Colour: Matt Red|Change

on 21 November 2012
This is my 2nd Nespresso machine, after having a Citiz (which is excellent). The 'U' is a brilliant Nespresso machine. The 3 programmable volume buttons are a nice advantage and I like that they're touch sensitive. The automatic capsule ejection a nice addition, along with the black capsule box/drip tray which obviously don't stain like the clear ones in the Citiz.

Excellent machine and a good price!
on 20 November 2012
Having owned a Dolce Gusto I was getting a little tired of its bland espresso, is a very light roas, not much complexity or body to it. I had heard about Nespresso machines before this, I had planned on buying the Pixie but when I seen this had just been released, fully automatic, all three cup sizes I was sold.

The coffee is excellent quality, much better than a chain coffee shop by far. I personally like Arpeggio the best it's quite a dark roast but with a lovely creama. If you like something a little lighter there are 16 to choose from, this doesn't include their season special! I have so far tried the Hawaii Kona and Crealto specials and both have been excellent. You really do get the simplicity of a pod machine but the quality of home ground coffee without having to worry about the freshness and choice of beans and whether you got the ground just right, being capsule there is absolutely no mess either.

The experience of owning a Nespresso is an experience to say that. You become a member of the Nespresso Club. You get emails telling you about the background the the coffee, offers as well as the amazing customer service. Only the other day they called to tell me that my warranty had been extended from 2 to 3 years and that if it breaks I will get a free loan machine while it is away getting fixed. Service really is one way of putting it. The packaging and presentation of everything they supply is superb.

I recently got the Aeroccino 3, it's a great addition to the set. Unlike the Dolce Gusto you're free to use whichever milk you like instead of their dried and sweetened pods of milk. I am still trying to get used to controlling it, I tend to end up with very large amounts of froth on my cappuccino when making it, it also seems to froth more with Soya milk than Cow's milk. A little tweaking and I am sure that I will get the hang of it.

In a sentence, this machine is wonderful. No fuss, simply great coffee time after time after time after time. I don't think I could wish for more from a coffee machine!
on 21 October 2012
I already have a Magimix M100 Auto, which I am pleased with.

I purchased the new U machine in Japan,as the voltage there is 100 volts.The U machine is more compact compared to the M100, the water tank also swivels to reduce the depth of the machine.The drip tray is removable to enable a larger cup/glass to be filled.The drip tray is held in place by a magnet,which means it can be moved to the side and attached to the (either)side magnet.

The auto function means you just drop the capsule into the slot and close it, the most used setting is remembered, the coffee just flows. The capsule is then automatically ejected into the holding tank.

A great machine, more compact and easier to use than the Magimix.
on 11 December 2012
This is a fantastic piece of kit and the whole Nespresso "experience" is superb. The machine is easy to install and easy to maintain. I've always wanted to enjoy good coffee at home but have never had the patience to achieve this. It's true that the capsules/pods are quite expensive (get them online from Nespresso for best deals) but you're paying for the convenience. It's as a simple as loading a capsule in and waiting for a fantastic espresso (40 ml). There's an added ristretto feature (25 ml) with this model which widens the choice, as well as the usual lungo option (110 ml). You can buy the Nespresso U model with an Aeroccino included (the Aeroccino froths milk for cappuccinos and lattes) but the Aerocino can be purchased directly from Nespresso at a later date. All in all: excellent coffee, excellent price, excellent experience.

UPDATE: I've written that the pods are quite expensive but, after a bit of research, I'm not sure that they are. If you were to buy good coffee beans, take into account wastage etc., I reckon that the Nespresso pods are pretty good value for money. Let's be honest, 30p a shot for really good espresso represents value for money.
on 3 March 2014
It is a fully automatic Nespresso coffee machine. There are 3 buttons on top of the machine allow you to select small, medium or large cup of espresso. Unlike other models, locking and unlocking of the coffee pot is fully automatic. If you have a bigger cup and like to squeeze a little more out from the pot, go for a non automatic model. This machine would unlock the pot automatically after the selected size of espresso was dispensed.
on 7 January 2013
I'm not a coffee drinker but my husband loves the stuff.
My personal pet hate is cleaning out the grinds from the caffetiere; a vile job which always seems to fall to me so with Christmas approaching I thought it an ideal time to do something about it.
I bought the Nespresso U with Aeroccino 3 milk warmer/frother as whatever I bought had to be good at making coffee, easy to use (or my ludite husband wouldn't use it) and easy to clean. Going by the reviews, this seemed to hit the target and I wasn't disappointed.

Worked straight out of the box with no faffing around. It comes with a selection of available pods but I also took a gamble and ordered some of what I thought he would like best, (he prefers the lungo coffees so I ordered more of these from the Nespresso Club so he would have plenty to get on with over Christmas and they arrived in a couple of days). Really simple with three sizes of coffee (the guide tells you which pods work best with which amount of water), the pods drop in and 30secs later you have a coffee.

If you haven't used one before it might seem a bit loud but friends with similar pod to cup machines assure me it's actually very quiet. Cleaning is simple - the pods and drips fall into a stacked tray which pull out easily and a quick wash later they are ready for use again (probably needs done every 10 coffess though it's so easy I tend to do it each day). Other nice touches are the water reservoir which can swivel from one side to the other depending on which lay out is best for your kitchen and the fact it remembers the most popular coffee size from the last 11 which means you don't even have to remember to select that when you turn on.

The Aerocinno 3 was a last minute addition but although I don't drink coffee I find it fantastic for making hot frothy milk for a hot chocolate. Creates a really dense long lasting foam which stays frothy to the end of the cup. Clean it between each use though or the residue will burn if you do a second milk froth without giving it a quick rinse under the tap.

All in all, I'm more than happy with this machine as it does everything we need. The only thing I would say is we have the Pure White which is more cream than white so if you have a high gloss white kitchen and are a bit fussy about matching, you might be better picking a different colour.
on 22 September 2014
Been trying to decide on a capsule type coffee machine for ages, read in the Which magazine about the Nespresso and it this model was one of their top buys. Not disappointed at all the coffee is tasty and I just heat up a little milk in the microwave as adding cold milk chills it down just too much. The pods are a little expensive to buy but we dont drink an awful lot of coffee so we didn't mind. Very happy with our choice. Fits nice n neat in the kitchen.
on 5 July 2014
I very rarely write reviews but this machine deserves real praise. If you love that certain espresso taste that seems impossible to find outside of Italy or the very best Italian restaurant, then stop searching; this machine will provide it. What's really good - and not to be found on other espresso machines - is a set of three buttons allowing you to select cup size. This means that you can obviously select strength of taste. Added to that is the really good crema the machine creates.
on 20 March 2014
This Nespresso machine is simplicity itself to use. It is also very easy to keep clean and maintain. The machine makes excellent coffee and is small enough so I can take it with me on holiday. The coffee flavour is perhaps not quite up to a bean to cup machine but for the price it runs a close second.
on 25 October 2013
Beautiful machine that looks and feels great and makes the most delicious coffee. So many variations of coffee intensity and taste a MUST HAVE for any serious coffee lover.