4,202 Reviews
 (3,218)

5,625 of 5,738 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! (Edit: Software Update 5.4.5 - 19/08/2014)
Published 11 months ago by S. McCormack

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product. Poor reliability issues
Wasn't really sure what rating to give the Kindle as I have mixed feelings.
Published 17 days ago by Big reader

5,625 of 5,738 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! (Edit: Software Update 5.4.5 - 19/08/2014), 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi (Electronics)
This review is aimed at complete beginners to Kindles and Kindle owners alike. It will help beginners to decide which Kindle to purchase, and help Kindle owners with the decision of upgrading to the Paperwhite 2nd generation. I believe a review should give more than just "It's great" (you'll find this bit in the conclusion :-)). For this reason, I have included as much information as possible. Even if some of the sections do not seem to apply to you (for example, if you do not have a 59 Kindle, etc.), I did not want to repeat the information lots of times, so please read them anyway to get the full details. I hope that it is useful to all!

The Paperwhite has about 1.25 gigabytes of usable storage and can hold about 1,100 eBooks. The main formats it can read are the Kindle formats (AZW3, AZW and MOBI), PDF, TXT, DOC and DOCX. It also has an "experimental" web browser, but does not support audio.

INTRODUCTION TO E-INK:
It features an E-Ink display, which is unlike any other, such as the most common (LCD), which is used in tablets (such as the Kindle Fires), mobile phones and televisions, etc. An E-Ink pixel is a tiny capsule that carries black and white particles suspended in a fluid. The particles are moved around by electrical charges applied from beneath. Natural light then reflects off the particles on the side of the capsule closest to your eye, making the pixel visible. So, if a negative charge is applied, the white particles are attracted to the bottom, the black particles are repelled to the top of the capsule, and it will appear as black.
Unlike LCD screens, a lighting system (the backlight in LCD) is unnecessary as long as there is natural light. However, in the Paperwhite a frontlight has been added for making the display look much whiter and for reading in the dark. The frontlight uses 4 LEDs in the lower bezel to shine light sideways over the screen into a layer that spreads the light out impressively evenly.

I will give you advantages of the Paperwhite over the previous generation Paperwhite and the 69 basic Kindle to help you make the decision of whether to upgrade.

THE IMPROVEMENTS OVER THE 2012 1st GENERATION PAPERWHITE:

- A new E-Ink Carta display, instead of the old E-ink Pearl. This gives a specified 50 percent better contrast, in other words whiter whites and blacker blacks. It also needs to refresh less often. BE AWARE that E-Ink estimates their E-Ink Carta display to have an average life of 5 years. The life of E-Ink Pearl is shorter, but they unfortunately do not specify how long.

- An improved frontlight. It is now almost perfectly evenly lit. There are no discernible shadows at the bottom.

- The new Page flip feature. This opens a "pop up" page that allows you to scroll through the book by chapter, by page or with a slider bar, the equivalent of putting your finger in the flipping through. If you tap the pop up page, it will become the full page. Alternatively, you may tap the cross to close it.

- A 25 percent faster processor.

- A 19 percent tighter touch grid, meaning the touch screen is more accurate.

- Vocabulary Builder. This is excellent for children and students, saving all the words that are looked up as flashcards that can be marked as "mastered" or deleted.

- Smart Lookup - the dictionary feature has been significantly improved, giving X-Ray and Wikipedia from inside the book. All you have to do is hold your finger on a word for about 1 second to get an instant definition, X-Ray or Wikipedia.

(Edit: Page Flip,Vocabulary Builder and Smart Lookup are now available for the 1st gen Paperwhite via a new software update.)

THE IMPROVEMENTS OVER THE 59 'BASIC' KINDLE:

- All of the above.

- A frontlight!

- A touch screen. This makes looking up words and highlighting much easier, let alone just navigating around the device! It uses capacitive touch technology, the same type used by all high quality tablets and phones. It cannot be used with normal gloves, but touch screen gloves are available. The touch screen is very sensitive, so it is extremely hard to hold the device without turning pages accidentally unless you use a case.

