5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Published 22 months ago by Sally

3.0 out of 5 stars Very watchable but ...
I did enjoy watching this but only once I made a conscious effort to separate the characters from the books and the film portrayals (Anthony Hopkins will always be Hannibal to me) to this tv series as otherwise the inconsistencies in plot, dialogue and character were too offputting. As other people have commented some episodes were implausible ie how did the angel serial...
Published 14 months ago by Octillio

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Sept. 2013
Mads acting is outstanding as Hannibal Lecter in this series! He plays the character so well. Creepy yet strangely compelling! I love the way he invites people to dinner parties and is feeding them his victims. Sitting there with an almost smug look on his face! While in the morgue his victims are stacking up with parts missing and they are all puzzling over the crimes. Hugh Dancy is very good as well and i love how he deconstructs the murder scenes to get into the 'killers' mindset!

My only complaint is the extras do not contain the gag reel which apparently is on the American version! Does not seem very fair! There are some on youtube which are hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, watch this series., 20 Jun. 2013
So, my sister began watching this and told me it was something that I would be immensely interested in. I had no idea why, and to be honest, I knew very little of the genre built up around Hannibal the Cannibal. I of course knew bits here and there but I was too busy with other shows. My sister informed me that it was due to my psychological studies that I would involve myself with it.
Begrudgingly, hating that my sister is usually right in these instances, I tuned up and from the get go I was hooked. So much so, that I have invested in the set of Hannibal books, watched all the movies and other things identified with the character.
This series is nothing short of stunning. Both visually and in the dialogue and in the story-telling. It spurs the imagination into the darkest surpluses of the mind and with it brings fascinating points of interest. I had never heard of some of the things that occur in this show and was spurred to find out more.
Mads Mikkelson is for me definitely the Hannibal I most appreciate. He has taken a very different approach to Hopkins and Cox and not only has created a truly terrifying version but mixed it with so much humanity that I can believe this to be a real person. The manipulation starts right off the bat as Lecter takes Will Graham Alana Bloom (changed into a female by Bryan Fuller and was originally Alan Bloom) Jack Crawford and Freddy Lounds (also changed into a woman) These changes open up so many brilliant new ways to gain perspective on the original tales. In no way do the changes seem forced and actually suit the characters a lot better than whereas they were men.
Subtle hints and speech is taken directly from the source material, and is given so beautifully that it seems so natural.
Hugh Dancy is superb. His incredible performance makes you actually believe he's going mad and it's truly spectacular to watch not to mention completely heart-breaking. On occasion his accent does break, but it's easily ignored. Especially when you're so focused on the brilliant story-telling.
They use suspense so well in this show, you never see Hannibal actually butchering people, he is only shown to kill them or imply that he killed them. Nothing more. And it fixates you due to the fact that the audience knows this, knows that Hannibal is behind it all, and makes his jokes such as "It's good to have an old friend for dinner" much more terrifying.
I look forward to owning this DVD, and of course the season finale and even more so with the prospect that it has been renewed for a second series.
Well done NBC America and Bryan Fuller. This show will win awards for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a hopeless Fannibal, 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
If you're a viewer of sophisticated taste, and you do not fear meandering in darkness, this is the show for you. I have a profound admiration for the production design behind this series, and the cleverness of plot and dialogue that concur to one of the most twistedly captivating atmospheres I've ever experienced in watching a show. The level of detail is stunning, and it dramatically increases the rewatchability factor. You'll find yourself watching each episode several time to savour (pun intended) Hannibal's table centerpiece, his drop-dead gorgeous attires, Hugh Dancy's outstanding performance, the subtlety of the actors and actresses, the nerve-racking humourous moments, and, if you're into cooking, you could literally spend hours to discover every detail of Doctor Lecter's fabulous kitchen. I've recently watched the last episode and saw the trailer for season two a bit later and it got me extremely excited. Bryan Fuller made his intentions clear: he wants to develop a seven seasons arc where the first three will see Will catch Hannibal, season 4 will be a reenvisioning of Red Dragon, season 5 of The Silence of the Lambs, season 6 of Hannibal, and the last season covering new ground. If you'll end up being as attracted to this show as I am, you'll be dreaming of the possibilty this series has to become - with Fuller's genius and his amazing team holding the reins throught the entire arc - an absolute masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch this and become addicted! Eagerly awaiting series 2, 7 Aug. 2013
Amy Johnson (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I decided to watch this online since I don't have Sky so I couldn't watch it on telly when it was being broadcast in the UK. I gave it a shot because this show is all over the blogging site Tumblr and it looked really interesting, but I'll admit it took me a few episodes to get properly addicted. However, once I got to episode 3, I was ploughing through the episodes, have pre-ordered this DVD set, and now I am eagerly awaiting season 2.

