on 12 November 2013
I am really enjoying this series - the first one was a joy to read, and the second one followed suit! The main character is lively, fun and intelligent, the story bounces along and there are no major plot holes. Unlike many of the current crop of fantasy with vampires and werewolves, the plot is not hijacked by idiotic romance, and the female character does not swoon and check her brain at the door when confronted by a handsome man. My only regret is that it will be so long before I get to read the next one. Buy this one, and if you haven't read her other series (Soulless etc) then I strongly advise you to go get them too!
Ah, Gail Carrigers wonderful Steampunk Victoriana Young Adult series returns with the second outing that will leave readers in no doubt that this series is here to stay. Its quirky, has great characters and when you add the growth of them within the piece based from their original adventures alongside how the events have helped shape them all round makes this something not only a delight to devour but a piece that I thoroughly enjoyed without noticing what the time was.

As with Gail's other work, its instantly identifiable as hers, the prose skips off the page, the prose helping you just dance along the writing whilst at the same time learning to appreciate what the characters go through as each situation merits. Back this up with some great twists, some cracking one liners and all round I was a more than happy reader.
on 10 December 2013
This new series of Gail Carriger's just gets better for me as it goes along. It's such fun to meet again some of the characters, albeit younger,(and in the case of Professor Lefoux - alive!), which we have already met in Petticoat Protectorate. No Carriger story is complete for me, however, without Lord Akeldama in it somewhere - here we encounter him again - oh joy!

When I first tried this new series I wasn't sure that I was going to like any new heroine better than Alexia but I think Sophronia has proved me wrong. How could I have anything but the greatest of admiration for a young lady who can climb wherever she wishes on a gigantic, floating airship in a crinoline?! Oh, and I want my very own Bumbersnoot!
on 17 February 2014
Curtsies and Conspiracies is noticeably rougher than previous books by Gail Carriger but still packs in all the fun and charm. I tore through it in a couple of days and was glad to see the introduction of a familiar face in Lord Akeldama as well as the return of favourites like Captain Niall and Bumbersnoot. Carriger outdid herself with the ridiculous names this time around though, with Lord Dingleproops taking first prize.

I'd recommend any of Gail's Conspiracies / Parasol books to people who enjoy frivolous fiction and light-hearted adventure. I can't think of a book more perfect for winding down with after a stressful day if I'm to be honest and am really looking forward to the next in the series.
3.5 stars

Gail Carriger's Finishing School series is full of fun and whimsy and it's perfect for when you're looking for a light hearted read that will have you smiling from start to finish. I really enjoyed Etiquette & Espionage so of course couldn't wait to pick up Curtsies & Conspiracies (don't you just love these book titles?!) and I enjoyed the sequel just as much.

These characters are just so much fun to read about, Sophronia always manages to get herself into incredibly amusing situations but she also uses her brains to get herself out of them. I absolutely love the world that the author has created, there is no doubt that this is a wonderful steampunk setting full of interesting gadgets, finishing schools on board flying airships and an adorable mechanical dog called Bumbersnoot. Add in vampires, werewolves and all manner of crazy antics from a group of teenage spies and you're in for a treat.

There is nothing serious about these books and they are the perfect way to pass a few hours when you just want something that is going to take you away from real life and let you live in a fantasy world. In some ways I would like a more complicated plot but overall I'm just enjoying the series so much that I don't want to change anything. I'm already looking forward to spending more time with Sophronia and her gang and the next book (that happens to have another awesome title - Waistcoats & Weaponry) is already at the top of my wish list.
on 5 November 2013
I've been waiting for this volume of the Finishing School series with ill disguised excitement... having read the first volume five times since buying it in May!

Sophronia is a talented young lady, and her friends are just as fun as they were in the first book. The inclusion of students from Bunsen's just adds to the entertainment, especially as Sophronia has an admirer amongst them. I won't talk any more about the story as I don't want to spoil anyone's enjoyment...

I love the world that Gail Carriger has created - initially through the Parasol Protectorate - and the glimpse into the early lives of certain of the characters from those books is fascinating. The writing is captivating and the action exciting. It is one of those books that you can easily see becoming a film due to the author's attention to detail and sense of humour.

I can't wait to see what Ms Carriger can come up with next, especially since the introduction of a particular vampire dandy means that it can only get more colourful and entertaining!
on 10 January 2014
This book picks up from the first and doesn't let go. It trundles along and slowly builds to a great (temporary) conclusion.

The appearance of a character from the parasol protectorate was a nice treat and perfectly used.

A joy to read. Bring on no3!!
on 21 November 2013
Another wonderful romp, by airship finishing school, through the steampunk version of Victorian England.

As always there are some serious moments, and actions have consequences - which help to make Gail Carriger's world very believable.
on 6 November 2013
Gail carrier books are always worth reading. This is the second in the prequel series to the soulless books, and is very amusing, introducing younger versions of characters.
on 2 January 2014
Another great book from Carriger! This young adult steampunk has great characters, good pace and plenty of tea. I would definitely recommend it!