- An auto power off and power on feature when the case is opened and closed. It works really well, even with third party cases. Simply open the case and it turns on, close it and it turns off!

- Kindle FreeTime (see below).

- X-Ray. This allows you to see the "bones" of the book, and is useful for character heavy books, telling you about the characters and also showing you where they appear. HOWEVER, most publishers do not enable X-Ray in their books.

- Time to Read. This calculates your reading speed to tell you how long it will take you to finish the chapter, or alternatively the book. I find this very useful, and it is usually quite accurate, although it can take a while to readjust when changing books sometimes.

- There are 6 default fonts, as opposed to the standard font and sans serif on the basic model.

- The "Home" view of your library looks quite dull on the basic Kindle (just a list of books), but on the Paperwhite it shows the covers of the books. Covers, though displayed in black and white, still look pretty good. However, list view is available if you prefer.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q. If my Kindle breaks, will I lose my books?
A. No, they are backed up on your Amazon account.

Q. Is Wi-Fi necessary?
A. No! EBooks can be transferred via a USB port on a computer.

Q. Can the light level be adjusted?
A. Yes, it can be adjusted. There are 26 light levels (including level 0 and 'Max', which is slightly higher than level 24). The frontlight cannot be completely turned off - level 0 is just about visible in the dark. I doubt that the battery is drained much at all on setting 0.

Q. Will it save my place in a book?
A. Yes, it saves your place in every book, even after it is deleted and downloaded again!

Q. Can page numbers be shown?
A. If page numbers are available for the book, then they can be shown in the corner instead of Time to Read. They can also be shown by tapping the top of the screen to open the toolbar.

Q. Can the text size be changed?
A. Yes, there are 8 different font sizes and six different fonts. The common Pinch to Zoom feature can now be used in normal books too.

Q. Can it read the common format ePub?
A. No. However, the free open-source software Calibre is good for converting ebooks although it will not convert DRM (digital rights management) protected books.

Q. Are there many free classics available?
A. Yes! Over 40,000 titles are available free from manybooks.net and gutenberg.org. These are in the public domain, so they were mostly published before 1923 (copyright laws changed in that year). It is perfectly legal and they can be easily downloaded from the device's 'experimental' browser or a PC.

Q. How long does the battery last?
A. Amazon states 28 hours (8 weeks at light setting 10, based on 30 minutes usage each day) with Wifi turned off. I find that I keep the average light setting a lot higher than setting 10 (more like setting 20), and so the battery life is comparable to the basic Kindle. In the dark I use it at about setting 6-7.

SOFTWARE UPDATE 5.4.2:

This update includes mainly:

- Kindle FreeTime.

- Cloud Collections (the capability to back up collections on your Amazon account).

CLOUD COLLECTIONS:

Collections are folders to put books in on Kindle, but they must be organised on the device. This, before now, meant having to create all of your collections again, one by one, for each new device. The Kindle will now sync the collections on all devices linked to the account without being given permission, and unfortunately you cannot turn it off. It is fine for one person at a time on an account, for example, getting another Kindle and transferring the collections across. However, if two or more people with different reading interests use one account, it will sync automatically with each new device and they will have to delete all the collections that they don't want one by one. (Edit: there is now more control over the collections in update 5.4.3 - see below.)

KINDLE FREETIME:

Kindle FreeTime is a feature that can be used for sharing a device between an adult and children, and it also makes reading more interesting for children. I have set up a test profile to inform you how it works, and this info should be useful to parents.

First, you set up a profile for the child. You then add books to their library, so they can only access these books. You also set a daily reading goal, say 45 minutes. The child will gain achievements, such as "Serious Reader - read 500 pages". The adult can also see stats, for instance, time read, looked-up words, pages read, etc. The child can be also allowed to see the stats and achievements.
Access to the Kindle Store, the web browser, Wikipedia, and most of the settings is disabled in FreeTime. Multiple profiles can also be set up, and if an adult wants to resume using it, they just have to type in a password and exit FreeTime.

