5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, watch this series.
Published 13 months ago by TheInformativeDuck

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Series Terrible Release
There is no doubting the quality of this series, it was compulsive viewing and without the adverts you can see the quality of the storytelling, each episode is a tight well made package.

The Blu Ray release however is a let down, none of the extras from the US edition make it onto these discs, we are left with two five minute TV spots which left me disappointed...
Published 9 months ago by J. B. Pawley

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, watch this series., 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
So, my sister began watching this and told me it was something that I would be immensely interested in. I had no idea why, and to be honest, I knew very little of the genre built up around Hannibal the Cannibal. I of course knew bits here and there but I was too busy with other shows. My sister informed me that it was due to my psychological studies that I would involve myself with it.
Begrudgingly, hating that my sister is usually right in these instances, I tuned up and from the get go I was hooked. So much so, that I have invested in the set of Hannibal books, watched all the movies and other things identified with the character.
This series is nothing short of stunning. Both visually and in the dialogue and in the story-telling. It spurs the imagination into the darkest surpluses of the mind and with it brings fascinating points of interest. I had never heard of some of the things that occur in this show and was spurred to find out more.
Mads Mikkelson is for me definitely the Hannibal I most appreciate. He has taken a very different approach to Hopkins and Cox and not only has created a truly terrifying version but mixed it with so much humanity that I can believe this to be a real person. The manipulation starts right off the bat as Lecter takes Will Graham Alana Bloom (changed into a female by Bryan Fuller and was originally Alan Bloom) Jack Crawford and Freddy Lounds (also changed into a woman) These changes open up so many brilliant new ways to gain perspective on the original tales. In no way do the changes seem forced and actually suit the characters a lot better than whereas they were men.
Subtle hints and speech is taken directly from the source material, and is given so beautifully that it seems so natural.
Hugh Dancy is superb. His incredible performance makes you actually believe he's going mad and it's truly spectacular to watch not to mention completely heart-breaking. On occasion his accent does break, but it's easily ignored. Especially when you're so focused on the brilliant story-telling.
They use suspense so well in this show, you never see Hannibal actually butchering people, he is only shown to kill them or imply that he killed them. Nothing more. And it fixates you due to the fact that the audience knows this, knows that Hannibal is behind it all, and makes his jokes such as "It's good to have an old friend for dinner" much more terrifying.
I look forward to owning this DVD, and of course the season finale and even more so with the prospect that it has been renewed for a second series.
Well done NBC America and Bryan Fuller. This show will win awards for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty!, 23 Jun 2013
godzilla78 (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Whilst not being the biggest fan of the Hannibal Lecter character and films I gave it a go due to the cast especially due to the casting of Hannibal. No suprise but Mads Mikkelsen is excellent as the psychiatrist, serial killer and all round good guy (well to the FBI he is a good guy.....the fools!). Its a nice and refreshing touch to feature this take on the character set in the present day. Its a stylish and well presented show no doubt about it whilst also giving a nod to the fashion and style from the past.

Viewers may initially be forgiven for thinking that the show is going to be dealing with a different serial killer during each episode but thats not the case. Once the scene has been set the series then concentrates on a small cast with some very fine actors. Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) is the resident FBI profiler tasked with solving some of the most grisley crimes. Up until the series I had no previous knowledge about the importance of the character in relation to the Lecter mythology but I do now. For the most part he is the main character and its his own journey into madness which forms the backbone of the series. But I as said, once the general theme has been established it's only then that Hannibal Lecter begins to manipulate and decieve. He earns the trust of not only Will Graham but his boss Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburn who does a fine job as the with his voice of authority but treads the line of pushing Will Graham too far in order to get the job done). With the mental demands of the job taking its toll on Will, Hannibal is able to sow the seeds of doubt and mistrust between the FBI agents whilst also playing what appears to be a sane confidant. All whilst moving the people around like pieces on a chess board or puppets on string.

