5.0 out of 5 stars A big step forward
Published 18 months ago by Big Jim

1.0 out of 5 stars rockstar
The start of this album I found funny. So yeah , you can pluck strings. Get on with it. They did and it very nearly made it out the car window. Mix a bit of Green day meets metalica meets shania twain ( track 11) with the singer sounding like Mid ure . Like the sound of that ? Buy it !!!!
Published 13 months ago by D. Lang

5.0 out of 5 stars A big step forward, 8 April 2013
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Volbeat have exchanged their fast and furious Porsche 911 for a smoother but no less powerful Bentley Continental on this album, producing to my ears at least their most melodic, diverse album yet. Singer Michael Poulsen is in fine voice and there are enough riffs in here to satisfy anyone who likes their guitars turned up to 11. From the acoustic opener to the Sabbath sounding Room 24, from the Big Countryish Pearl Hart to the Iron Maideney The Hangman's Body Count, many boxes get ticked. That is not to say this album is in any way derivative. Volbeat sound like no one else and on this Spaghetti Western themed album they have produced their best work yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another big hitter!, 17 April 2013
M. McMenamin (Wales) - See all my reviews
Every Volbeat album is fantastic! There are no excepetion to this. The band is fantastic live, and I was luck enough to see them at Sonisphere where they came on and did a longer set because so many people were waiting for them to come out early Sunday morning!

This has the typical Volbeat mix of sounds (if there is such a thing). A few favourites are The Nameless One, Lola Montez (this is going to be huge live!), The Lonesome Rider... One thing I don't understand is why Ecotone isn't on the standard version, as it's easily one of the best songs on the album!

So I would say go for this version, and if you haven't heard them before, what are you doing with your life!?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing band, 12 May 2013
This is the third CD I have by this band. I have played their previous CD, "Beyond Hell/Above Heaven" to death. I saw them live last year and they were brilliant. A band who really love their fans and give it their all. This new CD is different in that there is a country feel to it. At first listening I wasn't too sure what to think, but then songs started growing on me and now I can't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Volbeat in their home country and was definitely NOT disappointed. It takes a special band to make me ..., 14 Aug 2014
I am just back from Copenhagen after seeing Volbeat in their home country and was definitely NOT disappointed. It takes a special band to make me travel all that way just for a gig and this was the album that started it all for me. Blissfully unaware of Volbeat's presence previously, I heard 'Pearl Hart' on three consecutive days on the radio and I have been hooked ever since. I have read other reviews having a go at the mix of styles that make up the complicated nature of Volbeat - these people just don't get it. Volbeat have proved that country can be combined with metal and when you have the overall melodic genius of Michael Poulsen allied to the guitar abilities of Rob Caggiano and the rhythm section of Anders Kjølholm and Jon Larsen keeping it as tight as a drum, the overall effect is one of a power quartet churning out one the heaviest, melodic albums of recent years. From the radio friendly 'Lola Montez' and 'Cape of Our Hero' to the metal masterpieces of 'Dead but Rising' and ' The Nameless One', this is an absolute must-buy for any metal-head who loves both power and melody.....with a bit of country thrown in for good measure. Just do it.....and then buy their previous four albums. Truly inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album!!, 29 Jun 2013
My first delve into Volbeat's world and wow!! Loved every second of every track, would strongly recommend it. Not the heaviest of metal albums but very foot tapping and head nodding. Listen to this first 2 weeks before seeing them live at Download festival, they are incredible live too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A rock album with actual songs!, 1 Jun 2014
I love rock and metal, but often the song is sacrificed on the sword of intensity. We have driving riffs and a virtuoso display of vocals, but could you sing it in the shower? I say to you no!

Here, though, we have unapologetic rock music with actual anthemic songs that would sound just as good 'unplugged'. Which is refreshing.

Heartily recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 4 Oct 2014
ok, I'm going to be honest at the peril of the dreaded 'comment'.
I bought this album on the strength of the 5 star feedback received and at first listen I thought it sounded like a cross between Rick Astley (begads) and Metallica.
amused and interested I played it again. the 2nd listen I was hooked.
I'm listening to it right now and I absolutely love it.
these guys are absolute geniuses. every song on the album is fantastic and it's a long time coming. if like me you buy music and are let down and underwhelmed so so often then take note: this WON'T disappoint.
buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Denmarks Finest, 5 April 2014
Amazing album, why have I left it so long before hearing of them. Thanks to Planet Rock for making me aware, just a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those gambles that paid off!, 5 Sep 2014
J. Heap "Axeman" (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this on the basis of seeing Volbeat on Download festival highlights.
They might not appeal if your tastes tend towards really heavy rock, but the country influence is intriguing and the sound (both vocal and guitar) is impressive.
As i prefer more melodic rock, this album has really impressed me - the stand out track being Lola Montez!
It's certainly worth a try, as it's unlikely to be too similar to anything else in your collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Like Marmite, 15 Aug 2014
I have been a fan of this band now for several years, and their mix of heavy metal, rock-a-billy and Johnny Cash influences is not to everyone's liking. But if you are looking for something a bit different, then try this band. There's some great songs and catchy guitar riffs through out this album. This bands a bit like Marmite, you will either love them or hate them!