SOFTWARE UPDATE 5.4.3:

This update contains:

- Cloud collection improvements - you can now 'unstar' unwanted collections to hide them from the Home screen.

- PDF improvements - you can adjust the margins in the font options.

- You can access Notes from the reading menu.

- By tapping the bottom left corner you can now completely remove the 'Time left' reading, page or location number and the percentage progress through the book, leaving a nice 'pure' page. Just tap the same corner if you wish to bring them back again.

- You can also change the dictionary being used in the dictionary lookup box.

SOFTWARE UPDATE 5.4.5:

Yet another software update is here, albeit a small one. This one includes the following features:

- When zoomed in on a PDF document, there is now a little overview of the page in the top left corner, showing your location as you pan around. This is useful because you can get slightly 'lost' when zoomed in on a large page with a 6 inch screen.

- Apparently you can now read a Kindle book sample while the physical books ships. To do this, Amazon says to order the physical book and on the 'Thank You' page click 'Start Reading'. I assume that the sample is larger than a normal free sample, but even so I'm not sure how useful it is given that people with a Kindle usually buy Kindle books!

A FEW HANDY TIPS:

- Your e-Books will not be transferred between accounts. BUY ALL YOUR EBOOKS FROM ONE ACCOUNT.

- The Paperwhite should arrive already registered to the Amazon account it was purchased from, but it is extremely easy to reregister to a different account. You can do it from the settings page of the Kindle with Wi-Fi or from a computer.

- It will be slower after downloading lots of books while it indexes them. This may take about a few hours to a day for lots of books, and will also drain more battery life.

- You can email documents to the Kindle by sending to an address allocated to you by Amazon.

- Permanent bookmarks can also be saved. You can also highlight passages and write notes that are backed up on Amazon, and so you will not lose any if the device breaks.

- Foreign language to English dictionaries can be bought so you can quickly look up words in foreign books. I have one of these, and I recommend them for learning languages.

- Up to 6 devices can be registered to one account at one time.

- E-Ink screens are slower to change and refresh in cold conditions. It can be about three times as fast in a warm room, as opposed to at a temperature of around 15 or less degrees Celsius. After leaving it in the sunshine for a while it felt as fast as a tablet, and the keyboard did not lag in the slightest. (In a normal house it will be fine - my house is cold!)

- Many people complain that the Paperwhite arrives in a very flimsy box. This is true - the box is thin enough to fit through a letterbox, contains basically no padding and is labeled 'Kindle Paperwhite' for some reason. Because it is so thin your lovely new device is likely to be dropped from the height of your letterbox to the floor with no padding, but don't be too worried! The Paperwhite has been given a 'drop test' by Goodereader, and it was dropped from 5 feet onto solid concrete on its back, corner and front. There is a reasonably large amount of damage to the plastic bezel, but with a case the device would be unharmed. This is quite impressive for a device with a 6" screen like the Paperwhite! Although it is very painful to watch an expensive new device being mutilated, here is the URL if you wish to see it:

MY EXPERIENCE:

My Paperwhite arrived quickly in a small black box marked "Amazon" and "Kindle Paperwhite". (If it is a gift, select gift wrapping at the checkout!) It was extremely easy to set up, and I downloaded my 90-odd books quickly, although one at a time. There is a full Kindle User Guide on the device and an interactive tutorial that shows you how to use it.
The one flaw with my unit is a small defect in the lighting layer, resulting in a tiny pinprick of light being shone upwards. However, although I could return it, it does not bother me.

CONCLUSION:

The Paperwhite is a huge improvement over the basic Kindle, being much whiter than the basic Kindle, even in daylight. The text looks crisper and the device itself has a much higher quality feel to it. It is also faster at basically everything - there is hardly any lag when typing, and I don't know how I managed without features such as 'Time to Read' and 'Page Flip'! The touch screen is textured and feels much more like paper than LCD screens, also hardly showing fingerprints at all. In fact, after using it very regularly for over 6 months, I have not yet needed to clean it.

