1,102 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING STAR TREK FILM
I really loved the new star trek film, can't wait for the next one. I even cried at one point during the film. Definitely recommend this film, for all action lovers and star trekies
Published 4 months ago by poppy

I have the "3D" Blu-ray version, and I'll not comment on the film other than to say that it is pretty much as one might expect from the Amazon blurb and the surrounding hype; superb graphics and effects on both the "2D" and the "3D" versions, but lumbered with a plot shot through with the usual clichéd Hollywood holes.

The prime characters are...
Published 7 months ago by R. F. Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING STAR TREK FILM, 15 Dec 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent space opera, but with a plot full of Hollywood holes, 17 Sep 2013
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)

The prime characters are surprisingly good replicas of the original Kirk, Spock, Scotty and Bones translated to JJ Abrams' alternative Star Trek universe, and given that major change I suspended any critical mental acuity, carefully forgot forty years of previous Star Trek memories, and simply enjoyed the film.

However, as expected, the "3D" disc refuses to co-operate with my Samsung BD-F5100 Blu-ray player and "3D" Smart TV, despite several other older "3D" films I have being quite happy to play their discs and leave the TV to do the work of putting it into "3D". Star Trek "3D" just sits in a loop showing an error message. I borrowed a friend's one year older BD-E6100 and this played the "3D" disc just fine, so it was not a problem with the disc, merely the software on the disc being overly fussy about how it should be played back. (See the Addendum below for more on the "3D".)

Fortunately the second ("2D") disc in the Blu-ray set plays perfectly well as normal HD with the full surround sound, and all the listed extras for this specific edition from Az are available. (Why offer different extras on different editions from different vendors? Other reviews have been very helpful in giving us the lists of other extras on other editions.)

Extras on the Blu-ray discs sold by Az in Sept 2013. (35mins).
. Creating the Red Planet
. Attack on Starfleet
. The Klingon Home World
. The Enemy of My Enemy
. Ship to Ship
. Brawl by the Bay

I've not bothered even thinking about the Digital Copy - what is the point when there is a high quality hard-copy in your hand?

Why only 3 stars? Well, it is not an outstanding film, not something one will revisit time after time in years to come, just a thoroughly enjoyable romp for the teenager hidden in all of us, but alas also a film all too easily forgotten. And I was disappointed that the "3D" is so fussy about which machines it plays on.

I think the first JJ Abrams Star Trek is significantly better plot-wise and in generosity with the extras, and about the same with the CGI, a solid 4*.

Addendum. 29th December 2013. "3D" revisited.

Santa gave me a Samsung BD-F5500 to use instead of the BD-F5100, and the "3D" on this Star Trek disc was superb when we watched it again yesterday, better than it had been on the previous "3D" player I borrowed. Played out at 1080p 24fps, the motion was smooth with no watery blurring (unlike the Hobbit which was so bad we eventually watched in only 2D).
The only negative comments from the other viewers were about the occasional foreground "reflections" as if off the inside of a window or the dirt on the surface of the lens. I think this was a useful optical trick to ensure our eyes were not strained by excessive changes of focus; certainly none of us had headaches at the end of this film (unlike with some others).

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, Special features Stupidity, 1 Sep 2013
Love the film so that's why it's gets a three stars but how the special features have been released is a joke.
On the disk you get 35mins of extras all in HD
The Sound of Music and FX
Aliens Encountered
( [...] )
................
iTunes gets the audio commentary
Plus this version is the full IMAX scenes (ie no black bars in certain shots)
(which if you have the blu ray you can actually claim for free with the digital copy code, just claim it on itunes)
............
This is all a bad joke. But then there more if you want the special case like a metal one or one that comes with a ship then you can only get that from Play.com and even at 50 it still dosent come with the special features. So annoying as a fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but could be better, 13 Mar 2014
Found that this film has taken content from other Star Trek films / Episodes and reused.
Nothing original to make it worth the "Star Trek" name.
If you like space and action movies you will probably like, but as a Trekkie for over 30 years I was disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 30 Dec 2013
Wonderful sequel to a wonderful fim. Great to see Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto back, especially with Benedict Cumberbatch as well. Terrific actors at their best.
Solid plot with plenty of action and the odd laugh thrown in as well. Absolutely loved it!
Very fast delivery, fair price, would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek Into Darkness. (DVD), 29 Dec 2013
I like all things "Star Trek" and enjoyed this film at the cinema upon its release. Just could not wait to get the DVD and add to my collection. A very good film indeed, if you, like, me, am a fan of the Star Trek genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant reboot of the old franchise, 29 Dec 2013
B. Jones - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This film has it all, action,suspense,romance, good script and mind blowing special effects. I love the way the director has remained true to the to the original films (with a bit of a twist and spring cleaning) and makes all the characters feel like real people!
This film improves upon the first Star Trek "Reboot" and maintains the high level all the way through the film. If you have watched "The Wrath of Khan"( arguably the best original Star Trek film) you will be intrigued how this film twists the original story around.
Great film.

3.0 out of 5 stars blu-ray disappointment, 26 Sep 2013
D. J. Constable (sussex uk) - See all my reviews
Just to be clear from the start; I love this film. I've been a fan of Star Trek since the original series came to the UK in the late sixties and greatly enjoyed the recent JJ Abrams reboot and this its sequel. I was very much looking forward to the Blu-ray release as I assumed that it would be similar in format to the previous film.
What a disappointment! The actual film looks great and I enjoyed it in 2D at home much more than the eye straining 3D version I saw at the cinema. However, there is a distinct lack of special features, just a handful of behind the scenes shorts -no trailers, no deleted scenes, and, worst of all, no commentary. As for the Digital Copy, what you actually get is a code for a download from Itunes. This does give you access to the excellent commentary, but you can only watch it on your computer etc. and not on your tv. This should have been on the blu-ray disc.
So only 3 stars for this release, even though I would give the film itself 5 stars! Once again, we miss out on the best features on a UK release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just one for the hardcore fans..., 23 Dec 2013
Patrick Byrne "patvegas1" (Essex) - See all my reviews
Not being a trekkie, although I do admit to watching Star Trek when I was a teenager, JJ Abrams versions of the long running franchise are very refreshing. An element of comedy, action and drama keeps these films going at a pleasing pace and they never feel too long.

Into Darkness is the second film and stands up alongside the first. The visuals are pleasing to the eye and CGI is faultless as you'd expect from a blockbuster these days.

The relationship between Spock, Kirk and Uhura develops further in this film, but the one standout element for me is Benedict Cumberbatch's version of Khan. Extremely menacing and a quiet psychosis along with a general badassness elevate his character above the others. Then again, the bad guys in all great films always standout!

For me these recent Star Trek releases standup as their own films. You don't need to be a hardcore fan to enjoy them, just maybe a little familiar with the main characters. Not really knowing much about the original Khan personally didn't spoil the film for me.

At least its better than Prometheus ay?!?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 Mar 2014
Superb film and a fantastic follow up to the first instalment, special effects are a marvel and the characters have matured since the first film, I only hope that more get made with this cast.

ARRAY(0xb5444438)