5.0 out of 5 stars Ramp up your brain, 18 Jun 2013
I've only read the first three chapters of this book, but I've already learnt how to implement a programming language in another programming language! It's also helped my learn some Ruby as a helpful side-effect. On the quality of writing, the book is clear, concise (yet with just the right amount of detail) and straightforward to read. It shows a genuine passion for the subject and turns what could be a dry subject into mentally stimulating read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geek Fun!, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Understanding Computation: From Simple Machines to Impossible Programs (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable look at some deep computation theory, with worked examples in the Ruby programming language. This book gets quite technical but the examples really help. I found some of the content familiar from my computer science degree but it was nice to have everything pulled together into a coherent whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and precise, 18 Mar 2014
Henry Biney "hbiney" (edinburgh) - See all my reviews
The author explains a key concepts of computation in ways that I never thought possible. The exposition is clear and well presented. These are concepts I struggled with while at university... I wish this book was released while I was CS student!

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to follow, 30 Dec 2013
I think the hugely impressive strength of this book is the total simplification of what can otherwise become confusingly exclusive geeky jargon. It has already been recommended to IT Departments and considered an asset in educational circles, where methodical clarity is a must have.