3,000 Reviews
 (1,812)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product @ a great price
I am a book lover & for many years the thought of even a e-reader was a total no no! For emailing, docs & apps I used my laptop. However I got totally fed up with having to get out the laptop, sign in etc & when going on holiday my luggage & myself were burdened with either too many books or to lfew to see me through the hols. I crumbled & decided a tablet it was...
Published 4 months ago by RosiC

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD not to be used in the sunshine!!!
I am very disappointed with the kindle fire my husband brought for me prior to our holiday to Cuba.
Being an avid reader we thought the kindle would save some of our luggage allowance so a few days before our departure I down loaded 6 books to ready during our 2 week vacation. Imagine my disappointment when on the first morning all I could see on the screen was my...
Published 3 months ago by MRS LYNN E MCGINN

1.0 out of 5 stars The latest version is a downgrade not an upgrade, 6 Dec 2013
MARTIN ADAMS (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers (Electronics)
Anyone familiar with previous versions of the Fire HD will know it was one of the most cost effective and simple to use devices capable of making HD Skype calls. However, if you buy the latest "upgrade" you will find no camera and no support for Skype as Amazon have, for some bizarre reason, chosen to remove both in the current version. Amazon have also chosen to not mention this omission in the description of the new version and don't even seem to have told their own technical support staff. (2 days ago I was on line to an Amazon Kindle "expert" who spent 20 minutes trying to explain how to install Skype before finally acknowledging that this particular device can't support it.)

It may still be a good tablet for the price but I only bought it to send to Granny as a simple to use Skype device so mine has gone back into the packaging and is on its way back.

Shame on you Amazon for not being above board about this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD, 22 April 2014
I was given this for Christmas as an upgrade from my old Kindle - which I have given away! All went well until we went on holiday last month - when i discovered that you cannot read, or use the Kindle in sunlight! The old kindle was perfect for reading on the beach - but not this one! I think they have taken a step backwards!

it did come with a plastic sheet to put on the screen, however this just bubbled up so we took it off!

2.0 out of 5 stars fire hd 2013 version, 11 Jan 2014
Got this for daughter, she loves it.
However, technical description on amazon site is totally inadequate. No explanation about lack of hdmi port, and only recently, through chatting with customer service, found out that NO way to connect tablet to tv !!

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 15 Dec 2013
Don't really need to add to the great comments already but if you're planning on being a serious user then do consider the faster processor

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it was, 16 Jan 2014
It's going backwards you've lost the camara so there's no skype anymore the on/off and volume buttons are on the back which when it in a case you can't get to them without removing it first who thought it through didn't do a very good job

1.0 out of 5 stars freetime not available in the uk, very disappointing, 26 Dec 2013
I ordered this, from amazon uk, for my son's christmas, primarily because of the FreeTime option. On setting it up, I am very dissapointed to learn that FreeTime is only available in the US. This limitation is not mentioned anywhere on the uk website, with FreeTime used as a major selling point for the product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish is the polite way to describe it, 2 Dec 2013
I'm now on my second HD Fire, the first one died after about 7 months, it was exchanged under warranty, but the second one is now playing up. it wont connect to the internet.

As the original was purchased over a year ago, PC world/Curry's will not exchange again.

Basically Don't buy this item

1.0 out of 5 stars Hate it., 21 Nov 2013
Don't like the bombardment of ads. Not keen at all on the way the programming has moved away so much from original android. Never again. It will do the kid to play with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 9 Dec 2013
The Kindle broke after only a few days use. Kept powering off and asking me if I wanted to restore factory settings. In the end, I was forced to return it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware No HDMI port - basic feature from previous generation Fire HD lost - what were you thinking Amazon???, 20 Mar 2014
The Fire HD tablet is a great item, elder two teenagers already had the earlier version. So an excellent birthday present and would have been 5 stars all the way until......

Birthday boy asks if he can connect to TV to watch iplayer. Already have a micro HDMI cable and have happily watched iplayer and Prime in glorious hi def connected to the main TV on the other Kindle Fires. A couple of minutes and a lot of 18 rated language later the realisation dawns that there is no HDMI port on the all new, or should it be "new, but less functional than the version it supposedly upgrades" kindle. An eternity scrolling down the product features on Amazon confirms that the factory have manufactured correctly to a bizarrely reduced spec.

Should I have checked before I purchased? Well perhaps, but in truth owning two Kindle fires already I assumed, wrongly of course, that Amazon would not have released a new version but removed a fundamental feature.

Not a complete disaster, as son can still do everyhthing else and of course watch stuff directly on the kindle screen. The Kindle screen of course is somewhat smaller than the TV - don't know if Twins is on Amazon Prime but the De Vito - Schwarzenegger comparison would not be far out. So if you want to link up to the TV through a micro HDMI you'd be better buying the previous generation Kindle Fire which was available on Amazon at time of writing this review.

So what should be a 5 star product regretably finds itself wallowing in the 2 star relegation zone