So whilst being insane its also hard not to like the character. He always appears to be an honest man despite being somewhat aloof. Thankfully this take on Lecter is not in anyway over the top and is quite understated. A man of knowledge, a taste in culture, music, clothes and of course food. Each episode is named after French culinary terms whilst the show did also employ a chef from ElBulli to help with the food.......and it looks amazing. There is a lot of dark humour from Lecter especially when he observes guests being treated to a meal in his own home.

Hannibal has his own psychiatrist played by Gillian Anderson. Beautiful and ellegant, Dr Bedelia is Lecter's intellectual equal and you may suspect knows more than she lets on. It's here that we see a different side of Lecter himself. He appears to have conflicting feelings about Will Graham's mental stability however he does have his own agenda for Will and indeed anyone who he feels that can serve a purpose.....his own. A couple of other familiar faces pop up in guest roles such as Eddie Izzard and Lance Henriksen. The show doesn't skimp on the blood and gore especially for a tv series just for those who are squemish.

All in all its been the best show on tv this year (yes, that includes you game of thrones but this is just my opinion) thankfully due to a brilliant cast and direction with a second series to come as there is still much to learn about Dr Lecter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Mads acting is outstanding as Hannibal Lecter in this series! He plays the character so well. Creepy yet strangely compelling! I love the way he invites people to dinner parties and is feeding them his victims. Sitting there with an almost smug look on his face! While in the morgue his victims are stacking up with parts missing and they are all puzzling over the crimes. Hugh Dancy is very good as well and i love how he deconstructs the murder scenes to get into the 'killers' mindset!

My only complaint is the extras do not contain the gag reel which apparently is on the American version! Does not seem very fair! There are some on youtube which are hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars finally a show that treats me like an adult, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I have watched the first 10 episodes and have been enthralled by this dark slice of television. pre-ordered!

I do enjoy Mads as Hannibal. I know it's sacrilege but I never found Anthony Hopkins frightening. this Hannibal is more subdued with small imperceptible smirks and looks that speak volumes to the viewer.

Also it has very little exposition in the sense of characters explaining what is going on and it must be praised for it's music score. dark and ambient and not a whiff of the awful pop music montage that end most american tv shoes these days featuring characters walking around in slow motion or looking wistfully at computer screens.

Some of the violence is shocking but isn't that what it is supposed to be. We must watch ten people a day die in sanitized fashions on TV and blink it away. the deaths in the program have haunted me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like having an old friend for dinner..., 2 Aug 2013
M. Gates "Buddy Gorgeous" (Area 51) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
The ending of the final episode the other night left me feeling gutted. Not because it's rubbish. Quite the opposite. I have to wait God knows how long for more!!

It's safe to say this show had me wrapped up in it's spell. I was initially weary of it, fearing the creators were going to take a series of books and films I admire and curl out a big steaming dog tail of a turd on the whole thing.

I realised how wrong I was pretty quickly and was left very impressed. I loved it's vision and direction. The eerie ambient music throughout sets the mood perfectly(such as the last episode where the use of wind being distorted lent it a very creepy atmosphere).

People complain about the violence. It's Hannibal. You know who's involved and what to expect. Water is wet, the sky is blue, Hannibal is bloody. It is what it is. But not gratuitously so. It's for a reason and beautifully executed. I liked it very much and felt I, as a viewer, wasn't being treated as a sensitive child. If I don't like it I have the option of turning it over. Same as you.

The acting is top notch for a television show. Mikkelsen played a great Hannibal, bringing something new to the table with his stony features and emotions. All the actors involved I was very impressed with but for me Hugh Dancy stole the show and deserves recognition for his portrayal of the character Will Graham. You read and watch the film 'Red Dragon' and not there's anything wrong with those particular masterworks, I just found the Hugh Dancy take on it much more interesting and impressive when he displays his gift as well as his curse and eventual illness.

I'm trying my best not to give too many spoilers so I'll shut up now and end it quick. If you haven't seen it, why not? get your copy as soon as you can, no regrets. If you have seen it then like me you've probably pre-ordered already. What a brilliant piece of work and I cant wait for season two. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing here is vegetarian (some spoilers), 24 Feb 2014
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
You know who Hannibal Lector is, even if you've never seen "Red Dragon" or "The Silence of the Lambs" -- a witty, cultured man who happens to be a cannibalistic serial killer.