I personally find it well worth the extra 50 for all the extra features and the (hopefully!) longer life.

Thank you for reading! If you have any queries, feel free to ask - I'm more than happy to help.
Also, thank you so much to the people who have left such kind feedback! It is very much appreciated.

3,005 of 3,094 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Paperwhite VS Kindle Fire, 27 Nov 2013
**I will be posting this comment on the kindle fire product as well**

I love being up to date on the latest technology especially when it comes to my kindle.
I previously owned the 69 kindle and about 10 months ago I decided to upgrade my kindle. I was torn between the Paperwhite and the Kindle Fire. I followed the advice which my boyfriend suggested and bought my kindle fire, as I could use this to catch up on my emails (I am a student so I am constantly being emailed about lectures), I liked the fact it was touch screen and had a screen like my laptop.

I was drawn by the larger screen, the speakers with the Dolby Audio and the better screen resolution on the fire. I was using this for the reading my books whilst I was travelling to and from uni. I had to purchase a anti-glare screen protector as I found the glare was making it hard to read whilst I was on the bus. This didn't really make the glare go away fully but it helped. I then only used the fire for this only I never used all the other features.

I still felt like I was still missing something when I was reading. I then convinced myself to buy the paperwhite and I have never felt better when reading the books. The fact it is more like a book when I am reading I have already gone through two books in the space of 3 days.

What I am trying to say is the kindle fire is more for the watching films and browsing the internet, also playing games. Whereas the if you are looking for closely to the book feeling then you should definitely should get the paperwhite.

I know this might not be a very useful review but I wanted to get how I felt

2,240 of 2,345 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Still great, but not perfect..., 9 Oct 2013
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Although I purchased the original Kindle Paperwhite back in in October 2012, I was enticed by the additional features of this upgraded model. In particular, I was looking forward to the increased resolution of the screen and "next-gen light", which I felt may provide for an even more paper-like reading experience. My 2012 Paperwhite did suffer from a minor case of the 'blotching' issues at the bottom of the screen (which didn't disturb my personal reading experience). I have just received the upgraded Kindle Paperwhite earlier this morning and this is definitely not there with this new version. However, I have still been pondering over whether or not the new features justify an upgrade from the previous generation. Here are my thoughts.

*FIRST IMPRESSIONS*
-As with previous Kindles, the Paperwhite ships in its original box. Along with the PW, a usb cable and quick-start guide are included. If you want to offer the PW as a gift, I would strongly advise ticking the "this is a gift" option at checkout, as Amazon will then ship (at no extra charge) the PW in separate outer packaging.

-The updated PW looks identical to the previous generation, with the exception of changing the "Kindle" logo on the back of the device to "Amazon". The only other slight change is an ever so slight reduction in weight (from 213 to 206 grams).

*NEW HARDWARE*
-Improved screen: The new Paperwhite boasts an improved screen, which Amazon claims offers better contrast and "blacker blacks". Without getting too caught up on these technical details, it can be concluded that the screen definitely does look sharper and brighter. Text is visibly more crisp and stands out more. Furthermore, the brightness of the light has also increased a little, which is particularly notable when the brightness is maxed out. In fact, it is almost too bright, and I cannot imagine myself ever exceeding 75%, even in direct sunlight.

-Faster processor: The processor has also seen an improvement, from 800 MhZ to 1 GhZ, thereby supporting Amazon's claim of a "25% performance increase". Yes, page turns are slightly faster, as is returning to the home screen. However, the difference is not significant and does not really enhance the reading experience.

-Better touch technology: Amazon also claim that the touch response is more accurate with the new PW. I personally have not noticed much of a difference (although I have only owned the device for a few hours at time of writing this review!), and touch technology with e-reader screens is definitely inferior to capacitative touch screens (i.e. iPad, smart phones, etc).

*NEW SOFTWARE*
A number of new software features are available. However, these are features which Amazon could easily roll out to existing PW users through a simple software update. Whether or not they decide to do this remains to be seen.