The series starts off immediately showing the viewer Will Graham's unique talent of thinking how serial killers do, and you go inside his head to "see" him kill two people and explain how he did it along the way. Even this first scene sets the stage for the beautiful cinematography throughout the entire series. It also introduces you to the unflinching violence in Hannibal and I must warn you if you're squeamish, you will not like some of the scenes in this show. I'd say I was pretty good with blood and gore (two of my favourites shows are The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones) but there's an episode in this season I can barely watch, it's so tense and gross! Not to put you off or anything.

The show has a fantastic cast (Mads Mikkelsen, Hugh Dancy, Laurence Fishburne and Gillian Anderson are my standouts), beautiful scenery and a very intelligent plotline, where everything fits into place. By the end, you'll be shouting at the screen (probably at Hannibal and the way he's so cleverly manipulating poor Will). Also, I may have an odd sense of humour but there is some cracking one-liner's in this show, primarily from Hannibal ("You put the life in your belly and you live!", "I have no taste for animal cruelty, which is why I employ an ethical butcher.") A scene that made me chuckle is where Alana Bloom (Will's doctor) is trying to guess the tastes in Hannibal's beer. It's people, Alana. The beer is made of people.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own. Unbelievably good., 22 Sept. 2013
I'm a massive fan of such shows as CSI, Castle, The Mentalist and a lot of other crime procedural dramas. But never being much of a fan of Silence of the Lambs i was a bit reluctant to watch this show. But i'm eating my words now. Sometimes a tv show comes along that is just insanely good (CSI, Lost, Alias, Fringe, Prison Break). Hannibal is one of those shows. In fact, i'd go so far as to say it is the best new show i have seen in years. Taking place before the events of all the books and movies, this show tells the story of Hannibal and Will Graham who are in the employ of the FBI, helping to track and catch serial killers. Littered throughout are hints and forebodings to Hannibal's future. But rather than copying the movies, this expands and develops Hannibal's character.
The biggest thing this show has going for it, is its cast. Hugh Dancy is great as the paranoid, mentally unstable Will Graham who gets in the minds of the serial killers to help understand and then catch them. Mads Mikkelesen is equally brilliant as Lecter, the psychiatrist assigned to help Will Graham. Laurence Fishburne is a great choice as Jack Crawford, head of the unit investigating the murders. He plays a character somewhat similar to the one he did in CSI, but far more tormented and ruthless. The guest stars are all equally great, Gillian Anderson is sexy as Lecter's own shrink and Eddie Izzard has fun as a crazy serial killer.
The second best thing about this show is the writing. Every single episode is masterfully written: full of tense dialogue, intriguing plot twists, gruesome, creative murders and an unrelenting pace. The production values are some the highest i have ever seen in a tv show. Each episode looks like a big-budget movie. The soundtrack is creepy and elegant, adding to the feel of the show and generating some great tension- especially in scenes involving Graham and Lecter. Every episode is also brilliantly directed.
Overall this is an awesome show. As addictive as Lost and CSI, but definitely in a class of its own. Not one episode is even slightly boring or mundane. But, be warned, there are some pretty intense, scary scenes and plenty of gore and horrific murders here. Those of a nervous disposition should either skip it or man-up. I can't say enough of how brilliant this show is. Definitely in my top ten, maybe even top five. And with a second season already in the works, i think this could be the next big show on tv.

Highly, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally a show that treats me like an adult, 18 Jun. 2013
I have watched the first 10 episodes and have been enthralled by this dark slice of television. pre-ordered!

I do enjoy Mads as Hannibal. I know it's sacrilege but I never found Anthony Hopkins frightening. this Hannibal is more subdued with small imperceptible smirks and looks that speak volumes to the viewer.

Also it has very little exposition in the sense of characters explaining what is going on and it must be praised for it's music score. dark and ambient and not a whiff of the awful pop music montage that end most american tv shoes these days featuring characters walking around in slow motion or looking wistfully at computer screens.

Some of the violence is shocking but isn't that what it is supposed to be. We must watch ten people a day die in sanitized fashions on TV and blink it away. the deaths in the program have haunted me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Devoured it in a few days, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
Every pun intended.. What can I say that has not been said before about this series. Not a lot I guess but it has been a long time since I have enjoyed and admired a TV series as much as this.

