'll be reading the past books, since this book contains so many spoilers about them. And while this instalment felt as if it had come to a proper, if rather incomprehensible, conclusion, I wouldn't be willing to read any future books unless I could be sure that major plot points didn't rely on the reader knowing about things that happened in the previous books. Shame.

NB This book was provided for review by the publisher, Random House.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read from beginning to end., 3 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Kindle Edition)
Although I am a fan of scandanavian crime this is the first Liza Marklund book I have read. I picked it as it is primarily set in Spain and I was going on holiday there. I enjoyed it so much I immediately ordered the first one in the series. A superbly well crafted crime story with great contextual background about the Costa del Crime and the drug trade. The role of the central character, Annika Bengtzon, as a journalist gives a different slant from the usual police/investigator style. As the pace of the story gathered I couldn't wait to read the next chapters. A delight for crime thriller fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy but readable, 11 Sep 2014
Mrs. Margaret A. Layton (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book a lot , in spite of itself. It is part crime novel and part 'chick lit' with silly descriptions of a policeman having muscles rippling beneath his shirt. The hero, Annika, is a journalist with a lifestyle nobody would envy. I am sure an American would describe her family as 'dysfunctional'. It is almost too far fetched and yet I thoroughly enjoyed reading it

5.0 out of 5 stars murder casts a long shadow, 25 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Kindle Edition)
A mysterious multiple murder in Spain, a missing teenager and the Moroccan drugs trade are all connected somehow. How? Why? A loose cannon journalist is sent to get the story but she uncovers more than one story. This book is well written and well translated. I was transfixed. This is a seriously good read for crime fans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›