-Kindle Page Flip allows users to scan through a book without losing their current reading page. This is a very welcome feature as I read textbooks on my Kindle and flicker back and forth a lot.

-The new PW logs words you check with the dictionary (i.e. by pressing down on a word) in a vocabulary builder, allowing you to check back on these words.

-Words checked in dictionary can now also be checked on wikipedia, where applicable. I have only tried out this feature, but as I read lots of non-fiction (mostly science books), this is very handy for checking wikipedia for complex scientific terminology.

*EXISTING FEATURES*
-Existing features from the original Paperwhite are all still here as well. Variety in font sizes, annotations, x-ray features, whisper sync and the amount of time left in a book.

-Wikipedia support and a (very!) basic web browser remain intact. For the web browser, think text only and sluggish scrolling.

-Battery life is also identical to the previous generation, with Amazon claiming ~8 weeks on standby. Realistically, with the original PW I managed to squeeze around 3-4 weeks with around 15-20 hours of reading per week.

-Wifi connectivity is again quick and easy. If you are on the road a lot and extensively use wikipedia, you may wish to opt for the 3G paperwhite.

-The size is also identical to the previous generation, evidence of which can be noted as I have housed my new PW in the previous generation's Kindle cover:

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover

*FLAWS*
When the original Paperwhite was launched last year, a few features from previous models had been removed. I had high hopes that these features would inevitably return in the second iteration of the PW. Unfortunately, it seems that these features may be gone for good (unless Amazon is planning these to be included in the 3rd PW model!).

-Once agin, there is no text-to-audio.

-The mp3 player, headphone jack and stereo speakers are also absent.

-On board memory also remains at 2GB. However, as there is no mp3 and audio playback, this is not much of an issue, as 2GB is still plenty of space to store around 1000 e-Books. Also, Amazon now stores all of your e-books in the cloud, allowing you to retrieve books at your leisure.

-Again, a wall charger is not included, meaning one must charge through their computer. However, you don't need to purchase the Kindle branded wall charger and any USB based one will work (like the one included with the iPad).

*CONCLUSION*
There is no doubt that the Paperwhite may arguably be the best e-reader on the market. The screen is a joy to read on and with a very small learning curve, caters to a wide range of consumers. Even those who are not familiar with tablets and other new gadgets on the market will feel right at home with the Kindle.

I own an iPad mini which contains the Kindle app, and know many who use their tablets for reading books on. Unfortunately, these devices with backlit screens do not even come close to the Kindle reading experience. The Kindle screen truly does look amazing and is the closest `paper-like' experience on the market today. With the added benefit of carrying your entire book collection in a single device, this is a readers dream.