Negatives

It is a little impeded by the need to complete a story arc in each episode, or certainly it felt that way in the early episodes. However the brilliance of the show is that it does have a X-File murder/mystery of the week coupled with a very satisfying overall series arc as well. I also prefer William Petersen's portrayal of Will Graham in Manhunter as well, Hugh Dancy can be just a bit too "twitchy" for my liking. These are just minor points there is nothing wrong with Dancy, it is just Manhunter is one of my favorite films.

Positives

Excellent acting, impeccable design, intelligent scripting and certainly the best Lecter since a certain Dr Lecktor (Brian Cox).

Fans of Manhunter and SotL should find a lot here to enjoy and the atmosphere of Gothic Gruesomeness is perfect for Thomas Harris's creation.

Excellent work all round, bring on the second series.

For anyone buying the product it is worth noting that Blu Ray picture is excellent, but as others have pointed out the special features are very limited, if this is your thing I am sure there will a second release later with better features so a rental maybe more appropriate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hannibal Tv Series Blue Ray review, 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
1. the quality is amazing, if you are a fannibal you should definitely buy the Blue Ray bc we all know how awesome Hannibal's cinematography is
2. The TV show is perfect in general, if you are a friend of ambitious movie making and sophisticated Horror/Thriller you should definitely watch Fuller's show
3. the cast is A+, Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy did a great job as well as Laurence Fishburne, Gina Torres and other supporting actors and actresses
4. I dislike the missing extras on the Blue Ray...it's poor, I was looking forward to interviews and a gag reel, but the British Version has non of it. If you want a gag reel or more extras I'd definitely recommend the US-version!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very special., 30 Aug. 2013
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this at all but got sucked in by episode 1 and found it utterly mesmerising, eerily beautiful and the most awe inspiring TV I have watched in years. Mads is Hannibal and acts Anthony Hopkins off the stage so to speak. I don't much care for blood and gore but (why on earth am I watching Hannibal you may ask) but it's so intrinsic and beautifully staged that in some way Hannibal's murders are almost like works of art in themselves. The music, the photography, the cast......this is something very, very special and I can barely wait for series 2. You really would be a fool to miss this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty!, 23 Jun. 2013
godzilla78 (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Whilst not being the biggest fan of the Hannibal Lecter character and films I gave it a go due to the cast especially due to the casting of Hannibal. No suprise but Mads Mikkelsen is excellent as the psychiatrist, serial killer and all round good guy (well to the FBI he is a good guy.....the fools!). Its a nice and refreshing touch to feature this take on the character set in the present day. Its a stylish and well presented show no doubt about it whilst also giving a nod to the fashion and style from the past.

Viewers may initially be forgiven for thinking that the show is going to be dealing with a different serial killer during each episode but thats not the case. Once the scene has been set the series then concentrates on a small cast with some very fine actors. Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) is the resident FBI profiler tasked with solving some of the most grisley crimes. Up until the series I had no previous knowledge about the importance of the character in relation to the Lecter mythology but I do now. For the most part he is the main character and its his own journey into madness which forms the backbone of the series. But I as said, once the general theme has been established it's only then that Hannibal Lecter begins to manipulate and decieve. He earns the trust of not only Will Graham but his boss Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburn who does a fine job as the with his voice of authority but treads the line of pushing Will Graham too far in order to get the job done). With the mental demands of the job taking its toll on Will, Hannibal is able to sow the seeds of doubt and mistrust between the FBI agents whilst also playing what appears to be a sane confidant. All whilst moving the people around like pieces on a chess board or puppets on string.

So whilst being insane its also hard not to like the character. He always appears to be an honest man despite being somewhat aloof. Thankfully this take on Lecter is not in anyway over the top and is quite understated. A man of knowledge, a taste in culture, music, clothes and of course food. Each episode is named after French culinary terms whilst the show did also employ a chef from ElBulli to help with the food.......and it looks amazing. There is a lot of dark humour from Lecter especially when he observes guests being treated to a meal in his own home.

Hannibal has his own psychiatrist played by Gillian Anderson. Beautiful and ellegant, Dr Bedelia is Lecter's intellectual equal and you may suspect knows more than she lets on. It's here that we see a different side of Lecter himself. He appears to have conflicting feelings about Will Graham's mental stability however he does have his own agenda for Will and indeed anyone who he feels that can serve a purpose.....his own. A couple of other familiar faces pop up in guest roles such as Eddie Izzard and Lance Henriksen. The show doesn't skimp on the blood and gore especially for a tv series just for those who are squemish.

All in all its been the best show on tv this year (yes, that includes you game of thrones but this is just my opinion) thankfully due to a brilliant cast and direction with a second series to come as there is still much to learn about Dr Lecter.

Hannibal - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2013]
Hannibal - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2013] by Mads Mikkelsen (Blu-ray - 2013)