He is also the sinister heart of "Hannibal: Season One," a TV show somewhat based on the works and characters of Thomas Harris. This is one of the smartest shows on television today -- a thorny, dark-hearted psychodrama, full of subtle manipulation and dangerous killers. It took a few episodes for me to fully warm up to Mads Mikkelson, but after awhile his quietly aesthetic portrayal really caught on.

FBI special investigator Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) has a special gift -- he is able to empathize with serial killers, understanding how their minds work. Agent Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne) enlists him to help in the most bizarre serial killing cases, and enlists forensic psychiatrist Hannibal Lector (Mikkelson) to keep Will from going off the rails.

And frankly, Will needs the help. His first case involves a cannibalistic serial killer known as the Minnesota Shrike, who kills young girls and almost murders his daughter Abigail. As Will struggles with the aftermath of this case, he is called in on a series of bizarre murders -- people turned into grotesque angels, mutilated into instruments, used as fungal fertilizer, missing children turned into murderers, an organ harvester, and a man who claims to be the notorious Chesapeake Ripper.

But Will suspects that a copycat killer is at large, using other serial killers as a smokescreen for his own activities. He doesn't suspect that the copycat killer is far closer than he thinks: Dr. Lector (this isn't much of a spoiler -- it's revealed in the first episode), who manipulates Crawford, Will, his shrink friend Dr. Alana Bloom (Caroline Dhavernas), and anyone else who falls into his orbit. Oh, and he eats people.

Bryan Fuller has always had a macabre streak (see "Pushing Daisies" or "Dead Like Me"), but in "Hannibal," that streak covers the whole canvas. Don't expect quirkiness or comedy in this -- it's all shadows, grey skies and blood, with only a few lighter moments (Will spending time with his dogs) to gently remind you that the world is not all horror.

It also doesn't have any supernatural quirks, yet it still maintains a dreamlike, almost mystical quality through Will's hallucinations, and the ghostlike elusiveness of the killers. Lector himself is almost like an elegant demon, conjuring complicated tortures and schemes while also listening to classical music and frying up gourmet meals of human flesh. His cultured calm seems almost inhuman, his cold sadism and elusiveness almost beyond human understanding.

It's also gory. Very gory. Admittedly you can't have a story about serial killers and cannibalism without some gore, but it has some truly grotesque, stomach-churning stuff that you wouldn't expect to find on network shows.

And while coming up with a bunch of one-off serial killings -- only some of which are successfully stopped -- the writers weave in elaborate subplots involving a potentially psychotic teenager, the Chesapeake killer, a murdered protege of Crawford's, and Will's increasing mental deterioration. Every episode creeps us closer to Will figuring out what is truly going on, and who is pulling the strings on everyone around him.

Dancy plays Will as a shaky, damaged man whose special talents are slowly destroying him, but who feels that he must continue to save others' lives. Fishburne is the steady rock at the center of the show, an essentially decent man who must sacrifice Will's well-being so that other people have a chance to live. And it has good supporting performances by Dhavernas, Gillian Anderson and Hettienne Park.

I have to admit, Mads Mikkelson annoyed me for the first two episodes -- he seemed very passionless and wooden at first. But his acting style began to grow on me as we see the few things that bring a sparkle to his eye (mostly classical music), and explore some of his cold, friendless world.