However, despite the improved screen, touch response, new software features and slight bump in the processor, this new model may be difficult to recommend to existing PW owners. If you are a keen gadget enthusiast or like to have the latest version of gadgets, you may justify the purchase regardless. However, the majority of people who boarded the Paperwhite ship last year may decide to pass over this latest addition. However, if you are upgrading from the Kindle Keyboard or even the Touch, I can definitely recommend this new model, provided you can overlook the flaws I mentioned.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product. Poor reliability issues, 29 Aug 2014
Wasn't really sure what rating to give the Kindle as I have mixed feelings.
This is now my fourth kindle in two years. First kindle 59 one (then 100) broke within the warranty period. I wasn't pleased but it was swapped for the same one and I thought oh well these things happen. 14 months later that kindle broke too. I look after my products and do expect a longer lifespan than this. It was also very inconvenient as I was on holiday at the time.
So even though it was out of warranty I phoned Amazon to express my dissatisfaction with the reliability of their products and was offered a refurbished paperwhite upgrade for 67. I decided to give kindle another go as I have loads of books and really do enjoy a kindle more than 'proper books'
So new kindle arrived and very excitedly I opened the box of my new paperwhite to discover the Kindle didn't switch on!!!! It was broken. So as you can imagine I was not impressed at all.
Back on the phone to Amazon (who I must say does have excellent customer service) and this time was offered a brand new generation paperwhite instead.
I now have had this product for three days and I really really do love it. It is a massive improvement on my old one. The screen is beautiful, no ghosting. It's crisp the touch screen responsive. I love it.
So it does seem mean to only give three stars to a wonderful product, especially when backed up with excellent customer service from Amazon but my history of kindles is not a happy one and the reliability is an issue. I only hope I get a few good years now from my new kindle. At 109 (even though I didn't pay yhat) it's not a cheap purchase and really I would expect with good care taken of it at least three years use.
Time will tell.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well pleased with one annoyance, 14 July 2014
I responded to a 20 discount offer, so purchased this Kindlewhite a bit cheaper. I have been using the kindle app on my phone and iPad, but found difficulty reading in sunshine in the garden. I am well pleased with my Kindle, it does everything they say, I can now enjoy the summer sunshine, and read using the inbuilt led light when the sun goes down. I get the best of both.
I also had occasion to import my own document. I had to give a short talk in public. I have previously used the iPad for this, but I thought the kindle might be easier and lighter to handle. I prepared the short document on the iPad and emailed it as a PDF to the kindle account. The result was good, but the text was too small for me to use to glance at my notes. There is understandably no way to edit or adjust the font on a PDF,as it is pretty much a photo of your text. If you include the word "convert" in the subject field then amazon will convert your text to kindle format, which can be treated just like a book, and allows font and size to be adjusted. Hey presto! Clear and legible notes for my talk, and they go with me wherever I take the kindle. The notes are even available on my iPhone and although the size is really too small, the phone does go with me everywhere. Brilliant!
Battery charge does not last as long as some other readers, but obviously depends on how long you read and how bright you have the led back light. I have recently spent a lot of time reading, maybe two or three hours a day, I have never run the battery down yet, but I estimate I should get longer than a week under those conditions. I have just plugged it into my wife's Android phone charger for a few hours every few days - not a problem.
Although I am very pleased, especially with the discount, the device is not perfect. Occasionally it locks up. It just sticks. When this happens you can't change the page back or forward and you can't turn the kindle off. You have to hold down the button (there is only one button) for several seconds and allow the device to reboot. Last time I noticed that it had lost the place having not taken into account the current session. That is, it returned to where I started reading that morning. I have not found this occasional glitch too annoying, but i think it would be disconcerting to someone non technical. I don't rate this a serious problem really, although it should not happen, but it is the reason I only gave four stars to an otherwise excellent bit of kit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it - if you are an existing Kindle user with previous models, 1 Sep 2014
Dippy Bird (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
Having seen the TV adverts and spotting this on a summer offer of 20 reduction in price, I decided to buy this as an upgrade Kindle over my keyboard Kindle I have had for 3/4 years. I wish I hadn't wasted my money. I have no real need to adjust the brightness on my Kindle so that facility is of minor interest for me. The negatives for me are based on the principle of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Making all the operation actions via a touch screen create unnecessarily cumbersome processes compared with the original keyboard version. In particular, I find the page turning irritating. The screen is so sensitive to touch that you can inadvertently find yourself turning pages backwards or forwards while simply switching the kindle from one hand to another. I used it for a few days and got so fed up that I happily and readily returned to my original kindle where I shall remain for a long time. Knowing that a "techy" relative was considering getting a Paperwhite I offered it to him. He'd already bought one and I was reassured to find that he too experienced the same frustrations over this "improved" version of kindle. So, it goes in the drawer until I figure out what to do with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect. I've had this for a month and still ..., 20 Aug 2014
Absolutely perfect. I've had this for a month and still as excited as I first got it. I wasn't a person that did much reading but thought the investment was worth it and would probably change my ways a bit. I was right, the fact that it's so light and so easy to hold definitely helps! No need for awkward positions so you don't damage the spine of the book (yes I'm one of those).

