5.0 out of 5 stars Happy melancholy, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
I never can explain to people what it is I like about Scottish indie bands there is a whole different approach to the way songs are constructed and few do it better than Tracey Anne Campbell her soft vocals underpin the delivery of lines that will stir your soul and leave you haunted long after the song has finished instrumentally they balance and compliment each other superbly and on this the fifth album the quality and class shows through as strong as ever following on from my maudlin career they show no sign of running out of steam or quality and deserve to be recognised as a beacon of hope in a world of musical mundanity and maybe by listening to this somebody may be able to tell me why I love Scottish indie bands so much

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful as ever, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
With nothing heard from the band for a long time I was beginning to think the worst but at last we have a new LP.

Following the trend of "Maudlin Career" Songs are less high tempo than "Let's get out of this country" and more reflective. It doesn't matter to me- I like all of it and this record seems to bring out the best in Traceyanne's beautiful voice. On 5 listens "Break it to me gently" is my favourite and certainly the most catchy on the record. However I think this record will be a grower and once I get to 20 listens I will probably have changed my mind!

Ironically it also has a Summer feel to it, despite the obviously melancholy lyrics.

The only band worth listening to in 2013 and from someone who used to buy about 2 or 3 records a week in the 80's and 90's this is the first LP I have bought this year- a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful, 8 May 2014
Mr. R. Henson (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
Camera Obscura just keep getting better and better. I've been a fan of theirs for many years, and this album, as with their last album (My Maudlin Career), is pretty much perfect. The melodies combined with Tracyanne Campbell voice are simply enchanting. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic as always, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
I love Scottish indie bands and camera obscura never fail. Fun, quirky and musically really together. Really worth buying if you love Beetle and Sebastian or Aberfeldy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite songwriting, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
Bought this album not long after release, around 6 months ago, having never heard anything of Camera Obscura (despite their links and similarities to Belle and Sebastian, my favourite band of many years). Enjoyed on first listen and it has been a grower ever since and is still one of my most frequently played. Wonderful songwriting, instrumentation, and vocals. Highlights are Troublemaker and William's Heart but there are also a few gems later on the album such as Break it to me gently and Making Money; an enjoyable listen from start to finish. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fine album, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
I have several earlier Camera Obscura albums and I rate this as another fine album. However, I wanted to give it 4.5 stars (rather than 5 or 4) because to my ear this album sounded familiar - so more of what I liked - no 'shock of the new'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cd, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
This is the first cd I bought in years, a great cd and great songs on it. A great band.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album by great scottish band, 5 Sep 2013
G. M. Somers (cavan,ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
very good album.really like melodic tones.singer has a very dreaklike voice.worked for me anywaw!!!!

I have got a few more of their albums recently----def worth a listen.gerry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as ever, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Desire Lines (MP3 Download)
This band can't make bad albums.Desire Lines yet again confirm their brilliance,with Tracyanne's songwriting ability again hitting the heights.Melodies and tunes galore and her superb voice make this album an absolute must.Brilliant music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lines of beauty, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
The best album yet by a superb Scottish band who criminally have yet to.break the top 40 singles chart. Beautiful songs here and lovely melodies

Desire Lines