"Hannibal Season One" is a series as rich and dark as spilled lifeblood... and about as horrifying. Intelligent, grotesque and powerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a hopeless Fannibal, 20 Feb 2014
If you're a viewer of sophisticated taste, and you do not fear meandering in darkness, this is the show for you. I have a profound admiration for the production design behind this series, and the cleverness of plot and dialogue that concur to one of the most twistedly captivating atmospheres I've ever experienced in watching a show. The level of detail is stunning, and it dramatically increases the rewatchability factor. You'll find yourself watching each episode several time to savour (pun intended) Hannibal's table centerpiece, his drop-dead gorgeous attires, Hugh Dancy's outstanding performance, the subtlety of the actors and actresses, the nerve-racking humourous moments, and, if you're into cooking, you could literally spend hours to discover every detail of Doctor Lecter's fabulous kitchen. I've recently watched the last episode and saw the trailer for season two a bit later and it got me extremely excited. Bryan Fuller made his intentions clear: he wants to develop a seven seasons arc where the first three will see Will catch Hannibal, season 4 will be a reenvisioning of Red Dragon, season 5 of The Silence of the Lambs, season 6 of Hannibal, and the last season covering new ground. If you'll end up being as attracted to this show as I am, you'll be dreaming of the possibilty this series has to become - with Fuller's genius and his amazing team holding the reins throught the entire arc - an absolute masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hannibal Tv Series Blue Ray review, 18 Oct 2013
1. the quality is amazing, if you are a fannibal you should definitely buy the Blue Ray bc we all know how awesome Hannibal's cinematography is
2. The TV show is perfect in general, if you are a friend of ambitious movie making and sophisticated Horror/Thriller you should definitely watch Fuller's show
3. the cast is A+, Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy did a great job as well as Laurence Fishburne, Gina Torres and other supporting actors and actresses
4. I dislike the missing extras on the Blue Ray...it's poor, I was looking forward to interviews and a gag reel, but the British Version has non of it. If you want a gag reel or more extras I'd definitely recommend the US-version!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own. Unbelievably good., 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I'm a massive fan of such shows as CSI, Castle, The Mentalist and a lot of other crime procedural dramas. But never being much of a fan of Silence of the Lambs i was a bit reluctant to watch this show. But i'm eating my words now. Sometimes a tv show comes along that is just insanely good (CSI, Lost, Alias, Fringe, Prison Break). Hannibal is one of those shows. In fact, i'd go so far as to say it is the best new show i have seen in years. Taking place before the events of all the books and movies, this show tells the story of Hannibal and Will Graham who are in the employ of the FBI, helping to track and catch serial killers. Littered throughout are hints and forebodings to Hannibal's future. But rather than copying the movies, this expands and develops Hannibal's character.
The biggest thing this show has going for it, is its cast. Hugh Dancy is great as the paranoid, mentally unstable Will Graham who gets in the minds of the serial killers to help understand and then catch them. Mads Mikkelesen is equally brilliant as Lecter, the psychiatrist assigned to help Will Graham. Laurence Fishburne is a great choice as Jack Crawford, head of the unit investigating the murders. He plays a character somewhat similar to the one he did in CSI, but far more tormented and ruthless. The guest stars are all equally great, Gillian Anderson is sexy as Lecter's own shrink and Eddie Izzard has fun as a crazy serial killer.
The second best thing about this show is the writing. Every single episode is masterfully written: full of tense dialogue, intriguing plot twists, gruesome, creative murders and an unrelenting pace. The production values are some the highest i have ever seen in a tv show. Each episode looks like a big-budget movie. The soundtrack is creepy and elegant, adding to the feel of the show and generating some great tension- especially in scenes involving Graham and Lecter. Every episode is also brilliantly directed.
Overall this is an awesome show. As addictive as Lost and CSI, but definitely in a class of its own. Not one episode is even slightly boring or mundane. But, be warned, there are some pretty intense, scary scenes and plenty of gore and horrific murders here. Those of a nervous disposition should either skip it or man-up. I can't say enough of how brilliant this show is. Definitely in my top ten, maybe even top five. And with a second season already in the works, i think this could be the next big show on tv.

Highly, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very special., 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this at all but got sucked in by episode 1 and found it utterly mesmerising, eerily beautiful and the most awe inspiring TV I have watched in years. Mads is Hannibal and acts Anthony Hopkins off the stage so to speak. I don't much care for blood and gore but (why on earth am I watching Hannibal you may ask) but it's so intrinsic and beautifully staged that in some way Hannibal's murders are almost like works of art in themselves. The music, the photography, the cast......this is something very, very special and I can barely wait for series 2. You really would be a fool to miss this.

Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] by Mads Mikkelsen (DVD - 2013)
10.00