The back-light is impeccable and makes it easy to read in the dark/light, whatever light conditions you find yourself in. Battery life, I'm sure you've read this before, it's pretty good in all this time I've charged it once and I've already read a fair share of books, used the light on and off, browsing on wifi.

Just the amount of books you have available to you for free will make your investment worth it, granted they're not always the best quality.. but there's so many that you are bound to find something that will suit your preferences. If you have primed... BONUS... you get to rent a book for free for a whole month, read it and then you can get a new one the following month (wish you could get more than one, but you know still pretty good considering what else you get for your money). If you already own DRM free books digitally that you'd want to import to your kindle you can also do that easily as amazon allows you to email your kindle and even convert unsupported types (I didn't know this at the time of purchase but it would have definitely added to my great list of why I should by one).

The only problem I've ever had with this was a crash one like the third week I had the kindle for and it was just a matter of restarting it. It did, however, lose my last few pages of progress in the book, which wasn't a massive deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this new paperwhie kindle!!!, 7 Jun 2014
Just been given a new paper white after having the keyboard kindle for almost 3 years.

Love the built in light so much easier than the pullout light from a cover. However, don't know where they get the idea that the battery lasts up to 8 weeks ... Not had this kindle for a fortnight yet and had to charge it 3 times already and it's almost flat again!!! I know i read a lot but my previous kindle did last a month, So will have to take a charger on holiday with me or just take my keyboard kindle.

I would just like to say Amazon exchanged the paper white for me and this new one's battery is last so much longer, not 8 weeks but that is down to the amount I use it .

Love it as much as the keyboard now, we'll may be more even.

5.0 out of 5 stars The right tool for the right job, 10 Aug 2014
I was bought this last Christmas as my Kindle 2 had failed, since then I have used it almost every day. The Paperwhite screen is fantastic. I'm an Android tablet and laptop owner, both of which I use everyday. However, sometimes you just want the correct tool for the job, and the Paperwhite is just that. It does one thing very, very well.

I thought it was a bit expensive for what it was but having seen that it has now dropped in price it's a bit of a "no brainer". I would certainly buy another one if I had to.

I had a few problems with accidentally touching the touch screen at first and "turning" pages when I didn't want to, but I soon got used to it. I've got large hands and am a guitar player, so I can read using one hand and wrap my thumb around the back to change pages. This has the advantage that I can read in bed whilst fully laying down. If I use my tablet at night it's brightness stops my partner getting to sleep but with the Papperwhite I can turn the brightness right down and it doesn't affect her. Which is great for both of us :-)

If you do buy one I strongly suggest that you buy a case for it. As others have mentioned e-Ink screens are susceptible to failure if dropped from any height onto a hard surface. I happened to buy a Tesco own brand one, which I picked up very cheaply on offer. There are many, many others available on this site. I tend to take the cover off when reading in bed but always use it when out and about.

In use it does what it says on the tin. I do like the inbuilt dictionary, and the ability to look up words whilst still reading is very handy. I like to think that I'm quite well read but there's always the odd word you come across that your not sure of its meaning. I'm not a great user of the store on the Kindle as I normally buy from the site using a laptop. I also use the Kindle Transfer program to move books I already have from my laptop drive to the Kindle. This is a nice feature/program that negates the requirement to plug the Kindle into the laptop and "sideload" books. This probably will not be used by most as they will buy directly from the store but it's a nice feature to be available.

Hope you all found the above useful

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted!, 22 July 2014
My 3yr old "new-style" kindle died recently and I've been dithering about whether to simply replace to whether to upgrade to the paperwhite. I'm so glad I chose the latter! The screen is soooo much clearer than my original and I love how it gently glows when I go through a tunnel on the train or if the room isn't quite bright enough for reading. Plus the touch screen is so much easier to use than fiddling around with the cursor to use the onscreen keyboard.

The only slight surprise was the weight - it is significantly heavier than the older version. In the end I also purchased the amazon "book-type" case, and although expensive, I'm glad I did. Its excellent quality and the book style does distribute the weight of the device to make it much more comfortable to hold.