Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 15 October 2015
Sex is in the heel apparently. I haven't noticed in my loakes or my mules, but THIS IS SUPERB! Cyndi is an incredible writer - this is a must for any fan. HOWEVER, the British accents are hysterical. Can't wait for the British one so I can put this on ebay.
on 25 June 2013
Saw the show on Broadway and could not wait to obtain a lasting memory of one of the best to hit the Broadway stage for some time. Amazing tracks - brilliant lyrics - I'm not my father's son is perhaps the most haunting.

Let's hope it reaches London soon - if not Northampton.
on 4 June 2013
Lets put my review title in perspective:
I LOVE musicals. I collect recordings of musicals. I've reviewed a lot of musicals too. I've even performed in a couple. So, I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to reviewing one. I also have been a fan of Cyndi Lauper since her very first album and I've stayed a fan throughout her career. She's a very talented singer, songwriter and performer and, in my opinion, much more talented than Madonna (not to annoy Madonna fans - been a fan of hers since the '80's too!).

So, why have I given this years Tony Award nominated (for Best Musical) only 3 stars?

Answer: it's forgettable.

When I receive a new musical I leave it in my CD player for a few days and it's all I listen to. I received my copy of Kinky Boots three days ago and I've listened to it about 12 times. So far only ONE song has actually stood out as being something original and worthy of my full attention. That song is 'Not My Father's Son'. Everything else has blurred into one. There are no real stand-out tracks that make you sit up and pay attention. The closest we come to one is the finale number 'Raise You Up / Just Be' - which, while being a great finale song, is still not great.

I really wanted to love this show. I love the film it's based on and I love both Cyndi Lauper and Harvey Fierstein (whose written the stageplay). But, I simply can't.
It's a good show and I will definitely be keeping it and giving it many more listens; but, for me at least, this is never going to be a Top 100 show.

I recently reviewed a wonderful show called Dogfight - which, apparently, was knocked out of the Tony Award nominees by Kinky Boots. Personally, I think that's a travesty. Never has a show been more deserving of a nomination than Dogfight; and, when compared to Kinky Boots - it's damned near perfect.

The other reviewer on here states that this is "happy and upbeat" and they are entirely correct. This is a fun, happy, upbeat album. But, fun and happy does not always make for a great musical.

If you want to listen to some truly great, recent musicals then try: Ghost The Musical, Carrie the Musical, Dogfight, Chaplin, Matilda the Musical, Bring it On the Musical, The Mystery of Edwin Drood (2012 Broadway Revival) or Bonnie & Clyde.
There are so many great musicals to choose from out there - Kinky Boots just isn't one of them.
on 8 May 2015
Have grown to love this cd but initially I was appalled (still am) by the dreadful accents.. Broadway does (not) Northampton!!?? What are some of these guys playing at??? .. dialect coach should be sacked.. it's almost as bad as the (let's pick an accent) CD version of 'The Secret Garden'.. really spoils the listening pleasure... Thank God it's coming over to London to be performed by Brits!!.. even though Charlie Price is being played by Killian Donnelly.. who is seriously Irish!!!
on 30 May 2014
Being a lover of musicals anyway, I was obviously going to love it. I didn't, however, take into account that people I know who don't love musicals adore the music as well. With a mix of 80s and modern music vibes, Cyndi Lauper has really pulled it out the bag - no wonder she won a Tony for it!
on 1 April 2016
The CD and West End show are fabulous. I have this permanently playing in my car and now know all the words to every song. It is really uplifting, feel good music that I sing at the top of my voice.
on 30 May 2013
Love every song such a great album. So happy and upbeat great to listen to when you need a pick me up.
on 8 December 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed the show - how could I not want to listen to the music and remember how it felt to be entertained
on 8 May 2016
Brilliant album, some of the accents are a bit dodgy, but otherwise it's lots of fun and I would highly recommend!
on 4 March 2016
Wait for the Original London Cast CD which is out on 1st April 2016. It is a live recording & will be much better.