5.0 out of 5 stars Sinatra at the jazz pinnacle of his career
Published on 16 Oct 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great collaboration
When 2 great artists work together results can be very good or very bad. The potential of a great album is missed by choice of very mediocre material. The second album is much better and I play it much more. An opportunity missed, but still a good album for any Sinatra fan even if not in top echelon.

Gerald Lee
Published 17 months ago by Gerald L

5.0 out of 5 stars Sinatra at the jazz pinnacle of his career, 16 Oct 2000
By A Customer
If you liked 'Songs for Swinging Lovers', you'll love the more sophisticated jazz of this later take on that Sinatra magic. Post-Nelson Riddle and pre-Quincy Jones, this is mid-period Sinatra at his best. The songs are sublime and Basie's deceptively simple arrangements and superb piano give that famous voice room to breathe. If you have yet to own a Sinatra album, make sure it's this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swaggering cool, 26 Oct 2008
John Ferngrove (Hants UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sinatra & Basie (Audio CD)
I grew up a child of the 60's and for my generation Sinatra was sort of symbolic of everything that we were seeking to overturn. He was what my Nan and Grandad listened to. He wore a suit and cut his hair. And 'My Way' was the song of an old man at the end of his life.

Only when I got to University and having started listening to jazz of various kinds, did a friend of mine, who's tastes I generally respected, say "Here, you've got to listen to this". When I saw what he was putting on my eyes bulged in horror' but with the first few bars of 'Pennies from Heaven' I was bowled over, and it went on to become a firm favourite for our whole circle of friends. I watched the same process of horror turn to a huge grin several times more.

This album is so cool and has an elegance that has been completely lost in the intervening decades. It brims with a confidence and a self reliance that you just don't hear in the plaintive whining of most modern popular music.

The track 'Looking at the World through Rose Coloured Glasses' has been life changing for me insofar as the line 'In a bungalow all covered with Roses' came to define my ambitions of later life, and I still find myself singing that song while I tend to my roses outside my bungalow.

My favourite track is 'Learnin' the Blues' which is a perfect example of what happens when the Blues as sung by the time-honoured jilted male meets the elegance of Jazz, and is turned into something hard but dignified. Basie's band is brass at its most shiny and brash and it swings as hard as granite.

I never bothered checking out any more Sinatra after this for a very long while, because I didn't want to risk the disappointment of finding the Sinatra I had kind of shunned in my formative years. Only many years later did I discover he'd done an album with Jobim Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim and I let myself get blown away by 'the voice' all over again. But that's another story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrogant, Brash, In Your Face, Full of Attitude and I absolutely love it!, 15 Oct 2008
Mj Hudson - See all my reviews
I own every one of Sinatra's studio albums and this is among the best as it perfectly captures a vocal master in his prime who oozes confidence and ease in every lyric . A meeting of two musical giants and something that is not to be missed for any jazz, Basie or Sinatra fan.

In this album we see a wonderful blend of classic old songs such as "I Won't Dance" and "Learnin' The Blues" and new first time Sinatra recordings of songs such as "My Kinda Girl", and the effect is masterful. Whether you like hearing songs you have never heard before or new and very different versions of classic Sinatra standards, this album will not disappoint.

In this album we see "in your face" simplicity. Sinatra's singing is masterfully raw and full of passionate attitude, just compare an old recording of "Tender Trap" with this version to see this for yourself. This album does not attempt to be an emotional listen, it is designed to make you want to dance and sing along. Do not expect the tenderness of a concept album, this is pure hardcore swing at its very best. If it must be compared to any Sinatra album, whilst different, it shares a great deal of feeling with "Come Dance With Me" and "Sinatra and Swingin' Brass".

The arrangements are simple and brash and make no apologies for themselves, and the reason it works so well, and is in fact bettered despite this brashness, is because the musicianship is to such a high calibre. Each note from Basie and his orchestra just inspires Sinatra to sing a little louder and inspires the listener to listen a little harder. I do no think the album's dynamics drop below Mezzo Forte at any point. On the album approximately half the tracks have wonderful instrumentals. The instrumentals are not long enough as to bore the listener, however they grant a wonderful break in the song for the listener to enjoy the arrangement as a pure piece of music.

For me the star track from this album is "My Kinda Girl" however for me this album produces the definitive versions of "I only have eyes for you" and "Pennies from Heaven" not just from Sinatra, but from any Singer.

A rare album to find, if you see it, buy it no matter what the cost.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great collaboration, 11 May 2013

Gerald Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Sinatra revisited, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Sinatra Basie (Audio CD)
This was bought as a present for a real Sinatra fan, he rang me to say how delighted he was with the album and was convinced that it was the best thing Sinatra had done and that the pairing of Sinatra and Basie was truly a match made in heaven!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I only have eyes for you, 4 Aug 2013
Eric Mascarin Perigault (Panamá) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sinatra Basie (Audio CD)
This is one of the best or albums of Frank during his time at Reprise. Basie's orchestra, like the voice of Frank, are in top form and the sound is impeccable. The selection of songs is also the best. Excellent. Recorded in January 1963.

Este es uno de los mejores albúmenes de Frank durante su época en Reprise. La orquesta de Basie, al igual que la voz de Frank, están en plena forma y el sonido es impecable. La selección de las canciones es también de lo mejor. Excelente. Grabado en Enero de 1963.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pair of professionals, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sinatra Basie (Audio CD)
You can't but appreciate the skill of these artists and a good disc to have of them performing both together.

4.0 out of 5 stars class swing, 29 Oct 2010
Hiya
The delivery was fine and the cd is brill. a classic sound of old songs sung well with a superb swing backing.Love it !
Alan D

5.0 out of 5 stars A real keeper, 14 Sep 2010
This review is from: Sinatra Basie (Audio CD)
Frank Sinatra's decision to form him own record label in the early 60s gave him the power to record what he wanted with whom he wanted. One of his first invitees to the studio was the Count Basie Orchestra. The combination of Sinatra and Basie is a felicitous one: Basie's powerful minimalism, as smooth and sleek as a panther, is a great foil for Sinatra's rugged vocals. The song selection is far and away superior to their later album, "It Might as Well be Swing", as they tackle great songs by Gershwin, Kern, Van Heusen and other Tin Pan Alley classics. Sinatra and Basie were both tremendously swinging performers, and their meeting shows their genuine affinity, which would also be explored in live shows, notably the classic recording at the Sands, also on Reprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old stuff!, 13 Mar 2010
Roy Meadows (croydon, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sinatra Basie (Audio CD)
Although a bit short on time (36 mins.),I bought this for Basie and was not disappointed! (The guest singer is pretty good too!) 5* plus!