5.0 out of 5 stars Product Update, 20 Aug 2013
Mr. P. Mabley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver: 4th Doctor (with Sound FX) (Toy)
The review states this model of the Sonic Screwdriver only has two sounds, both of which was from the 'newer' Tennant / Smith versions. I bought this yesterday and can confirm that it has half a dozen sounds which are more authentic to the original TV prop.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic piece of kit, 22 Aug 2013
M. R. Robinson "bookaholic" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have wanted one of these most of my life and at 41 I finally own my own 4th Doctor sonic screwdriver.

The product looks very good and being made out of what seems to be reasonably sturdy plastic should stand up to being played with well. Very rough play may possibly result in the emitter head (the circular top section) breaking off but I think it would last a good while. That doesn't matter to me as I will only really use it with my fancy dress costume.

The price is very good too. I have seen other replicas of this kind priced much higher and that has always put me off buying one before now.

To be honest it would have received the full 5 stars but for one thing. As has been said on this site and other review sites the 2 sound effects it makes are completely wrong. The instruction leaflet says the sounds are "taken directly from the TV series". This is true but they are the sounds applicable to the prop used by David Tennant as the 10th Doctor.

As this toy is obviously endorsed by the BBC (BBC and Doctor Who logos are on the packaging along with a photo of Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor) it seems strange that the sounds are not correct (I understand all the toys in this range make the same sounds) particularly as this has been commented on many times over the past few years. By now I would have thought the problem could have been fixed.

However I knew of this problem before I bought it but as you can't get one with the correct sounds I decided to buy it anyway and I am still very pleased with it. I think any fan of the show will be happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro sonic!, 12 July 2013
Delivery was first rate, the item itself, for me, is an iconic piece of Who history. Of all the Sonic's that stood out for me, it was this one. A must have for any Who fan young or old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonic Delight, 23 Jun 2014
A. J. Riley (Tyldesley, Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ah, the Fourth Doctor! And here an authentic looking sonic screwdriver. The kids love it and maybe so do I (don't tell anyone) but it doesn't seem to unlock doors.......

5.0 out of 5 stars christmas present, 3 Jan 2014
I ordered this quite late and it still arrived in time for the big day! It does just what it says it does.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4th Doctor screwdriver, 14 Dec 2013
Looks very much like the real 4th doctors sonic screwdriver, cannot comment on durability as it is a present for my hubbie so he can play the two doctors with his son (11th doctor) :). Packaged well and arrived promptly, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Would you like a Jelly Baby?", 18 May 2013
TheEnthusiastCollector "Ben" (Llangefni, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Yes, the iconic Tom Baker Sonic Screwdriver. Sonic Screwdriver: Mark III to be specific. Usually uses it to destroy mines, burn metal doors, unlock doors etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Purchase, 5 Aug 2013
This iconic screwdriver is a fantastic edition to any Doctor Who fans collection!

The detail is fantastic and the it is clear that Character Options took a lot of time to copy the detail from the original on-screen prop.

The screwdriver features 2 sound effects that have just been copied from David Tennants screwdriver. This is okay, but I would of liked for the screwdriver to of come with the actual sound effects from the show.

Overall, a great screwdriver for an excellent price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Aug 2014