5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for the creative blogger

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not that great
Published 19 months ago by zee

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not that great, 31 Dec 2012
zee (sheffield) - See all my reviews
I bought this because i wanted to create a successful blog and possibly use as a bouncing board for my crafts. The book arrived quickly so no complaints there and then i begain to eagerly read. I have to say that it wasnt what i expected. I would say that my blog skill is about a 1 on a scale of maybe 5. 5 being expert. A lot of the info given was what i figured out for myself from googling and reading blogs so i found that disappointing.

I had created a wordpress blog already and wanted to boast ways of making it look more visually pleasing and use content for the better. A lot of the content in the book is about what others had done i.e a picture of a website with link address for you to go see what someone else had done. It then follows with a short chapter on a short how to.

I had hoped it would give me examples of what i could do like it says in the title win business and make contact and build success and i didnt really find that much of it and only wish there had been more.

The content is good and its nice to have information in one place for quick reference and the websites that are examples are cool i just wish it explained how they got that way was it because they paid someone, paid a site with themes etc or are great artists that have done it all themselves. Hence the 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for the creative blogger, 20 Aug 2012
I was interviewed as part of this book, but had no sight of it until it was published. I was very impressed with the book when I got my copy and although I've been blogging for a few years, I still learnt a few things from it. For a creative business new to blogging, this book is inspiring as the examples within it are from blogs which are really making the most of blogging technology with beautiful use of graphics. The book also shows that you don't need to be a techie to set up a blog, but still have a good looking blog that will showcase your creative business.

The book is split into 13 chapters from the absolute basics of blogging, and `what is a blog', to how blogs work, blogging platforms, setting one up, creating content and promoting the blog. Within each chapter are plenty of case studies from other creative bloggers, and this is where the book really stands out.

I would highly recommend this book to small business owners wanting to get the most out of their blog, or get started with blogging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and inspiring for beginners and those blogging for a while, 21 Sep 2012
I run a blogging network, so see a lot of books on how-to. What I really love about this one is how fresh it looks and how it includes some much advice from a wide array of bloggers. There are pictures of blogs for inspiration and nuts and bolts tips on how to do different things. By including bloggers in their own voices, it emphasizes how blogging is an evolving space where we can all learn from each other.

The perfect book to buy the budding blogger in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 25 Aug 2013
read it cover to cover. many ideas to explore and simple pleasant reading. instructive without being boring. now I need to go back and explore some of the many blog links mentioned inside the book. would recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginners guide to blogging, 14 Oct 2012
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:15 Mins

Blogging for Creatives is a helpful starting guide to blogging for those into art, crafting and design. Actually, the book is written in a manner that's applicable to general bloggers as well, just that most examples featured are of art and design, and sometimes cooking.

This book has many helpful tips on blogging and getting up to speed. It assumes no prior knowledge and the instructions are always clear and concise. So the book is great for beginners.

Here's the list of chapters:

+ Get Started
+ PR and Your Blog
+ Monitoring Your Blog's Performance
+ Troubleshooting
+ Let's Blog

The book covers the basic setting up of the three main blogging platforms, namely Google's Blogger, Wordpress and Tumblr. There's a good comparison between the Wordpress blogging software and the Wordpress blog hosting platform that explains the difference well. It's quite important to know the differences because there are certain peculiar limitations to the Wordpress blog hosting.

After setting up, it talks about ideas generating content, marketing and measuring your blog's performance. Those are all essential skills. I've been blogging for several years and have learned from experience much of what's taught in the book. The book does a good job of covering the basics.

I like the many examples of blogs showcased. They are beautiful, inspiring and really shows the potential of blogging.

Highly recommended to beginner bloggers.

If you want more inspiration, I would also recommend the books Blogging Heroes and Clear Blogging. These two books are on case studies of successful blogs and provide more in depth blogging philosophy.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice book, 11 Oct 2013
This book is really good and provides good basic information for blogging and gives plenty of examples from blogs. Very inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers all my questions about blogging, and some I hadn't even thought of, 15 Nov 2012
Catherine (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
I received this book a couple of days ago, at which point I knew next to nothing about blogging. So far the book has answered all my questions, concisely but thoroughly. It's beautifully produced, very well organised, and written in clear, accessible, English. What more could you want? If I actually follow through the plan of starting a blog I may find there are questions this book doesn't answer, but from my current standpoint it looks pretty comprehensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars i like this, 26 Jun 2014
J. Connelly "juliec" (london uk) - See all my reviews
it's a well layed out book plenty of pics and links and hints. I sitll have only got about half way through it, it's kind of a bit much to carry about when out and about so it hasn't been used to it's max . there is still reading material in there for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Blogging for Creatives: How Deisgners, Astists, Crafters and Writers can Blog to Make Contacts, Win Business and Build Success (Kindle Edition)
Found this to be usefully and full of great ideas and strategies to help you not only get started in blogging but keeping it going once you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 5 Dec 2013
Good book for getting more creative on your blog, has lots of ideas and tips to improve the blog you have. A good read.