Format: DVD|Change

on 9 September 2013
This dvd includes the film The Secret Adversary (based on Agatha Christie's book with the same title) and a 10-part series Partners in Crime (based on a collection of her short stories). The sound and picture quality are pretty good (the productions are almost 30 years old) and there are subtitles and some extras (e.g. on Tuppence's dresses).

Both the film and the series are very enjoyable, especially if you like a somewhat slow-paced old-fashioned crime drama. James Warwick makes a perfect Tommy - very likeable, sharp-witted when necessary, extremely well-mannered and polite, sometimes a bit clumsy in a very charming way. Francesca Annis is a good Tuppence as well, although I never thought her so much focused on her looks and clothes from the books - but the fashion itself is also interesting to watch.

On the whole, a pleasure!
Although adaptations of Agatha Christie's novels on television seem to have been an ever-present staple, in fact it was only in the early 1980's that they began to appear with any regularity.

Before then, first Christie and then later her literary executors tended to keep a tight reign on the explotation of her books. However, in 1980 ITV adapted the novel Why Didn't They Ask Evans?, this was followed by The Seven Dials Mystery  in 1981 and 1982 saw The Agatha Christie Hour, a series adapted from some of Christie's early short stories.

All of these proved popular, so ITV were looking for another book or series of short stories to adapt in 1983. Both Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot were off limits at the time, so LWT plumped for the adventures of Tommy & Tuppence Beresford.

Tommy & Tuppence were introduced in the 1922 novel, The Secret Adversary, and they were to re-appear a few years later in the short story collection Partners in Crime.

Therefore it made sense to launch the series with the feature length Secret Adversary (shot entirely on film, unlike the film/VT mix of the rest of the series) and this was followed up with ten 50 minute episodes drawn from the Partners in Crime book.

Both James Warwick (Tommy) and Francesca Annis (Tuppence) were old hands with the Christie adaptations, they had appeared together in Why Didn't They Ask Evans? and Warwick had also starred in The Seven Dials Mystery.

A great deal of the success of the series is down to the two leads - as both Warwick and Annis are perfect, pitching their performances just right, both being humourous without descending into parody.

In The Secret Adversary, Tommy and Tuppence, who long for adventure, find their dreams are answered when the mysterious Mr Carter (who is connected somehow to British Intelligence) offers them a chance to serve their country and unmask a deadly conspiracy. By the time of Partners in Crime, Tommy has acquired a detective agency by slightly odd means, allowing both himself and Tuppence to become tangled up in numerous mysterious affairs.

Reece Dinsdale and Arthur Cox provide solid support throughout the series and there are plenty of familiar faces guest-starring, such as George Baker, Peter Barkworth, Honor Blackman, Graham Crowden, Dulcie Gray, Joan Sanderson, Liz Smith, Denis Lil, T.P. McKenna, Clive Merrison, Anne Stallybrass and Shane Rimmer.

Although Partners in Crime might not be top-draw Christie - compared to the best of Poirot and Miss Marple some of the stories are quite slight - the performances of James Warwick and Francesca Annis as well as the love and care put into both the adaptations and production make this a highly enjoyable series.
on 28 October 2013
The two main leads are class actors who bring lots of humour and pizazz to the characters and scripts. The settingsand period details are superb, as are the marvellous costumes which Francesca Annis wears with such elegance. Timely release of this '20's series which coincides with the present Downton era.
on 28 June 2014
I am more a fan of the full length Tommy and Tuppence books, but this set did a great job in the bringing the short stories to life.

I think the casting was perfect - can't imagine anyone else who could capture the playfulness, the elegance and the time period quite so well.

Other than "The Secret Adversary", most of the sets have that backlot, sound stage look - but that seemed to be characteristic of the 80s LWT ("Two's Company", anyone?) Maybe it's the nostalgia in me, but I loved it and felt it added to the charm.

Found the DVD set a bit difficult to find in years past, so when I saw it was available - snatched it up and quite glad I did!
on 11 July 2015
As an avid Agatha Christie audiobook listener and television watcher, I can say with complete sincerity that this series is among my all time favourites. I watched the last 20 minutes of The Secret Adversary some years ago when it was shown live but I couldn't find the DVD itself. I was so happy when I came across this box set particularly after the recent and shockingly bad adaptation of By the Picking of my Thumbs. I believe that the BBC are releasing 2 three part dramas of The Secret Adversary and N or M this year. I cannot say that I have high expectations of it at all, but we shall have to wait and see.

The episodes themselves are quite faithful to the books, even using a lot of Agatha Christies own dialogue. It's true that the series is a bit dated now and a few of the sets look rather fake. However, Francesca Annis and James Warwick's fabulous on screen chemistry more than makes up for it. It is refreshing to watch a program where the quality of the acting and script so clearly shines through, rather than the special effects and camera work.
I'm not the Christie aficionado in our household - as Basil Fawlty said,my wife handles all such matters. This was one of my presents to her a few Christmases ago. All I can tell you is that she watched the 2015 series starring David Walliams and Jessica Raine and was very disappointed with it, saying that this 1980s version was far superior in every way.
on 26 October 2013
Its filmed in a Studio and you can see that. But nevertheless, it's simply wonderful. And with english subtitles for HOH or people learning english.
Here we are presented with the ITV feature length drama The Secret Adversary, and the ten part series that followed Partners in Crime, all shown back in 1983, and the very beginning of 1984. If you have only seen the later series with David Walliams and Jessica Raine and were suitably unimpressed don’t be put off by them, as this 3 DVD collection is so much better.

Due to the age of these and that they were made for TV the picture quality isn’t as good as we get nowadays with HD, but it is still perfectly okay to watch. These weren’t that greatly received in this country when they were first shown, but interest did arise in other countries and this has been repeated a few times since over the years, the last time I think was on ITV3.

Starring James Warwick as Tommy, and Francesca Amis as Tuppence these programmes are based around some of the Tommy and Tuppence tales of Agatha Christie. Although these particular tales are not my favourites from the pen of the great crime writer, they are still entertaining. Although Agatha enjoyed writing the original stories that these are based on, to be honest they aren’t as good as Poirot or Miss Marple, but I still find that watching these gives me great pleasure.

There is some rather camp acting at times in this series, which does increase the amusement for us watching these, and some good humour is thrown in as well. Top here of course has to be Tuppence and her costumes, most noticeably her hats.

This box set is entertaining and gives you a break from your everyday life. There are subtitles here as well as other extras. These extras though I should point out are just screen things and no interviews or such like. So we have the filmography lists of the two stars, an Agatha Christie bibliography and biography, as well as stills of Tuppence’s fashions.
on 10 June 2014
ITV2 was repeating these earlier Earlier in the Year and I was hooked. As I am a Poirot, Miss Marple (Margraret Rutherford, Joan Hickson) and any Murder, Mystery Detective Show Fan, I knew Partners in Crime would be a HIT for me.

With Albert, Tommy and Tuppence Sleuth their way through each case, both looking Elegant, Sophistcated and Classy. The Clothes are to die for. This really is Sleuthing at its BEST.

This DVD has every episode and one feature length. So you get you Moneys worth. My Beloved Sister purchased this DVD for me and I watch them all the time.

I just love to see them solve each Case with such Grace and Class. And the Music is Delightful. This DVD is a must have for all budding Detectives (like me)
on 28 September 2015
So much better than the more recent outing off Tommy and Tuppence.This older version is more stagey perhaps but the production is wonderful and the series is set in the 1920s; great costumes,cars and convincing sets.The two lead actors Francesca Annis and James Warwick are superb .Their chemistry together sparkles.This is a perfect set for long winter evenings.My wife and I love it.