5.0 out of 5 stars A HIT A HIT A HIT. THEY NAILED IT
Saw the show on Broadway and could not wait to obtain a lasting memory of one of the best to hit the Broadway stage for some time. Amazing tracks - brilliant lyrics - I'm not my father's son is perhaps the most haunting.

Let's hope it reaches London soon - if not Northampton.
Published 18 months ago by MIDDLETON MAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the Road
Lets put my review title in perspective:
Published 19 months ago by Pantheon

5.0 out of 5 stars A HIT A HIT A HIT. THEY NAILED IT, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Kinky Boots - O.B.C. (Audio CD)

Let's hope it reaches London soon - if not Northampton.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the Road, 4 Jun 2013
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Lets put my review title in perspective:
I LOVE musicals. I collect recordings of musicals. I've reviewed a lot of musicals too. I've even performed in a couple. So, I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to reviewing one. I also have been a fan of Cyndi Lauper since her very first album and I've stayed a fan throughout her career. She's a very talented singer, songwriter and performer and, in my opinion, much more talented than Madonna (not to annoy Madonna fans - been a fan of hers since the '80's too!).

So, why have I given this years Tony Award nominated (for Best Musical) only 3 stars?

Answer: it's forgettable.

When I receive a new musical I leave it in my CD player for a few days and it's all I listen to. I received my copy of Kinky Boots three days ago and I've listened to it about 12 times. So far only ONE song has actually stood out as being something original and worthy of my full attention. That song is 'Not My Father's Son'. Everything else has blurred into one. There are no real stand-out tracks that make you sit up and pay attention. The closest we come to one is the finale number 'Raise You Up / Just Be' - which, while being a great finale song, is still not great.

I really wanted to love this show. I love the film it's based on and I love both Cyndi Lauper and Harvey Fierstein (whose written the stageplay). But, I simply can't.
It's a good show and I will definitely be keeping it and giving it many more listens; but, for me at least, this is never going to be a Top 100 show.

I recently reviewed a wonderful show called Dogfight - which, apparently, was knocked out of the Tony Award nominees by Kinky Boots. Personally, I think that's a travesty. Never has a show been more deserving of a nomination than Dogfight; and, when compared to Kinky Boots - it's damned near perfect.

The other reviewer on here states that this is "happy and upbeat" and they are entirely correct. This is a fun, happy, upbeat album. But, fun and happy does not always make for a great musical.

If you want to listen to some truly great, recent musicals then try: Ghost The Musical, Carrie the Musical, Dogfight, Chaplin, Matilda the Musical, Bring it On the Musical, The Mystery of Edwin Drood (2012 Broadway Revival) or Bonnie & Clyde.
There are so many great musicals to choose from out there - Kinky Boots just isn't one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic recording for everyone, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Kinky Boots - O.B.C. (Audio CD)
Being a lover of musicals anyway, I was obviously going to love it. I didn't, however, take into account that people I know who don't love musicals adore the music as well. With a mix of 80s and modern music vibes, Cyndi Lauper has really pulled it out the bag - no wonder she won a Tony for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Kinky Boots - O.B.C. (Audio CD)
Love every song such a great album. So happy and upbeat great to listen to when you need a pick me up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinky Boots, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Kinky Boots - O.B.C. (Audio CD)
An interesting recording of a new show. Great to hear a new score with an unfamiliar composer. Looking forward to getting to know the show

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Sep 2014
Great

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves the awards, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: Kinky Boots - O.B.C. (Audio CD)
Great cart album, and great musical theatre debut for the writing talents of Cyndi Lauper. Can just imagine her singing some of the songs. Again, slow delivery from Amazon.

Kinky Boots (Original Broadway Cast Recording)
Kinky Boots (Original Broadway Cast Recording) by Original Broadway Cast Recording
Buy MP3 Album£7.09